This is actually German, but it struck me that it would make a good USA small layout

shortliner

Nice find. Looking at Bing Maps it seems that the traffic is still running (if the map is up to date) as there is a wagon parked at the end of the freight branch. Also looking further east along the main line there is a 2 car DMU - nice subject to model.

Chris M

Can anyone explain why, once he's back on the main line, the shunter shuffles back and forward in such an obviously unprototypical manner? Why not just back out on to the main and then head west , rather than running up to the bridge, then back east out of sight, then back past. Is there a gradient we cannot see, that he needed to take a run at?

Can anyone explain why, once he's back on the main line, the shunter shuffles back and forward in such an obviously unprototypical manner? Why not just back out on to the main and then head west , rather than running up to the bridge, then back east out of sight, then back past. Is there a gradient we cannot see, that he needed to take a run at?

Is it to get the Kadee coupling to uncouple? :jester: :senile:

Great clips Jack, thanks for posting

The shuffling back and forth seems to be to save the engineer walking from one end of the train to the to the other, but I'm at a loss to explain the run all the way back out of sight near the end of the second clip, perhaps there's something we don't know about like another customer up there.

Nick

Having looked more closely at the 'fly-shunting' bit............I think an answer may lie with the 'height difference' between the 'main' line and the yard tracks?

If the head shunt/lead is at the same roadbed height as the main running line....but the gradient transition is between the entry turnout into the yard...and the first turnout of the 'loop'.....then...as long as the wagons are clear of the loop turnout blades when the loco is uncoupled, gravity alone will get the wagons rolling....?

[There would need to be more distance between the entry turnout from the headshunt into the loop.....and the first loop turnout, in the plan above...for example......maybe a wagon-length?]

Doe anyone by any chance know what the name of the town would translate to in English?

I know "Dorf" is "village" but I dont know the Rais bit

This community is near Kiel which is Schleswig-Holstein, not Niedersachsen and ploughing through the town website it is unfortunately not that easy to identify the source of the name. It was originally called Wendischer Rathwersdorpe and during the centuries the name changed through Raddersdorpe to Raystörff to Kieler Raisdorf

I know that does not answer the question correctly but I expect there will be a lot of dutch/friesische dialect influence to the name which governed how the written name was spelle

[There are many UK towns which are not spoken as written :-)]

es grüßt

PC

I'm not familiar with this location but from looking at the footage I think the series of movements, once back on the main line is for:

- running up to the bridge to allow the driver with the remote control to step on the last wagon. This way the driver is at the leading end of the train when running back to the station.

- back out of sight is most probably the return to the station, where the shunt move originated from. Think of it as returning the keys/token to the station that issued them to the driver.

- then the train runs signaled as ordinary train along the line.

I may be wrong though.

Archived