Armstrong Whitworth D9

BernardTPM, is this the one you've built? http://www.flickr.co...rks/4066133522/ That's really nice! :sungum:

Thaks! Yes, that's the first test etch; there's been a bit more progress since then, a lot of it as a result of learning more about the AW locos. As I said, the book proved very useful. For a number of reasons it's not yet made it to a kit, but hopefully I'll be able to put that right soon. Various masters have been made, including parts for the interior

post-1877-0-48546800-1498932882_thumb.jpg

Might seem a mad idea, but the castings will hide the Farish mechanism inside and, as they will be cast metal, they will add weight for traction in the otherwise fairly hollow etched body. The link to the book is in post 2, but here it is again (I hope) http://www.rcts.org.uk/shop/publications/Armstrong%20Whitworth.htm

First of all, appologies to all for not having updated for a few days. I've been so busy I've had no time or energy for my railway interests :(

However, this evening I've painted the underframe on the loco I'm building, so hopefully I havn't stalled completly. I'll take some photos tomorrow of it.

Bernard, that power unit is absolutly fantastic! I'd immagine that must be only about 4 or 5cm in legnth, so taking into account it's size, the detail on that is smashing! I like that. If you're going to be selling these parts seperatly it makes me wish I hadn't fixed the roof permenantly onto mine as, even though it's got a couple of cylenders less, I would have loved to have one of your power units in it! :sungum:

Glad you like it, but I wasn't planning on selling the power unit (a 6LV22 as opposed to the 8LD34 in the 800hp Universal) on its own as the other end is open and the rounded rocker covers are completely absent (the roof moulding is solid underneath so doesn't allow room for the top of the engine). The controls and tip-up seat might be sold on their own; they're certainly going to go into some other planned AW type models.

Very quickly, as the taxi to the pub is due to arrive at any moment..... :P

The photos I promised a few days ago.

I hope to get this finished some day soon. I reckon another 2 or 3 hours and I should have this finished.

BernardTPM, I reckon you'd sell a few of those if you did decide to offer them for sale. They're lovely!

post-4688-0-89727000-1351875768.jpg

The rivets on the underframe wern't too bad in the end, were they?

post-4688-0-69549100-1351875775.jpg

• 1 year later...

Inspired by this thread I have had a go at a D9 in N Gauge the intended chassis is the minitrix 2-6-2 tank with the valve gear removed as the wheels are geared together, grills are yet to add.

post-1381-0-73028200-1390410589_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-01243500-1390410612_thumb.jpg

Steve.

Just one thing on the main radiator grille on the side (and it took me a couple of years to find out): these are made up of vertically fluted elements, not a mesh. Basically the same pattern was used on virtually all their locos as shown here (the picture can be enlarged). The same sort of elements were also used on the roofs of the DE railcars that operated on the LNER.

Yes that explains the large rivets on top and underneath the radiators they are curved pipes to the elements, do you have a clue to the look of the fan grill on the top of the loco I have just used a mesh again, actually the mesh I have used is a very fine sieve mesh supper glued to plastic card, this is then cut or stamped to shape, rough I know.  

Steve

Unfortunately I've not found any overhead shots of D9 however, looking at their other builds in "Armstrong Whitworth: A Pioneer of World Diesel Traction", it would seem they generally used a fine mesh grille. If it were modelled see-through a couple of other details: the centre of the fan blade has an aerodynamic centre, a bit like the streamlined boss on a propeller fighter, etc. (AW built aircraft too) and there are two longitudinal support strips for the mesh. It's not entirely clear from the photos whether these support strips were under or above the mesh or possibly could be either. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived