Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Progress up to the festive break!

The entrance to the south FY is in the foreground whilst the entire length of the North FY can be seen along the back. Although the boards are more or less complete the joiners and location dowells still need fitting. No progress now untill next year as I have enormous amounts of food and drink to consume, yes the Fatfest has begun!!

Merry xmas to all and a Happy New Year. Cheers.....

There's something almost erotic about naked baseboards, all that bare plywood...ooooh

post-10660-0-17671100-1450700991_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Oh dear i will have to get my 86 year old Mother to adjust the parental guidance for this thread........ However looking forward to seeing more of this layout over the time. Still waiting for the first video......

Have a very merry mincepie...

Keith HC

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Christmas decs put away, only six mince pies left in the tin, eight pounds heavier and wallet noticably lighter, we are back!! Happy New Year to all.

This week has seen the last baseboard finished off, all of the alignment dowels fitted along with joining catches and today with the help of Leander the extensions fitted to the last three sets of legs for the old fiddle yard. This means that for the first time ever, the whole layout has been erected in its entrety. So now I can wake the Pway gang from their post xmas slumbers and crack on with some track construction!! I have a strong feeling of dejavous as 2014 started in a very similar way but this time no exhibition deadline.

A couple of pics of progress-

post-10660-0-89621700-1452191352_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-71791600-1452191356_thumb.jpg

The eleven coaches are shown to give a sense of scale, this represents the longest rake that will run on the system, the Leeds-Glasgow, which will of course never set foot in this yard as it runs north! All of the trackwork seen will eventually be lifted and replaced with twelve more closely spaced sidings.

Regards John E.

• Like 19

• 1 month later...

The P-Way gang have recovered from the xmas break and today passed a milestone, the last turnout for the North FY  was completed. 

post-10660-0-52333600-1455194828_thumb.jpg

The plan is to carry on building pointwork for the South FY next and then the stuff for the scenic side. The FY boards are too useful for track building so laying will only commence once all construction is complete, no estimate of timescales yet.

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

And I have once again gone through this thread.It was about November last year that I last went through it. It's looking great! This is tempting me to do my own EM or P4 layout however I only have 7x5m to work with so I doubt I can fit as much in as you. I also have very limited (understatement) skills with TEMPLOT and it's turning out to be a pain in the arse!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to an update.

• Like 1

And another milestone passed today, the pointwork for the Souh Fiddle Yard now completed, Hooray!!

A couple of shots from each direction with the turnouts all laid out in their relative positions.

post-10660-0-37960100-1457976753_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-57841200-1457976757_thumb.jpg

South FY

post-10660-0-11513600-1457976744_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-19011000-1457976749_thumb.jpg

North FY

Things will go on hold for a while as I now have to complete some alterations and improvements to the garage/workshop to accommodate an expected new arrival. It does have model railway implications but more will be revealed in due course!!

Regards John E.

• Like 16

Things will go on hold for a while as I now have to complete some alterations and improvements to the garage/workshop to accommodate an expected new arrival. It does have model railway implications but more will be revealed in due course!!

Regards John E.

Ooo! You tease ;) Edited by leopardml2341

• 1 month later...

All can now be revealed!! The workshop refurb is complete and the new arrival has been delivered and installed. 

post-10660-0-29940200-1461497171_thumb.jpg

A 40W Laser cutter/engraver - as I said, it does have model railway implications!!

So now on with the important things in life.... more track making!

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would start with some turnouts that have been missing for some time, the South Carriage Sidings.

post-10660-0-62869400-1463593818_thumb.jpg

There are a couple more to do that give access back towards the loco area....

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've been lingering on and off this topic for about 12 months and only realized today, I'd never commented!

Absolutely superb start, love the flowing track work. I'm about to start work on my own layout - first in many years, and have decided to take the plunge to hand built point work, the curves just flow so much better and have a greater realism. Seeing the work you've done on your fiddle yard track just shows me that I'm right in the line of thinking (excuse the pun), and the time playing with Templot was worth it! Now I just hope I can make a decent job, having never attempted it before! Any tips or advisory comments?

I look forward to seeing Leeds City progress - well done so far.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

I've been lingering on and off this topic for about 12 months and only realized today, I'd never commented!

Absolutely superb start, love the flowing track work. I'm about to start work on my own layout - first in many years, and have decided to take the plunge to hand built point work, the curves just flow so much better and have a greater realism. Seeing the work you've done on your fiddle yard track just shows me that I'm right in the line of thinking (excuse the pun), and the time playing with Templot was worth it! Now I just hope I can make a decent job, having never attempted it before! Any tips or advisory comments?

I look forward to seeing Leeds City progress - well done so far.

Rich

Thanks for your kind comments Rich. It's nice to know that my efforts are encouraging you to have a go. If you need advice on anything just ask, I can't promise I will have the answer but will do my best.

John E.

• Like 1

...and another two bite the dust.

post-10660-0-25570600-1463674998_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-97695000-1463675003_thumb.jpg

I shall resist the temptation to get them stuck down and wired up for now and crash on with the junctions to take me around the bend. I need to do some more Temploting first to get the timbering sorted. Watch this space for Leeds City Jct Mk2!!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your kind comments Rich. It's nice to know that my efforts are encouraging you to have a go. If you need advice on anything just ask, I can't promise I will have the answer but will do my best.

John E.

John,

That's very kind of you - I certainly will!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking superb John some lovely looking turnouts, haven't quite mastered Templot myself yet though I've managed two turnouts then gave up!! :(

Cheers

Hi,

Templot can be wonderful, superb, incredible, frustrating, down right odd, and infuriating lol! But it's a great piece of software and a credit to Martin who made it - God knows how it does what it does. It's a steep learning curve, but spending time reading the Templot Club forum is highly recommended, and if you get stuck, post your box file and somebody will help. Martin has been great with me at explaining tight curves, single slips that are inner or outer and even making trackwork work correctly where I couldnt!

I essence, stick with it, once the penny drops, you'll think ... Ahhhh! That's simple!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Templot can be wonderful, superb, incredible, frustrating, down right odd, and infuriating lol! But it's a great piece of software and a credit to Martin who made it - God knows how it does what it does. It's a steep learning curve, but spending time reading the Templot Club forum is highly recommended, and if you get stuck, post your box file and somebody will help. Martin has been great with me at explaining tight curves, single slips that are inner or outer and even making trackwork work correctly where I couldnt!

I essence, stick with it, once the penny drops, you'll think ... Ahhhh! That's simple!

Rich

Thanks Rich, I'm getting slightly better at it and I think if I sit down and take my time it will click, I am on the Templot forum I'll just have to spend more time reading up. Unfortunately when using it the frustration kicks in well before it clicking and I give up :(

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Yes I know what you mean. I'm no expert by any means and still make stilly mistakes, but if your getting frustrated and stuck, ping me a PM with the box file and what your trying to do and I'll help if I can, I've loads of forum entries bookmarked etc, so might be able to point you in the right direction!

Rich