Florida City Tri-Rail, FEC, and CSX

Chris Gilbert

Afternoon all,

Thought I would post an update on my Alaskan CTU Spur layout.

After a few shows this year, which had highlighted the shortcomings of the layout I have given it a makeover.

As with Haston's makeover, it involved moving states, this time some 4000 miles from Anchorage AK to Florida City, FL.

The photo's below should show what I've done.

but the main points are replacing the warehouse, The one in the photos was built be Steve Williams and very nice it is too.

The grade crossing has been removed ( loco's stalled a few to many times for my liking

BMLA signals have been added (almost working,,,)

The biggest change I've made is adding a station and passenger service, hence the signals,

I've still got to sort out the fiddle yard to rebuild because it was far too small.

Hopefully it should all be ready for Warley and the NEC next month.

Sorry about the photos, the iphone and fluorescent tubes don't get on...

post-7237-0-03040400-1350218382_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-95314200-1350217122_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-52963700-1350217152_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-79620200-1350217187_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-98344500-1350218045_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-79959700-1350218059.jpg

post-7237-0-58650700-1350218075_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-18611700-1350218232_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-46878800-1350218339_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-63786700-1350218413_thumb.jpg

post-7237-0-82054500-1350217138_thumb.jpg

Chris, check out the last 30 seconds of this video. The Tri-Rail looks like a model, and why do they need 2 engines to haul 3 passenger cars?

There'a also a nice Geep + 1 boxcar chase in Tolga's video.

Mal

That's the afternoon T-Storm that comes in at 4:45pm precisely..............

We had a tropical airmass over us this past Summer (for a couple of weeks) and you could almost set your watch by watching the clouds build. then all hell broke loose for about 20 minutes (only).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I remember being in Florida and torrential rain in the afternoons.

I remember being in a stationary queue of traffic whilst the swing bridge onto Key Largo was opened to allow a ship to go through - the rain was so heavy that we couldn't see out of the windscreen even with the wipers on full speed.

It was just aswell we were stationary.

Chris, check out the last 30 seconds of this video. The Tri-Rail looks like a model, and why do they need 2 engines to haul 3 passenger cars?

Mal

Thanks Mal

I guess the GP49 runs as well as the Athearn model version :yes:

I know their stock is coming to the end of its life and they are waiting 10 new Brookville BL36PH loco and new coaches but these will be used on the new FEC seaction.

A lot of servies are now just run with two cars not three, because the cars need overhauling.

I've just got to wait 282 days before we go out there for our 2013 hols....

A ride on Tri-Rail is a must...

Hi Chris,

Track plan please!

post-7237-0-05441100-1351008673_thumb.png

What have you done about the exit side of the layout?

It goes under a highway bridge

Is it still going to be an L shaped layout?

No, all straight now.

I know, questions, questions and more questions!

Still - looks very good....

Thanks

Chris ,

I thought that the Brookville BL36s were for the Sunrail scheme? I've got a plan to visit Tri-Rail next year ,hopefully the GP49s will hang on until then....

I think you might be right there

I've a Kato F40 that needs to be repainted in Tri-Rail white and blue.

Not quite, I picked up the Trains magazine "Locomotive 2012" special the other day - there is a shot of the nose section of a BL36 being fabricated , they say that as well as Sunrail ordering some , Tri-Rail also have signed up , which I didn't know about...

Back to the layout , interesting to see the transformation from Alaska to Florida and it being "straightened out" . Can I ask who made the modern lamp posts on the platform? they look really smart.

Thanks Mal

I guess the GP49 runs as well as the Athearn model version :yes:

I know their stock is coming to the end of its life and they are waiting 10 new Brookville BL36PH loco and new coaches but these will be used on the new FEC seaction.

A lot of servies are now just run with two cars not three, because the cars need overhauling.

I've just got to wait 282 days before we go out there for our 2013 hols....

A ride on Tri-Rail is a must...

Dear Mal, Chris,

3 thoughts come to mind...

1 - HEP requirement (lead loco doesn;t have HEP available?)

2 - Cab signalling?

3 - Straight-up reliability issues?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Can I ask who made the modern lamp posts on the platform? they look really smart.

I have some like that - got them from Ebay. Made in, and shipped from, Hong Kong IIRC... a bit of a risk I thought at the time, but no problems. Ten to a packet I think.

Of course mine are still in the packet..... :blush:

Nice transformation of the layout, Chris!

I can answer the lamps question - They are from a firm called WeHonest in HongKong, bought on Ebay, cost very little and took about 4 days to arrive - I know becase I sent them on to Chris as he needed them. No problem dealing with them and absolutely excellent service. I have also bought palm trees from them. I think this is the model that Chris has - although from a different seller. one point check the voltage of the lamps as they come in 6 and 12 volts

Item number 271082020883

I have some like that - got them from Ebay. Made in, and shipped from, Hong Kong IIRC... a bit of a risk I thought at the time, but no problems. Ten to a packet I think.

Of course mine are still in the packet..... :blush:

Nice transformation of the layout, Chris!

Mine too were off ebay but via Shortliner....

Dear Mal, Chris,

3 thoughts come to mind...

1 - HEP requirement (lead loco doesn;t have HEP available?)

2 - Cab signalling?

3 - Straight-up reliability issues?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Prof

I think the double heading is a reliability issue as both as both loco's have been on Tri-Rail for a number of years so would have cab signalling and HEP fitted.

I will as the question on the yahoo group and come back to you all...

As for the straightening the layout up, the Bombardier cars looked pretty awful going round the 18"r curve

Also three coaches and GP49 measure around 45 inches so I needed to extend the fiddle yard.

​I've just missed out on a another 3 car set on eBay, so for Warley it will only operate with one passenger train and two freight trains.

Chris

Archived