Florida City Tri-Rail, FEC, and CSX

Chris Gilbert

Just got round to posting after a hectic weekend including a trip to Warley. It was good to meet the RMWEB regulars congregating around Florida City on Saturday afternoon. It was also good to meet Dan and put a name to a face, as well as Chris, Nick and Colin W. For what it is worth I think that the current setup of the layout with endscenes and no backscenes really works. The overall quality of the scenery, buildings etc, and interesting operations really draw the eye of the spectator to the layout rather than what is or is not behind it. Great work Chris, I was really impressed. :good_mini:

Cheers

Chris M

I visited this layout a few times on Saturday as a spectator and until somebody mentiond it here, I didn't notice that there was no backscene. The content and operation is so good it just didn't occur to me. I must say that several of the RMWeb layouts on show were really good. Apart from this layout some of the modern image ( are blue diesels really modern image?) was excellent.

Paul

A blue diesels layout is my next one, set in 1978 when I first went to high school.

when it seemed to be raining all the time, 1 in 10 of us were unemployed and the country was on its knees.

so I guess its just like modern times... :drag:

Except you would bag about 50-60 locos a day in about 10 different classes..... We must be a similar vintage Chris I went to Grammar in 76 and have just wept reading 'Seventies Spotting day in The North West'....funny what age does to you!!?

Chris, at first I couldn't believe what I was seeing, however, something strange has been happening at Deerfield Beach too!

post-7898-0-44329100-1354531443_thumb.jpg

I agree with your comments regarding Hornby and Bachmann, however, I do prefer their DCC sound over Atlas and Athearn Genesis, just seems

to have more bass.

Coincidentally, the BR blue 25/3 in your pic is on my Santa list, looks like we may be having similar thoughts about a 2013 layout. Oh dear!!

Mal

• RMweb Gold

I have been caught out with photos looking fine on the phone / tablets but upside down so on PC's.

I wonder whether I can get away using Fort Myers for my British outline stock??

The mission style building might be a bit too much of a give away as they dont have those in Torbay!!

The more recent Hornby and Bachamnn use version 4 of the Loksound decoder and they are loud compared to most other sound decoders fitted with similar sized speakers.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Help Request (No - I don't do begging!)

To help publicise the appearance of Chris's layout at Modelrail Scotland 2013 - we need some help!

We want some large format/hi-res photos of the layout that we can use on our website - www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk

Any photos used will be credited......

So - can you help?

Please send photos to me at phili1955@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

No arrivals over christmas to report (apart from a P2K UP SD60 but thats another story) so I thought i'd share a few photos of my dirty CF7

I'm currently trying to fit in Tsunami sound decoder in it with a sugar cube speaker but it just wont fit at the moment.

The fantastic weathering is done by Mr Williams

post-7237-0-61454200-1356730455_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-91472900-1356730465_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-50290700-1356730482_thumb.jpg

Chris

Are you using a regular chip i.e. wrapped in purple heat shrink or a circuit board type? I've has problems in the past with getting full size Tsunami's to fit in Athearn locos due to their height compared to the clearance between the top of the motor and the inside of the long hood. My current CF7 was or initially fitted with a GN type circuit board Tsunami with the small Soundtraxx rectangular speaker and a hone made baffle box then, after frying it, a Loksound 21 pin v3.5 plus converter board & a ESU small rec speaker.

Cheers

Dan

Archived