GWR Collett BG/Full Brake

Revolution Ben

• 1 month later...

Whilst going through my library looking for something else, I stumbled on a great shot of K42 121 converted into part of an ambulance train in 1943. I suspect the modifications may be a bit too much for a simple paint-job to suffice but it is an interesting shot and one I thought I would share. Any idea what colour the body would have been, all I can tell from a B&W shot is "dark". B)

post-887-0-78919000-1357594315_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Karhedron's find would look great running with this beastie:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/coaches/1159/1159.html

No. 1159 was originally a Churchward K36 Toplight full brake built in 1925 to lot 1344 but was converted into Diagram M.33, Lot No. 1481 in 1945, becoming a medical officer's coach.

What other vehicles went into the medical trains I wonder?

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

What other vehicles went into the medical trains I wonder?

There were various vehicles in WWII with siphon G (Diagram 059) being the most numerous. The interiors had previously been fitted out with 43 beds/stretchers for evacuation trains. There were 6 trains each with 14 vehicles. Other vehicles within the ambulance trains were D104,D118, C68, H16 (dining) LMS sleepers and D94.

There were a further two ambulance trains allocated to the US troop which included a further 12 Siphon G's

Post war, some of the ex ambulance siphons could be identified by the roof ventilators that were in left in place on vehicles.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst going through my library looking for something else, I stumbled on a great shot of K42 121 converted into part of an ambulance train in 1943. I suspect the modifications may be a bit too much for a simple paint-job to suffice but it is an interesting shot and one I thought I would share. Any idea what colour the body would have been, all I can tell from a B&W shot is "dark". B)

attachicon.gifW121.jpg

I think it would have been an Army colour which is generally called Dark Olive Green (although there is probably a more correct official term).

• Like 1

There were various vehicles in WWII with siphon G (Diagram 059) being the most numerous. The interiors had previously been fitted out with 43 beds/stretchers for evacuation trains. There were 6 trains each with 14 vehicles. Other vehicles within the ambulance trains were D104,D118, C68, H16 (dining) LMS sleepers and D94.

There were a further two ambulance trains allocated to the US troop which included a further 12 Siphon G's

Post war, some of the ex ambulance siphons could be identified by the roof ventilators that were in left in place on vehicles.

Mike Wiltshire

As well as the ventilators, some of the Siphons had some/all of the louvres plated over,with some having windows fitted; these became part of the pool used as newspaper packing vans:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrsiphon/h109ec14#h109ec14

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

Does anyone know which were the last K40s?  And when they were withdrawn from normal service?  I've got the 1974 RCTS stockbook and they aren't mentioned.  I've just been told that they don't appear in the 1972 stockbook.

Thanks,

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike,

A bit like this one?

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/coaches/2796/2796.html

No. 2796 was involved in CasEvac trains in WW II and still has the roof ventilators to prove it!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

According to Michael Harris' s 'GWR coaches' the last were withdrawn in 1967. At least one received lined maroon with maroon ends (the one now preserved at Didcot).

Hi Bernard,

If you take a look down the bottom of this page and click on the image there is a picture of K40 No. 1184 in lined maroon with black ends as revcieved from BR in 1968. It must have had the ends painted black later on. She is one of less than 10 bow ended vehicles preserved and is being restored to run with TPO 814 with an offset gangway at one end. The woodwork from the bow end stored and eventually to be displayed. The conversion is one that, while it is a little inaccurate, does give an excellent excuse to restore and use this historically important vehicle!

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/coaches/1184/1184.html

All the best,

Castle

I photographed this vehicle in some detail in July 1977 before restoration and the ends were in maroon then (noted at the time), so what looks black in the photo must be caused by dirt and shadow.

Thought I'd better provide some evidence. Unfortunately I don't have a slide scanner so I dug out the slide projector and screen (and binoculars so I could check the focussing on the screen close-up!) and took a picture. Note the paint date is 1965 and the small patch I cleaned next to it - most of the dirt left by then was the mucky brake dust/oxides. In the larger view the maroon is also slightly cleaner where the overhead electrication flash was removed. This is consistent with the note in Keith Parkin's Mk.1 book, "During 1964 and 1965 the last amendment was made when the bodyside colour was continued round onto the ends of the vehicles." (p.58 1st edition).

post-1877-0-86445200-1498930589_thumb.jpg

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another shot of an interesting late survivor is K42 W130. This got a new lease of life as an Internal User numbered 096039. It seems to have been a frequent visitor at Thurso in the late 70s and early 80s (probably about as far from home as a GWR vehicle could get :)). By this point it was in rail blue and looks to have had the gangways removed.

Left hand side of this shot. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/814651

And this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthejoker/5833945998/in/set-72157626544273557

And in the distance on this one http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2878388

Any chance of a OO version as well as the N Gauge?

I realise the NGS is N !!

If you feel it would sell. you could start a group to commission one privately as the NGS did.

Alternatives, it is one of the most straightforward conversions to attempt using Comet sides on a Bachmann Collett coach, or equally straight forward kit coaches around with metal kits from Comet, BSL/Phoenix, even a plastic kit with pre priinted sides from MAJ.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium
If you feel it would sell. you could start a group to commission one privately as the NGS did.

Alternatives, it is one of the most straightforward conversions to attempt using Comet sides on a Bachmann Collett coach, or equally straight forward kit coaches around with metal kits from Comet, BSL/Phoenix, even a plastic kit with pre priinted sides from MAJ.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike, but if you saw the amount of half finished kits around the layout at the moment, I don't think I can start another one!

As for a commission, it's an idea, although I think an expensive one! Maybe Bachmann will release it in March!

Thanks for the ideas.