Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Swanwick Junction Model Railway Club - Fire

Sam Moss

Very sad to report that in the early hours of this morning a fire was discovered at Swanwick Junction. By the time people arrived on site to investigate and the fire brigade were contacted, Swanwick Junction Model Railway Clubs buildings where completely destroyed. The fire brigade where in attendance from 1am till about 4.30am this morning (28/10/12) and battled to get the fire under control with a limited water supply due to the location.

Sadly from inspection in day light it is obvious that nothing is salvagable. Their main building housing two 00 gauge layouts and one N gauge where reduced to just ash with their second building housing two large 0 gauge layouts reduced to pretty much the same.

A container full of insulation for building projects, scaffolding planks and various P Way tools located in the compound to the left of the model railway also burnt to the ground. The old Allports shop to the right hand side also caught light but luckily was put out relatively quickly due to quick action by the fire brigade.

The fire also melted a large electrical junction box causing power to be lost to various parts of the site.

Fire Investigation are dealing with the incident and at the moment are not sure whether it was deliberate or an accident.

As you can see from the picture, we have fenced the area off to preserve the area the best we can so the Fire Brigade can conduct their investigation. It will also need to the visited by the railways insurers. It is hoped to clear the area ready for next Saturday's fireworks night, however if that is not the case then please bear with us.

post-7316-0-06656200-1351468599_thumb.jpg

Very sad news Sam and I am sure many members will join me in offering sympathy (not that it is much use). Insurance at times like this though very valuable can never replace the amount of time,effort and passion that has been lost.

• RMweb Gold

Sad news indeed. Echoing Mod5's comments - a large amount of work lost forever, the buildings can be replaced (by something better!) funds not withstanding, but the time and effort taken to build the layouts can never be replaced.

My opinion? - once the authorities have finished clear the whole site and start planning their replacement including the now empty Allports building.

Ian (an MRB shareholder)

• RMweb Gold

My sympathies aswell.

That happened to us when the Croydon Model Railway Society was based in the buildings at Purley Oaks station back in 1989.

Turned out to be an electrical fault during the wiring of the station in an adjacent part of the building to the clubrooms.

None of the layouts could be saved mainly due to the water damage and the roof caving in on them.

I can only echo the thoughts already posted, what a terrible situation.

After working in the fire service for thirty years, it was always a poignant moment when years of work & devotion are lost in such circumstances.

I also echo the thought that the matter of insurance will hopefully permit a full rebuild & replacement, it will never cover those lost hours of work.

May I send the deepest of sympathy to all concerned from the guys at Barnstaple Model Railway Club, you will arise like a phoenix from the flames.

Cheers guys

Rob 'westcountryman' Morgan

Thankfully it wasn't the club I am involved with but we all still feel drained. I think plans for the area will now include what to put there for the future as we will have a clean area to deal with once cleared. Sadly the club involved did not have insurance and it will depend on whether the standard MRT insurance will cover it which I very much doubt.

Hi Sam,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your clubroom, I know how you all must be feelingI have been down thisroad myself. About eleven years ago I had a fire in my loft and lost all my layout and most of my stock. As well as this we had many of our two daughters baby toys my expensive video camera and other family bits and pieces. In all I lost at least £13,000 of models but the whole bill was around £36,000. I was lucky to have a good loss ajuster who sorted everything out for me. I managed to persuade him to allow me to replace my stock at Rails of Sheffield. It was great spending £13,000 on all those new models! Still I would'nt want to go down that road again. Just be thankful no one was injured, I hope you have a good insurer.

Best wishes

Ian

As a working volunteer at Swanwich, I am very sad to hear about this attack. Sympathy’s to all who have lost work and assets, it must be very disheartening. This comes on top of the Pullman coach fire and countless metal theft attacks in recent times, perhaps security of the whole site needs addressing.

Gary

Very sorry to hear peopl's work has been lost in this way.

When the insurance company begin to make sure the account for time. For example all the part for a kit built loco may come to, say, £150 with the kit and wheels/motor, but the actual replacement cost of the finished loco is in reality several hundred pounds. Not much consolation but it may bring funding to buy in help to speed up projects or develop better facilities.

When the insurance company begin to make sure the account for time. For example all the part for a kit built loco may come to, say, £150 with the kit and wheels/motor, but the actual replacement cost of the finished loco is in reality several hundred pounds. Not much consolation but it may bring funding to buy in help to speed up projects or develop better facilities.

As I understand it the Buildings were covered by the MRB's insurance, but the MRC had no cover for the contents so will get nothing for the loss of layouts and stock...

But yes it does highlight the need to be clear what is covered by whom and on what basis. The Magnet Policy many MRCs use does give the option of 'Materials cost' or 'Full (Professional) Replacement Cost' but if you want the higher payout you need to clearly specify it and of course pay the corespondingly higher premiums...

Hi all, My granddad was a member there and i came as a guest, it is saddening to see and here about what has happened, but i have seen comments about the insurance so for a example....

As I understand it the Buildings were covered by the MRB's insurance, but the MRC had no cover for the contents so will get nothing for the loss of layouts and stock...

But yes it does highlight the need to be clear what is covered by whom and on what basis. The Magnet Policy many MRCs use does give the option of 'Materials cost' or 'Full (Professional) Replacement Cost' but if you want the higher payout you need to clearly specify it and of course pay the corespondingly higher premiums...

Very sorry to hear peopl's work has been lost in this way.

...to make it clear for you all, the model railway club couldn't get insurance because of the buildings being made of wood im not so sure on the MRB insurance, and as we all know we can see here this is what happens when it does catch fire...post-7316-0-06656200-1351468599_thumb.jpg

Connor

...to make it clear for you all, the model railway club couldn't get insurance because of the buildings being made of wood im not so sure on the MRB insurance, and as we all know we can see here this is what happens when it does catch fire...

If this is the case I do hope you'll be able to continue in some shape or form.

Hi folks, sorry to hear the recent news. We know it's early days yet but when the phoenix rises we would be happy to help in any way we can, with all profits to the club; layout designing at exhibition for a small donation, artwork to sell from our railway articles, bits of ephemera, a few books etc. We live in Chesterfield so contact should be relatively easy. Small as the amount might be we'd love to help, if this is of interest we 'd be grateful if a club member could make contact via PM when the time is right.

With our kindest regards, Paul and Anne Lunn

Archived