Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The second of the recently-purchased Westerns has entered service.  Supplied as D1012 Western Firebrand I have used Fox plates to rechristen this as D1051 Western Ambassador as I already have a maroon D1012.  As with the green D1002 shown above the roof lugs have defeated me but the other "bits" have been fitted and include the headcode panel being used to display the loco number, made up from spare numerals from previous Dapol arrivals, as was the case on many late-surviving class 35 and 52 locos after TOPS made the 4-character display redundant.  More pictures are in the weathering thread linked in my signature.

i-SHWTkPJ-L.jpg

• Like 12

The second of the recently-purchased Westerns has entered service.  Supplied as D1012 Western Firebrand I have used Fox plates to rechristen this as D1051 Western Ambassador as I already have a maroon D1012.  As with the green D1002 shown above the roof lugs have defeated me but the other "bits" have been fitted and include the headcode panel being used to display the loco number, made up from spare numerals from previous Dapol arrivals, as was the case on many late-surviving class 35 and 52 locos after TOPS made the 4-character display redundant.  More pictures are in the weathering thread linked in my signature.

i-SHWTkPJ-L.jpg

Excellent weathering young Rick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The S & T Department has made a strategic decision with regards to the non-operational Dapol signal.  It illuminates but the motor does no function.  Investigation of the innards have failed to locate any problem but did result in something tiny springing out never to be seen again.

As the arm remains posable and the lamp works this signal has been deployed as Penhayle Bay down starter.  This is almost always "off" because of the local rule that trains stopping in the station must draw up to the section signal ahead if more than three coaches long.  That is due to the short platforms.

So the signal has been fitted and has replaced an ancient Crescent item.  It remains on the right-hand side and angled at around 45 degrees to the running line for sighting purposes.  And it can now be posed in either position as seen.

Train stopped at the platform with the arm "off" - obviously a short train going by the rules.

i-3FnBHkW-L.jpg

And train drawing away with the arm returned to "on"

i-nCV8sMh-L.jpg

• Like 13

Have finally gotten around to reading the thread fully!

I thought it seemed a bit familiar for the first few pages, and then embarrassingly found this...

Hi Gwiwer,

I was given this thread by Peter (From Waverley Shed to Galashiels). It looks great, but I do not have the time to go through the whole thread atm. I will try and go through at one stage or another, so don't be surprised if a couple of hundred likes etc come your way this week!!

Regards,

Peter

(Dunoon)

Real shame I didn't get around to finishing it sooner! 

It's a lovely layout, and it's a shame that it got damaged by the heat down here! But it's come back better than ever!

I particularly liked a shot of a Cl22-Cl42/43 double header, one thing I would like to do is that (even though it's unprototypical for either, let along both, to be running in Scotland, Rule 1 applies) and a Cl23-Cl55 double header, to have a Baby Warship-Warship double header, as well as a Baby Deltic-Deltic would be somewhat amusing (to me at least :D

Keep up the good work!

Also I have liked the Facebook page, you probably noticed my comments a few hours ago.

Peter

Edited to avoid confusion re: unprototypical locos in Scotland

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia
  • Like 2

The class 22 + class 42 double-header is actually quite prototypical. The first few Warships had a different multiple working coupling code from the rest of their class, as did the first batch of class 22s. There were also a good many instances of working in tandem, i.e. two incompatible (for multiple control) locomotives each with a crew driving them.

The class 22 + class 42 double-header is actually quite prototypical. The first few Warships had a different multiple working coupling code from the rest of their class, as did the first batch of class 22s. There were also a good many instances of working in tandem, i.e. two incompatible (for multiple control) locomotives each with a crew driving them.

Unprototypical was more in relation to either (or in this case both) being in Scotland! I knew the first few had a different MU code (wasn't it the first 3?), but didn't know the same applied to the first batch of 22s. 

Thanks for the info, that's quite interesting

Post edited to avoid further confusion.

• Like 1

Yes, it would have been unusual in Scotland. North British did send the locos out for test runs before sending them south, but any double heading would have had to have been in tandem, as the NBL class 43 Warships all had the later MU code.

I believe a lot of the Warships of both classes 42 and 43 later lost the MU facility through disuse and lack of maintenance, although certain selected locomotives had it reinstated later for particular traffic requirements.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of the WR diesel-hydraulic types:

D600 - D604 were coupling code "Orange Square" 

D800 - D802 did not carry a coupling code and could not be worked in multiple

D803 - D870 were coupling code "White Diamond" and could be coupled with others of the same series despite class differences

D1000 - D1073 did not carry a coupling code and could not be worked in multiple

D6300 - D6305 were coupling code "Orange Square"
D6306 - D6357 were coupling code "White Diamond"

D7000 - D7100 were coupling code "Yellow Triangle"

D9500 - D9555 did not carry a coupling code and could not work in multiple

"Working in multiple" means more than one locomotive coupled together and driven by one driver / crew in the leading cab.

The inability to work in multiple did not prevent locomotives of any class (in theory at least) being coupled together in tandem and each being driven by its own crew.  Examples are listed below some of which could have been multipled while others must have been in tandem as multiple working was not possible:

Common, or reasonably common, pairings on the WR were: 

D6xx + D63xx 

D8xx + D8xx

D8xx + D1xxx

D8xx + D63xx

D63xx + D63xx

Less common pairings known to have existed include:

D8xx+ D7xxx

D1xxx + D1xxx

D63xx + D7xxx

D7xxx + D7xxx

At least one D6xx + D63xx + D63xx has been recorded.

Twin Westerns only happened for loco balancing purposes or in the event of a partial or complete failure of one locomotive.  Some of the other pairings such as Warship plus Western which was almost a daily sight in some places, or  or two Hymeks which was decidedly rare, were also more about getting the second loco to where it was needed than being required to power the train.

It's too long ago now for me to recall but while I did see plenty of double-headed Warships I haven't a clue whether both were crewed or were being run in multiple.  Either was possible.  I have however personally seen all of the above combinations at least once except for the triple-header.  Whether any worked with D95xx I can't say as I never managed to see a "Teddy Bear" in BR service.

• RMweb Premium

The weather continues to be wet and cold making forays outside few and far between.  Works to repair damage to the fiddle yard are on hold until better weather arrives since I don't need that much capacity when only running a couple of trains for my own amusement.

Works to install Dapol signals have proceeded but their operation is delayed because a package of switches and a controller expected from Camborne has not arrived.  After an emailed enquiry I received a humble apology that it had not ion fact been sent.  As they said themselves "Beatings will continue until performance improves".  That's a very rare slip up from the Kernow MRC folks but not one that troubles me.

Of passing interest, perhaps, is the fact that I can record the layout's Facebook page has just topped 2000 followers who therefore receive every post direct to their news feeds.  Individual images continue to be viewed by as many as 15,000 people per post.  The link is here; you don't need to be a Facebook user to view or subscribe though there's nothing there which isn't in this thread.  https://www.facebook.com/penhaylebay/  As a means to attract new interest in the hobby via social media, particularly among younger people, it seems to be working as intended.

• Like 7

Rick, just a note re the Dapol Signals, I've had 4 fail, Dapol have replaced them, but I was using a Gaugemaster T1 16V AC Transformer, according to Dapol, these peak at 18V so burn out the Signals. They advised getting a 12V AC Transformer which is enough to power the Signals but with a lower peak that won't damage them.

All the best,

• RMweb Gold

Rick, just a note re the Dapol Signals, I've had 4 fail, Dapol have replaced them, but I was using a Gaugemaster T1 16V AC Transformer, according to Dapol, these peak at 18V so burn out the Signals. They advised getting a 12V AC Transformer which is enough to power the Signals but with a lower peak that won't damage them.

This is ridiculous. Surely Dapol must know that people have model railway controllers that put out a 16v AC output, and they should have made their signals work on that without failing. If DCC Concepts can make their stuff work with a wide voltage range, surely everybody else can.

Edited by Budgie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol signals are a very marginal purchase which I thought twice about before investing.  Of the first batch one has a non-functional motor as described but has been found a location.  Of the second batch I tested all three on the layout power to which they would be connected and which is 12v AC.  All three worked correctly.  I therefore carried out my required modifications namely shortening the arm and consequently having to repaint it.  The posts and ladders on all have also been painted so that nothing remains of the "naked" plastic bar the coloured lenses.  When it came time to install the later batch only two worked and as with the initial batch one has a totally non-functional motor unit despite it testing OK.

So I now have bought six signals of which only four work as they should (though all six display illumination through the lenses and can be posed) which is most unsatisfactory.  As they have been modified after testing I don't believe I can now return them but will not be investing in any more.

Dapol seems to suffer major quality control issues across the board from its rolling stock (bits falling off incorrectly-coloured electro-diesels) to lineside features (signal failures reported by numerous users) and sadly-drooping couplers which must be modified, clipped or removed to avoid hem striking switch blades, board crossings or other objects below rail level in the "four foot".  

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The worst of the winter weather might be behind us.  The evenings are certainly getting lighter and the days warmer.  The dust and cobwebs are being removed from Penhayle Bay for another season.

With Spring sunlight across the scene the Inter City 125 high speed train cruises past Wheal Garden mine with a Penzance - Paddington working and a glimpse of the Cornish coastline in the distance.

i-NKBCZgN-L.jpg

Connection maintained.  A single-car class 153 DMU has arrived at Treheligan in time to meet the main line train.  This is formed of a class 108 "first generation" DMU in place of the expected class 158 Express unit.  Such workings existed in Cornwall for a few years due to a shortage of class 158 units; the older ones were generally preferred by locals for short trips anyway and had arrived in Cornwall after being pensioned off from the Swansea area.

i-GhhXHsb-L.jpg

The annual Spring clean has resulted in more K&M (Peco) gorse being added to the stone circle and the arrival for the first time of heather courtesy of a supplier at Hayle MRC's Spring exhibition recently

i-kFd82Mp-L.jpg

These two views, above and below, show how close to the edge this scene is and why it isn't possible to photograph it without going off-scene.  I can't raise the height of the back scenes as that would prevent us opening the windows!

i-h7BB9kQ-L.jpg

More gorse and heather also adorn the other end along the cliffs where an additional attraction distraction has also arrived 

i-zJ8gz9V-L.jpg

She's going to get some badly scratched legs in all that gorse!!!

i-b7S5sdR-L.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

These two views, above and below, show how close to the edge this scene is and why it isn't possible to photograph it without going off-scene.  I can't raise the height of the back scenes as that would prevent us opening the windows!

Temporary backscenes for photography?

The worst of the winter weather might be behind us.  The evenings are certainly getting lighter and the days warmer.  The dust and cobwebs are being removed from Penhayle Bay for another season.

With Spring sunlight across the scene the Inter City 125 high speed train cruises past Wheal Garden mine with a Penzance - Paddington working and a glimpse of the Cornish coastline in the distance.

i-NKBCZgN-L.jpg

Connection maintained.  A single-car class 153 DMU has arrived at Treheligan in time to meet the main line train.  This is formed of a class 108 "first generation" DMU in place of the expected class 158 Express unit.  Such workings existed in Cornwall for a few years due to a shortage of class 158 units; the older ones were generally preferred by locals for short trips anyway and had arrived in Cornwall after being pensioned off from the Swansea area.

i-GhhXHsb-L.jpg

The annual Spring clean has resulted in more K&M (Peco) gorse being added to the stone circle and the arrival for the first time of heather courtesy of a supplier at Hayle MRC's Spring exhibition recently

i-kFd82Mp-L.jpg

i-h7BB9kQ-L.jpg

More gorse and heather also adorn the other end along the cliffs where an additional attraction distraction has also arrived 

i-zJ8gz9V-L.jpg

She's going to get some badly scratched legs in all that gorse!!!

i-b7S5sdR-L.jpg

Nice girl, that Heather....

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Well yes must agree , mind you all the walks i do in  Cornwall , never seen that view yet !!!!!!!

A case of needing to be in the right place at the right time.  Or in certain places at almost any time ;)

I have always maintained that I will only represent in model form what can be seen in the real world with the solitary exception of the mermaid.  The layout, for all its size, includes rabbits, birds, bees (1:76 scale bees?? :O ) and various other little bits and pieces which are not so frequently modelled.  I have even presented "scale cobwebs" in photos which were real 1:1 webs conveniently left on lights and signs by the local arachnid population.  The occasional "adult" glimpse in secluded spots is fairly normal nowadays though having Heather displaying her two-aspect signal to approaching drivers might give rise to a few phone calls to "Control" ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have certainly come across it on a more secluded Cornish beach, much to my surprise (but without the shorts and not a redhead).

Does Carlyon Bay still have an area set aside for that sort of thing?