How do you decide on your next layout?

cromptonnut

Let's for now skip the thought of scale/gauge/era/location as for many of us, we either have an existing "preference" or we see something that inspires us, that sets us on this track in the first place.

For me, it's N gauge, 1980s/1990s, NSE on this particular idea as I have a bucketload of stock just sitting idle that seems a waste, and is an 'easy project' of mostly ready made stuff (I have track too) whilst I work on my O gauge project.

I also have some boards which will give me a 12ft x 1ft "fiddle to fiddle", "fiddle to terminus" or a 10ft x 3ft "roundy roundy" (probably scenic at front, fiddle at rear).

Every idea I come up with so far makes me think of someone else's layout project, and I don't want to feel I'm "copying" someone else. Aberdeen Kirkhill, for example - can't remember seeing a carriage depot In N before. Nice roundy roundy elevated track in an urban setting - Cross Street.

Does it matter? I mean, there are countless interpretations of the standard GWR terminus layout out there, in various scales.

I should also point out that my skills are likely to produce nowhere near as good a result as anything I may "copy" :)

I quite like the idea of something like Skegness as a terminus which has the station and carriage facilities ... but that wouldn't suit my stock or area of interest, plus there's no freight facilities.

Exeter Riverside Yard, or similar, has a certain appeal as there's lots of space for freight stock with mainline stock running by ... but then I'm not really a fan of shunting in N. Much of my stock is older Poole Farish stuff so I'd have to spend a certain amount on new stuff with NEM pockets in to try Dapol's funky new couplings, and I'm not sure that spending more than a small amount will be approved by the domestic authorities - the fact it's going to be an inexpensive project is one of the few reasons I'm allowed to consider one more as it is.

Of course, the big advantage of N is "trains in open countryside" which would be a nice quick and easy project with plenty of opportunities for adding some detail - but again most layouts run a far more frequent train service than the real thing - plus the western end of the Waterloo/Exeter route isn't exactly well known for much freight stock.

Which brings me back to urban - which then means lots of buildings. But again, what to do? Depot layouts are two a penny, and if I was going to do one of those I'd be better off using my OO gauge DCC stock. Engineers yard? Lots of opportunity for odd stock which I don't have, but then most of it would surely just sit there 90% of the time? Station? Junction?

Am I thinking too much? Am I wrong in restricting my thoughts to stock I already have, and instead should I be selling stuff to buy new stock for something else that I particularly fancy (not that I'm sure what that is at present), or am I wanting too much as a distraction and perhaps something simple would be a better option than a big complex layout that fills the space I have simply as it's available?

Perhaps some sort of modular system is the answer? Different mini projects that can be assembled in various combinations?

Then of course there's the matter of research. Do you enjoy it and digging out obscure bits of information, or do you prefer everything to be readily available?

Help me here... how do you narrow down the various ideas and things that appeal, to the one project you want to make?

Mornin'

Not having a current layout helped with the decision to build one.

Inspiration, for me, comes from modelling stock and location which I haven't before.

A layout needs to be ambitious otherwise I wouldn't start it.

Needs to be different in some ways (construction technique etc) to other layouts that I see, otherwise I would see it as copying someone elses.

Having a few inspirational photos of location and stock helps a lot too.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

My thought process went something like:

I love modelling scenery, so there will be lots of that...

Which scenic environment are you most familiar with ... the S&C

Is there plenty of information on the prototype (web, books, ease of access for visits for research) ... yes

Does the prototype run the kind of traffic you enjoy in your chosen era (mid 60s) .... yes (9F, Black 5, range of diesels)

Layout specifics: Must have lots of operational interest... roundy-roundy with goods area for shunting

Control: DCC (a given)

Then it's away we go!

I would certainly go with your "gut feeling". Be ambitious with your plans - you need a challenge to keep you going, including things you may never have done/used before.

Cheers,

Jeff

Interesting thought there Torr Giffard, it's almost the "familiarity breeds contempt", that I'm restricting myself to "what I know" simply because it's easy.

Now, I do have a Linie tram which is (in the fog and from a distance, at speed) not dissimilar to the Croydon tram but green, which does go into Wimbledon so I do have the "NSE" link... so it may be "ficticious but plausible" however the alternative locations that fit would mostly be operated by slam door stock, and there isn't an NSE "CEP" yet, blue/grey then becomes too early for the trams, and I'm back to where I started...

For me rolling stock has a big part to play, I look at a loco or even wagon's etc and think "thats nice, lets build somewhere for it to run".

I model in three scales N,00, and 0 so i'm constantly tempted by whatever manufacture's are releasing. At the moment i'm tempted to build an 0 gauge layout for the for the forthcoming Heljan 60, but i want it to look right, a 8 foot board with a heavy freight loco is not what i want, and unless i build a depot which i'd rather not i will now spend many an hour trying to think of something imaginative to create a scene for a 60.

Other projects i fancy are a shunting layout in N using the Dapol couplings, perhaps somewhere like sheerness steelworks, I'm also starting to look at french and German railways and have thoughts about a dual sided layout, French down one side and German the other all from a couple of photo's in a magazine.

I think its one part of the hobby that enjoy the most, daydreaming different idea's, spending hours sketching them on paper and then attempting to build them.

Graham.

Physicsman, that's sorta where I came to with my current ideas - but then invariably they evolve into something that's too complex/large for one person to operate alone. DCC might help here with automatic route setting and control of certain trains but as I said with most of my stock being old Poole Farish, DCC conversion isn't always as easy.

You're right, it's hard to get the balance between "pushing your skills" to keep them withyn reach (another nice little layout!) and "being so easy it gets boring before you finish it".

I guess one of the things I've never really got far with is kit building stuff - but that's back to the "spending money" issue...

Shanks, that's where I'm stuck too :) Started off 35 years ago in OO, moved to N in the mid 90's and spent ridiculous amounts on stock (most of which I still have) then got bitten by the DCC sound bug a few years ago so amassed a reasonable quantity of OO stock and about a dozen sound fitted locos which I'm keen not to leave to gather dust. Then I'm experimenting with O gauge at the moment (this thread) and as much as I'd like to have something of all three on the go I don't have the room or the time to do so.

I keep seeing things in other scales, just like you, and veer off with a temptation... and know the difficulties of a 8ft layout and a 2ft long loco with 2ft long points...

....there is no such thing as a bad or wrong model railway because you often learn more from mistakes or bad decisions than good ones. More importantly...keep modelling!

I have a thing about prototypical curves which rules out round or oval layouts for me...that is quite a limitation.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

How do I decide....? Absolutely no idea !

The Chacewater-Newquay trio are as a result of seeing other making several buildings for a future layout - Chubber's Bears End and meeting Bill Jones at Taunton SWAG being influential.

Boxfile layouts are just "ooh, I'd like to try modelling that".

I'm also not averse to blatently copying another idea if it's a good one...

Doubt that helps with the OP's question, though !

I guess that most "ideas" will have already been built so the only things left that aren't copying someone else is being the first to repaint something in the latest technicolour livery... and on that basis whether I build a station, yard, depot or whatever I end up choosing, it will always be a copy "of sorts" even if it's only because I'm using the same rtr stock and trackwork as everyone else.

Unless you go back to handbuilding stuff using metal cut from a biscuit tin or something, the only way to make your layout truly yours is by personalising stuff even if it's only renaming locos.

....that line of thinking will certainly limit the appearence of a future layout.

Try writing down the 3 most important aspects of your next layout (to you) and stick to them.

Simplifying your priorities removes the clutter which might be blocking your forward vision.

Dave

Surely because we copy a set practice from the real railway there's always going to be some similarity in our models.

My layout in planning puts the railway up on a viaduct / arches like cross st, gresby and frankland.

Like frankland it exits in a cutting despite the track being level, twisting the ground around the railway instead.

Unlike the above, it's going to be a grotty mill town starting to look forward to the bright and exciting future of the 50's amongst its mill chimmneys all set in a splash of countryside.

The elements in it were chosen as I want to build a certain building or type of building, others because I want it on the layout.

I suppose a top list for me would be

1) Built with portability in mind (not just for exhibitions although that's a bonus - a lot of it is because it doesn't have a permanent place to be erected at home).

2) Operatable by just me, or with some computer assistance (if using DCC).

3) Use as much existing stuff as possible so as not to endure the wrath of the domestic authorities.

4) Achieveable in a reasonably short amount of time but not to feel rushed to complete by a deadline.

I think mixing the tram and mainline rail is going to be a bit of a non-starter simply because of the lack of real locations where they meet; unless it's an entirely ficticious location. But then that could mean two separate layouts... oh dear...

• RMweb Premium

I do sometimes think we worry to much about has it been modelled before, does it really matter as this is your interpretation of a given location either factual or fiction.

The main criteria being space, cost and is it to use stock you already have or new stock will be a factor.

When a artist sets out to paint a picture of a landscape I doubt if they are concerned, has this been painted before and even if it has there painting will not be identical to previous paintings.

Build a layout that you want to the to the standards or a higher Standard that you have done before, and stop working what others think.

Life is to short........

Happy Modelling

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

I can identify with this thread! I am interested in too many different railways and also appreciate the advantages of the various scales. Result - all sorts of equipment, numerous false starts and no current layout.

Torr G's analytical approach is no doubt the right one. Just need to get building before another set of ideas comes along to distract me!

Like others, I'm not sure that "copying" is a problem. I can still enjoy looking at layouts based on Ashburton. If they are good, there will still be something for me to admire and the builder to be proud of. If modelling a prototype location, there are only so many out there that are interesting and adaptable to a model.

One of the great advantages of modelling a "might-have-been" is that you start of with a certain number of parameters to guide you but each modeller will find different solutions. I am aware of there being/or having been at least five versions of Dewsbury Midland (but there are probably many more). None are remotely similar to the others.

^^^ Ditto!

This place doesn't help either!

I often start and finish my day on here, browse through the various topics and spot something which ignites an interest and sometimes, away we go.

I've spent too many years (& too much money!) following an idea so far, developing the track plan, acquiring stock and so forth - only to be distracted by something else, sometimes before I've even started actually building the thing.

I suppose the real answer is to go away and actually get building and ignore everything else.

Good luck!

John E.

I had a nice idea of an airport based layout - a bit like Gatwick where the station on a main line is under the terminal, and perhaps model a bit of the runway apron with a few planes parked up - until I realised that a 1:150 scale 767 was 3" longer than my boards are wide...

I had a nice idea of an airport based layout - a bit like Gatwick where the station on a main line is under the terminal, and perhaps model a bit of the runway apron with a few planes parked up - until I realised that a 1:150 scale 767 was 3" longer than my boards are wide...

Saw something very similar to that at the Chelmsford show. I think it won Best layout.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Great West Road, I simply saw in a book on GWR sheds that Salisbury (GWR) was a Dean shed half the size of the one at Southall... near to where I grew up. That was it. Memories of trackside factories, canals, bridges and rail journeys and I was away into books, google and rmweb.

I love the research and the planning...but I also look forward to fixing things to the baseboard.

• RMweb Premium

I tend to think of what features I would like then look for a prototype that fits the bill.

After this I then consider the space that I have to play with and scrap the first, second, third etc prototype that I have found as I can be certain that it just won't fit the space that I have.

The next step is to rationalise the "wants" and find something that does fit. After doing this a few times you tend to find something that works.

I also quite frequently look at what building the layout will give me, trying to get it to produce something that will help me learn for the "big one".

for my next one it will be all about space and portability, probably a fiddle-yard at each end, with the option of using the layout as part of a bigger one in the future.

it also has to be a real place, with plenty of resources to get info from, and be small enough to allow me to concentrate on the details and scenic interest, while still allowing a little shunting.

In some respects, the plethora of good quality RTR doesn't help the decision-making process. Many years ago, unless we had the skill to make brass or white metal kits, our choice of prototype was limited by the availability of RTR stock. Now, it's very tempting to get carried away by the latest superb offering and that is even beginning to happen in O gauge. Not that I would want to change that as RTR models provide greater opportunity to model particular prototypes (and geographical areas) and also encourages modellers to move into scales they would not have previously attempted. However, a long time ago, I wanted to model the S&D in OO gauge but had a limited RTR range to choose from. If I was contemplating an S&D model now, I would be spoilt for choice, particularly since the introduction of a very nice S&D 7F.

Ultimately, isn't it about doing something that provides personal satisfaction (including the satisfaction of pleasing viewers at an exhibition) and drawing on individual modelling strengths whether they be building rolling stock, scenic work, operational interest etc. It's also about making compromises because unless we have all the space, time and money to build our dreams, something has to give.

And ........ the planning and day-dreaming is as much about this hobby as anything else. Now about that S&D 7F ........

Archived