Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for modelling

Del

I've been trying to be a modeller for twenty-five years, I know this because the first mag I bought was the Jan '85 Railway Modeller.

I've tried numerous times to build a layout, and I've never managed it. When I had the time, I didn't have the space and now I have the space I don't seem to have the time. Well, to qualify that, I *do* have the time but always seem to do something else.

And there's the problem of what I actually *want* to do. I have the bits and pieces to build a small 4mm light railway terminus which I intend to build for the 2010 Challenge. The Challenge has been open for what, six weeks? I haven't even sorted out the trackplan yet.

And there's so many things I'd like to try. I have a bit of N gauge US stuff my Dad gave me, which would be used in a small Inglenook layout. But I also want to build some SR 3rd-rail stuff, maybe in N, but with the VEP & EPB on the way, maybe in OO. And then, I see the 7mm industrial tanks that are on here, and I'd like to have a real go at that. And the Trumpeter 1/35 plastic kits, and I think I'd like the challenge of motorising those.

Oh and not forgetting the Heljan 15 and 23, 'cos I'd want to do something with both of those too. How can I fit all of that into the time and space I have? Will I be disappointed if I can't do it?

And at the back of mind of all of this, is can I actually do it? I don't even know if I can 'do' railway modelling. I've built a couple of wagon kits and they seem to be OK and a Wills Goods Shed which looks all right. But ballasting? Scenery? Backscenes? I'll give it a go I guess, but if it doesn't work...

So am I cut out to be a modeller? My attempts so far seem to indicate that I'm probably not.

• RMweb Premium

It sounds to me like you're struggling with focus a bit. I know the feeling, I've been there, as possibly many of us have at some time or other. Right now I'm on hiatus from modelling due to various other issues, but I'm not going to let that kill off my interest in the hobby. It might be an idea to have a rest from thinking about modelling and just let your imagination wander for a while.

I've not done scenery much before either, or much in the way of buildings and the like. I'm heading down the route of having a 'test' layout ('Sayersbridge') where I can make mistakes and not worry. After that is done I think I will feel more aware of my limits, and of what I would like to do more seriously.

Hi Del,

Don't worry one little bit!

I first bought a (new) model railway mag in 1978 and have still never completed a layout!

I have all sorts of aspirations (to the extent i call myself a 'Butterfly'!) - i want to model an MPD layout in BR blue 00 with one good friend, another friend has a German H0 layout i have stock for and assist with, i was 'into' American prototypes for many years (& still am!).

I keep dreaming about the 'ultimate' layout that i want to build "one day" and still never get that much closer.

I have some models in 0 gauge (British and German) along with a few items in N gauge - so i can't even fully decide on what scale i like best, let alone exactly which prototype - there are SO many to choose from and so many nice models made nowadays.

I have set myself up to do a 2010 challenge layout and i do have a plan and the first board built now so that gives me inspiration.

If you like model railways then don't get despondant about it, just keep on keeping on! If you lack experience at performing some of the tasks associated with this hobby - just think, none of us were born with the skills we have - we've honed them by 'doing' over the years, the hardest thing of all is making that first step happen. If you think your first steps are too crude to qualify you as a 'modeller', put that model to one side and come back to it later when you can re-do it - better!

This hobby is part collector and part builder based, if you truly decide you can't be a 'builder' - it's not so bad, with all the RTP buildings out there - you can still have a layout which will let you run your stock then you can enjoy seeing your collection run!

The main thing is to have a go - you've already said you can build kits to an 'ok' standard - if your wagons run, then you've cracked it!

Enjoy what you CAN do and don't worry about what you can't do.

All the best,

John E.

I'm sure a lot of us could say when we started "am I cut out for modelling?" Like any other hobby, you learn as you go along. The old adage about running before walking applies. Until you try you won't know what you can do. Yes you'll make mistakes, but don't you think that all the other skilled modellers on here have had their disasters and "Gawd, why did I do that" moments. So get stuck in, and go up the learning curve - in 6 months time, you'll wonder why you were so apprehensive about it.

Dennis

I agree with Ian, you need to select a scale, an era, and forget everything else. Once you have made up your mind it then gets easier.

As for the required skills, you learn as you go. Just remember - we all started somewhere.

I have built so many layouts over the years, and still have three currently on the go! This, in effect, is putting me where you are now - lacking focus!

Come on in - the waters fine.biggrin.gif

As has been said, once you've made your mind up over what scale you want, plus your location and era it does get a bit simpler. Alas that's something I've still yet to get the hang of, posessing as I do all sorts of bits and bobs ranging from Carmine and Cream Mk1s to a SWT Class 170 - and not making use of any of them on an under construction layout that I've finally (for now, anyway) managed to pin down to a firm 1992 northern setting.

It was twenty years ago this Christmas that I was given my first train set as a sticky-chinned three year old, and I have regular moments when I wonder why I'm bothering to keep it going. Space issues, money problems and indeed the delights (or otherwise) of life in general will all frequently conspire to make railway modelling look as unattractive a prospect as could possibly be.

All I can suggest is to go along with the advice that's already been given and persevere. Until a couple of years ago I was struggling to get even the most basic of Metcalfe kits to remotely resemble the image on the packet, and found myself very disheartened whenever I saw the stunning models that feature both iin the press and on these boards. A bit of time and practise later and I can not only build one of these kits but tart it up a bit as well. In comparison with the quality I see on here I'm sure it's pretty crude stuff, but it makes me happy, and isn't that what the hobby is about?

Don't let a hobby become a chore, else it'll become more trouble than it's worth. :)

• RMweb Gold

Del - you sound 100% normal to me. I also think you're trying to put on a modelling straitjacket. I think it is natural to have an interest in modelling generally, and it does require some effort to sort your personal wheat from chaff. That effort goes somewhat against the grain - we think of hobbies as relaxing and fun, not a place to demand concentration and steadiness of purpose, which many people find is the stock-in-trade at work. As Ian J and others have suggested, you may need to tie yourself down a bit (no - not Miss Whiplash stuff!) - although modelling in more than one scale/gauge is commonplace, it does still need a bit of reining in.

If you look across the very broad spectrum of layouts on RMWeb, they range from vast empires to tiny modules. Space issues will tell you whether you can opt for either end of that spectrum. Smaller scales will offer more trackwork and operations in a given area, but detailing may be harder work. Do you actually want a layout to be operable as a timetabled exercise, or would a roundy-round to display your trains be sufficient? Do you actually want a layout at all? Lots of people produce exquisite individual models, often in multiple scales, but don't have the space or the inclination to run them.

Don't beat yourself up about this - even armchair modellers who never build anything can have a good time fantasising!

1. This is a hobby, it's not like work.

2. What you get out from it is up to you.

3. It's not a competition.

4. It's supposed to be fun:) so make sure that what you do is enjoyable for the biggest critic of the lot - yourself.

Now I'm not exactly one to take advice from on this particular subject ;)

I am a serial starter and have no problem starting yet another kit, another layout ... I seem to have no shortage of ideas and plans. most of which get well beyond the half-built stage before my version of your apathy becomes apparent - usually with the result that I start something else. :(

On the things I do sort of get around to finishing - most kits in the end and a layout is never really finished - I find the RMWeb a great encourager, and of course a nagging wife "what on earth are you starting now ... you haven't finished that so and so you started last Xmas!!" :)

I suppose the only real useful thing I can say is break everything down into smaller tasks, actually start them and then give yourself a reward of some sort when completed. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just completed, if it looks wrong then come back to it later and put it right - or remember the problem and put it right on the next kit/layout.

I've been trying to be a modeller for twenty-five years, I know this because the first mag I bought was the Jan '85 Railway Modeller.

I've tried numerous times to build a layout, and I've never managed it. When I had the time, I didn't have the space and now I have the space I don't seem to have the time. Well, to qualify that, I *do* have the time but always seem to do something else.

And there's the problem of what I actually *want* to do. I have the bits and pieces to build a small 4mm light railway terminus which I intend to build for the 2010 Challenge. The Challenge has been open for what, six weeks? I haven't even sorted out the trackplan yet......

And at the back of mind of all of this, is can I actually do it? I don't even know if I can 'do' railway modelling. I've built a couple of wagon kits and they seem to be OK and a Wills Goods Shed which looks all right. But ballasting? Scenery? Backscenes? I'll give it a go I guess, but if it doesn't work...

So am I cut out to be a modeller? My attempts so far seem to indicate that I'm probably not.

Been there done that and still am to a fairly large extent and so probably have most of us. I'm starting though to use the American idea of "givens and druthers". This is quite well explained on http://macrodyn.com/...ide_the_process but basically the givens are the things you can't easily change like the available size, possibly the scale if you're committed to that and might well be the prototype (if you're only interested in French Metre gauge rural light railways then you're not going to build a GWR SLB but if you're passionate about both then you might have to build two smaller layouts or each in turn) The druthers are all the things you would like to have and once they're listed you can prioritise them.

Because American modellers seem to go for the lifetime permanent layout getting the basis for it sorted is probably more important than it would be for our habit of building several layouts but I think it's still useful as a starting point.

Guest jim s-w

Can you actually do it?

Probably not but you can learn to do it. Just like everyone else has had to do.

You are in the best place to learn, ask away and remember no question is too stupid except for the one you dont ask.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the input fellas.

A lot of interesting points which I will take on board. In the meantime, I'll try and get the Challenge layout to a standard that I think I should be able to attain, and see how I go from there.

• RMweb Gold

Those are wise words mentioned by the posters above, for the benefit of us all.

The only thing I can think to add is that "much space" should not automatically be assumed to mean "big layout", as is sometimes implied. In fact, that can really lead you astray, as I've learnt the hard way. Better, I think, to consider whether you want to model big or small in the first place - and then consider what you have room for.

• RMweb Premium

I thionk we can all say that we've been where you are. I have only ever finished one layout and that is Midland O Gauge 1920's. In between I've dabbled in Midland 00, British N, American N and American HO not to mention 009 and originally Hornby Tinplate and my Father's Bassett Lowke. Even now I have collected some American O Scale and if any purists don't like seeing a 4-8-4 with yellow and Grey coaches behind in on my layout the answer is 'It's my trainset' Go for whatever you want and enjoy it. the other way is to join your local club and there you will get loads of good advice and no matter what problemn you come up against there will be someone to help you.

Jamie

The phrase 'Tell me about it' comes to mind... I've had a number of false starts over the years, in OO, O, and N. I've built locos (the only one that was any good was in O), coaches, wagons, and buildings. And, to be honest, not enjoyed much of it. (sigh)

At the moment I've got an N gauge project on the go at the moment. It's shrunk over the years - mainly from the fact that the place it was going has changed on half a dozen occasions.

I've tried ballasting (twice) and found it to be a pain in the backside. But it's nice when you can sit back and watch the trains go round...

• RMweb Gold

The biggest blocker that I had (notice 'had') was that I couldn't decide what I wanted from a layout, let alone decide on a track plan.

Suddenly, due to a re-organisation at work, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands, and decided that I would build some baseboards, so I had to decide on what I wanted and the track plan very quickly. The layout is still not fully planned, but I set off knowing that the layout has to be able to be dismantled and carried downstairs and outside into the garage for storage, so had to be as light as possible. Once I'd got a couple of baseboards built and some track down, I've very slowly added point motors, a very small bit of scenery, built a couple of kits, fitted decoders and programmed them.

I had done very little of these activities previously, and am heartened by the fact that I can do them. I have accepted a few things that I saw as being blockers before I started, among these are:-

I'm not as good at building and painting locos as some people

I'm not as good at building baseboards as some people

I'm not as good at scenery as some people

My layout will never do all the things that I would want from it because I don't have enough time, space or money

My son helped me to build a 3rd baseboard so slowly, slowly the layout is growing, I'm learning to do things that I didn't know I could do - largely thanks to those who contribute to this forum.

My advice would be to start something and try to see it through. I've got a few things on the go, and some decisions to reach that might involve a few modifications to the layout - for instance I haven't decided on what couplings to use - I know I want them to be automatic and therefore will probably have to sacrifice prototypical appearance of the front end of diesel locos, but I do know that whichever ones I choose, I'll have further learning to do in order to fit them and make them work.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

This topic is great, almost inspirational.. I am coming back to the hobby in a practical way at the age of 67 having collected lots of locomotives and rolling stock suitable for the time and place I want to model. I have also prepared my baseboard so now the real work begins! Perhaps work is the wrong word, doing what you want to do is pleasure.

For several years I have been visiting exhibitions seeing some wonderfully realistic layouts and like many others I am sure I find it a bit daunting to believe I can emulate this kind of work but I'm going to have a damn good try! It would be easy to spend far more than I can afford on the excellent scenery materials for example but at Wigan this year I watched a super guy, George Nutter, demonstrating what can be achieved by grinding up everyday materials in an old kitchen mincer such as duvet filler, old carpet underlay etc. and making some excellent trees, foliage, grass and so on. People like that are a real inspiration to those of us with no experience of producing acceptable scenery.

So, I am ready to start and no doubt from time to time will call on the expertise of the great group of folks who contribute to this forum. You all add to the pleasure of this wonderful hobby.

Happy New year everybody!

Edward

For anyone who, like me at times, doesn't start things for fear of getting it wrong, here's an idea.

Go out ito the shed/garage/garden.

Find a piece of straightish timber and cut it to a length of 3 ft.

Buy yourself a yard length of flexi track.

Experiment!

You can play around with ballast, grass, backscenes, a signal or two. You can even connect up the juice and run a loco up and down a bit!

If you get it wrong, bin it and start again. How much has it cost you?

You don't have to tell anyone about it. you certainly don't have to put photos on here if you don't want.

Go on. There are no excuses. There's virtually zero cost. Lack of space doesn't come into it and neither does time. It might be all the impetus you need.

You never know, you might end up teaching that Nevard bloke and his ilk a thing or two wink.gif

I think that may be part of it Chris, in that I don't have a shed/garage/garden that has lumps of timber lying about. If I want to experiment, I actually have to spend some money and buy some bits of wood.

Having said that, I am going to try the cardboard box baseboard as previously demonstrated on the last RMWeb.

I know that this might not help but you (as have all of us) have spent a lot of life conditioned to reach 'targets'. This starts at a early age and continues basically until one starts to dribble uncontrollably.

This is a hobby.

Set the bar lower and raise it once you have cleared it.

There will be an aspect of this hobby at which you will excel mainly by application to that which interests you. It can be anything from collecting RTR models of a particular class of loco through to scratchbuilding items that you just fancy creating. As each aspect/activity becomes boring you can move on. There does not have to be a plan.

Dreaming up unattainable plans is the curse of modern business.

Doing something similar in a hobby is a recipe for discontent and unhappiness. All hobby activity is usually meaningless in the great scheme of things unless you enjoy it so much that other people can see the difference in you. With the right mental attitude you will rarely attempt something you cannot finish and never underestimate the power of the right tool for the job.

There have been some very good points made in all the previous posts. At risk of duplicating a few:

It is a hobby and is supposed to be fun and recreational - maybe even escapism, getting us away from the daily worries.

Don't worry about skills, or lack thereof. It is a learning process and we ALL make mistakes as we go along - that is part of the fun.

We can set ourselves challenges, taking us to new areas and skill sets. If we fail at the first attempt, then so be it. We learn more from those initial mistakes.

"Modelling" is a very broad and vague term that encompasses a whole range of abilities and achievements. Very few of us are good at every aspect. Most of us have some expertise in one or two aspects of modelling and "borrow" from others for the rest.

As others have said above: enjoy it and don't fret about the unfinished projects or the ones where you overstepped your current skills. Stick to safer paths and just push one or two boundaries at a time. Just think of O. V. Bulleid's efforts; he reached for the stars and fell short, but there were still some brilliant results. The oil-baths were not a great success with materials and technology available at the time but the boilers would produce endless steam allegedly burning anything that could be thrown in the firebox. Success and failure - we all have both of those. I'll end the sermon with this thought: I'm willing to bet that all of us have had good ideas and good intentions but all of us have also had those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" moments too.

? ? :lol:

• RMweb Premium

my advice to you: buy a half finnished layout or one which you can adapt to soemthing you want

it'll give you alot more focus which comes after finnishing projects, i have found

That's almost exactly how my exhibition layout came into being.

Del mate, you need a few more operating sessions on South Pimlico to get you sorted!

The best advice I ever had when it came to layouts was "never build anything bigger than you are prepared to maintain". I might also add that it is good to have a layout you can operate by yourself. Shunting planks are a good way to start and can be incorporated into larger layouts afterward but the best way forward is to sit down with some layout plans or if your local society has layout tours, have a look at what other people have done. Muck in, help out with a club layout build up your skills and have a ball. :)

HTH

David

I have read this thread with interest as I was in the same boat. I got interested in railways when I was about 7 years of age, I was taken to the Lucas Society of Model Engineers 5" raised layout on Moor lane sport ground in Birmingham, I was hooked from that point onwards recieving a Hornby 0-6-0 jinty with real Syncrosmoke that christmas. From that fatefull day I recieved loco's and stock for birthdays and christmas for years afterwards and had a tail chaser layout on my bedroom floor, I was happy but always felt that I could do better. A few years later I saw 'N' gauge and decided I could have a better layout and sold all of my 'OO' gauge stuff, I never realy got into the swing of it and a few years later fell under the charms of the female of our species, everything mothballed until I sold it again because it was sitting aroung doing nothing. Later when the hormones had calmed down a bit I then went back into 'OO' gauge and bought Quite a lot of stock and guess what sold it all again this time to move into 'O' gauge and this is where I am now but this time my fantastic wife also has an interest so I can safely do my modelling with her blessing as it keeps me out of trouble the garden Layout is a testement to her faith in me

but I still suffer the same indecision I had before and am at the moment loking at a pile of Big Big coaches and wondering if my modelling skills are good enough to take the plunge and start to cut them to pieces but I know I will when I have enough courage to start the undertaking.

So dont worry and dont fret just do as your abilities allow

Ian

Archived