Stockrington - Mojo ignited. Thanks, Heljan!

jukebox

Hello J/B,

Yes, really did like your video, thanks for taking the time to make it.

You can rest assured,you will not be........head-hunted by the,

Dover Naff Video Company...... my friend.

So, Richard's new product works on the down gradient also........................... :angel:

Powerbase...new product.

I do like your honesty,you have not shewn, any mistakes,lately.............. :drag:

Richard's new toy is fascinating - pull the loco down, dont push it down - sort of a magnehesion for the DCC age!  Rather clever, and mechanically very simple - but does require a commitment at the track laying stage.

I'm too cheap to spring for the flash OB Van the Naff Company own... (Scott by name, Scot by nature!)  but I have designs on emulating Capt Jango and his fob-cam-vision that he shared with us of Hannem Central - one day.

No new mistakes because I've been spending my time ironing out the old ones, I think!

Red flags and dets are at the ready here for the weekend possession...  I just need to check the plans before I make the first cuts    :read:

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

You just can't count on these per-way guys, can you?

Friday lunchtime, and a good 1200mm of subgrade had been removed from The Chute:

post-8688-0-25801100-1380631603_thumb.jpg

But then family distractions took over, and by Monday afternoon, the new trackbed was in place, but not fixed.  Old alignment was like this:

post-8688-0-21895100-1380631611_thumb.jpg

The new alignment sits on portal frames I made by salvaging the old supports in situ (old trackbed marked in red, and there is some wide-angle lens distortion affecting how that curve presents):

post-8688-0-03959500-1380631619_thumb.jpg

In reality, at 600mm, the new radius is not signifigantly larger, but the curve is a lot more consistant. That radius is also the minimum of the curved turnouts used on the yard, so I am not introducing any compromises by going down that tight in a non-scenic area. 

I have, however increased the swing in off the double slip, stage right, from the original alignment, as The Chute needs to get under four tracks here - so I am slightly worried that this will add a layer of complication.  But I have a 50mm straight between the right and left arcs to help compensate, so hope that will be enough to maintain order.

An extra session tonight has seen the subgrade secured, and bottom ballast (Depron) laid.  It's now weighted down to ensure a smooth surface for tracklaying proper:

post-8688-0-70317200-1380631822_thumb.jpg

Can-Pac has now been sold, marking the start of motive power rationalisation at Stockrington.  :(

A spare Kestrel is next in line, and now that I have secured one of the DP1 Rev 2 issues from Shildon, my Caledonian Blue DP1 original issue is also marked for disposal.  As both of these are actually duplicates, there's less reluctance on my part to off-load them.

A few people have asked me if I'm going to try PowerBase, the new DCC concepts traction assistance system, on Stockrington. I guess having grades but not yet laid my mainline, I am in the perfect position to do so, and using it could allow me to play with the grades, and increase some over a short distance, and therefore ease many of the others off...  but my fear is that doing this would remove some of the challenge in "driving" a train around the circuit: knowing the train would not stall, it would be "set-and-forget" which would put Stockrington back into the category of a simple "roundy" layout, which I am trying to avoid: I've already figured out I don't want longer trains on a regular basis, so the ability to haul 14 coaches would be lost on me.  I think it's a clever idea, and if I had known about it a year ago, I may have been a bit more adventurous (it would have been nice to get more headroom above the storage tracks, for example), but I am going to pass on it for now.

Of course in a year's time, if I find the 2.5% mainline ruling grade is more trouble than it it worth, I may yet become a guinea pig!  Never say never, eh, Mr Connery?

Cheers

Scott

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the silence folks.

I am afraid to tell those of you following this topic that there will be no more work on Stockrington for the foreseeable future, if at all.  

A week and a half ago, I was compelled to ask my wife of 20 years to move out.  It was clear from her actions that she felt the marriage was not salvageable.

It appears likely that as a result, I will need to sell the family home, which will mean the room that was to house Stockrington will be no more. Hence, no reason to continue working.  The outcome of this course of action will not be clear for a number of months.

My appetite for any modelling following this totally unexpected upheaval is, naturally, zero.

It really does take an event like this to make you realise in the greater scheme of life, this is, after all, only a hobby...

Thank you, to every one of you who has visited to see my progress, and especially those who took the time to support and encourage my efforts with positive comments.  

I wish you all the very best.

Scott

Edited by jukebox
Hindsight deletions to protect the dignity of the guilty

Jukebox,

so sorry to here about your devastating news. Also staggered that she should get more than 50% max. 

Although let me say this, you are liked for your humour, and although I can fully understand your stance over the layout.

!. Please take time to keep details of your plans for future use.

2. Hope fully you will find time to post on others work despite this upsetting time. Where friends will be happy to see you.

3. Check out your legal options, try free services first to see what you need before you pay thru the teeth for them, and don't let her scoow you over while you are depressed. Stick it to her, because she has shown she had no consideration for you, and therefore deserves none. And if kids are involved? Fight for custody, (s)he who has custody gets the best deal, and once the kids are old enough they (the person who had the kids) keeps what they got whilst they were kids. Too many idiots play soft ball cos a wife pulls the kids card. Her midlife crisis? Don't overlook whose fault, and ensure it's clear she broke you up, and keep squeaky clean before divorce.Afterwards even if you have kids feel free to live it large....you deserve it.

4. Also change ALL your passwords and make them difficult. 12 letters number and some !£. Do NOT use whole real words. 

eg I love my 3 children paul peter andrew and will protect them forever! = Ilm3cPPAawpt4e! although avoid ! at the end.use at least 2 unusual key strokes and preferably not start and end of password...too obvious.

5. Take advice and consider a new bank account where you pay goes and she has to justify you putting money into an account she uses. Plus notice if she is on a spend spend spend scenario and if so halt it.

6. Poison is great to day dream about .......but unfortunately does make you looking the bad guy. Best way forward, divorce and enjoy a new happy life without her..

7. Also beware the I'm so sorry lets get back together, this can be honest but can also be a oh sxxt he's caught on before I could maximise my circumstances or oh bxgxxr the lover has left spending most of MY available funds.....hmmmm husband still has a good job.......

8. Try to look strong, as though you don't care....nothing annoys a woman more....

9. Try a new hobby that gets you out of the house, the gym, swimming, something that helps you look leaner fitter and more attractive to the opposite sex is good, dancing lessons will make you popular and buck up your confidence.....and a cctv camera to watch the house whilst your out.

I posted rather than pmed in case it helps anyone else.

10. speak to men in your country (and hence your laws) who have also gone through this, to try to ensure you know your rights.

Jukebox,

I have learned from   ...   and laughed at your many posts  ...   as have many here.

I am sad to learn of your circumstances, it simply isn't the best of experiences. It will feel very large right now, but do keep reminding yourself that there is an end to it, hence the legal process.

Maybe I can give you a mild smirk, even at this stage.  .......... 

When I went through mine, the Judge called us both back to his private Chambers a month later. He had calculated that the split funds went 18k in her favour and wanted to know if I was concerned.  I confirmed I was aware and was content with the situation. He took a moment to look at me to see if I was serious, then he allowed himself the slightest twitch of a smile, signed the papers. I knew that, even given the sometimes strange legal system here, there is no way she can ever come back for more   ...   never!  I am indeed content and have a new-born freedom of spirit, worth every penny.  ..  :no:

Also ended up better off in the longer term  ...   she wasn't spending my money any more  ..... 

I for one [and I am certain many more] will miss your layout, but I would miss your knowledge ...  and wit even more so. Please keep visiting all of us, when you have time and leave some of the sunshine you have in the past.

J

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jukebox

"Life" seems to make a habit of taking bad turns and although this one may not be so good, as has been mentioned, there will be an end to it and life will return to a more amenable state. I have followed your thread from the beginning and the first post on "Why does anyone start a layout thread" really does sum up what the hobby is about and why we do what we do. Throughout it is also clear that you love the challenges of building a layout and although your mojo has taken a bashing I am sure it will return.

It is sad that the story of Stockrington may not be concluded, but I am also sure that once your life is back on an even keel, you will locate another "space" and Stockrington 2 will rise from the ashes, so I will keep watching this space.

I wish you a speedy resolution to your troubles,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jukebox, like many on here I too am sorry to hear of your predicament as I have been following your thread from the beginning. I lived on Teesside for a number of years and remember something of the old Stockton railway area so was interested in seeing your interpretation of it.

The next few weeks and months will be something of a roller-coaster, physically and emotionally and in parts may feel like you have been bereaved. So take time to look after yourself and keep your friends close by you, you never know when you may need their help. Here's hoping to a just and fair outcome to all concerned parties.

Just a short note to thank all of you who have sent well wishes, both public and privately.

It did not escape my attention that today is the first anniversary of me starting this thread.

Please let it serve as a reminder to everyone that life is indeed short, and that we sometimes have little control over the roads it takes us, so we should spend every minute of it LIVING!

Cheers, and bye... for now.

Scott

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My sincere apologies. New to the thread, I'd scan-read most of the text, but not the last section. The colour drained from my face when a friend pm'd me concerning the clanger I'd dropped.

I've removed the post in question, lest anyone else as dumb as me picks up on it.

Again, apologies and best wishes,

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

Scott, My deepest commiserations, and we ALL hope you will bounce back one day and delight us with you next project.

Andy.

EDIT= Been there, got the tee shirt, and now look at me, I'm the one thats laughing. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Scott, just caught up with your thread this morning and was shocked to read of the huge change in your life.  Trying to undo many years of life together can be both painful and stressful, so my thoughts are with you.  Hopefully you will be able to reach some agreement without too much acrimony and move on.  I'm sure there will be times when you will feel very low, so just remember you have some virtual mates on here always willing to offer words of comfort and support.

Jukebox

In the hope I will be too stuffed on food or drink to care too much on the eve or the day - or otherwise lying exhausted on a sofa after feeding the family, I take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Xmas, and a happier New Year. As you know if you fancy a lifting of spirits or a joke you need only drop into Av for a chat. Enjoy the morning with the kids. 

Hi Scott,

You already have one advantage over us, up here in the North  .......................   you miss the Gales and lashing Rain, which pours in from the other side of the Atlantic   ......   

.......   you can enjoy a Beer and a view together at the same time   ................

I will raise a glass to an improving year for you, as well as the sunshine you will already be getting copious doses of  ..............    :good:

Julian

Hi Scott,

Good luck with everything. The same kind of advice above got me through a split and out the other side. It's tough, really tough but your mates (in Perth, online) will be there for you now and in 20 years when you can look back at "Stockridge Mark I" and say "Why did I ever try that double-slip on the reverse curve / slope transition?" and "Those Helijan locos... Back in the day..."

Best wishes heading your way.

Cheers, Steve.

Dear Jukebox,

I have only today caught up with your news and you therefore have my best wishes for a speedy resolution of both your personal and resulting modelling issues. Things can only get better mate - onwards and upwards!

All the best for the festive season and I trust 2014 will treat you much better.

Regards,

Well the clock is ticking over midnight here in Oz, and that means it's time to wish all the visitors and friends I have here on RMWeb a Happy Christmas. Thank you all for your support - both modelling and otherwise - that has been offered in the past 12 months.

For those in Northern Hemisphere climes, you may wish to warm yourself with the outlook here in Perth earlier this afternoon: 

post-8688-0-23648900-1387900066_thumb.jpg

It certainly is a turn around from the -20C I was experiencing last December 25th.  Which, I guess could summarize my 2013.

I have no definitive news of the future of Stockrington yet; I am hopeful I can retain my home, but an agreement that will secure that outcome still appears some months away.  However, I am on annual leave for the next 10 days, and have promised myself I will revisit my layout plans; the events of the last three months have shifted some of my viewpoints, and I am going to spend some of this "down time" altering ideas that were previously fixed, and re-casting the layout, in readiness should construction re-start.

I'm hoping to be able to put some of this online here in a week or so.

But until then, enjoy your festivities, eat, drink, and be merry!

I will be back with more in 2014.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3

It certainly is a turn around from the -20C I was experiencing last December 25th.  Which, I guess could summarize my 2013.

Well..........here..............in Dover........the lights are on................. :O .but no heating or hot water........ :no:

After a visit from Santa's engineer,...........yesterday.................the spare part's are not on Santa's sleigh............tonight....... :drag: .

Good to see you post fella........... :superman: