The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Premium

David,

Super model, in all its rugged utility. No-one did pairs of matched ploughing engines better than Fowlers - in action they made the earth tremble!

Dava

Guest Isambarduk

Glad you liked it, Dava.

"As the proposed model has lamps - fitted? - then perhaps its something like a Barclay 0-4-0, with Jack-shaft and lamp units akin to an 03?!"

Yes, could be ... but, thinking about it, perhaps we're not talking head code and tail lamps but more working lamps / headlights? (bit like ploughing lights!)  See H W Robinson at:

www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/photos/ca133.jpg

but, then again, a more modern loco that is used on the mainline is a more likely to have lamps that fit on lamp irons.

David

• 3 weeks later...

It is 7:33am on Saturday 2nd March. I am about to set off to the GOG Spring Show at Kettering where the next Ixion loco will be announced. Details will be posted on RMWeb later today. As an aside, I am taking Chaz Harrison of Dock Green fame with me.

I would say any early John Fowler diesel or a small Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 diesel. The Hudswell (such as Carroll at the Middleton Railway) is something that has never been available as a kit and with a timespan of use from the early 1930s to the 1970s could appeal to a lot of modellers who want a small industrial diesel.

:locomotive:

Hello there !

What a pleasure to see this loco becoming reality as RTR-model.

Even more as having it suggested last November here.

With the Ixion Hudswell Clarke at hand and a kit (by ABS/Wrightlines) of a MR Simplex 40 hp ('Tinturtle') standard gauge conversion there should occure a small shunting layout.

I am looking forward to recieve it and to shunt then endlessly..... 

@ David: Thank you very much for the picture above of your excellent model and the link ( http://www.davidlosm.../LMS_Fowler.htm ) a while before.

Best wishes

Dirk

Guest Isambarduk

Ah, thank you, Barnaby.  It's all about enjoyment and satisfaction - if we all manage to acheive these in our own different ways then 'result!', I say.  Let's not worry about how others manage it or what they think of how we achieve it.  David

• 1 month later...

There is only one way that the sales work out, so you know what to do. England expects...

Hi Chris,

Although the Fowler is going to be a cracking little loco, it does seem a little 'esoteric' (sorry to say), are there any plans to produce the more numerous variant eg. the 45bhp version?

Or it is possible to modify your variant into eg a 45 BHP version?

A later Fowler (round bonnet type) - may also be a good seller, there used to be a kit yet, sadly no longer, ripe for a RTR version?

Kind regards,

CME

Hi Chris,

Although the Fowler is going to be a cracking little loco, it does seem a little 'esoteric' (sorry to say), are there any plans to produce the more numerous variant eg. the 45bhp version?

Or it is possible to modify your variant into eg a 45 BHP version?

A later Fowler (round bonnet type) - may also be a good seller, there used to be a kit yet, sadly no longer, ripe for a RTR version?

Kind regards,

CME

I don't think that will happen - ever. A kit would be nice though.

When you say "round bonnet type" do you mean the 422 class that Impetus kits used to do in both 4mm and 7mm?

I don't think that will happen - ever. A kit would be nice though.

When you say "round bonnet type" do you mean the 422 class that Impetus kits used to do in both 4mm and 7mm?

Hi Ruston,

Sadly it looks like the GWR variant wouldnt be able to be converted into the more numerous 45 BHP variant, sadly for me the GWR variant is still too esoteric - and excludes me from purchasing one of Ixion's fine locos (friends have the 0-6-0's and they are superb!).

Sadly also the 'Impetus' kit is no more (7mm) and Karlgarin Models have been on about producing a revised version of the kit for the past 5-10 years!? So as far as I am concerned such is NLA....

I remember the locos at Coopers/Rover (Highworth Sidings) in Swindon and the S&CRS have one....anyone fancy one in yellow with all over wasp stripes? LOL!!

ATVB

CME

Yes, Paul, that's a 422. They were a diesel-hydraulic. Another class of Fowler that was similar in appearance was the 421 but that used a mechanical gearbox, was smaller overall, and had the cab entry at the sides, rather than at the rear.

http://www.martynhilbert.railpic.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/4-15-2010_017_28800x51929.jpg

post-494-0-20265400-1294581326_thumb.jpg

Here is a YouTube clip of a round-nosed Fowler on the Poulton and Wyre Railway. The chassis looks identical to the Ixion model, but with the superstructure reversed. If can get a decent photo or drawing, I will check it against our chassis design. The Fowler 422 has a different arrangement of the jack-shaft. 

Archived