Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Can I pick your brains re: notebooks

Hi

I'd love to pick your brains regarding notebooks, are there any Spotters, Bashers, Line Bashers or Haulage Bashers out there (have I got the terminology correct?) who still purchase notebooks to record train numbers in or store tickets etc. If so,

• how much would you spend on a notebook?
  • Is colour important?
  • Would you be more tempted to buy if it included a pencil?
  • Hardback or softback?
  • Would it be plain on the front or would you like it to say something..eg 'Notes of a Spotter' etc

All suggestions welcome, and if I've got anything completely wrong let me know.

Thanks all

As above, On the rare occasions I see anything interesting on the daily commute, I'd just tap it into my phone.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but judging by some of your sub-questions it seems there is another reason behind this question - and if so, I'd suggest this isn't the way to make your millions these days!

I did suspect that train spotting had gone technical, I work for a museum and just wondering what things you would like to see sold, is it nostalgic things or more modern train related items? You guys always seem to give the best feedback (and yes I am trying to butter you all up...hope it's working! :derisive: )

Would it be plain on the front or would you like it to say something..eg 'Notes of a Spotter' etc

All suggestions welcome, and if I've got anything completely wrong let me know.

My bold.

That is so awesome it's practically outrageous!

(PS, do we know each other?)

Ha! Hi Chard, do you like the Note's of a Spotter idea, or are you pulling my leg?!?! :mosking:

I like the 'out and proud' sound of it! I'd love to have one that says 'Notes of a Spotter' on it, only I'm not one, so it would probably have draft song lyrics and other random jottings in it, like Waverley Route coaching stock formulae.

I like the 'out and proud' sound of it! I'd love to have one that says 'Notes of a Spotter' on it, only I'm not one, so it would probably have draft song lyrics and other random jottings in it, like Waverley Route coaching stock formulae.

This comment has made my day!!! :)

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it meant notebook PCs. Not that I use one.

Sorry rodshaw, I didn't intend to confuse.

Guest stuartp

I don't spot but I do have a little notebook which I've recorded modelling notes and details in. It's a bright yellow Thomas the Tank Engine notebook which my loving sister bought me for a birthday present during her 'take the p*** out of Stuart's hobby' phase. When that was full I used the remainder of a natty little BR-issued notebook in which I'd written about two pages of course notes donkey's years ago.

What I suppose I'm saying, is that although these two notebooks were largely selected on the grounds that they were free, they were also selected on the grounds that they were railway related and if I was spotting I would think the same logic would apply.

If you can find my brain you can pick it, personally I use the nose, then you can eat the leavings.

But anyway, I never bother with a notebook, preferring the Ian Allen version that I could date/locate each loco/stock item against. The only notepad I ever used was a)confiscated at school for being full of "obscene doodlings" and b)never actually used for the intended purpose.

• RMweb Gold

The OP reminded me of some notebooks I had seen in a bookshop recently, each designed for various buffs, spotters, fans, etc of wine, films, birds, footie etc - I've tracked them down here:

http://www.moleskinerie.com/2009/10/the-new-moleskine-passions.html

When I saw them I thought, hmm one of these designed for us rail enthusiasts would be quite nice, you know, with lined pages and tables with various columns for noting down times, dates, numbers, locations etc... til I saw the price.

But I just jot down my obs in my diary when I am out and about travelling by train, though I am not sure why, I just do.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

When you spotted everything tapes were essential - had to get the complete set, I have a few hundred coach formations from the 80s and quite a few wagon formations

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really spot , if I see anything interesting I write it in this here iPhone - thus I can pretend I'm an important person devising my next corporate turn round plan, not a geek.

Should I have a notebook entitled " notes of a spotter" what little cool I have would be quickly dissolved.

Archived