Backdating the Airfix 61xx

Inspired by BG John of this parish, I will try to backdate the 61xx to a 31xx in original condition. The goal is a presentable model, not a masterpiece.

I will mix parts from my £7 Airfix-wreck and the Dapol kit, together with some other bits.

post-12040-0-90944800-1352210307_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-20272200-1352210355_thumb.jpg

Hi Stefan,

Given the last two, I am looking forward to seeing this one develop! Perhaps the next move is for you to do an Edwardian loco shed micro layout to display your engines in?

Good luck with the project!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks Castle!

There will be some scenic bits built. The "problem" is to make a decision of what to build and get started. I think it will be a fictional location with, at least, a couple of smallish Brunelian buildings. There's more thinking needed at this point.

Regards,

Stefan

It looks like the plastic body has the lower flanged motion bracket part above the running plate whereas the photo of 3120 shows the earlier higher flat plate type. You can see examples of the two types on these photos from the Hornby 42XX/72XX topic. First, Mike's photo of 7212 shows the later flanged type and this one of 7248 shows the earlier type as on the 31XX.

Nick

Are you going to put a layer of plasticard or similar over it? The overhang is quite prominent, and I think one of the features that makes it look different to the later appearance.

Here's my ancient affort that I think gives it the right look.

post-7091-0-67597300-1352307910.jpg

Adjusted the roof. Does it look about right?

Looks pretty close to me. According to the RCTS volume, the difference is 63/8". On the later types the highest point of the cab roof was 12' 75/8" above the rail, so this should be 13' 2".

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Stefan,

Just comparing your prototype photo at the top, to the body you're working on, the top of the door opening may need to be taken a fraction higher - almost under the roof itself? I've been searching high and low for the "locos illustrated" I have on large Prairies, so far with no success..... Great looking prototype and if the completed model is anywhere near as good as the Dean goods you backdated, we're in for a treat! Excellent stuff,

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Alastair has a point, I think, but be careful as it looks like there was a similar error on the original 61XX body before you started. The drawings and photos in Russell are not entirely conclusive on this but the doorway and aperture appear to be in exactly the same place on both types. It does appear that the top of the aperture was immediately under the edge of the roof on both types. A quick mesurement from the drawings suggests that the top of the aperture should be about 22.5mm above the running plate and the bottom at about 14mm. Front to back is about 17mm with the rear of the doorway about 4.5mm in front of the rear edge and the front of the doorway about 9mm.

Nick

Thanks Gentlemen!

Two small spectacles together with the existing windows?

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Just for reference, in the photograph of the mighty 'Didcot Donkey' below piloting No. 70000 Britannia, you can just about see the cab 'portholes' as they are jovially known at 81E that were fitted when the loco was first restored to her 1917 ROD khaki livery. Not correct for the 1950s BR livery she is in at the moment, they have been left as the eventual aim is for No. 5322 to end up back where she started as the last year of her boiler ticket coincides with the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Armistice.

post-14393-0-34467000-1352327344_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Castle

Hi Stefan,

How about No. 5322 in original 1917 WW 1 R.O.D. condition for a bit of a change for the next project? Certainly would be an interesting model! Back on topic and back to the Prairie...

All the best,

Castle

Couldn't find a picture that showed the rear of the loco, so I decided to shoot from the hip in an attempt to hide, the not so nice looking, holes for the chassis. How many bars in the back windows, I wonder?

post-12040-0-42971900-1352663245_thumb.jpg

Archived