RMweb

Wright writes.....

Having worked in French West Africa for twenty years and therefore been saturated with the French way of doing things, and now living between England and France since retirement I appreciate that there are major differences between the Britsh way and the French way of interpreting EU directives.

To give an example, I try to have duplicate tool kits in each country. The modern Stanley Knife variant with snap off multiple blades is available in both countries, but the British variant has an add on safety screw lock which inevitably breaks off due to it being an after thought modification. As a result I smuggled a French one into Britain a year ago. According to Brittany ferries it is now forbidden to carry a knife with you from the UK to France, but my contraband was innocently conveyed in the opposite direction before I knew that. How do Boy Scouts manage these days?

The shipment of everyday modeling sundries like Butanone, solder flux, white metal kits, etc. Is getting more and more difficult by mail and by air, but it always seems to be the British end that maintains the restrictions. I had to explain a brass HO Balboa GS4 Daylight to a security expert at St Pancras a few years ago and thought I might have to actually demonstrate it as a working model. Still caught my train, just. Had to carefully repack the model first.

I did have one amusing encounter with the French Douanes in Calais a few years ago. I was pulled over and asked if I was carrying any wine to the UK. Yes, I replied, about ten cartons. The customs official gave me a broad grin and replied "Good, go on through!"

Vive La France!

Edited to correct Boy Scours to Boy Scouts

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know where this lunacy about knives on ferries has come from, we have been asked this question (only in England) when travelling with the car on its own - but not when towing the caravan which of course has a fully fitted kitchen with the usual complement of sharp knives in it. We've not been asked this in France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden....

I don't know where this lunacy about knives on ferries has come from, we have been asked this question (only in England) when travelling with the car on its own

Yep, we got asked if we had "any knives including cutlery" when recently catching a ferry to France. It seems to be a new rule as we've never been asked that before. Presumably if we haven't answered "no" any would have been converscated. The cafe on the boat had a whole canteen of cutlery that was available to passengers.

G.

I did have one amusing encounter with the French Douanes in Calais a few years ago.

Re: shipping items across "La Manche", when I returned to England from living with my parents in France (c. 1983/4), UK customs stopped me while I was carrying quantities of 4mm track building supplies. The officer was very concerned about my pointwork timbers, he thought they may have been for building fireworks with!!!

Thankfully my coherent explanation of what they were and how they were used, along with my amounts of additional railway modelling "evidence", convinced him of my innocence!

What was odd was that these items had all been shipped from EMGS stores in England!

Cheers,

John E.

Were the enamel and the satin varnish both Humbrol.? (Just asking as I was about to buy some).

My condolences by the way.

Yes they were all humbrol, in future im going to stick with phoenix as their paint in a better quality. Either that or halfords carmpaints which in a spray can are cheaper together with matching primers ofcourse.

Gary

Re: shipping items across "La Manche", when I returned to England from living with my parents in France (c. 1983/4), UK customs stopped me while I was carrying quantities of 4mm track building supplies. The officer was very concerned about my pointwork timbers....

Was the frog mentioned......

I must say a big thank you to Tony and Mo for their contribution to a wonderful weekend. Meeting up with all our guest modellers, people of great character who produce work of rare quality, is a tremendous thrill. Thanks to you all, it was a very well received little show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do agree about the remarkable buildings. I first thought that they were the work of someone in their 50's or 60's with a great deal of experience in modelmaking. They are astonishingly good.

With regards,

Market65.

I do agree about the remarkable buildings. I first thought that they were the work of someone in their 50's or 60's with a great deal of experience in modelmaking. They are astonishingly good.

With regards,

Market65.

I agree.

And where do you still find computer 'chads'??

All power and recognition to young Scott, I am most impressed. He has put into practice what many of us think but don't do.

Paul,

He is a remarkable young man. He reminds me of a schoolboy from a long-gone age, where the wish to make models is paramount. Not just that, but observations of prototypes from around the country to be recreated in miniature. He exudes self-confidence, yet is remarkably modest, considering his achievements. I encountered a few like him in my teaching days - lads who went on to scratch-build locos with a little assistance from me. But, that was many years ago - I can't imagine it now in a current comprehensive school.  

Talking to him, I was reminded of what this hobby should really be about in my view - the wish to personally create things - actually make things yourself - be self-reliant and experimental, and not moan when something isn't quite right, is thought to be too expensive or isn't available immediately. Many of us 'older modellers', myself included, should learn a lot from the likes of him. 

If there were more like him, then the hobby's future would be very assured. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

To carry on the theme of accomplished younger modellers, Adam Wareham arrived with his dad today (his dad's the one behind the forthcoming Heljan O2) and took some video footage on Little Bytham. He says he'll put it on here - such abilities are way, way beyond me! 

• Like 3

A request for some assistance, please. 

I've been asked to write up some captions for pictures for BRILL showing the RCTS Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Rail Tour on the 29th April, 1967. I was on the tour itself, and took several pictures, but I cannot remember the actual itinerary. I know we started from Crewe behind 9F 92058, thence to Sandbach and on to Northwhich to join the CLC. From there it was to Mouldsworth and probably then via West Cheshire Junction to Hooton where Stanier 2-6-4Ts 42616 and 42647 took over to take us all over the place. Stanier 8F 48697 took us to Ruabon, Llangollen and Wrexham. Brymbo was also visited, as well as Mold and beyond. The 9F took over again at Neston (I think) and the train returned to Crewe by way of Chester (Liverpool Road) and back along the CLC. 

If someone can provide the actual sequence of events, or direct me to a suitable source, I would be very appreciative. And, just to prove that this thread (and lots of others on RMweb) is of great use to me, the current issue of British Railways Illustrated is just out where the help of Eric Kidd, Mike Romans, Clive Mortimer and another guy whose real name I don't know is acknowledged for their help in expanding captions for the Edinburgh Waverley pictures therein. Eric, in particular for your local knowledge, my greatest thanks. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Tony

Your comment about children in Comprehensive schools of today may be true but I have to say that children in the private sector appear to be just as disinterested in anything like building models. I don't think the system is to blame, more the current consumer age that children find themselves living in. Fortunately there will always be a few that break the mould and do their own thing.

I've been asked to write up some captions for pictures for BRILL showing the RCTS Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Rail Tour on the 29th April, 1967. I was on the tour itself, and took several pictures, but I cannot remember the actual itinerary. I know we started from Crewe behind 9F 92058, thence to Sandbach and on to Northwhich to join the CLC. From there it was to Mouldsworth and probably then via West Cheshire Junction to Hooton where Stanier 2-6-4Ts 42616 and 42647 took over to take us all over the place. Stanier 8F 48697 took us to Ruabon, Llangollen and Wrexham. Brymbo was also visited, as well as Mold and beyond. The 9F took over again at Neston (I think) and the train returned to Crewe by way of Chester (Liverpool Road) and back along the CLC. 

If someone can provide the actual sequence of events, or direct me to a suitable source, I would be very appreciative. And, just to prove that this thread (and lots of others on RMweb) is of great use to me, the current issue of British Railways Illustrated is just out where the help of Eric Kidd, Mike Romans, Clive Mortimer and another guy whose real name I don't know is acknowledged for their help in expanding captions for the Edinburgh Waverley pictures therein. Eric, in particular for your local knowledge, my greatest thanks. 

Tony, there is a report in the Railway Observer for July 1967, too lengthy to quote here.  I will happily scan it for you.

Chris

I've been asked to write up some captions for pictures for BRILL showing the RCTS Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Rail Tour on the 29th April, 1967. 

A B&R Video covers this railtour. I rather suspect it is Vol.144 Steam in Wales & the borders (Part 1). It looked to be rather a complicated itinerary with reversals all over the place particularly around Wrexham in order to cover all the lines.

Edited by coachmann

Tony

Your comment about children in Comprehensive schools of today may be true but I have to say that children in the private sector appear to be just as disinterested in anything like building models. I don't think the system is to blame, more the current consumer age that children find themselves living in. Fortunately there will always be a few that break the mould and do their own thing.

Paul,

I think you're very right. 

I know when I was a kid just starting senior school (1958), along with innumerable others, I had a paper round. Each week, part of that paper round stipend was spent on an Airfix kit for a plane, wagon, ship, tank, building, etc, etc. They were two bob if my memory serves and the paper shop proprietor had them on a kind of rotary stand with hooks poking through the holes in the polythene bag/card packaging (not far from the naughty books!). He thus recovered his money very rapidly. Occasionally, I'd wait a week or two and save a little more to buy an Airfix kit in a box (which usually meant a larger kit, though the two-bob wagons came in boxes as well I believe). My younger brother also had a round and he did the same. Just about all the other paper round boys did likewise. No doubt to the proprietor was slightly miffed if we walked a few yards down Garden Lane (in Chester) to Mr Trickett's emporium to buy the newly-emerging Kitmaster range. The cheapest of these was four and six, over twice the cost of an equivalent Airfix kit (the two respective diesel shunters for instance), but they added to the (static) roster on our layout's shed. Mr Trickett also sold the burgeoning Superquick range of cardboard buildings.

Thus, we must have built hundreds of kits, getting glue fingerprints on what should have been pristine surfaces, completely fogging any aeroplane's canopies, tried our hand at painting, investigated the vagaries of applying transfers and learned an incredible amount at the same time - just what was a direction-finder, engine nasel (is that the right spelling?), forecastle, cupola, etc, etc? Our hours were spent in (relative) contentment (I did get a bit cross with a Kitmaster Prairie after I glued all the motion solid) and there was a genuine, created end-product. Hours not spent in making things were used for trainspotting or endless games of cricket/football on the Roodee (where trainspotting could also take place - at least on the WR lines out of Chester). All in all then, those heady days were a great foundation for me in my subsequent graduation into 'serious' railway modelling, eventually making it my career. 

What's my point? Well, I doubt if many paper shops sell Airfix kits any more, and if they did, if there are still paper boys (and girls), would they still buy them? Certainly, anyone playing games on the Roodee today (or its equivalent) would not waste a glance on what travels on the railway out of Chester. Do countless urchins still play unsupervised sports any more anyway? Sport aside, with no 'incentive' to build models, why bother? I say incentive, because one could actually see at first hand many of the real things one made models of, particularly the railway ones. There was thus a two-way situation all the time - stimulating, exciting and life-affirming. That so many others of my generation are the current core of railway modellers speaks volumes for those days. 

Today's kids would no doubt be horrified if transported back to do the things we did. In a way, who'd blame them? At a restaurant recently, it seemed my wife and I were the only ones actually speaking to each other, everyone else seemed just glued to their phones or tablets, and not just the young to be fair. Take away such devices and what will folk do? If there is no market for a product/activity, it'll disappear, as the making of things has disappeared amongst the majority of the young. There are glimmers of light - Scott being a great example. Recently, I've had younger members of the Spalding MRC over to run Little Bytham. Their enthusiasm is infectious and their willingness to learn laudable. But, they are in a minority, especially amongst clubs. 

To sum up (may I?), over 50 years ago the majority of boys made things - they just did. Not necessarily all that well, but they learnt. A proportion of that number has either carried on with railway modelling throughout their lives or has returned to it in recent years. What proportion, I don't know, but even if it's small as a percentage, it's still a very large number - large enough to be driving the hobby today in my view. Later generations have seen fewer and fewer participants, to the ever-dwindling few 'up and comers' today. Anyway, in a further 50 years, who'll care?

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

Hi Tony,

I have a fairly decent 'paper shop' near me and I'm pretty sure they have boys and girls with paper rounds!

Sadly there's no opportunity for them to spend their wages on Airfix kits but partly thanks to me, they do stock a range of railway magazines.

I can only guess their wages go on computer games or fashionable clothes or footwear as that's what my now 18 year old nephews were into a few years ago.

Incredible or what?

When I was that age, I wouldn't have had a clue or interest in "fashion", I guess it shows how we as a nation, have sleepwalked into being just consumers.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to say a big thank you to all at Scarborough & District MRC for putting on such a splendid show at the weekend in Pickering and for the marvellous hospitality shown to my wife and me. My most grateful thanks, too, for all those many wonderful folk I spoke to during the show. 

attachicon.gifSalmon Pastures 02.jpg

The new Grantham-destined Klondike behaved impeccably as a guest on Salmon Pastures (thanks guys for giving her a run). However, I've since found out that the rear framing is wrong for this particular loco - it should be the later style. Still, it's best to admit it and I'll ponder what to do. 

attachicon.gifScott Waterfield 01.jpg

attachicon.gifScott Waterfield 02.jpg

attachicon.gifScott Waterfield 03.jpg

attachicon.gifScott Waterfield 04.jpg

Believe it or not, the three models above were built by a 12 year old, Scott Waterfield. His grandad is Bob Dawson, so there's definitely a pedigree, but this is all his own work. 

attachicon.gifWansweck Road 003.jpg

Mick Simpson's delightful Wansbeck Road was also on display. This is 2mm Finescale modelling of the highest order.

attachicon.gifWords End 02.jpg

attachicon.gifWords End 04.jpg

Speaking of work of the highest order, what about Pete Goss' latest masterpiece, World's End? Have you ever seen modelling better than this in any scale?

World's End looks fantastic. Does it include a model of David Jenkinson's garden railway?