Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold

Yes I know what you mean. I'm no expert by any means and still make stilly mistakes, but if your getting frustrated and stuck, ping me a PM with the box file and what your trying to do and I'll help if I can, I've loads of forum entries bookmarked etc, so might be able to point you in the right direction!

Rich

Thanks Rich if I get a spare hour or two over the weekend I'll see if I'm brave enough to click on the Templot icon ;) I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Afternoon All,

Just thought i'd pop in and see how Leeds City was progressing ... any updates John?

Rich

Not a lot to report Rich, just plodding on with constructing the P&C work for the new/replacement junctions on the curve. I have also been doing some more research into the train workings and formations, perhaps I will post some of the results in due course but not sure anyone is that interested.

Regards John E.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

As somebody who wasn't around until 1978, i'd be interested to see some of the formation/workings info you've come up with if you get chance to post it. Personally, I think it all forms part of the story about why we try and recreate the past.  Train sets just run trains round, model railways, in my mind, are the railways that model the real thing in one way shape or form.  

Actually, that's set me thinking, and not wishing to hijack your thread in anyway, but where would train formations/working information be found? I have a few WTTs here going back to the early 1960s for the Scunthorpe area, but I'm keen to find any information on the iron ore workings, steel traffic and other general freight that was around, including the fish trains from Grimsby Docks - can you point me in the right direction at all?

Rich

Not a lot to report Rich, just plodding on with constructing the P&C work for the new/replacement junctions on the curve. I have also been doing some more research into the train workings and formations, perhaps I will post some of the results in due course but not sure anyone is that interested.

Regards John E.

As a Leeds resident, I'd be very interested to see your findings :locomotive:

As I said, plodding on with track building.

post-10660-0-13123700-1466858585_thumb.jpg

This threeway has been on the bench for about a month now and I am glad to see it finished. I had some problems with the adhesive used to stick the crossings down and after a discussion about construction methods with a fellow modeller, I foolishly decided to try ply and rivet construction. Firstly I used the wrong sized rivets so started again. There was a lengthy delay in acquiring correct rivets but having done so realised that the plastic chairs did not fit over them without a lot of filing and fitting, so binned the lot and went back to original method! There must be a lesson in there somewhere. 

Anyway, on with the next batch!!!

post-10660-0-93182000-1466858992_thumb.jpg

This is the junction between North and South sides along with the exit from the South sidings/loco area. The camera is above the canal bridge looking towards the station and yes this has all been built before, about two years ago. Ho hum...

• Like 12

I bet at times you wish you'd kept hold of Gloucester Square but Leeds City is coming along and I'm sure if will all be worth it in the end. I'm certainly looking forward the train movements at Leeds, presently I keep going back to BGS to get my fix, what a superb model that was!

Keep it up John

best regards

Ian

Actually, that's set me thinking, and not wishing to hijack your thread in anyway, but where would train formations/working information be found? I have a few WTTs here going back to the early 1960s for the Scunthorpe area, but I'm keen to find any information on the iron ore workings, steel traffic and other general freight that was around, including the fish trains from Grimsby Docks - can you point me in the right direction at all?

Rich

Rich, freight is not my thing so I can't really help much. I think you are onto the right track with WTTs but you do of course need the freight version for your area. I don't know if there is the equivalent of the passenger marshalling instructions for freight, perhaps someone else may help. Photos are one of the best sources for the type of vehicles in a particular train but be wary of some captions, they are not always accurate. There are a lot of pics on the web but take some finding, one of the best sources I have found is Ebay, people put good scans on there to sell them with a logo across but they are fine for our purpose. There are some useful groups on Yahoo and Facebook. Flickr is good too. WWW.BRDatabase is great for loco details and shed allocations.

Regards John E

• Like 1

The next batch now complete looking a lot better with some rails attached. The troublesome threeway can be seen at the far end where it will sit.

post-10660-0-10679600-1467307075_thumb.jpg

This forms half of a double crossover, the other half is now taped to the bench. There are another two double crossovers to complete and then the double Junction for the Normanton line. One of the double crossovers includes a single slip and a pair of interlaced points. There is also the crossover containing a single slip giving access to the North Sidings, so all in all a few weeks work!! However a bit of a rest for now as Majorca beckons!

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

Holidays, grandparent duties and sitting in the sun drinking beer now over - the Pway gang have returned from their summer recess and made some good progress.

post-10660-0-10092400-1470849352_thumb.jpg

The other half of the double junction now complete. 

This week a slight distraction as we have been laying in the Up Main through Bakewell on the Peak District mainline. However all is not lost as work is also underway on the aforementioned point and single slip from the North Carriage Sidings, Vee crossings fabricated and awaiting fixing down.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Regards John E.

I am, for one, John. I find such details fascinating.

The final piece of the jigsaw for the current batch now complete, the single slip and turnout from the carriage sidings.

post-10660-0-92742400-1471263262_thumb.jpg

next up is the double junction with single slip and interlaced crossover a bit further around the bend....

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

After an emergency call out this morning to a points and signal failure at Booth on the Hope Valley line where a trapped DMU was released, the PW gang have returned to base and completed the latest group of P&Cs for Leeds City Junction.

post-10660-0-66946500-1472316163_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-79305500-1472316167_thumb.jpg

Probably the most complex piece of the junction, now featuring the famous missing crossover. When I first constructed this formation on the original layout it had to be omitted for space reasons, only during subsequent operating did it become apparent how important this was. The crossover permits out and back moves to return right road, as does the slip in the double crossover!

I originally described this as an interlaced turnout which it does look like on the prototype, however having curved it around I realised it was yet another single slip. I have constructed both slips within "switched" diamonds for reliability although not true to prototype.

• Like 16

After an emergency call out this morning to a points and signal failure at Booth on the Hope Valley line where a trapped DMU was released

Pleased to read that the DMU has finally been released from captivity! The new point and crossing work is looking exceedingly good and I can't wait to see it installed at Leeds City Junction.

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to seeing this as I was a regular user of the Thames Clyde to get home to Settle.  From memory both trains were often in Leeds at the same time with all their associated light engine workings with the correct headcodes on the peaks.

Jamie

I see that this thread is still active so I thought you might like a few of Dad's photos. We lived in Ripon in the very early '50s, but these seem to be the only Leeds shots he had.

post-14351-0-36618200-1472770265_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-04154300-1472770266_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-03637500-1472770418_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-61308700-1472770418_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-16199600-1472770441_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-71352900-1472771994_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 12

I see that this thread is still active so I thought you might like a few of Dad's photos. We lived in Ripon in the very early '50s, but these seem to be the only Leeds shots he had.

Phil, many thanks for posting your Dads pictures. Although they are a little earlier than the period I am modelling, they show some excellent details of the station area.

Regards John E.

Wot more pointwork!!

post-10660-0-54618500-1472834979_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-00990100-1472834984_thumb.jpg

This completes the crossover from the previous posting.

Next up is yet another double crossover known as Canal Jct, this is where trains could cross between the North and South stations.

After that it is on to the final junction where the Normanton line sweeps around towards engine shed jct. Then its a case of getting on with laying it all.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Phil, many thanks for posting your Dads pictures. Although they are a little earlier than the period I am modelling, they show some excellent details of the station area.

Regards John E.

I am pleased they were of interest, John. It was Jamie's comment (albeit in 2013) about the Thames - Clyde Expresses simultaneous reversals at City, made me look at Dad's archive, as I had remembered correctly that he had recorded it happening. I don't think I was there although my railway enthusiast's career had already started -----------

post-14351-0-72408500-1472842858.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

The first half of Canal Jct now complete, a couple of MK1s are used to check on clearance as this is the innermost track of the curve and the smallest radius. The coaches are standing on the Down and Up Viaduct lines  that lead to Farnley Jct (towards the camera) and to City South in the opposite direction.

post-10660-0-89927900-1473093844_thumb.jpg

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or just someone with a torch!!

John E

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Just watch it's not a train coming!!! Looking good John, about to start on the road to hand built point work, albeit in 7mm, but if I can get with 25% of your standard I'll be happy!

Keep going :)

Rich

It was n't a train or someone with a torch it really is the end of the tunnel! With just the second half of Canal Jct to complete and then the Jct for the Normanton Line plus a crossover things are looking up. One fly in the ointment though is another trip to Spain next week for Beer and sunshine plus a trip to EM North on Sunday not to mention playing with the big train set on Saturday, it would be nice though to get all the point building done beforehand!! So, the foreman has thrown down the gauntlet and the challenge is on, can the Pway gang rise to it?? With hot weather looming, increased beer rations have been offered as an incentive! Watch this space, the result will be known by Friday....

• Like 3