'Tin' HAL

Hi Colin,

The Blacksmith 4Sub is of the production versions. It is an etched kit and it takes some working out how to do it. The instructions are comprehensive and there is a good history of the class included. I have built one trailer car and the bodies of the power cars. One coach is still in its box untouched. I have sprayed two of the coaches green but I am going to strip them because I want it to be blue. If you PM me your address I will send you a set of the instructions and history. Marc Models do a good looking 4Cor on their website, though I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Colin,

The Blacksmith 4Sub is of the production versions. It is an etched kit and it takes some working out how to do it. The instructions are comprehensive and there is a good history of the class included. I have built one trailer car and the bodies of the power cars. One coach is still in its box untouched. I have sprayed two of the coaches green but I am going to strip them because I want it to be blue. If you PM me your address I will send you a set of the instructions and history. Marc Models do a good looking 4Cor on their website, though I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Thanks Ian,

By the way, the screw couplings are Hornby products, as are the pipes and buffers. The latter being kindly donated by fellow RMwebber '43179'. He took them off a Brighton Belle coach which he is converting to run as a VSOE coach I believe.

All the best,

Colin

Just when everything seemed to be done, I decided that the painted-on handrails down the corridor of the DTC looked too much like painted-on handrails.

It turned out not to be a lot of bother to make individual handrails from Slaters 0.5mm plastic rod which is conveniently brown (given up on the metal finish). There are tiny little brackets made of 0.5mm black plastic strip. These have been attached to the sides with the most sparing amount of solvent so as not to damage the paint finish on the outside. I used to make handrails out of metal and fix them in, sans brackets, with good old super glue. Even I, who extol the virtues of the stuff at every opportunity, would admit superglue is the wrong way to go for this procedure. It did lead to a few spoiled window panes in the past, so perhaps doing it like the real thing has turned out to be the simplest way in the end.

post-8139-0-06373000-1354831474_thumb.jpg

The glazing is also in place and the door handles. They look a bit 'bling', but I rather like the sparkle. They will be toned down with some coloured varnish to be in keeping with the condition of the rest of the unit. The sides have also had a coat of gloss varnish - didn't like the matt finish.

Colin

An interesting comparison between the two designs of 2 HAL

post-8139-0-69051100-1354896451_thumb.jpg

I am not over-happy with the front of the green one, having had better information on the window dimensions etc. Such is life!

Colin

Edit: Just seen that l/h MU cable is loose on the green HAL!

Hi Colin,

The comparison shot is brilliant. I also like the shot of it passing your signal box. What make is your door furniture, they look particularly good.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Ian,

I should have mentioned that there were some photos on the Newhaven Harbour topic, but you found them anyway! The brass door furniture is from the Southern Pride etched sheet. I am now rather ashamed of the route indicators on the green HAL too, but they will have to stay. The photo also shows the difference between making models under magnification and er, not. You can also see the Hornby fittings in full in this photo.

I confess the Tin HAL has air pipes posing as vacuum pipes. The first lot broke as a result of adding them before the bogies were on. Not a good idea as it turned out. I will have to obtain spares form somewhere before making any other models, because my 'bag of bits for a pound' is now exhausted. I shall let you know where you can get these parts when I find a source for them.

All the best,

Colin

Of course, the making of the Tin HAL was not without cost!

post-8139-0-36535700-1354907049_thumb.jpg

This poor old Bulleid 2 HAP languishes in a siding awaiting its new dummy motor bogie (already made) and a magnetic coupling. This will allow it to be attached it to its surving motorised twin.

Colin

...This poor old Bulleid 2 HAP languishes in a siding awaiting its new dummy motor bogie (already made) and a magnetic coupling. This will allow it to be attached it to its surving motorised twin.

And from the prototype for everything department, Wensleydale Railway, July 2011:

post-6971-0-35610400-1354910364.jpg

Is it just me or do the dangly bits below the buffer beam on the last photo of 2698 (post 304) look a bit "limp"?

And from the prototype for everything department, Wensleydale Railway, July 2011:

post-6971-0-35610400-1354910364.jpg

Is it just me or do the dangly bits below the buffer beam on the last photo of 2698 (post 304) look a bit "limp"?

Hi Easttwestdivide,

Nice photo. It makes mine look fairly authentic!

Re. dangly bits, I do mention in post #306 that the first pipes put on the Tin HAL got broken. They were a surprisingly brittle and rather exposed to damage because the bogies had not been fitted then. As soon as I find a supplier of these Hornby parts as spares, they will be changed for the same sort as the green HAL. Some prototype photos do show these pipes tucked up on their brackets, but most pictures show the pipes dangling - albeit thicker ones.

(Oh dear I can see all sorts of possiblities for jokes about 'dangly pipes' now!)

All the best,

Colin

The dangly pipes on the buffer beam, are they air brake pipes? If so, shouldn't one be yellow and one red?

Yes - but they get filthy - "brushing cocks" is one of those jobs they used to give to the apprentices - spent a few very unpleasant days in early 1981 under EPB's at Slade Greens' delightful open ended "wind tunnel" doing this............... :O

post-8139-0-69051100-1354896451_thumb.jpg

I am not over-happy with the front of the green one, having had better information on the window dimensions etc. Such is life!

Well if you're not happy with it - £50 enough ? (I never did get that CIG :laugh: )

They both look excellent - you've captured that slightly "Mekon" look of the tin Hal superbly.

That loose jumper cable - you've actually modelled the jumpers to plug into the receptacles ? - Amazing !

The dangly pipes on the buffer beam, are they air brake pipes? If so, shouldn't one be yellow and one red?

Hi Cheesysmith,

Oh Dear, I should have known this would happen! As expalined in post #306, these pipes will be replaced with the same kind as the green HAL has got when I can get some.

Colin

Yes - but they get filthy - "brushing cocks" is one of those jobs they used to give to the apprentices - spent a few very unpleasant days in early 1981 under EPB's at Slade Greens' delightful open ended "wind tunnel" doing this............... :O

Hi Southernman46,

Re. "brushing cocks"! That seems to fit in with the trusses and 'dangly pipes' theme very well.

Ooh er missus!

Colin

Well if you're not happy with it - £50 enough ? (I never did get that CIG :laugh: )

They both look excellent - you've captured that slightly "Mekon" look of the tin Hal superbly.

That loose jumper cable - you've actually modelled the jumpers to plug into the receptacles ? - Amazing !

Hi Again,

I shall have to decline your very generous offer for the green HAL!

Re. the MU cable. It is just loose and not intended to plug into anything. Mind you, with scale curves and the tiny magnets now on the market, anything is possible. Can you imagine how long it would take to connect all the cables though!

All the best,

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Just a postscript on the Tin HAL, with some photos which I had overlooked in the panic to finish people's chaise longues and chairs by Christmas!

The trailer coach from the corridor side.  As I mentioned before, the handrails in the corridor could be the wrong colour, but look quite effective when they catch the light.  Don't think I can get away with painting handrails on the back of glazing any more.

post-8139-0-87427300-1356655313_thumb.jpg

The driving motor brake.  This shows the one area of the unit where there is still a slight trace of the roof to side joint (on the luggage compartment on this side):

post-8139-0-04993100-1356655342_thumb.jpg

The unit has been tested and, because it has a donor motor bogie, is already run-in.  A Bachmann 36-553 decoder has been fitted, as is usual with my models which have Black Beetles .  A 36-552 decoder without back-EMF that I had spare made the HAL run like a dog.   So that experiment in penny-pinching didn't last long and a new decoder was bought.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Looks excellent Colin. Well done.

On the matter or Tin HAL corridor window handrails (IIRC!) they were stainless steel. I could always be wrong of course....ageing memories...!

I seem to remember that there was always a lot of stainless stuff inside. Anyway they were always more comfortable for a half hour journey than any of the older alternatives!

Looks excellent Colin. Well done.

On the matter or Tin HAL corridor window handrails (IIRC!) they were stainless steel. I could always be wrong of course....ageing memories...!

I seem to remember that there was always a lot of stainless stuff inside. Anyway they were always more comfortable for a half hour journey than any of the older alternatives!

Hi RE6/6,

Thanks for the information on the HAL corridor handles.  I might just try and paint them pale grey, as they do stand away from the windows enough to at least try one.  I used unpainted Slater's plastic 0.5mm rod, which is a good match for the mahogany used in the older units.

I suspect that the internal windows down the Tin HAL corridors were fitted with stainless steel frames too.  I have never seen a picture of the seating to judge the relative comforts of Tin HAL versus the first series HALs, but did note that the seats had different tops to their backs in third class. I suppose that as the Tin HALs were designed for Gatwick Airport services, they had to make a good impression on the air passenger customers.

All the best,

Colin

Now  where is that very fine paint brush?! 

That looks grand Colin.

I beleive you are taking Newhaven to Tonbridge and I will enjoy looking at your several masterpieces then!

Hi Mark,

Yes I will be there.  I have spent the odd hour already preparing and repairing the layout and stock.  All the units will be on display or running apart from a 2 BIL.  With the period set at about 1971 instead of 1974, I shall be able to make excuses to run just about all the EMUs.

All the best,

Colin

• 1 year later...

attachicon.gifIMG_5455.JPG

Colin

Edit: Just seen that l/h MU cable is loose on the green HAL!

I don't know much about earlier units and originally thought 2 Hals and Tin Hals were both the same thing. Even without much knowledge, even I can tell the difference!

Archived