The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Classic Car Rescue on Channel 5

edcayton

Well, I've given it 3 goes now (E type, 911 and MGB) and ended up screaming at the thing, What a load of tosh.

When the rear axle "fell off" the MGB it didn't half look like the springs had been cut through to me-there was no sign of bits of chassis coming off with the spring hangers.

As if by magic a new grille and refurbished wheels appeared and the "expert" made no comment as to whether the ride height had been reduced to match the chrome bumper conversion.

They also failed to point out that the value of a GT is around half that of a roadster, and I think £5000 is on the high side for a bastardised rubber bumper car.

Any thoughts?

Ed

I watched the 911 fiasco. £6900 for a shell? I know they command good money but really??

It's the feigned drama that has stopped me watching it again. The 911 "cut & shut" panic was staged badly and their "arguments" are just as wooden.

Rubbish.

Afterthought: The concept of a rotten MG isn't uncommon though...

Quite agree. It's your 'classic' makeover cr*p, a bit like the house equivalent, where things are shown as being easy even though they're done in a half-assed way and gloss over the real work and costs involved.

Having restored several 'classic' sports cars in my time my experience has been that it's hard work (to get it right) and a bit like the apochryphal Forth Bridge in that no sooner do you finish than it's time to start again!

Restrict myself to restoring 'classic' bikes now, though again they're rarely worth more than the restoration costs at the end.

• RMweb Premium

Rubbish !!

Bits of it have been interesting to watch but of course it's done to provide entertainment first and authentic restoration second - I can't imagine a proper workshop having 6 guys on the same job with a two week deadline!

One thing I have found facinating in this series so far is where they get the cars from - that farmer Monday night had a barn full plus a load more outside.

Lots of comments on the Channel 5 website - and most of those say how bad the programme is

http://www.channel5.com/shows/classic-car-rescue/episodes/mgb

If they got rid of the presenters and just show the real nuts and bolts of the restoration it would be so much better - but then it isn't classed as 'entertainment' and they couldn't sell the advertising - which is what pays for the programmes in the first place.

For anyone who doesn't know what we are talking about the programme is repeated on Channel 5 tonight - don't expect to be watching a serious programme - it's a comedy !!

Mike

No idea of the "actors (lol)" names ? the bald headed bloke did a similar series with a Indian "car creator"on Quest TV channel if you think this is rubbish you need to see that pile of $$$%@@@ !! . Again loads of swearing and hissy fits between them.

One minute the Indian car creator is welding bits of one car to another then grinding and hammering parts which ebven included swopping roofs etc etc and two minutes later as perfect "concours" machine appears which must have been 10% metal and the rest filler. Probably fell to bits after a week and lethal to any occupant.

A big no no is respraying any kind of classic car ( one of any real value) a different colour from the original spec. A collector wouldnt touch it, neither do you add various bodywork bits to make it "look good" such as the whale tail added to the 911. Which also had a miracolous engine rebuild which wasnt even shown it was done so quick.

Why do all these type of programs have only a few days to complete the job ?? do they really believe that people think they are always working to such tight deadlines ??

Do you think there would be more humour in a group restoring a steam shunter or a lumpy old diesel? A 10 week series of one hour shows perhaps? Possibly at Rileys or a large heritage site.

Mmmm, I think I'd quite like that Mike...

Does anyone remember a car restoration programme from about 10 years ago? - there were repeats on 'Dave' for a while afterwards. It was a 2 man team - Mike Brewer(?) and his mate the mechanic. They tried to make a profit on cars they restored. I thought that had the right balance between blokey humour and the technical side of things, unlike this recent effort from Channel 5!

I know it's crap, but I enjoyed it. Frankly it was something of a relief to watch something a bit rubbish. I know where the garage is - it's at Canon's Park tube station, and I'm convinced I saw them filming several bits of the series last year, including the unveiling of the 911. The bald fella is irritating and the whole thing is obviously staged, but it's still more fun than being forced to watch Escape from the Bloody Country or Big Brother by the missus again.

I sympathized with the fella in the first week who resprayed the E Type. No sooner had I resprayed the bonnet on my Volvo, was it involved in a minor accident with my father at the wheel...

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm, I think I'd quite like that Mike...

Does anyone remember a car restoration programme from about 10 years ago? - there were repeats on 'Dave' for a while afterwards. It was a 2 man team - Mike Brewer(?) and his mate the mechanic. They tried to make a profit on cars they restored. I thought that had the right balance between blokey humour and the technical side of things, unlike this recent effort from Channel 5!

The program was Wheeler Dealers and the mechanic is Edd China. It's still going., The latest series is showing at the moment on one of the Discovery Channels.

Bring back Salvage Squad

That's the one I was trying to think of the name of! :good: It was certainly better than any of the efforts since but still an abridged version of the story...

From one episode of which I have decent knowledge of what really happened (the Blackpool Corronation Tram), a lot of 'issues' were glossed over and the task made to look a lot simpler and quicker than it really was. Also the broadcast gave the impression that the 'TV experts' did most of the work, and to be fair they did turn up every couple of weeks in put in a days work for the cameras but a lot more was done in between by volunteer and contract labour which Channel 4 did partly fund, but their input was capped at an amount that was from memory around a third of the total bill.

I don't know about the later series but the "underneath the arches" garage was in Bow under the LT & S line out of Fenchurch Street in the East End. Sometimes you can see the OHLE from outside shots.

Fineman lives in Ilford which fits.

Best, Pete.

Archived