Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMWeb Model Proposal (but not what you may think!)

In another series of postings (see: http://www.rmweb.co....tion-for-andy/) someone suggested that a possible source of revenue could be a RMWeb special model/kit - of course then we run into the thorny problem of scale/prototype/era/features when we talk about a locomotive, coach or wagon...

But why not think outside of the box (as they say in modern business jargon). What about a building? Many of the offerings from the usual sources, whilst nice, seem to be (to my eyes) too small (see debate at: http://www.rmweb.co....ructure-size/). Furthermore, some offerings seem rather twee

Creating a resin kit in of a building could be a possible solution. My thoughts:

• The model could be offered in the 3 Major scales - A building is basically a box and thus relatively easy to scale up (from 4mm to 7mm) or down (to 2mm or N Gauge)
  • Half-relief could be an option
  • It would be modelled on a real prototype and the resulting structure would be dimensionally correct with all the correct "gubbins" in all the right places!
  • To minimise production costs, the model could be designed so that etched windows (and other bits???) would be provided for the purchaser to fit
  • Models could come either unpainted or with a basic undercoat applied
  • Packing could be bubble wrapped in a plain cardboard box with a RMWeb sticker applied to the outside (cheap packaging)

But what to model? I think that there are a few options that could be effectively used by people modelling most areas and most eras

• Cheap, speculator built, Victorian or Edwardian uban terraced housing (the type with bits of cheap stucco detailing stuck on to increase the rental/house price)
  • Georgian Terrace Housing
  • 1930s Art Deco Apartment Block
  • 1930s Art Deco Detached House
  • 1930s Art Deco Garage
  • An Urban Mews (low relief)).
  • A Victorian Rectory
  • A thatched cottage (outside of Pendon, I have rarely seen a convincing model of one)

The first three could be modular with three kits available: the individual house with a roof. left end wall and right end wall (the apartment block kit could be constructed as entrance and first floor with a roof, extra floors available as add ons)

Anyway, just some thoughts for a possible subject for a RMWeb kit. It'd be interesting to find out what other buildings RMWebbers feel that we lack as kits or RTP

Guest Max Stafford

Interesting proposals and interesting examples Dottore. From a maximum appeal point of view, I would suggest the Art Deco buildings as this was probably one of the very first 'universal' architectural styles and could be seen the length and breadth of the British Isles. The urban terraces would be absolutely fine for a scene in England, Wales and even Northern Ireland for that matter, but Scottish architectural styles are somewhat different and diverse until the municipal semi evolves from about 1920. This in itself isn't vastly different from the style that emerges south of the border about the same time, but differs visually in that Scottish builders apply a coat of rendering, presumably as protection against Alba's summer climate... ;)

Dave.

Could we not produce moulds for them out of plastic, like a chocolate mould. Let the people mix up and poor the resin themself then all we need to do is figure out the moulds and sell them rather than have someone who'll no doubt want paid making up the models and priming them, RMweb still makes money and theres less work involved, less cost to the modeller to maybe if a cheap supplier can be found for the resin

Could we not produce moulds for them out of plastic, like a chocolate mould. Let the people mix up and poor the resin themself then all we need to do is figure out the moulds and sell them rather than have someone who'll no doubt want paid making up the models and priming them, RMweb still makes money and theres less work involved, less cost to the modeller to maybe if a cheap supplier can be found for the resin

I'm afraid resin doesn't use plastic moulds, it sticks to the plastic. It has to be the correct mould rubber to enable it to peel off the casting.

I would be happy to produce unpainted castings for RMweb in any scale except 7mm if some one else provdes the patterns, I no longer have time for pattern making.

The reason I prefer not to produce items in 7mm is that I cast in this scale for Invertrain Model Railways in their Highland Castings buildings range, and they already produce most of the items mentioned, they are my best customer and I am sure you understand that I would not want to upset them by setting up in competition with them for what is a relatively small market.

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

An RMweb scalescenes building would be terrific and certainly solves the scaling problem, of course the ideal model would be the Blu.....................

...Already have my coat on :P

1930's semi would be good(?) - Universal appeal and loads of them still around!

Yes, there are still plenty around, but 'universal appeal'? Well, I live in one and am quite happy with it but I think you might have meant for modellers? I always knew us pre-grouping types were in another universe :P

Nick

Archived