Humber Dock needs a new home

clecklewyke

Guest Tom F

It was the Cumbria Area Meeting of the Scale Four Society. Ian was testing out the modifications to Humber Dock, while I took some snaps on my iPhone, thanks again Ian!

post-6764-0-71961400-1365273495_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-06197600-1365273504_thumb.jpg

The rest of the photos can be found on my blog here.

Cheers

• Like 8

Tom, thanks for these superb photos. It's amazing how that tiny iPhone could get so close up and produce such excellent images. And hasn't Stephen Pauling done a great job on that tug?

But...

It's so good it shows all the imperfections that my rheumy eyes have missed - wobbly lamp-posts, leaning buildings, patchy paintwork...

Still, two weeks still to sort them out for Scaleforum North, and maybe then another photographic session?

Thanks, again to you and the other Craggies for a great afternoon.

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke

• 3 weeks later...

An impressive little model, though Hull is not a place I know. Purely out of idle curiosity, what are the overall dimensions of the layout? Apologies if I've missed them somewhere ion the thread.

Adam

An impressive little model, though Hull is not a place I know. Purely out of idle curiosity, what are the overall dimensions of the layout? Apologies if I've missed them somewhere ion the thread.

Adam

I'm glad you liked it.

It is as near as I could get to 18.83 sq. ft.  :angel:

The scenic part is 55" X 32" and the backscene is 23" high. It just fits into a Skoda Fabia estate car.

The next cameo will be much smaller - four square feet. But my lips are sealed... 

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my latest attempt at a dusk photo. 

post-4908-0-14277200-1367913074_thumb.jpg

I've also replaced the Portescap motor in the Y7 0-4-0T which appears in this photo. It now has a tiny Mashima motor and a High Level Models gearbox and it runs beautifully but with a horrible growl. I suspect that the motor or gearbox is touching something which is resonating.

I'm looking forward to playing with it on Saturday!

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 15

Ian, first time I have seen your thread. As one who knows the area, you have cought the atmosphere to a "T". You just need a couple of "Wild Women" to set it off. Mick.  

Can you lend me a couple?

Ian

Here is the latest photo of Humber Dock, "lifted from Hull Daily Mail's 'Old Hull' feature". :no:

In fact it's a cleverly GIMPed version by Paul Willis but Black and White really suits the atmosphere of the place, it being a 1950s scene. It really reminds me of the Iliffe Stokes' article "Does your Railway Live" in an ancient RM, which has always been a major inspiration.

post-4908-0-74188900-1368007555_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 11

• 6 months later...

Thanks Ian,

Just amazing.

I considered my self a pretty capable, and reasonably well-read model-maker 'til I found RMWeb.

There are some astonishing gems hidden in here!

Never stop learning!

Btw - your evening harbour scene - bliss!

Cheers

SD

• 3 years later...
post-4908-0-17901800-1511784938_thumb.jpg"Humber Dock" is a 1:76 (4mm/ft) scale diorama depicting the old town docks area in Hull (now the marina) as it was in about 1958. 

I have now lost 90% of my eyesight due to glaucoma and will be unable to continue to take it to exhibitions so I am therefore seeking a new home for it, preferably somewhere with a strong Hull connection. It needs someone who will care for it and exhibit it so that it will continue to be seen and enjoyed by visitors. I wonder whether anyone on RMWeb might be interested in acquiring it, maintaining it and exhibiting it?.

It incorporates important elements of the area which I remember from my childhood in Hull, such as: -

* Humber Dock lock gates and swing bridge, 
* the Minerva, 
* railway lines inset into cobbled streets,
* wagon turntable,
* the warehouse on Princes Dock which became a night club (the Waterfront/Sugar Mill/Atik), 
* the Ellerman Wilson Line offices, 
* a transhipment shed, 
* a Humber Street shop, 
* typical Hull terraced houses, 
* a bombed-out house with fireplace suspended from an outside wall,
* golden-brown Humber water
* the view across to New Holland with the Lincoln Castle paddle steamer as a background.

The scenic section measures 150 X 80 cm and is self contained with built-in lighting. For exhibitions it has a fiddle yard and sector plate which brings its length to 300 cm. I normally took it to exhibitions in our Skoda Fabia estate and it requires just one operator, although a second man is useful to permit breaks etc. It has been exhibited widely, most recently at the Hull Miniature Railway Society’s exhibition on 11/12 Nov., where it was very well received, eliciting many reminiscences from viewers who knew or had worked in the area.  I think it depicts well the slightly down-at-heel atmosphere of the old town area as I remember it in the 1950s - a great contrast to its current  vibrant state.

The track is currently to P4 standards but there are only two turnouts so it could easily be relaid to 00 or EM gauge.

More photos and details of the model can be found at 

Mike Megginson, a very respected modeller who was brought up in Hull,  made these unsolicited comments:

What a great photo with which to sign Humber Dock off from exhibitions.

It has been my great pleasure to see this layout a few times and even to operate it once, a few years ago at Leatherhead. Being born and brought up in Hull, then your layout has always had a very special resonance,  for it captures the essence of Hull's town docks so very well. Though the docks still exist, they are now a leisure amenity so they no longer exude the sights, sounds and smells of working docks as they did in the days of our youth.

Standing by your layout, one can almost smell the salt water, hear the cry of the gulls and be transported back to those days.

I do hope that the layout will continue to inspire those who see it to just stand and remember.

Note that the layout comes complete with all elements needed for exhibition (including supports, lighting, backscene, fiddle yard fiddle yard with cassettes) but NOT rolling stock, controllers or sector plate, all of which are required for other layouts.

Please p.m. me if you would like to make an offer.

Ian

• 2 years later...

Humber Dock is still ounold. Sales have fallen through, I’ve moved house and I’ve lost most of my site so it’s gone on the back burner until now.

However I’d like to release the space it occupies, so Humber Dock is still available for someone who would like to exhibit it. It is an excellent exhibition layout, easily transported and full of interestt, especially I for people from the East riding of Yorkshire who often spend long times trying to identify all the buildings. It would be ideal for somebody who likes building North Eastern Railway engines and would like to exhibit them on a ready-made diorama.

Here is another more recent image of it.

image.jpeg.2de2b219f6c44500f9c89107e7e42da6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, clecklewyke said:

Well, well, well. I can report to success and Humber Dock will re-materialise in a few months as Arlesburgh. I’ll not say any more as I am sure the new owner will want to make an announcement when he’s ready.

ian

Thanks Ian, I'm really looking forward to working on the layout.

From the North Eastern Region, to the North Western Region in the form of 'Arlesburgh Dock'