Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Many thanks,

My paternal family lived in both Anstons (a few still survive there) and I'll bet it was either CLUMBER or GAYTON HALL which you saw on the boat train. 'Scrap it' was the call at Kiveton Park or Retford as 61620 or 61641 went by time after time (I saw no other B17 on the North Country Continental). When the Brits took over it was better inasmuch as the diagrams were changed and it was a different one each day.

As you say, be careful what you wish for! 

I regret, now, that I didn't keep a proper record of what railway traffic I saw in those days. Having read HG Wells I knew that someday we'd be able to transmit and receive text and pictures through the aether and so create an omniscient "World Brain", but who foresaw anything as wonderful as RMweb?

One of the few mental images I do retain is of a B1 (Dibatag?) high-stepping through Woodhouse on the boat train; of course this could have been an exception, or simply the confusion of clapped-out liveware.

• Like 2

But, I still like to think I can nail a loco together...............

attachicon.gifDJH Klondike 24.jpg

Locos like this DJH Klondike, which is destined to run on your Grantham at the Grantham show next month. Geoff Haynes painted and weathered it for me and I'm very pleased with her.  

O WOW :yahoo:  Looks gorgeous.

Looking forward to seeing her on Grantham. Plenty of work for her - there's four booked Atlantic turns off Grantham shed each time through the schedule!

• Like 3

The subtlety of the fine red lining on that Klondike is incredible. It makes my best efforts with a bow pen look oafish. Even HMRS lining is heavy by comparison. Mr Haynes is clearly a master of his art.

"More sensitive" tutors at Missenden? Could that be a telling comment on the ridiculous political correctness in many quarters these days. I'm sure it has never done me any harm in the past to be told by others that I'm not doing things the right way or not making a good job of it, but these days there seems to be a requirement only to give praise - even where none is really due. 

• Like 2

The subtlety of the fine red lining on that Klondike is incredible. It makes my best efforts with a bow pen look oafish. Even HMRS lining is heavy by comparison. Mr Haynes is clearly a master of his art.

"More sensitive" tutors at Missenden? Could that be a telling comment on the ridiculous political correctness in many quarters these days. I'm sure it has never done me any harm in the past to be told by others that I'm not doing things the right way or not making a good job of it, but these days there seems to be a requirement only to give praise - even where none is really due. 

I take the latter point, but nothing should take away from the excellence of Missenden's tutors. It's just that I had a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a b****er! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Bit OT but I've just been reading some comments about guitar course residential sessions, some of which I have attendfed in the past and although very good indeed in the case of my sessions, really didn't turn me into Eric Clapton. Let's just say the age range is from about late 20s to those that should know better.

Anyway, one chap on this discussion thread was furiuous that several 'mature' and experienced players on his latest course seemed not to understand that they should not really noodle, that is to actually keep making a sort of off stage noise on their instruments, whilst the Tutor was talking. Understandable. There was discussion with 'suggestions' as to what should happen with these people. In my opinion, however good one might be, it is just bad manners and hugely disrespectful to do this sort of thing when the Tutor is doing their thing, even if the Tutor really should have stopped this before it started. Easy really, it would be announced in the ground rules on the first day along with "have fun, but not at others' expense", fire drill, comfort break etc.

However, one comment came from someone who said........ "he didn't want to be treated like a school kid having paid £400 for the course".............

Well b*ll*cks to him is my childish response and I would have told him where to *shove his machine head if he had done that on one of my courses.

I just can not get my head around how rude some supposedly mature people can be these days and because they have paid they can more or less do what they want and s*d everyone else.

I hope Tony just remains a guest at such things as Missenden so that he doesn't have to put up with these ****s. 

Alternatively, I'll run a course with Tony as Tutor and apply the above punishment*, but with some sort of modelling equipment if the need arose.

Good morning,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

Isn't it interesting how things develop?

Perhaps I should resist from making 'throw-away' comments, whatever the subject.

For a decade I was one of the tutors at Missenden Abbey, teaching a regular band of splendid folk anything from techniques in model railway photography to 'simple' loco and rolling stock construction. In that time I made some marvellous friends and we had a great time, particularly with regard to banter. Whilst other, far more capable tutors, did a most wonderful job, I just muddled through, usually by 'insulting' many of my charges (in jest, I hasten to add). I use to state that if I were any good at teaching and they any good at learning, after just a couple of weekends there would be no need for them to return.

I also used to do the same sort of thing at Phil Atkinson's Hobby Holidays, at countless seminars, demonstrations, lectures, presentations, exhibitions and what you will. It was all great fun, with mutual banter being essential. Attendees at some of my after-dinner speeches might recall how 'unkind' I was to certain groups. 

Above all else, though, even after my puerile attempts at humour, what I always hoped to achieve was to ensure that folk actually made something - maybe with a little assistance but by themselves and for themselves. As I've said many times, nothing in railway modelling can beat being able to say 'I made that!' Those who are critical of the work of others when all they've done is to pay experts to do things for them or just open boxes, should consider their position more in my view.  

• Like 8

Bit OT but I've just been reading some comments about guitar course residential sessions, some of which I have attendfed in the past and although very good indeed in the case of my sessions, really didn't turn me into Eric Clapton. Let's just say the age range is from about late 20s to those that should know better.

Anyway, one chap on this discussion thread was furiuous that several 'mature' and experienced players on his latest course seemed not to understand that they should not really noodle, that is to actually keep making a sort of off stage noise on their instruments, whilst the Tutor was talking. Understandable. There was discussion with 'suggestions' as to what should happen with these people. In my opinion, however good one might be, it is just bad manners and hugely disrespectful to do this sort of thing when the Tutor is doing their thing, even if the Tutor really should have stopped this before it started. Easy really, it would be announced in the ground rules on the first day along with "have fun, but not at others' expense", fire drill, comfort break etc.

However, one comment came from someone who said........ "he didn't want to be treated like a school kid having paid £400 for the course".............

Well b*ll*cks to him is my childish response and I would have told him where to *shove his machine head if he had done that on one of my courses.

I just can not get my head around how rude some supposedly mature people can be these days and because they have paid they can more or less do what they want and s*d everyone else.

I hope Tony just remains a guest at such things as Missenden so that he doesn't have to put up with these ****s. 

Alternatively, I'll run a course with Tony as Tutor and apply the above punishment*, but with some sort of modelling equipment if the need arose.

Good morning,

Phil

Part of my job(s) is to organise workshops led by professional musicians of high national and international standing, often securing the funding to make them happen, I also teach on some. No one I've worked with over nearly 30 years would put up with the behaviour you describe.

As a general rule guitarists are asked to put their instruments down whilst a tutor is talking as 'fiddling' is a well known issue. They know where the door is!

No one will get much out of any workshop with the attitude you describe whatever the subject or skill being learnt and it's unfair on the others who have also paid to be there.

Sorry for the hijack.

• Like 1

I once had a student who turned up for a session in slippers, pyjamas and clutching his bowl of cereal which he proceeded to eat during the class.  

He was rather eccentric, and now runs his own company where I've no doubt he carries out Director duties in the same, casual manner.

I do come down hard on people talking, or texting etc.  The former as they make it difficult for others to follow what's going on, and the latter because if you're stupid enough to pay money to attend class and not pay attention, then you're too stupid for me to teach so out  the door you go, and you'll thank me later for saving you money.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to drag folk up the above road. It was just a bit of a rant about the lack of understanding of conventions that seems to be common these days.

Our Vicar had to ask (quietly) someone to leave our Church a few weeks back as they lit up a fag during a baptism! They would be welcome back he told them, when they had finished. 

Smoking those bl**dy electric fag things is going to have to be sorted at exhibitions as well..................and that was exhibitors!

Tony mentioned Hobby Hols workshops; best bl**dy laughs I've had for years. Sad that Phil has stopped them. 

Right, I'm going! 

Phil

• Like 1

Speaking of folk doing things for themselves, the splendid Mr and Mrs King came over today for a visit. Mr King brought this J6, the first of his resin masterpieces depicting the type. I'm told that there's another on the way and more will have bred by Grantham............................

post-18225-0-55585400-1439836930_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Sorry to drag folk up the above road. It was just a bit of a rant about the lack of understanding of conventions that seems to be common these days.

Our Vicar had to ask (quietly) someone to leave our Church a few weeks back as they lit up a fag during a baptism! They would be welcome back he told them, when they had finished. 

Smoking those bl**dy electric fag things is going to have to be sorted at exhibitions as well..................and that was exhibitors!

Tony mentioned Hobby Hols workshops; best bl**dy laughs I've had for years. Sad that Phil has stopped them. 

Right, I'm going! 

Phil

I think Phil's going to do some more. I believe there's one in October and he's asked me to consider some dates for next year.

• RMweb Premium

Right, I'm going! 

Phil

Hi Phil

Pope Urban VII (who was only Pope for 12 days) was the one who first banned smoking in church. Not for the health reasons but because the striking of the flints to light the pipes meant the congregation was not able to hear and follow the sermon. Bit like your guitar players fiddling about.

Every day is a school day

Users of these presumably think that they are not a health hazard to "secondary smokers", but those with arterial constriction problems are endangered by nicotine fumes. I'd be glad to see those things banned in public places.

Edit: sloppy typing>

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Pope Urban VII (who was only Pope for 12 days) was the one who first banned smoking in church. Not for the health reasons but because the striking of the flints to light the pipes meant the congregation was not able to hear and follow the sermon. Bit like your guitar players fiddling about.

Every day is a school day

Was that why he was only Pope for 12 days?

• RMweb Premium

I think Phil's going to do some more. I believe there's one in October and he's asked me to consider some dates for next year.

Well that's Brilliant news. I'd go but I think I must have upset him as ne never contacts me now.............................................

Hope to see you there then Tony.

P

Many thanks to Tony and Mo for hospitality at Little B yesterday. I apologise for lack of comment last night as I was struggling to stay awake by the time Mrs K and I were home.

I even managed to temporarily forget about one particular motorist-rip-off camera on the journey back, in one of those "designed to appease the anti-motoring lobby for no real safety gain" 50mph limits on a perfectly good dual carriageway, despite being very familiar with its location. I hope it wasn't active!

I'm still enjoying a sense of relief regarding the running of the J6. Nothing was certain prior to the big moment. I'll see about some further pictures and captions shortly, either here or over on the Streamliner Years.

3.20pm: Images now added at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58826-grantham-the-streamliner-years/?p=1989001

Other details, if you have the time and strength to wade through it all, at http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=3960

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

I even managed to temporarily forget about one particular motorist-rip-off camera on the journey back, in one of those "designed to appease the anti-motoring lobby for no real safety gain" 50mph limits on a perfectly good dual carriageway, despite being very familiar with its location. I hope it wasn't active!

That one's had me too - many years ago. Did it flash - or has it now been replaced by one of those infra-red tax collectors?

I would have thought that the revenue from those four cameras would have paid for a bypass of that location, if it's really such a hazard as to warrant a 50mph limit !!

In fact, one could argue gross neglect of duty by the Highways Agency in not remedying a known hazard after such a long period !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Personally I'd rather the cameras were hidden. If you've a problem with inappropriate speed limits, write to your MP or get a petition signed. Assuming you know better and going whatever speed you feel is right ought to get you a fine whether you know there's a camera there or not!!

Personally I'd rather the cameras were hidden. If you've a problem with inappropriate speed limits, write to your MP or get a petition signed. Assuming you know better and going whatever speed you feel is right ought to get you a fine whether you know there's a camera there or not!!

Ah - a halo-polisher.

The trouble with this location - Elkesley, A1 - is that there is a couple of miles of 50mph limit that interrupts a great many miles of 70mph limit; and there is no obvious change in the character of the road.

Having been careful to observe the 70mph limit for several hours, a momentary loss of awareness of one's exact location, or a distracting comment from a passenger, can catch anyone out, no matter how law-abiding.

I trust that you never have cause to regret your declaration of infallibility !! I seriously doubt whether you will have the courage to declare the fact here, if you do.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5