Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

That scissors is outstanding mate. Very well done. I've built a few slips both single and double in EM and 18.83mm but that is just fantastic.

Regards Lez.Z.

John, you're amazing at seeing the differences, I doubt most would see that check rail, would it have been extended because of the peak locomotives ( CLASS 44/45/46 ) entering service ?

SGJ

Sounds a plausible reason to me in view of the length of those locos and their wheelbase. However I stand ready and willing to be corrected.

And the next!! The North Scissor now complete. 

post-10660-0-69966000-1401901252_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-35920600-1401901248_thumb.jpg

In the second pic I have placed both scissors in their final positions relative to each other. Leeds City Wellington signal box sits in the gap between. From left to right the roads are North Arrival, North Departure, South arrival, South Departure and lead to  P1&2, P3, P4 and P5&Stn sidings respectively.

So what next? I have just had a count up and there are 15 single turnouts, 3 threeway turnouts and one trap point still to make!! This is getting tedious.

• Like 11

Seeing one scissor is amazing but seeing both scissors side by side is simply staggering, take a bow you deserve it.

what is the total length of a scissor end to end as gotta be nearing 3ft I guess ?

So what next? I have just had a count up and there are 15 single turnouts, 3 threeway turnouts and one trap point still to make!! This is getting tedious.

Can't wait to get stuck into sticking down in the morning. How many turnouts can get their timbering done I wonder?

Happy to help

Pete

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Can't wait to see this one on the road especially if the Bradfield Peaks are still on the loco roster. I can see a happy hour or two being lost..... ;)

Cheers.

Sean.

If Ultrascale come up with the conversion sets in time there might be a possibility that at least some of them will be seen at ExpoEM North in September. If not....

The Laird and I had a very productive day preparing components for most of the remaining turnouts, or at least those that are planned to be built before ExpoEM North. I got eleven turnouts worth of crossing timbers glued down onto the Templot printouts. Meanwhile The Laird was fabricating at least as many crossing-vees. So he's got plenty to keep him out of mischief next week!

I can personally vouch for the high quality of the work already completed, in particular the pair of scissors crossovers. The test coach bogie simply glides through with no rocking or rolling. This is exceptional work and will be well worth seeing in September in Manchester.

• Like 2

Well I don't know about "laying track" just yet but thanks to "Leander's" hard work last week fixing down the timbers, I have had a productive week. 

post-10660-0-61092200-1402680931_thumb.jpg

On the right are the turnouts and trap for the station sidings whilst on the left is the turnouts to P1and the Dock plus the threeway and turnouts for the east end of the north carriage sidings.

post-10660-0-21803800-1402680937_thumb.jpg

A closer look at the three way.

post-10660-0-02262100-1402680944_thumb.jpg

The final piece of P&C for now is going to be the west end of the north carriage sidings and the timbers are in place. Once this is complete I shall start to get it all fixed in place, wired up etc hopefully in time for EM North. I had also best think about getting some loco's and stock converted to run on it!! One small distraction, a trip to Majorca is imminent.

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

So, having eaten too much, drank too much and not done too much whilst on hols, time to crack on. The final piece of p&c work for now has been completed and the decks cleared in readiness for track laying!!

post-10660-0-03877300-1403886296_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-82329100-1403886301_thumb.jpg

The West end of the North CS that was started before hols.

post-10660-0-99787100-1403886327_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-98672200-1403886332_thumb.jpg

A couple of overall shots with the pointwork in position, with the end board still missing.

I need to do a bit of work on the boards before track laying can commence i.e. cut out the turntable well, cut out for the slight incline for the tracks in to City South and for the river embankment along the front, then hopefully some rapid progress getting it all stuck down and wired up!

John E.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

"Leander" has given me a prod and reminded me that it has been some time since I posted an update. So whilst some have been watching cricket, tennis and other waste of time pursuits, the Leeds P-Way team have been making a little progress with the track laying.

post-10660-0-99458300-1405182701_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-99019500-1405182706_thumb.jpg

Those of you with superior eyesight may well have noticed that the wood butchery has been completed on these boards and we now have the edge of the embankment to the river Aire along the front plus the incline leading to City South along the rear. The turntable pit has also been cut and temporarily back filled. The rake of blood and custards that are used for testing the pointwork should look familiar being one of Bradfields rakes, interesting to note that the max on Bradfield was five MK1s and here six look quite short!

• Like 14