A light engine move worth modelling

beast66606

Back in the 1990's the UP would run weekly 25 unit power moves of good power out of LA to N Platte and Chicago. They were in good order.

Dave, I think UP were running those trains long before that. I've seen a picture of one in Echo Canyon, Utah in 1979. Apparently, they could easily catch freights there, so ...

Maybe they could push it?

... that is what they did. They would use them as a manned helper set up the canyon. I don't know how big a set they would use this way - the picture I've seen shows only six. Apparently, it meant that brakes would have to be applied for curves, going up the hill. Then there was a derailment with one of these 'super helpers' involved, and they stopped the practice.

... that is what they did. They would use them as a manned helper set up the canyon. I don't know how big a set they would use this way - the picture I've seen shows only six. Apparently, it meant that brakes would have to be applied for curves, going up the hill. Then there was a derailment with one of these 'super helpers' involved, and they stopped the practice.

UP rules pre-MP merger prohibited having more than 7500 hp either cut in or as a rear end helper. So regardless of how many engines you had coupled, only 7500 hp of them could be on line.

This is not a power move the railroad uses for repositioning power, this is definitely a revenue dead engine move delivering retired engines for rebuilding/scrapping.

An SD40T-2 weighs about 370,000 lbs fully loaded. Since these are dead/stored/retired engines, they wouldn't have fuel or water in them, and could be missing components (engine, air compressor, traction motors, main generator, etc). Lets say 7 lbs/gal of deisel fuel, 4000-5000 gal tank so that's 30,000 lbs. So the engines probably weighed around 340,000 lbs, 170 tons. Considering a typical coal train weighs 15-19,000 tons, a large power move isn't that heavy of a train.

• 3 years later...

Such a shame to see Tunnel Motors in the Yellow Peril's colours, rather than in their correct Bloody Nose and Lark Dark Gray; I fear that Lucius Beebe was, unfortunately, wrong when he wrote of the Southern Pacific "California has been the feudal property of the far-flung, imperial SP from earliest times - and probably it will be until the sun sets forever upon railroading."

"Roll on, Southern Pacific" - Neil Young

• RMweb Gold

A large amount of SD40-T2's and SD45-T2 rebuilds went to South America, especially Chile, some were even converted to metre gauge (I think).  I remember seeing several pictures of them being off loaded including a former BN SD40-2.  I think most came from LTEX and HELM.

Julian Sprott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

As the comment says, looks like 13 on the point here:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=538677&nseq=6

MKT moved much more tonnage south than north, so there was often extra power being moved back on northbounds.

That was taken at Ney Yard in Ft Worth looking north.  Tower 55 is the brick building in the distance.  The ATSF and SP are approaching from the left.  That is a southward train, not a northward train.

The SP was the furthest to the left, the ATSF went south behind the photographer then crossed the SP at grade and headed SW.  The SP went to the south end of Ney Yard and crossed the MKT, headed SE to Corsicana.  The MKT went due south to Waco.  the MP, by now UP, had trackage rights over the MKT.  AMTK came into Ft Worth on the TP, the AMTK station was on the ATSF north of Twr 55 and it left town on the ATSF.

The retaining wall in the middle of the picture was made of H piles driven in with boxcar doors slipped between the piles, between the flanges of the piles.

The remains of the MKT roundhouse was behind the photographer and to the left, by 1988 it was a contract shop.

Archived