RMweb

Dapol JNAs (00)

Mattmaz

Hi all,

I have a short rake of 6 Dapol JNA "Falcon" wagons which have been persistently derailing on two corners of my layout (hidden ones, naturally!).

Initially I suspected that the flanges of the wheels were catching the NEM pockets, so I removed the pockets and fitted Kadee Number 5s throughout. Same problem. I then removed part of the underframe bars which looked to be catching the flanges too. Same problem. My next (and probably should have been my first) move was to check the back-to-back measurement. These were all way out, so I adjusted accordingly & set the rake off on another journey with my eyes tightly closed...... Same problem.

I give up.

Now, the corners concerned are fairly tight, but I have never had any issues with other rollings stock, and on a visible yet-to-be-covered corner (tightest on the layout) there are no issues whatsoever.

My gut feeling is to just sell them and be done with it, but I do like the look of the wagon, but if I can't run them then for sale they will go....

All I can think of is that the bogie frame gets a light push from one of the diagonal underframe cross braces, but I am loathed to go chopping more of these wagons apart. hence this post - has anyone else experienced the same frustrating problems with this type of wagon? Or am I just unlucky??.... lol

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Matt

It sounds like any one (or a combination) of:

- back to backs out

- wagons too light

- curves too tight

- buffers clashing

- or couplings too short for the curves

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike, unfortunately none of the above... with the exception of possibly weight - that's something I might try this evening. If it works my rake of empties may become a loaded one ;)

Cheers,

Matt

Try this bizarre fix first.

Pull all of the axles out of the wagons put them all in a bag, give the bag a shake and replace them in any random order.

This worked on the 4 on my mates layout. We only happened on this one due to the axles falling out.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Do they always derail in the same place?

Have you tried one or two wagons on their own?

Have you tried moving the wagons around in the formation?

Although you say it's not the tightest curve, there may be an extra kink in the track?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hello Matt

I had same problem with MRA wagon set and found it was bogie holding screw too tight faiking to allow bogie enough turn round my curve.

Slackened off slightly and running like a dream now.

John

Both the Dapol MRA and JNA are fitted with AxleMotion 3 bogies,however, those fitted to the MRA are screwed on and the JNA's are clipped on.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Matt

I had same problem with MRA wagon set and found it was bogie holding screw too tight faiking to allow bogie enough turn round my curve.

Slackened off slightly and running like a dream now.

John

Agree,had same problem with mine buddy....

Thanks for the replies on this subject. I have tried any number of things now, adding weight, back-to-back measurements etc etc, all of the advise kindly offered. Unfortunately, having found an annoyingly slight kink in the previously hidden section, and rectified the kink, they have now started to derail elsewhere too. I have a lot of other rolling stock, and it's only these JNAs I've had problems with. Ironically they do cope with all of the super elevated curves that are "on scene" lol. What doesn't help with the Dapol wagons too is the seemingly shallower wheel flanges.

Anyhow, I have spent far too long trying to get them running on my layout now. Unfortunately I have ended up "spitting my dummy out" and have offered them for sale on Flea-bay.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,

Cheers,

Matt

Archived