Scalefour North 2013

Decapod

• 3 months later...

Just a quick bump to say that the final Scalefour North details are now available. You can download a special limited edition version of the showguide from the Scalefour Society website. This has been updated with lots of links so that you can plan your visit to the show well in advance.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Date: 20/21st April 2013
Venue: Wakefield College, Thornes Park, Wakefield
Opening Times: Saturday 20th 10:00 - 17:00, Sunday 21st 10.00 - 16.00
Admission: Scalefour Society Members £5.00, Non-members £6.00

Layouts

Bristol Barrow Road by Robin Whittle
Clutton by Tim Venton
Humber Dock by Ian Everett
Knutsford East Junction by the Crewe Area Group
Lower Exbury by Jo Palmer
Waterloo Street by James Dickie
Wheal Elizabeth by Andrew Ullyott

Lectures

Wheels - Prototype and Model Considerations by Dave Carter
Scratchbuilding for Beginners by Allan Goodwillie
Electrical Test Equipment by Brian Eves

Demonstrations

Modelling Diesel Locomotives by James Wells
Point Rodding and Interlocking Lever Frames by Howard Bolton
Modelling in Plasticard by Geoff Kent
Track and Rolling Stock Construction for the Skinningrove Zig-Zag Project by Dave Bywater
Resin Casting by Jon Hall
Scratchbuilding in Metal by Allan Goodwillie

Traders

Acc+Ess Protocab
Ambis Engineering 
Dave Bradwell
Brassmasters Scale Models
Cambrian Models
CD3D Modelmaking
C & L Finescale (including Carrs and Exactoscale)
Comet Models
Digitrains
Judith Edge Kits
Eileen's Emporium
Elmet Images
David Geen Model Railway Kits
Alan Gibson (Workshop)
High Level Models
Hobby Holidays
Bill Hudson Transport Books
London Road Models
Mousa Models
NorthEastern Kits
Parkside Dundas
PenBits Model Railways
Scalefour Stores
Shawplan
Mike Thorp (photographs)
Wizard Models

Visiting Societies

HMRS
L&Y Railway Society
1903 NER Electric Autocar Trust

Although I'm a OO modeller, I intend to come along to this show, impressive looking layouts and demonstrators and good quality traders. I'll be signing up to the Scalefour Society too.

Cheer

• 2 months later...

post-6795-0-49956400-1365885431_thumb.jpg

Less than a week to go, so I hope that you are making plans to be there!

The final version of the showguide can now be downloaded from the Scalefour Society website. One additional demonstrator has been added to the lineup - Penrhos1920 will be available to demonstrate the use of Templot, especially the design of NER interlaced turnouts for the Skinningrove project.

Catering arrangements will be a little different this year. A local catering company will provide hot meals and refreshments. Hopefully drinks and snacks will be available all day, but hot meals will be available between 12:00 and 14:00 only on both days.

On behalf of all the Scalefour North team, I hope that you enjoy the show!

• RMweb Gold

Surely the correct description for this should be a trade show as the number of exhibitions is far outnumbered by the number of trade stands. 

Based on that slightly skewed perspective, so should the vast majority of shows. Who do you think subsidises the exhibition?

Mike.

Surely the correct description for this should be a trade show as the number of exhibitions is far outnumbered by the number of trade stands. 

I would prefer to think of it as a  show for modellers, where you can look at and discuss the layouts with the builders, buy the items used to make them, see the techniques demonstrated, etc.

With the change in model railway "retailing" it is difficult or even impossible to buy model making items from a model shop. Society and "finescale" shows such as Railex (Aylesbury), Watford or York are where you can get access to the suppliers. Long may they continue.

Jol

Well if you aren't happy with that, the solution is quite simple, don't bother going. As pointed out above though, if you apply that maxim to every show, you wont be going to - well probably any.

In most cases layouts are bigger than trade stands so the linear footage between trade and layouts is not normally that different, most people go to see layouts and buy from the trade. If you were to have a show when there was a majority of layouts over trade the entrance cost would possibly be four times the amount.

Guest Tom F

No.

It's what you call a show aimed at modellers.

Just to put this back on topic, If you want to attend a show where you can chat all day with fellow modellers, get up close and personal with some fine layouts without barriers in the way, pick up some of those odd bits you need for your layout or model (Yes theres far more satisfaction to railway modelling than opening a red or blue box), learn something, and generally get inspired to go home and start that project thats been in your "to do" cupboard for the last few years, then this is the show to go to.

Guest Tom F

If you want to attend a show where you can chat all day with fellow modellers, get up close and personal with some fine layouts without barriers in the way, pick up some of those odd bits you need for your layout or model (Yes theres far more satisfaction to railway modelling than opening a red or blue box), learn something, and generally get inspired to go home and start that project thats been in your "to do" cupboard for the last few years, then this is the show to go to.

So you could say it's a show for adults then. ;)

You've never been to a show like this before have you?

Come and see for yourself maybe?

So you could say it's a show for adults then. ;)

I strongly suspect there'll be at least one child present at some point over the weekend...

Guest Tom F

You've never been to a show like this before have you?Come and see for yourself maybe? I strongly suspect there'll be at least one child present at some point over the weekend...

Yes James, but he is far more mature than a few people on this forum I could mention, and he is only 3! ;)

Guest Tom F

I'm looking forward to Saturday. I'm giving Ian a hand on Humber Dock at different points. Plus things to pick up from Brassmaster and Gibson.

post-6764-0-75405100-1366105039_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-30805400-1366105046_thumb.jpg

ill be coming along on the Saturday,looking forward to it, the trade being a big seller for me (nice to get all those little bits and bobs in one place) and Im looking forward to seeing the layouts, be nice to see Bristol Barrow road in the flesh after following it on here.

My favourite small exhibition; nicely relaxed atmosphere, quality layouts, good demonstrations and interesting trade stands. The weather forecast for the weekend is fair, so I'll enjoy my usual stroll from Kirkgate station, along Thornes Lane beside the Calder and Hebble Navigation, under the railway bridges and through the park to the college. I always feel its a pity to go to an exhibition without seeing something of interesting places such as Wakefield. I might even have time for a quick first visit to the Hepworth Galley. Reviews range from: "Superb New Gallery, wonderfully spacious, and architecturally fascinating." via: "I keep returning, as I might find something I like, but it's a bit like Vogon poetry." to "The biggest load of crapp and waste of money I've ever seen". Wikipedia's laconic comment: "The building's brutalist design is not universally popular with local people". Sounds like my kind of place - I may need to come on Saturday and Sunday this year ...

• RMweb Premium

Flat cap packed. Ferret stowed. Looking forward to this. Looks like quite a contingent will be making their way up the M5!

Do come and say hello if you're passing. Not sure what era we'll be running. I'm thinking diesels...

Archived