Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold

Whilst everyone has been sunning themselves, guess what I've been doing:-

attachicon.gifIMG_0600.jpg

My prototype Block Instrument. Obviously no electrics yet. Comments?

That's rather nice - and presumably the design also allows for a version with  'Up line' at the bottom and 'down Line' at the top?

Now the $64,000 question - moving needles or LEDs? (I think I can guess the answer but you never know ;) ).

• Like 1

That's rather nice - and presumably the design also allows for a version with  'Up line' at the bottom and 'down Line' at the top?

Now the $64,000 question - moving needles or LEDs? (I think I can guess the answer but you never know ;) ).

I know the answer, and I was surprised!

• RMweb Gold

I know the answer, and I was surprised!

Ah - so it might indeed be moving needles if it came as a surprise.  Be interesting to see how it's done nowadays compared with the old trick of using an ex-motor vehicle ammeter.   (I could never get that one to work so used real block instruments instead)

Ah - so it might indeed be moving needles if it came as a surprise. Be interesting to see how it's done nowadays compared with the old trick of using an ex-motor vehicle ammeter. (I could never get that one to work so used real block instruments instead)

I'm sure John won't mind me saying, but it's LEDs :(

I saw the 'first off' yesterday, if you look at the pics earlier the holes can be seen.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Be interesting to see how it's done nowadays compared with the old trick of using an ex-motor vehicle ammeter.   (I could never get that one to work so used real block instruments instead)

article1_1.jpg

Linked from: http://www.hornbyguide.com/article_images/article1_1.jpg

http://www.hornbyguide.com

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This whole layout is just awesome and easily surpasses your previous layout (which was equally awesome) that I still consider to be one of the best that RMweb has brought to such a large audience.

I can't wait to see the new one develop further, especially the operating side.

Like the use of laser cut mdf for the block instrument and bells. Your layout is very impressive. Can I where you obtained the brass latch in the last photo as so far I've only managed to find a less robust variety.

Robin

Over centre catches were bought on Ebay Robin, some time ago so can't remember details but I'm sure a search will produce some. They have proved to be very reliable.

Regards John E.

A bit of a change from wiring and trackwork this week

attachicon.gifIMG_0606.jpg

Hi John,

May I ask, how did you draw the signalling box diagram? Was is freehand or perhaps a specific software package? I seem to remember that you did something similar for Bradfield Gloucester Square. 

Thanks

Ian

Hi John,

May I ask, how did you draw the signalling box diagram? Was is freehand or perhaps a specific software package? I seem to remember that you did something similar for Bradfield Gloucester Square. 

Thanks

Ian

Ian, apologies for delay in reply but been away on hols. You are right about doing something similar for Bradfield. I use a 2D drawing program called Autosketch but you could use any, its just that I have been using it for years and am reluctant to go through the pain barrier of learning something new. I print out on A3 photo paper.

Regards John E.

• 4 weeks later...