Humber Dock needs a new home

clecklewyke

super little atmospheric layout . as a kid i spent many happy hours hanging round here and railway dock i can smell the oranges now . the minerva looks nice aswell do they still brew thier own ? i think you are right for a sentinal placing a van in the many goods sheds on the dock sides .

• 3 months later...

In October I said "Maybe a weekly deadline to report progress will enable me to achieve a deadline of April 2013 for its exhibition!"

Hm - my last posting was in November but things have actually progressed. Unfortunately I've been distracted. For a long time I tried to get one of those little Dutch cyclists to work but there was no room on Humber Dock for their under-road track system and I just could not get my own design to work, so that, very reluctantly, had to be abandoned. Then I got embroiled in responding to MRJ's Christmas competition. I spent hours designing a timetable for Don Rowland's layout. I hope he appreciates it but I still have to hear from Wild Swan. Dead duck, more likely! Meanwhile I was improving a couple of turnouts on Bradford NW which were not throwing or switching polarity reliably. And then I "volunteered" to set up an email discussion group for my colleagues at Gayle Mill. And then..

Enough, let's cut to the chase. Despite all these distractions, things have moved on - but not at Sandside's rate. How does he do it?!

All the track is working well and trains run well. I've replaced all the roadway and pavements with Howard Scenics and Wills sheets respectively. These have been have given a basic paint job. I've also fitted new MDF bases to all the buildings so that they can be screwed to the new MDF surfaces of the baseboard - much more rigid than the previous system, and it allows the buildings to be removed and replaced easily. All the lighting circuits will be connected by small plugs and sockets, rather than being hard wired. The tug has been given to Stephen Paulin who volunteered to detail what was a fairly rushed and basic construction of a kit.

So, when I have painted a new backscene we will be back to where we were a year ago.

And this is progress? Yes - everything is far better built and will form a much better base for making improvements.

Here are some photos of the current state of play. Eight weeks to go to Scalefour North, so plenty of time to do this all - and to build some  more rolling stock.

post-4908-0-65078600-1361393746.jpgpost-4908-0-19399700-1361393931.jpgpost-4908-0-20029400-1361393973.jpgpost-4908-0-62277800-1361394014.jpg

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I've only just come across this thread, lovely layout - and you've really captured the atmosphere of the area.

I too think the water colour is just right - I used to sail on the Humber in the 60s, it always looked rather like drinking chocolate - but it had lumps in it - usually large bits of wood which you had to avoid in a small boat.  As for the moving sandbanks - less said the better.

I do think you need to show the leaks through the lock gates, which would of course be from the basin into the lock, as if the level in the lock was higher than the basin the gates would simply swing open.

David

The biggest compliment, I can pay this layout, is that it simply 'told it like it was'. It conveyed the essence and the spirit of this place back in the late 1950's, now well over half a century ago. I know that 0-6-0's and even an Austerity ran reasonably well on the original layout, but my T1 had a problem or two.

Anyway, now this lovely layout is being given a new lease of life; a lease of life which will allow us all to enjoy it for many years to come; for it's a gem!

Best regards

Mike

PS Ian,

I decided, a few weeks ago, that I would live by the sea. So now I am about to move to do just that. I had this idyllic vision of walking in the misted halflight of a spring dawn, in that place where the land meets the sea, through the sand and the surf and just watching the colours of the sky change through a myriad hues, as the sun rises over a flat, calm sea.

And so I will!

• Like 1

I too think the water colour is just right - I used to sail on the Humber in the 60s, it always looked rather like drinking chocolate - but it had lumps in it - usually large bits of wood which you had to avoid in a small boat.  As for the moving sandbanks - less said the better.

Thank you, David.

You make the Humber sound quite romantic. I could think of another, less savoury, simile.

:stinker:

If you look at Google Earth you'll see its colour well - but I've noticed that only the estuary water is golden brown - the water in the docks is now actually nearly black. I presume that as the dock water is mostly static, the sediment particles have time to precipitate out of the water, leaving purer, cleaner water in the dock basins.

However, I like the colour. Possibly when Humber Dock was busier there was more exchange of water between the dock and the estuary and I summon poetic licence to my defence.

The biggest compliment, I can pay this layout, is that it simply 'told it like it was'. It conveyed the essence and the spirit of this place back in the late 1950's, now well over half a century ago. I know that 0-6-0's and even an Austerity ran reasonably well on the original layout, but my T1 had a problem or two.

Many thanks for your kind words, Mike, and good luck with your move to the coast. I hope you'll be staying in Yorkshire?

• Like 1

As a big fan of estuary landscapes, definitely a +1 for the atmosphere. I've only been to that area in recent years (saw the Sea Shanty Festival at Humber Dock), and despite the new developments, it's not too hard to imagine it as you've depicted it. There are still rails embedded in the roadways, and the little swing bridges over the locks, and some of the streets behind the Minerva are still nice and "authentic". Singing the praises of Hull, whatever next?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I decided, a few weeks ago, that I would live by the sea. So now I am about to move to do just that. I had this idyllic vision of walking in the misted halflight of a spring dawn, in that place where the land meets the sea, through the sand and the surf and just watching the colours of the sky change through a myriad hues, as the sun rises over a flat, calm sea.

And so I will!

I had thoughts like that, then I moved to Cleethorpes, idyllic vision shattered.

Mike.

A little more progress to report. When I first exhibited Humber Dock I ran out of time and never got round to detailing some of the buildings, so I am rather belatedly trying to do that now. The first to be attacked is the Victorian warehouse, which is now a night club - for a while the Waterfront but more recently the Sugar Mill. This should have a small crane, used to lift light loads to the upper floors. I've now constructed this, using bits from, of all things, a Slater's kit for LNWR signals for the bracket and three washers for the pulley. 

Here is the basic crane in Plasticard white (turned through 90 degrees):

post-4908-0-53977300-1361802610.jpg

and the warehouse with crane, painted with Humbrol matt black and weathered with artist's acryics, black, white and yellow ochre (my standard weathering palette) attached:

post-4908-0-62493300-1361803302_thumb.jpg

Gutters and downpipes still to be added - I'll do this as a batch job as there are several buildings needing such attention. If I remember I'll also add a rope and hook to the crane before S4N.

The next jobs, currently in progress, are the re-build of the bridge over the lock and the lock gates. Photos soon...

• Like 2

Whilst I am an avid follower of RM web I usually prefer to sit on the fence to watch and learn,mainly because I haven't a clue how to use it. However, a pair of small steam tugs that regularly frequented the Humber and Princes docks would be the Acetut and the Lancelot belonging to Peter Foster. This pair usually performed towage on the trawlers down the River Hull from Grovehill shipyard in Beverley to C.D.Holmes fitting out berth in Princes Dock close to the old entrance to Queens Dock,which by the late fifties and early sixties was still very busy. This journey could take up to seven high tides because Cook Welton and Gemmel built some very large trawlers on a very small river, all launched abeam! Engines and boilers could not be fitted at the shipyard because of insufficient depth in the river to float a fuIly fitted vessel. lronically I do remember quite clearly that on one visit the railway was still active on the western side of Humber Dock well into 1962-63 with several box vans alongside the dock. Hopefully I will be able to get to SC4N this spring and I am looking forward to seeing this excellent layout. Regards, Serron. 

Thank you, Serron. Do make yourself known if you get to Wakefield.

I'll follow up that information on the tugs - I remember the fitting out berth well. A couple of years ago I travelled from Beverley to the Humber and back on a barge with the Railway Ramblers. There was no sign of any other traffic on the River Hull and the lock at Beverley and the lifting bridge for the "new" bypass both failed because they had been out of use for a long time, which meant we got back to Beverley after midnight. A sad contrast to the days of my yoof!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Four weeks to go to Scalefour North...

And some progress to report. Details have been added to various buildings, such as gutters and downpipes on the warehouse, lintels and window sills on the terraced houses and flashing on all the buildings. I am amazed that I had not noticed the omission of these details until now. I must have been in a hurry to get it ready for Scaleforum all those years ago.

I have also been reconnecting the lighting circuits and have discovered that several bulbs need replacing. Now where did I put those grain of rice bulbs?

The backscene has been replaced and I have painted an improved view of the Humber and the opposite, Lincolnshire, coast, with just a suggestion of New Holland and its oil refineries. I found a nice picture of Lincoln Castle, one of the Hull - New Holland paddle steamers, which I have photoreduced and pasted on to the river scene.

So here are some photos of a J72 returning to Dairycoates after doing duty on the Eastern docks, in so doing passing through all four foot length of Humber Dock:

First crossing the entrance lock, with the Lincoln Castle in the background.

post-4908-0-81810500-1363907063.jpg

Moving off the bridge over the lock and past one of the warehouses.

post-4908-0-08569700-1363907194.jpg

Entering the street between the row of terrace houses and the Athena pub.

post-4908-0-24791700-1363907125.jpg

Then a picture of the Athena and the adjoining warehouse.

post-4908-0-96518100-1363907147.jpg

A wider view of the dockside buildings. 

post-4908-0-04598400-1363907215.jpg

And finally a view of the Lincolnshire coast, with Lincoln Castle on its way to New Holland.

post-4908-0-57251600-1363907237.jpg

What's left to do? Well, surface colours can be improved. Some more details can be added (people, bicycles, etc,) the lighting needs to be completed and finally the rolling stock will be checked over and probably subjected to more weathering.

And then there is the little matter of the tug, which Stephen Paulin has "volunteered" to improve.

For once, I think I should not be having a last minute panic!

Ian

(Edited to remove some typos)

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 9

Yes, it's on Dagger Lane, once the Waterside Club, now the Sugar Mill.

My wife knows that club rather well!

She still has her old Waterfront membership card too - actually, she still has her LA's membership card somewhere! :lol:

Ah yes,

You did mention that one before Clecklwyke..... I too have fond memories of that club. Well, I say memories, I mean hangovers!

I'm hoping, (due to unforseen circumstances), to be able to get to scalefour north and so see this layout.

Cheers, (literally).

Sean.

Clearly your nights there have affected your long term memory as well.  :angel:

I hope your planning of those unforseen circumstances is going well.

Looking forward to meeting you at Wakefield.

Ian

• Like 1

I've made a couple of models of the type of stacking chairs that I remember sitting on, listening to our boring headmaster at Hull Grammar in the 1950s. They're made of brass wire and shim.

But - I cannot remember what colour their legs were. I know that the seats were pale plywood but the legs - were they a sort of hammered silverish/greyish metallic colour? Unfortunately there are no examples around here for me to check. Can anyone help?

file.php?id=6279  
(Please forgive the blurred picture - it's a clip from a larger image.)

Ian
  • Like 1

Was it anything to do with the comments received when Humber Dock appeared at Workington MRE?

Yes, Phil - but I am not so concerned as he was about children not being able to see it - they can always stand on the box I thoughtfully provide. No, it's the wheelchair bound I am wanting to help, as they have no other way of viewing an eye-level building.

That man's comments really stung! It was over two years ago now and I still feel the anger!

Ian