The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

Hi Paul,

That's the one, super little locos (BTW how do I get in touch with you about a query I have on one of your photos?).

Chris and Fella's, what I was originally saying though, was that the GWR Fowler loco looks almost identical to the 45BHP version yet of course isnt (gearbox, windows etc. etc. all differ), I am not sure if the chassis is the same, yet it looks very, very similar - is there still time for Ixion to manufacture both versions? Doing so may increase sales, as the GWR loco, is very limiting in terms of location and therefore - model - railway usage...

I have tried to edit this 4 times - here goes again...

There is an interesting photo on page 286 of the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review, thanks to Martin Loader and Bob Barlow et al. of 'Woodbine' (a 45 BHP? DM Fowler) in reference to the new Ixion Fowler. Woodbine of course is the ex Wills loco now restored on the S&CRS, which the GWR Numbered '211' so as to enable the loco running rights on GWR metals (it would be interesting to know if this loco ever appeared in GWR livery?) - woudnt the 45 BHP variant been more 'viable' for Ixion?

I was wondering why Ixion chose to manufacture the 75 BHP variant (GWR No.1) as opposed to the more numerous 45 BHP variant? - no value judgements on my part just an observation/question.

After having seen the Ixion HC 0-6-0 running (superb!) it is very exciting to see that Ixion are now to enter the world of IC/Heavy Oil locos. From a personal point of view - and I wonder if others feel the same - a 45 BHP DM Fowler in an anonymous livery/colour scheme would have suited me perfectly for two or more layouts (not being too era/prototype specific as GWR No. 1 is) and if one of the larger Fowlers is on the cards then more strength to Ixion's elbow!

I can see that a 7mm model of No.1 could be a collectors item - yet will it find a place on lots of layouts? I suppose that depends (I do hope so for Ixion's sake)....

I look forward to the feedback in due course.

Kind regards,

CME

• 8 months later...

Well, Chris,

You did the Fowler - and very pretty, and well received they are (or at least , will be on the 25th, in my case..)

So how about a Churchward mogul or a nice Dean 4-4-0 with outside cranks?

I know the tender adds to the tooling cost, but you can sell them separately so you might sell more tenders than loco's!

Be brave - go for it!

Merry Christmas!

SD

Agnoria do a lovely kit for this one.

Yeah, I know. But that's a kit. Ixion do ready to run, and it'd be nice to just be able to take it out of the box and plonk it down onto my layout. Then giggle like a little girl as it slowly shunts wagons around. :D

Yeah, I know. But that's a kit. Ixion do ready to run, and it'd be nice to just be able to take it out of the box and plonk it down onto my layout. Then giggle like a little girl as it slowly shunts wagons around. :D

Sounds like you need a Hudswell Clarke or a Fowler diesel, but the Agenoria kit of the Kerr Stuart Victory is very good. Here is a link to some pictures of mine elsewhere on RMWeb: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76328-in-praise-of-industrials/

Are you thinking of staying in the 'small industrial' arena Chris?  Would a Simplex be too small? Are you still wishing to retain an Australian connection to any future release? (I believe the Simplex would tick the Oz box  :yes: ).

Tony

From a business point of view the Dean Goods (you just know I'd prefer a J15 in O).....

Best, Pete.

No, not the Dean Goods.  I'd be forced to sell the wife to pay for one, then I'd go hungry whilst I played trains ;)

Are you thinking of staying in the 'small industrial' arena Chris?  Would a Simplex be too small? Are you still wishing to retain an Australian connection to any future release? (I believe the Simplex would tick the Oz box  :yes: ).

Tony

I've got nothing against a Simplex, but where the Dickens would I find space for a sound decoder? Ha Ha

Paul

I think that, logically, it's time for something a little bigger and non-industrial. I steam terms I'd suggest something pre-grouping that lasted into BR times, a small-ish tank loco so not much room needed for run-round headshunts etc and capable of being the only loco on a branch.

I also think that a 2-4-2 chassis would be good for tight radii, so a number of prototypes including L&Y, LNW, GE and NE. I don't know if a common chassis could be used for more than one prototype, or could be used as a 2-4-0 or 0-4-2.

As I have said before, the right 0 gauge loco would certainly get me building a new layout, and I suspect I am far from alone.

Ed

I think a Beattie Well Tank would do well as there was quite a bit of interest shown before when a certain supplier said they would manufacture one, well until the plans hit the buffers that is :cry: .

ATB,

Martyn.

PUG! PUG!

Or a Peckett B3

If you mean L&Y pug there are already at least 2 kits alredy available and, I think, 1 RTR so what's the point in another? If you mean a Caledonian-style pug that would get me voting with my wallet because it's very similar to the industrial pugs built by Neilsons. It shouldhave good sales prospects for Ixion because it could attract buyers who want pre-grouping, LMS, LNER and BR liveries. Obviously there's bound to be differences between them but I guess nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of modification by the buyer or by providing altenative parts to be added by the buyer.

Any Peckett saddletank would also get my vote.

Archived