Stockrington - Mojo ignited. Thanks, Heljan!

jukebox

Happy New Year from Western Australia!

As I mentioned in my Christmas post, I have started to think about modelling life in the future, in the context of what transpired in 2013.   Since those dark days in mid October, I have not touched a thing in the railway room - the sense of suspension of time in there, after a year of continuous, if not rapid progress, feels eerie. 

Obviously, the time since then has had very little focus on Stockrington, although I have had a couple of moments of clarity.  And even with a simple loop around the room, I learned a thing or two about the limitations of a large layout and single man operation.

But the biggest take away I have, is that life is incredibly transient.  And I dont mean that Hornby's latest releases may be years before they are re-issued, so snap one up when you can - although that does seem to be true, so you can bet that while I have ceased all other purchases, a P2 is still on order for me!

But seriously, I stopped and looked at the progress so far, and the thought of taking two or more years to get the basic trackwork as originally envisaged layed, ballasted, and wired up, was disheartening.  I dont have anywhere near as much spare time anymore - evenings during the week are now the domain of domestic chores, while two weekends in three are exclusively for my children.  So progress will be a lot slower until I get more settled.

The lesson I learned about operation is that even though DCC can accomodate 2,3, or even 10 trains in action at once, the level of concentration required to manage that many is superhuman.  It would be a little easier with Stockrington's mainline, as the laps around the room would be three times as long as the storage track I have now, and there are seperate up and down mains, but I fear that it would get to a point where it maybe wasn't so much fun.  Admittedly, right now if a train derails, the last three feet of travel are pure vertical, and the end result is messy - on a completed layout, that risk is mitigated by scenery and guardrails where the track is hidden.  But I have come to accept that multiple trains on a single track, even one 100+ ft long, may not be a sound concept for one man.

Lastly, I am not happy with the Code70 Shinohara turnouts. There is an issue with the flangeway depth/gauge that I can see affects some but not all stock - even when passing through trailing turnouts.  In the few months I operated Stockrington, the Peco Code70 curved turnouts - some on a 1:25 grade - never once gave be tracking issues; every piece of stock has stayed on, and passed smoothly over them.  But the Shin's seem to be very fussy, and even when they are not throwing D/E bogies off, there is a lot of stock that sways uncomfortably at the frog every circuit.  I may be able to fix that by quarantining the stock, but issues like the clearances of Deltic's flanges and wheel guards (that strike the check rails as the bogie passes the frog, before the flanges then ride up and along the bottom of the flangeway) are just annoying.

So, what does all that mean?

Well I think I am going to simplify Stockrington down to a double track, single loop around the room, layout. That will cut the construction time to 1/3 what it would be now.  It will also eliminate any gradients on the mainline section - not a real issue, but certainly a positive.  I will retain the Monkwearmouth inspired bridge, but lose the bi-level Tyne inspired one - which, with railway tracks on both levels, would have been largely fictional and structurally dubious. 

With only a single circuit, I can afford to bring the trackwork on the East side of the room out from the back of the layout a little - 300mm or so - and this may mean I can get a better representation of Little Bytham village in there - or alternately, a more open representation of the crossing of the River Idle at Retford.  And a single loop means that I can model the trackwork at Stockrington station a lot more closely on NER practice - possibly with avoiding lines around the back, as Darlington does, and Stockton used to have.

Despite their lack of authenticity, I am going to ditch the use of Shinohara track in favour of Peco turnouts - possibly following Coachman's example and using their Code83 product to gain back a token amount of fidelity length-wise.

All of this will get the trackwork down faster, and allow me to get into the Civil Engineering side of the scenics that I love - stations, bridges, loco sheds...  I will still have a mainline to run two trains at once - and a station to shunt and manage..  maybe there will be room now down by the river for a small representation of some Lambton-esque coal staiths... and a line down to the quayside on the opposite bank.  That way, if the shunting bug ever bites, I would have somewhere to play (Sandside is so passionate about it - there must be something to it!).

Of course, all this is just plans.  I still can't progress anything until I am confident I have the property securely in my hands.  But it's a way forward - and let's face it: there's nothing to be gained by looking back.

So the updates will still be sporadic for awhile, but I promise to post as things gel into place.

As always, feedback and comments along the way will always be welcomed!

Happy 2014 everyone.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 13

Hi

Good to see you planning ahead, it is the way forward and upwards.

Have you thought about computer control, to stop the locos you are not controlling from crashing into each other?

Happy new year mate, and remember we can choose our layouts, but our children are the greatest tracks we need to deal with.

Make the most of them and everything else will fall into place.

Edited by Kal

Not that I have anything against adoption, dt, but I think Angelina Jolie has the market on purchasing children stitched up.

On the other hand, I already have an NCE USB adapter, that allows me to interface with a laptop/PC and run JMRI/Decoder Pro for altering CV's if need be.  It's set up in a small component box, along with the NCE programming track panel, that I use at my workbench.  But it could be easily integrated into the layout.. except I like to program off my PC, downstairs.

• Like 2

Easy care package......

comes in a choice of liveries.....spares can be provided in advance

attach to an electricity supply via a PC / Xbox / IMac as the adaptor........and he'll run for days.......if not for weeks.....months even  if left undisturbed

sprinkle occasionally with water....reduces the smell.......

provide a power source....MacDonalds / Kebabs / Fish and Chips....very adaptable try a BBQ input,

and don't forget some lubrication.....keep the radiator topped up with water....but runs happier on Coke a cola or similar. Warning!!! Don't forget to drain...or leaks can appear.

Free delivery (one way only)

No exchanges, returns or refunds once opened.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott,

It is now over 18 years since my world came crashing down around me, and in very similar circumstances to yours. For many months afterwards I was unable to even contemplate thinking about "silly little toy trains".  It just seemed so trivial considering the horrible things that had engulfed me. And yet, when I  did manage to start to look forward again, thinking about my hobby was one of the major factors in my recovery. For that reason alone, I am delighted to read your New Year message, and to see that the clouds have lifted at least a little. I have found that good does emerge even from the most awful lifetime crises - my life is now very different, but I have emerged a stronger and more contented person, and I am sure that you will do the same.

Keep on thinking about the layout. If it does nothing else it will give you periods of time when  your mind is taken away from your troubles. It may prove too hard to do any work on it, given the uncertainty as to the future of your home at present, but just the thinking and planning will help your recovery. As I said earlier, positive things do emerge even from the most dire circumstances, and the fact that you have reconsidered the scale of what you were trying to do is I think a good thing. When first looking at a bespoke layout room, it is all too easy to think "what can I fill this with?" I know, I've done it. Yes, you can be so ambitious that you acually defeat yourself by trying to create a monster and in so doing changing what should be a pleasure into a burden. So, keep planning Scott, life will return to normality, albeit a different normality, and you will adapt to new circumstances, whatever they may turn out to be. I hated it when people wished me a Happy New Year the first time after my break up occurred - I couldn't see how I would ever be happy again. How wrong I was, so a Happy New Year to you mate!

• Like 6

I would just like to publicly thank the band of RMWebbers who took the time to PM me over the holiday break, to wish me well, and keep me in good cheer.  I have not met any of you face to face, but the generosity of spirit you showed in checking in on me, and offering kind words of support and pragmatism, were priceless at a time of year when even though the sun was shining, the days occasionally seemed rather grim.  Along with the those of you who have posted support (above), I can only offer my most humble appreciation.

Thanks everyone - may 2014 be a successful and happy one for you all.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Just a short note to wish all those followers of Stockrington a happy and peaceful Easter.

I have not made any progress on the layout this year, nor in fact on the divorce proceedings that will secure it's home, and as a few people have suggested to me, it will take some time for both the practical, and the emotional desire to model, to be resolved.

I am still an occasional lurker to many of your threads on here, and now that the Australian summer is over, and darker, wetter, evenings are upon us, I may even find the motivation to recommence some locomotive works; the idea of (re)setting up my kit building space downstairs seems a lot less daunting - and if the worst should happen, at least the completed locos can come with me.  We shall see.

So to all my friends in the Northern Hemisphere (and the local ones, too!) - all the best for the holiday weekend.

May your all your chocolate eggs be quality ones!

post-8688-0-09145400-1397953332.jpg

(The Easter Bunny looked after me this year: My favourites!)

Scott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Scott.

I've noticed you lurking from time to time. Just ease your way back into the hobby as you see fit - all your friends here will be happy to have you back on "active duty".

All the best!

Jeff

Oooooh  ....  Cote D'Or   ..............   Yum.

Good to see you post again Scott.

Sorry to be late posting, but was away checking out this year's rain for caravanning  ............  [+ M-in-L  + 2 x dogs]

Did have an experience which you might appreciate. Things in the distance like this   ........

13943462056_8c4114d9f0_c.jpg
DSC_0974 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Can sometimes turn out to be like this  ............    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

13967072194_d2115449e3_c.jpg
DSC_0979 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Best regards for the rest of the year  .....  

• Like 6

Hi Everyone - thanks for all the well wishes; it really is appreciated, and I hope that I can somehow return the goodwill to each and every one of you, if you are ever in need.

While it's clear that the layout will not progress this winter (your summer), as I said, I am determined to restart modelling, and so have started posting again, over on my workbench thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50300-northmoor-works-rolling-stock-for-stockrington/&do=findComment&comment=1433260

For those of you who don't follow me there (yet?), you are welcome to stop by and have a look, and join in any discussions that develop.

My premonition from 2 years ago that one of the big two would do an RTR P2 has come true, but that wont stop me completing my Proscale kit - you'll find that build 80-90% complete over there.  After that, there an ABS L1 to complete (curse you, Hornby!) and an Alexander K4. There's a brace of A5's waiting, and by the time that lot is done, someone may have released a J27, eh?  I can dream, can't I?

Plenty of LNER action for Geordies, and anyone else who likes a bit of NE muscle.

Should I be able to restart the layout, I'll post updates here, but for now this thread will be on hiatus, pending finalisation of Stockrington's fate. But whatever the outcome, Northmoor works will survive, and thrive!

I hope to see you over there.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...