Florida City Tri-Rail, FEC, and CSX

Chris Gilbert

Good evening Prof/Pete

After its first outing back in March I noticed the layout didn't seem stand out anywhere near as much as Haston did

Without a frame or lighting it just seemed to blend into the layouts behind me.

Having added both of these I will still be able to operate the layout from the back and not get backache from bending over the back scene.

As the photo below shows I've tried to blend out the back scene

Not sure if it will work or if ill have to add a blue curtain across the back of the layout

I brought a length of blue material with the intention of creating a continuous sky backscene for a previous layout, the idea being it would avoid having distracting joints but in the end used pieces of painted MDF with a strategically placed chimney to hide the gap (plus I couldn't work out how to support the curtain over a long length without it sagging.

Thenext layout was the maximum length I could get away with building on a single board, so there is no need to try to disguise any joints.

There is a theory that the mind soon focuses out any backscene clutter and if anything, a badly disguised or painted backscene is more distracting than nothing at all. Some layouts seem to manage very well without them, but usually have a row of high buildings or tall scenery along the back instead.

Dear 298,

I wonder how that theory links-in/is-affected-by layout height?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

From memory (but without going too off topic by cluttering Chris' thread with photos of other layouts), a higher layout height will lessen the impact of not having a painted sky backscene, but it's too much a subjective issue to be explained in 2D photographs over the net. Layout height seems to have grown over the last few years, and now you rarely see an otherwise good one at table height.

It's also possible to take the view that some of the elements seen are so good that otherwise missing ones are easily forgotten- an example of this are the US Freemo setups we have over here, where the continuity between sections disguises the fact that modules rarely have backscenes.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Sorry....

For optimal realistic viewing.......

Viewable height = Eye Level Height

Now - lets be honest - I've never managed to achieve this - but it's still what I believe.

I would like to achive this - but it would upset such a hight percentage of the public who turn up at shows.

For that reason I have marked it down as 'Achieveable but not desirable' from a public point of view.

I have the same attitude to '1D' layouts!

Just because you want the viewing public to look at the layout from one point does not mean they will do!

Stick POV into google for all the options on this attitude! (Put Safe Search on first!)

fyi - Even a lower level laout can work!

All you have tp do is provide seats that match the 'lower level' of the layout.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

But wait there is more

My wing man has the rest in his car....

post-7237-0-19032500-1353714310.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to get it to Scotland ..in one go.

Hi Chris,

I did wonder about that........

Don't say I didn't ask!

Now you know why I was surprised when you rejected my initial cost expectation..................

THANKS!

ps - The power and accuracy of my expense calculator has yet to fail me..

Dear Chris, et al,

Chris, I must beg and grovel forgiveness for the following travesty of photoshopping,

absolutely no disrespect is intended to either you, the modelling, or the crew in the shot,

but I just _had_ to see what it would have looked like with even a simple single-color "sky" backdrop...

("eye dropper" selected from the tiny pieces of "sky blue" support in use already)

lh_compare.gif

rh_compare.gif

Again, utmost apologies for any offence,

post will be removed immediately if required...

Happy Modelling,

Prof Klyzlr

PS Shortliner had it in one, the upside-down pics came out perfectly down here...!!!

... I just _had_ to see what it would have looked like with even a simple single-color "sky" backdrop...

("eye dropper" selected from the tiny pieces of "sky blue" support in use already)

Interesting 'effect' there, Prof!! Might make the Operator's job hard - seeing the stock and dealing with couplings etc.

But I do think a "half height" backscene/sky (as at the ends) would make a big difference!! Just my own opinion, of course!

Interesting 'effect' there, Prof!! Might make the Operator's job hard - seeing the stock and dealing with couplings etc.

But I do think a "half height" backscene/sky (as at the ends) would make a big difference!! Just my own opinion, of course!

And it gives the excuse to feature a threatening mid-afternoon Florida sky...

Prof I like it

As the layout is never going to fit in my car in one go I may rethink the backscene but like Andy said it will be difficult to operate because I have not fitted any magnets and my KISS point control.

I've got about three months to come up with something before Glasgow.

I may use a sky blue curtain behind the operators as noted before, may be even get the operators to where light blue shirts too.

Anyhow back to this weekend

Great to meet so many people.

All ran well, passenger operation is a must for all future layouts. Really keep the punters and the operatators interested

It's the first time Jack (my son) hasn't left me to go and play with something else, I even had to send him for his lunch so I could have a play.

Other projects before its next outing include working headlights/taillights on the cab cars, adding sound to the tri-rail loco.

I may also upgrade the Amtrak cars and add some FREDs to some of the rolling.

I didn't get chance to take any photos but I did take this video on my phone

Prof it's take from the operators side which would never be seen with a full backsecne :)

I

Chris

Sorry I didn't get round to see you but I didn't get much chance to look at layouts due to either operating or sorting stock out.

I did sneak a look at your layout before the show opened yesterday though.

Ian

I know the feeling Ian

I passed yours a number of times but was on a mission

I was impress with what I saw.

Chris

Dear Jordan,

Purely IMHO, based on working a number of "fully enclosed module" show layouts, it would only pose a problem _if_:

1- "live shuffling" is performed in the staging yard

(If the yard is designed as a simple "select-a-train" traverser or sectorplate, as many show layouts are,

then no "active fiddling" need occur, and the degree of "eye's on" hawk-eye watching of "hidden staging" movements can be largely eliminated.

NB that simple diode-stopping sections on analog can give an added measure of "sight unseen" confidence when operating "Point-2-Point" layouts in such manners.

Pity DCC can't do simple/cheap position-related dead-reckoning "diode stopping"...)

1a- there is not-enough operators.

An (arguably) optimised-for-single-operator show-work staging system can run a number of trains "onstage, and back again" without needing constant human-intervention fiddling or restaging. (See above)

However, once "all the trains are wrong-way-round" (and thankfully, most US freight ops seems to be able to get away with "appearing onstage the wrong way round"),

it can be the work of moments with a 2-man show crew

(One op out the front "driving", and one out the back "keeping the show flowing"),

to "get 'em all turned and ready to fire again".

(Side-note: Push-pull passenger ops also open plausibly similar "wrong-way-round" appearance options to passenger stock,

whereas earlier-era "passenger trains" may look decidedly weird).

2- the "operator" isn't "out the front"

(suggest stand/sitting on a tall barstool at the joint between the "scene" and the staging-yard/info-board area)

3- the staging yard is hidden by a _solid_ viewblock

(a curtain/drape slung along a length of aluminium rod allows equivalent visual "foil", while allowing easy "quick peek around" by an solo out-the-front operator.

Bonus points, a "curtain" viewblock can be less car-space intrusive than a solid viewblock board)

Drof_leaf_Curtain_4_Jack_02.jpg

Drof_leaf_Curtain_4_Jack_01.jpg

"Brooklyn" hosts up to 4 trains in 2' x 4', in show mode,

with virtually all industry carspots represented by "hidden offstage" dropleaf trackage,

and yet can be completely and confidently operated by one operator "from the front"... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS I do take the point that creating simple-to-use "no-brainer" roadcase-ready user-interface controls which allow confident sight-unseen operations of sectorplates/traversers can be a challenge. However, that's a relatively-simple problem-solving issue, which most exhibitors face at one time or another... :-)

Other projects before its next outing include working headlights/taillights on the cab cars, ...I may also upgrade the Amtrak cars and add some FREDs to some of the rolling.

Dear Chris,

I can see some Kadee #5 centering spring pickups, TCS FL2 or FL4s, and 0603 SMD LEDs in your future... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Archived