How do you decide on your next layout?

cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

My last (more or less) finished layout took up all the spare bedroom and was a OO9 layout. That went when my wife needed the room as a study.US steam was another interest. Being in a club meant I could play with my American trains there. I've also started building a Ruritanian town centre to run my assorted European trains through. I'm not making any progress on anything and to be honest I think I miss seeing trains run round.

So the next layout will allow that to happen but I'll make it so I can also use it as a fiddle yard / run round for my US and European trains.

The plan is for about 12 feet of vaguely Warwickshire ex LMS mainline, vaguely mid 1960s, connected to a 1 metre radius semicircles leading to either storage or my HO stuff as required.

I've built a couple of boards for the station and goods yard and one of the semi circles. I'm going to attempt to include elements of Hampton in Arden station. I will try and make the scenery as well as I can but this is intended to be nothing really more than a train set. A kind of place to run all the modern equivalents of the things in the Triang catalogue I wanted but wasn't able to have (one Christmas my brother got the Blue Pullman and I got got a green 2 car DMU, perhaps I can undo the trauma now) :) .

• RMweb Gold

I had a nice idea of an airport based layout - a bit like Gatwick where the station on a main line is under the terminal, and perhaps model a bit of the runway apron with a few planes parked up - until I realised that a 1:150 scale 767 was 3" longer than my boards are wide...

That sounds like a pretty interesting idea though. How about just hiding half a 767 behind a terminal building on the upper level of the layout, and then having the trains on the lower level?

Or you could just go the full hog and beat this :O :

• RMweb Premium

That sounds like a pretty interesting idea though. How about just hiding half a 767 behind a terminal building on the upper level of the layout, and then having the trains on the lower level?

Absolutely brilliant.

Made my day. Thanks for posting.

I suppose a top list for me would be

1) Built with portability in mind (not just for exhibitions although that's a bonus - a lot of it is because it doesn't have a permanent place to be erected at home).

2) Operatable by just me, or with some computer assistance (if using DCC).

3) Use as much existing stuff as possible so as not to endure the wrath of the domestic authorities.

4) Achieveable in a reasonably short amount of time but not to feel rushed to complete by a deadline.

I think mixing the tram and mainline rail is going to be a bit of a non-starter simply because of the lack of real locations where they meet; unless it's an entirely ficticious location. But then that could mean two separate layouts... oh dear...

Ok that's the restrictions you've got, how about what you actually want to play with.

The easiest (and cheapest) solution as you've said in the first post is N gauge, NSE, late '80s/early '90s. You're not a fan of shunting in N so that's a coaching stock depot out of the question.

What you have said is open countryside but only thought about Wat-Exe. How about between Didcot and Oxford? A reasonable amount of 47 and 50 hauled rakes, plus some cross-country services. An extensive Speedlink service from Birmingham to Reading and beyond, oil tanker trains to and from Fawley and even stone traffic.

If you want a small station for DMUs to stop at try Radley (562 ft long), Culham (564 ft over staggered platforms, bridge at South End) or Appleford (283 ft long, bridge at North end).

Hopefully I've got you thinking a bit more out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz4NcTnQedo&feature=relmfu

wow! going to find out a little more about that..

Well clearing through some stock boxes today it seems that I sold on my N gauge Class 150/2 which would have been perfect for a modern-ish country branchline, perfect for those long thin boards I found, so I guess that's out of the question. I did find a OO one that I forgot I'd bought though, so maybe that's "meant to be"...

The N gauge tram layout (using two of the Hiroshima trams http://www.hoedl-linie8.de/HTML/PRODUKTE/TRAM/COMBINONSPUR.HTM) still has a certain appeal though but every time I come up with something, I find myself adding a mainline into the project and that then takes it beyond the small boards. Maybe I just need to focus...

in reply to the question in the topic title - How do I decide my next layout? I have to finish the one I'm doing first and from reading the forum it appears that a lot of people don't manage that and allow themselves to be distracted by changes of scale, gauge, a change of era after seeing someone else's layout or the latest RTR whatever...

I do have ideas in my head though - N gauge colliery in the 1960s, 7mm narrow gauge ironstone mine in the 1940s and a 4mm (EM) unspecified industrial works in the 1950s/60s.

They are the serious ideas - the ones I know I can achieve but there are countless others (some of which aren't industrial!) that I think about but know I will never build because I know my limits in skills, space, time and cash. But I don't allow myself to be distracted by these by buying stock for them and then having to build something for the stock to run on.

The process goes something like this:

It has to be an industrial railway, usually.

The scene must be able to be modelled, believably, within the space available - it's no use trying to model a steelworks or Kings Cross in a space of 6ft x 2ft in O because, until someone invents a TARDIS you can't fit it in. You could build one tiny part but I don't see the point.

The stock must be available for the intended period and industry (or railway company), or it must be within my capabilities to scratch build it - If I need, say, a particular loco or type of rolling stock to portray it then that's what I need - If no one makes a kit and I can't scratchbuild one, and if a compromise is too silly then I'm not going to do it. If I can't have what I need I'll scrub that layout idea off the list.

The trackplan must be able to be laid using RTR track or I must be able to afford to have the track built for me - so complex track plans are out. I have built my own track on O14 but never again!

But the main thing is self discipline. If you flit from one thing to another and never finish a layout then you can never really say you're deciding on your NEXT layout because whatever baseboard you're working on is still always your current layout. IMHO, of course...

The planing of mine is from my local station. I like ex LSWR in the early 30s.. Fortunatly the LSWR had a fairly standard layout for their small stations. I will base the track plan on Corfe Castle. I will with a little effort be able to run it as a BLT or a through station as it should be. The goods yard is big enough to be interesting. I will also be able to have some oddities like a holiday train from london and through coaches from other regions.

This is all in my head at the moment. I will get to terms with templot sometime soon.

• RMweb Premium

This is how it works for us....

John (Old Gringo) goes down the pub 'to play darts' and comes back with a 'fuzzy idea'. In the cold light of day he either bins the idea or sends a note to me and Damian. We have a little fiddle with the concept and while John thinks of reasons we shouldn't do it, Damian gets his chop saw out and builds the boards. About a year later we appear at a show....

All four of the layouts are very different but reflect interests that one or more of the group has:

Treneglos is OO, set in the late 50s / early 60s and is a typical station on the North Cornwall Railway.

Diesels in the Duchy is EM, set in the late 80s and is based on St Blazey depot.

Once Upon a Time...in the West is a ongoing project in HO, set in New Mexico around 1919.

Black Country Blues is EM, initially set in the early 70s and represents an industrial part of the Black Country.

The only real connection is that all have been researched so that the model can clearly be identified as being of the area / period and that on each occasion we push standards and try new things. We aim to make all of them very presentable but operationally very different. BCB is the biggest project yet, built to the tightest deadlines in full view of RMweb and BRM. It has drawn back together the team that built New Haden and is now also involving interested members of RMweb. As such this has turned into something very different from Treneglos.

On each layout though, it's been a strong interest in an area or period that has been the seed for the layout idea. We've gone with the flow on each project and more and more have welcomed and incorporated input from folk on here. It's a fantastic resource of ideas, as long as you keep in mind the basics of what your layout concept is.

With me, it's a case of trying something I haven't done before. After a couple of years at most I'm bored with a layout. Somehow each layout seems to suggest the next. The common theme, however, is that they have all been small (and getting smaller), no more than 15 square feet.

First layout (in 2000-2001) - finding out what model railways were all about, ending up with a mish-mash that was basically BR steam, using more or less traditional techniques. I wanted a continuous run, but no room for OO so I went for 3mm scale. Learnt basic kitbuilding, wiring and scenery building.

Second layout - experimenting with computer control, balsa wood for baseboards, and continental TT.

Third layout - back to BR steam, but attempting something more prototypical with more realistic operation, including signalling.

Fourth layout - exploring N gauge, micro layout building and American prototypes. Unfinished because I didn't take to N gauge. But kicked the round-and-round habit.

Fifth layout - sticking to micro layout theme but exploring American HO and British OO, finding out more about American prototypes.

I'm on the verge of my sixth layout, which will hopefully attempt something more finescale and carefully detailed, possibly back to 3mm and British outline. But I want to keep the fifth as well, at least for a while (I just love that American HO stuff!), so this one will probably be the smallest yet.

I try not to accumulate too much stock, selling bits as I go along.

1. Prototype Location

2. Scotland!

3. Finescale - even in OO!

4. Maintaining a scale length, this seems to add realism.

To follow on from our Alloa and to a similar (or better?) standard, I have an idea in mind which I am slowly convincing my group colleagues, but don't hold your breath it's a long way away yet!

I have so many layouts I would like to build, it is really tricky to decide what to do. I don't know if my next layout will be 00, 009, or 014... and there are different ideas for each scale too!

What I would say is there is nothing wrong by being inspired by other layouts, they can give you ideas for operational layouts, practicalities such as fiddle yard and baseboard designs, and what works. Also if you like a layout, you would probably like a similar layout. However there is a danger of modelling a model which does not make for realism - no matter how good the model that provides the inspiration! So always look to the prototype as your primary source, even for a freelance layout.

One prototype that inspired me this summer was Weymouth Harbour. Main line trains being hauled through the streets by a big diesel (class 33), squeezing past parked cars, old buildings, and fishing boats, to a station on the quayside. Some parcels and freight traffic as well as boat trains to the ferry. I'd probably go for a freelance interpretation giving scope for more freight traffic (an oil terminal and freight imports perhaps?), and maybe assuming the harbour has become a cruise terminal with special trains for passengers, but keeping many key features of the setting. It would certainly be a challenge with lots of buildings and details that will make the scene, but could be interesting to operate (OK for one) with main line trains in the space of a BLT. I don't have the space, and I have too many other ideas, so it is unlikely to happen though!

Yes, I've seen pictures of tankers. I presume they were for bunker fuel rather than import? In my mind I had a late '80's/90's era layout, with a cruise terminal and more freight traffic, just to make things more interesting. It's definitely an inspiring prototype though.

Archived