Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly that the glue component in dilute or otherwise PVA is non conductive?

You could be right. All I know is that I get better results with the 'bespoke' glues than ordinary PVA. Don't know why!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm hopefully not too far off from starting some grass on my layout. I've been reading this thread but need to find out what to use for the layering. Being down under we often have to think of something other than products you can get in England. I was thinking of cheap non scented hairspray. Am I anywhere near the mark?

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, peterm1 said:

I'm hopefully not too far off from starting some grass on my layout. I've been reading this thread but need to find out what to use for the layering. Being down under we often have to think of something other than products you can get in England. I was thinking of cheap non scented hairspray. Am I anywhere near the mark?

This guy's YouTube videos might be of use.  He's Australian, so I imagine he has the same access to products as you.

https://www.youtube.com/@LukeTowan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks teaky,

I've looked at his site but can't see anything about a layering substitute. I've heard about people recommending ordinary spray glue for the layering, but that seems a bit aggressive. I've got the proper basing glue and thought I might try thinning that down and spraying it on. It's a shame we can't buy the proper stuff over here.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried typing in Mini Natur UK Supplier into a search engine. I found a few UK shops came up. 

Occasionally their excellent quality scenics is available at shows.

The manufacturer does I understand post direct to the UK. I looked at doing that once but their P and P was rather too expensive. Probably cheaper to send from a German model shop.

Peter

And is response to the earlier questions about layering sprays I also find that Spray Adhesive is just too sticky for this purpose. It swamps the fibres of the existing layer of scenics and too many static grass fibres will stick to it. It will not look realistic.

But I find that unscented extra hold hairspray works really well indeed for second and subsequent layers of static grass fibres. Go steady on the amount of hairspray released onto the tops of the already laid scenics - a little goes a long way.

Enjoy working with static grass fibres!

Peter

• RMweb Gold

If the layout 'never leaves home' hairspray is fine.  I've used it ever since the advent of static grass but to our chagrin when we got 'Balcombe' out after three years of outside insulated shed storage last year, a vast amount of expensive fibres had fallen to the floor. Being a cheapskate, I swept it all up up and seived it for re-use!

If one's layout is portable then I would use Peco or WWS layering sprays which do have a stronger hold, after all hairspray is designed for 'one night'!

Just a thought!

• Like 1

To be honest, I've not read this whole thread. BUT, I thought I'd enter the 21st century and try using static grass on my Shardlow layout, instead of ye olde flock powder/coloured sawdust.

What's the best way to begin? I've looked at various YouTube videos, but am none the wiser.

Is it worth buying a Woodland Scenics starter kit, and taking it from there?

• RMweb Gold

It largely depends on how much you want to pay. I built a pound shop version from an electronic fly swatter and metal tea strainer. A friend with an N gauge layout borrowed it and was perfectly happy with the results that he obtained. Having given it back to me, he built an extension, so bought one of these grass and again was delighted.

He did have a recent problem whereby he left the lid off the static grass, dropped his headlight into it (by accident) and ended up with the whole lot upside down on his carpet! His advice? "Always put the lid back on your static grass."

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 96701 said:

He did have a recent problem whereby he left the lid off the static grass, dropped his headlight into it (by accident) and ended up with the whole lot upside down on his carpet! His advice? "Always put the lid back on your static grass."

Aaah.....I chuckled when I read that! The times that I've left the lid off, turned it over to start flocking and tipped the fibres all over the place and a big clean up/rescue was needed!

I now conciously check that the lid is firmly screwed on before work...mind you that's no guarantee....!😉

Peter, a starter pack would probably be a good idea to get the feel of it all.  It would also depend on how much static work you have to do. If you have a fair bit to do then Phil's recommendation 

https://dmgelectech.co.uk/product/static-grass-applicator/ looks to be a good place to start. 

I have a lot to do, probably 5m² +, so my heavy duty 35 kv machine is most useful.

When I first saw the Woodland Scenics Starter Kit I did not think it would work but after using it a few times it does if you limit yourself to max grass fibres of 4mm.

tea strainer types work ok for the same size of fibres but you do have to be careful that you do not load the bowl too high because as you shake it bundles of grass fibres drop onto the layout.

what scale do you work in? If it up to OO scale these starter kits are ok because once the rule has dried you can add a second and third layer to build up the height.

John,

interesting comments about grass grass falling off. So far that has not happened to me with extra hold hairspray and my projects are stored in a damp garage.

i always just liquid glue for the first layer of fibres then hairspray for any subsequent additional patches or colour variations.

glad to see you reused the fibres that had fallen off. I would do the same!

peter

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, swisspeat said:

what scale do you work in?

Balcombe and Parkend Marsh Sidings are in P4  When they're built (!) Rüthi (SBB) and Lisanno (FS) will be in H0.

Ouse Valley Viaduct

ouse-valley-viaduct-01.jpg.a364de02705d43e54270ea4fc7710c08.jpg

Parkend

20230924_152140.jpg.416d71024797813cd16dc499fd58e8ae.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The problem  with the storage is that we're on the coast with very high salt and moisture in the air and the boards are stood on end....moisture and gravity!

Thanks!

on the viaduct board that is a lot of fibres! :-)

I have recently been playing around with glues for static grass. Surprisingly I found that one of the best is Elmer’s School Glue. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, swisspeat said:

I have recently been playing around with glues for static grass. Surprisingly I found that one of the best is Elmer’s School Glue. 

Peter, I've yet to try 'school glue' but I heard from someone in the business (can't remember who!) that the commercial base glue sold by them is a very sinilar consistency to 'school glue' and not PVA. Apparently PVA is rubber based and proprietary basing glues are polymer based. Quite what the effective difference is, I don't know, but in my experience  the proprietary stuff works better for me. Much as the difference between hairspray and layering spray! 

Yes, there is rather a lot of grass so a large quantity of fibres required! The picture shows about 20% that is needed! I'll look into trying some 'school glue' which is probably much cheaper than the commercial stuff.

Regarding Elmers...

Last week I did a test of PVA, Noch Grass Glue, Mod Podge, Static Tac and Elmers School Glue.

I used identical fibres etc. I used a Static King on mains power.

I did the test because I had seen US You Tube clips suggesting Mod Podge was the best for planting grass fibres and I wanted to see if that was correct compared to formulated grass glues. My test proved by far that Elmers planted more fibres than any of the others which was a big surprise!

IMG_5022.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just run out of my WWS layering spray. And it's  £12 to £14 for a replacement.

Lots of talk on here about using hairspray instead. So whats the best hairspray to look for? I guess "extra hold" sounds good, but a lot of these boast " no stickiness" which seems the opposite of what we need.

I'm tempted to go into B&M and just buy the cheapest, which I guess will be sticky....

Any suggestions?