Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Giving Up Model Railways

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

I'm giving up model railways.

I was going to go into the reasons why but on reading through the long text of what I was going to say, I decided it would be likely to just cause arguments that neither I or the admin team are likely to want to have to deal with.

So, I will just say that over the next few weeks and months* I will be selling off my not insubstantial rolling stock collection, save for a few treasured items. Keep an eye on RMweb Marketplace for things I will be selling. The initial tranch of items will be modern image locos of a mainly 'BR(S) South Western Division 1985-ish' theme, together with limited edition diesels. That will be followed by carriages then wagons of the same period. After those have gone I then bite into the 'BR(S) South Western Division (Bournemouth Area) 1961-ish' theme, again locos then coaches then wagons. There will be a few random purchases to clear at the end.

Once all that can be sold has been sold I imagine there will be a 'rump' of unsaleable items. Those will likely be scrapped. I will then ask for my login to RMweb to be cancelled and I will say goodbye to these shores. I think it will be highly unlikely that I will return, barring some unpredictable change for the better in my life.

*I expect to have the first items up on Marketplace sometime next week. This week I have to test locos and acquire decoder blanking plates for some of them that currently can't be tested.

I'm obviously very sad to hear that, Ian. I would PM you, but maybe that's not one of the avenues you wish to tread either.

Is it a case that, to avoid the speculation, possible awkwardness and general 'noise' surrounding this kind of decision heard in open forum, that you would rather this thread be locked, and those who feel suitably inclined can drop you a PM...?

• RMweb Premium

I had thought about asking for the thread to be locked immediately after posting, but thought that any reasonable questions regarding the actual items I will be selling could be dealt with here for the benefit of all.

I simply won't respond to any replies or PMs regarding the reasons why I'm giving up. If silly speculation starts to show its ugly head then I will certainly look to have the thread locked.

Very sorry to hear this Ian. It's reminded me that I have a shedload of notes sitting here for when I return home to pass onto RE your previous writing thread.

I'll respect your wishes regarding not asking as to the why; but it sounds like you're having a tough time of it, and a problem shared is a problem halved.

Feel free to contact me via www.britishrailwaystories.com, in any event if you want or need a chat. HTH.

Whatever your choice is which has brought you to this decision Ian, I wish you well. You have certainly contributed to this forum and it will be sad to see you go. Things do change in people's lives and in their hobbies. I was absolutely committed to Austrian Railways for many years, but I woke one day thinking there is so much I should be doing nearer home, and which is far more manageable.

Don't burn all your bridges though Ian, because one day you will be back to railway modelling, or at least collecting, inone form or another - it is in your blood !!!

Wish you all the best

Ian,

Although I don't know you, I'm just sorry to hear you say you're giving up model railways :(

There are times when all of us must feel that way

I know a short break from the hobby is often a good plan,

and I would urge you to think along those lines (please pardon the pun)

Personally, I don't know what I'd do without this hobby

It gives me immense satisfaction sometimes,

and it's (usually) a great form of relaxation, and a diversion from other matters in life

Sometimes a good clear-out of unwanted stuff will make you take a 2nd look at what you do have,

and re-motivate you.... I hope this is the case for you

I spent many years out of the hobby, while my son was growing up

I later got divorced, and re-discovering modelling really helped me

I totally agree with the above poster, who says it's in your blood

and I just hope a bit of a rest will re-invigorate your interest

Whatever happens, don't get rid of those "treasured items"

I still have my old triang Blue Pullman (1st train set)

but I really wish I'd never ditched my old locosheds and most of my photos......

All the best, whatever you decide to do

Marc

Hi, Ian.

Like others who've posted in this thread, you and I have never met. And like others, I've also had my share of what life can throw at people. A period of unemployment...lived with an alcoholic who did her level best to try and destroy me...even spent a while homeless and living in my car. Life can get like that, sometimes. Now, I'm settled in another country and married to strikingly Danish blonde. I'm a successful online children's author starting to make some real money. And I'm in the world's greatest hobby at a time of significant and exciting change. It's good. But it wasn't always like this.

Do you see what I'm trying to say here? Life changes. At the worst times, I came to realise that I had a tendency to regard the "now" as the "always" - that I'd always be unemployed, always be homeless, always have to duck when "she" threw another empty wine bottle at me. Breaking that cycle was the first step. I don't know what your situation is right now, you haven't said and I respect that. But whatever it is, don't fall into the trap that I did and (fortunately) escaped from. Things will change. They always do.

Others have offered to chat about things via PM and I'd like to add my name to the list. Don't lightly dismiss this from any of us: you'd be surprised how much simply talking about something can give a whole new perspective on a situation.

You take care.

David

I know you've had some ups and downs over the years Ian but I wish you well. You've been a kind supporter and solid member of the site over the years so you're always welcome to drop by whether you're modelling or not.

Like others, Ian we have never met or spoken, but is very sad to hear of anyone giving up this hobby. I really hope that the sale of your stock goes well and that you might even have a change of heart when you see the support that fellow members have shown to your good self. I for my part have found some many good people within the railway hobby, lifetime friends in fact some of which I only know by their first names but who are always ready to share their knowledge and friendship. Such a rare thing amoungst people these days.

• RMweb Premium

Well that's just typical. I'm after DCC Blanking Plugs (Bachmann, 36-057), so I went into Modelzone in Holborn in London on Sunday and they didn't have them. Now I've just checked online for them and there seem to none around! I've checked Hattons, The Signal Box, Rails of Sheffield, even eBay. None anywhere :(

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has replied, your thoughts are appreciated, though the decision to give up railway modelling still stands.

Very sorry to hear this Ian. It's reminded me that I have a shedload of notes sitting here for when I return home to pass onto RE your previous writing thread.

Those will still be useful, especially as a small part of the background to the decision to give up modelling relates to the issues with my novel writing.

...you're always welcome to drop by whether you're modelling or not.

You might regret that ;) The only thing I'll have to discuss will be my writing and judging by the response to my recent writing thread, that will just vex everyone! :O

May I suggest to keep your RMweb login? Just in case you want to return in the future. It costs you nothing and you're not obliged to participate anyway.

I might, though I can't be sure. I'm certainly not going to have any focus on railway related subjects for the foreseeable future.

Incidentally, did you manage to find a place to live?

Not yet. Hopefully the sales of the model railway stuff will help me have a bit more choice with regards to that.

Hi Ian, was going to look out for you at Warley as usual as it seems to be the annual bump into each other. Hope something comes up to make life better.

Paul

I will miss Warley, as I did last year, but missing it is an inescapable by-product of what I'm having to do in my life at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

OK, the decoder blanking plates are in and all the locos have been tested with just one non-runner. For anyone who's interested, this tranch includes several limited edition diesels (Lion, Falcon, Kestrel, DP1, 14), some class 33/1s in standard blue, some 50s in revised standard and a few 47s of various colours. The non-runner is a Bachmann 08 and it's a non-runner due to me removing the DC wiring to fit a DCC decoder that has since been removed.

Please do NOT use this thread or PM me to try and make offers or arrange deals on these, they go up on the Marketplace on Tuesday and you'll have to go there to bid or buyout alongside anyone else. Pricing will be revealed then. However, if anyone wants any other info about anything I'm selling, feel free to ask here in-thread and I will do my best to answer.

• RMweb Premium

Update.

I forgot that the RMweb Marketplace allows a listing to be created ahead of time. I've put the current batch of listings in for either an 8pm or 9pm start tomorrow, 21st November, 2012.

However, I noted that the Marketplace's clock seems to be on BST (i.e., one hour ahead) so the start time of 8pm will actually be 7pm GMT. This also affects the finish times which are one week ahead, so instead of finishing at 8pm or 9pm by the Marketplace clock, they actually finish at 7pm or 8pm by GMT. If I notice the Marketplace clock change in the meantime then I will update this thread accordingly.

• RMweb Premium

The first items for sale are now active on RMweb Marketplace. I've even had a sale already.

:) for the sale and things getting going

:( for the fact that the sale is having to happen.

But say lavvy, as they say.

• RMweb Premium

Now that Warley's done for this year, I just wanted to remind folks who might have a little bit of cash left over that there are a few 'modern image' items that I'm selling on RMweb Marketplace. Please wander over and have a browse to see if there's anything you might be interested in. My current auctions finish on Wednesday.

RMweb Marketplace

Archived