Hornby O1 on show at Peterborough

Andy Y

A newsworthy working passed through Little Bytham last night on its way to Peterborough (an unusual way of getting there from Margate).

O1as.jpg

The final pre-production sample of the O1 will be on show at The National Festival of Railway Modelling at Peterborough this weekend. It runs as well as it looks ably handling a full rake of loaded kit-built minerals.

Nearly as nice as my home-made one, a Bachmann B1 body on a Hornby 8F unpowered chassis powered by a Hornby B17 tender drive under a Bachman V2 tender top. Looks OK (from a distance !!) and runs / hauls quite well.

post-6884-0-39046100-1350666323.jpg

However I think I'd better get saving up for one of these Hornby "proper uns".

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking more of a mighty splash of grot. Much, much too clean. Watch out for a greybeard with a jamjar of authenticish brownish muck...

Quite right, of course - that is how these machines spent most of their days, especially latterly, I'm sure.

But am I really the only person who thinks these models also look absolutely smashing in their ex-paintshop finish, too?

...But am I really the only person who thinks these models also look absolutely smashing in their ex-paintshop finish, too?

Of course not. Although I feel an O2 would have been the better choice (cab variants, a GNR six wheel tender in RTR for the first time, suitable loco chassis for anyone wanting to cobble together the mightiness) this is certainly a handsome enough beast to sell itself off the dealer's shelves. Arguably the neatest and most attractive of ET's loco designs too, the combination with the Robinson tender making an interesting ensemble. Riches indeed to have four heavy goods types for those of us interested in BR(ER)

Stunning model - hopefully these will fly off the shelves and be a resounding success for Hornby. There's been nothing on any of the pre-production models that has had alarm bells ringing, so fingers crossed all goes according to plan.

Hornby are fully capable of, and do, make some absolutely brilliant models. This looks set to continue the "must have" trend of the L1 and B1 models.

• RMweb Gold

Stunning model - hopefully these will fly off the shelves and be a resounding success for Hornby. There's been nothing on any of the pre-production models that has had alarm bells ringing, so fingers crossed all goes according to plan.

Hornby are fully capable of, and do, make some absolutely brilliant models. This looks set to continue the "must have" trend of the L1 and B1 models.

The fascinating thing about the O1 is the welcome it is receiving - seen in microcosm in this thread - because it looks the business and because it looks as if Hornby have done a good job with it (similarly, so it appears thus far, with the GW 8-coupled tanks). While I also think an O2 would have been a more logical choice I can't see many convinced Eastern aficionados turning up their noses at a 2-8-0 of this apparent standard and equally I doubt many Western followers are going to be backward in coming forward for at least one big tank engine.

These locos are showing us, once again, that Hornby are indeed capable of producing some top notch models when they put their minds and development skills to the task and it is now up to us to support such developments by dipping into pockets, piggy banks, or under mattresses to find the wherewithal to support their efforts - and indicate our need for continued efforts from them.

And what a further spur for those who have in mind modelling the GC in the 1950s.

The Hornby trade website is currently showing early November for the Early BR version arriving at Margate, and early December for the late BR and LNER versions.

As an aside, all the GWR 2-8-0T locos are scheduled to arrive together at Margate in the 2nd week of December.

These are provisonal dates, and obviously subject to change.

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby trade website is currently showing early November for the Early BR version arriving at Margate, and early December for the late BR and LNER versions.

As an aside, all the GWR 2-8-0T locos are scheduled to arrive together at Margate in the 2nd week of December.

These are provisonal dates, and obviously subject to change.

Looks like my christmas shopping is settled then - I shall have to decide which one Mrs Stationmaster will be giving me for Christmas once it has arrived/been collected from one or other of my favoured model railway shops (which aren't in Liverpool before anyone asks).

• RMweb Gold

Looks like my christmas shopping is settled then - I shall have to decide which one Mrs Stationmaster will be giving me for Christmas once it has arrived/been collected from one or other of my favoured model railway shops (which aren't in Liverpool before anyone asks).

Me too Mike although SWMBO hasn't give me my anniversary present yet. :no: A 72xx please darling.

Archived