Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

It could well be a most apposite thing that the Woodhead electric names perpetuated those carried by much earlier locomotives - railway history is full of such instances. But, I think Tony Gee is dead right in his conclusion with the regard to the naming of a Class 47 - it was after the man, not a previous loco.

In the case of the 86s, we get some real puzzles as to origins. Take 86223 HECTOR for instance. A name carried by EM1 26048, MS&LR No. 34, a GWR broad gauge loco and L&NWR 2-4-0 classes G and N. Surely all of those were named after the Trojan warrior slain by Achilles? Or, could it be, as you suggest, that the EM1 was named after No.34 and, also (is this possible?) that the 86 was named after an arcane L&NWR 2-4-0? Still with the 86s, I think it's a fair bet that those named after cities were just that - not named after previous Princess Coronations that were named after cities.

I suppose the greatest puzzle as to its origin could be Class 47 47090 VULCAN. Was it named after the Roman god of fire, or after WD 90732 (which was named after the Vulcan Foundry), or after Britannia 70024, or after a GWR broad gauge loco, or after a GWR Duke Class No. 3318, or after an LMS Scot No. 6133, or L&NWR G and N Classes (were these the same because they both carried the same number, 275?), or L&SWR No. 115, or, finally, MS&LR No. 33? 

I think it's definitely safe to say that in the case of the likes of the Warships, most of these were named after ships named after other subjects. including Biblical, Greek and Roman mythology. But, many of these names had been carried by other locos previously. The same was true for some of the Jubilees and the later Class 50s. 

Little did I realise that a simple point, and that still holds true that none of the Woodhead electrics was named after Greek Gods or Goddesses (neither, then, were the earlier locos), could grow into such a discussion. Is that what the interweb is all about?

Does this mean that 26054 was named after the well known co-star of various Disney films? :jester:

Edit, just remembered that 45 106 also carried the name Vulcan in it's Tinsley days. Remembering the plane or something to do with a Trekkie?

Edited by great central

Precisely my reason for not liking compensated or sprung mechanisms in my locos! If one axle can go up and down relative to the next, the rod length changes, so you need extra big holes in your crankpins.

Tony,

the effective change in length is so small that the running tolerances in the bearings, etc. take care of it.

Jol

Of course if you really want to investigate this kind of motion, you really need to start with <Lissajous curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia>

I remember seeing in the 1960s an oscilloscope display of the motion of parts of a Ford car engine which introduced me to this topic.

Stan

Because the angle of the connecting rod is changing constantly, the piston does not exhibit pure simple harmonic motion so the plot is not a sine wave but only an approximation. The longer the connecting rod, the closer the approximation becomes.

Edited by Stanley Melrose

Because the angle of the connecting rod is changing constantly, the piston does not exhibit pure simple harmonic motion so the plot is not a sine wave but only an approximation. The longer the connecting rod, the closer the approximation becomes.

But does it matter in the operation of a "steam engine"?

Is the effect so small as to be irrelevant?

Do the other design and construction benefits of longer/shorter connecting rods, inclined cylinders, etc. have more influence in the maintenance and efficiency of a locomotive?

• RMweb Premium

No.

Yes.

Do the other design and construction benefits of longer/shorter connecting rods, inclined cylinders, etc. have more influence in the maintenance and efficiency of a locomotive?

Yes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the name Vulcan on 47090 ( previously 1676, nee D1676) was a simple matter - former GWR engine name applied in 1965 to a WR allocated loco at a WR depot.  It was one of several GWR associated or historical names including, contemporaneously, such examples as  'North Star',  'George Jackson Churchward', and 'Isambard Kingdom Brunel'.

Have I split an infinitive?

No, because there was no infinitive in your sentence.

St Enodoc is correct: adverbs of manner such as "firmly" usually go in 'end position' ie at the end of the clause.  In the case of your sentence, there is also an adverbial phrase of position ("round the ear") which also usually goes in end position.  Since both the adverb and the adverbial phrase must appear in end position, the adverb of manner should appear before the adverbial phrase of location, following the 'manner-place-frequency-time-reason' ordering rule.

• Like 1

If they were named after other locos, which you might well be right about, it shows remarkable foresight by George Dow. In 1948 the EM1s were (with one exception) still three years away from existence, and the EM2s were six years into the future. Furthermore (other than TOMMY) it was over a decade before the names were applied. I know the BR naming committee met on many occasions in 1948 to decide on the names for the likes of the A1s and the Britannias, but it didn't take over a decade for those names to be applied. Was George Dow still responsible for such things then on BR, in 1959/60? 

The full story is that G. Dow suggested that the recently ordered locos should be named in the first formal meeting of the BR naming Committee in October 1949, but it was turned down. The suggestion was brought up again when Dow was chairman of a meeting, in April 1954, to discuss arrangements for the opening ceremony of the new Woodhead tunnel. Again the suggestion was rejected by higher authority. Finally after transfer of the MSW electric stock from ER to LMR jurisdiction it was agreed in July 1958 that twelve EM1s with boilers and the EM2s should be named. Dow's original list was received except that substitutes (Archimedes and Stentor) had to be found for Hercules and Jupiter since these names had been use on new Warship class locos.

It seems likely that Crewe's list of 'Suitable Names for Locomotives' was more extensive than Doncaster's.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

10/10

We'll now wait for the argumentative one at the back of the class to say something :jester:

Edited by LNWRmodeller

A Tinsley engine carrying the name Vulcan could have something to do with the fact that a statue of Vulcan (some old naked Roman blacksmith apparently) adorns the Sheffield Town Hall and appears on many things associated with the city.

Or not ...

(edit tripos)

Edited by HeeleyBridge

• RMweb Premium

No, because there was no infinitive in your sentence.

St Enodoc is correct: adverbs of manner such as "firmly" usually go in 'end position' ie at the end of the clause.  In the case of your sentence, there is also an adverbial phrase of position ("round the ear") which also usually goes in end position.  Since both the adverb and the adverbial phrase must appear in end position, the adverb of manner should appear before the adverbial phrase of location, following the 'manner-place-frequency-time-reason' ordering rule.

I apologise but I have lost the will to continue. I really can not post anything else as I will be excluded for not being able to write proper.

P

• Like 1

This thread is really amazing at times. How fortunate we are to have such erudite and learned folk happy to dispense their wisdom. Thank you. Now to get back to trains, there have been some really amazing pictures recently of some equally amazing models. What sets them apart is the sheer detail and the finish which gives the real "used" look and is very difficult to achieve. All this in such small scales too. Clearly modelling is not dead. Please keep them coming chaps as they brighten up the dark winter days when the shed seems uninviting and cold.

What you have collectively shown is that it is possible to replicate the mighty steam locomotive in miniature form. 

Martin Long

Here's a model project in progress (trying desperately to get the thread back on track and knowing how much 'sir' likes us to do show n tell...)

post-16151-0-99986300-1450372243_thumb.jpg

I'm replicating in model form what the erstwhile GNR did back in the day, namely rebuild their D4 4-4-0's into D3's. Main work here is to extend the smokebox and add cut down fittings (chimney, dome).

I've decided to live with the more-noisy-than-I'd-like motor/gearbox Tony. I unsoldered it all to adjust and think I managed to quieten it down a bit.

• Like 8

Yes, it does. It won't have much effect if any on the efficiency and power output, but the higher frequencies produced by the overtones of the fundamental frequency (the wheel's rotational frequency) produce vibrations that can lead to interesting things like cylinder bolts loosening and crosshead pins falling off.

Here's a model project in progress (trying desperately to get the thread back on track and knowing how much 'sir' likes us to do show n tell...)

attachicon.gifIMG_5744.JPG

I'm replicating in model form what the erstwhile GNR did back in the day, namely rebuild their D4 4-4-0's into D3's. Main work here is to extend the smokebox and add cut down fittings (chimney, dome).

I've decided to live with the more-noisy-than-I'd-like motor/gearbox Tony. I unsoldered it all to adjust and think I managed to quieten it down a bit.

Looking good, but I hope you're going to change those twelve-spoke bogie wheels to ones with ten spokes. 

... .       

Where will it all end?  Next thing we know some expert will be telling us that "GWR" doesn't stand for "Gresley Was Right" after all.

After the successsful conclusion of the 1925's loco.-exchanges we know that 'Gresley Was Right.' to accept and to apply the major lessons to be learnt from 'Caldicott & from Pendennis Castles.'.

:locomotive:

Yes, it does. It won't have much effect if any on the efficiency and power output, but the higher frequencies produced by the overtones of the fundamental frequency (the wheel's rotational frequency) produce vibrations that can lead to interesting things like cylinder bolts loosening and crosshead pins falling off.

But was any of this known when 'computer' was a job description and a slide-rule was the instrument of choice for doing calculations? i.e. when steam locos were last commercially designed.

• RMweb Premium

Non-working signals of any kind? Not on Little Bytham!

Very nice indeed Tony. Another good way to operate ground discs is by using Viessmann damped solenoids, but these are quite expensive. I use memory wire actuators made up using parts of Bic Clic ballpoint pens (I use these for all my signals not just ground discs).

post-21039-0-37851700-1450433820_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-16298700-1450433859_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-10020500-1450433980_thumb.jpg

These show a prototype installation fitted to a standard Ratio signal. The Z-bend in the operating wire isn't actually needed and the production versions don't have it.

However, many people nowadays use servos for signal operation which if bought via the internet are quite cheap.

• Like 7

But was any of this known when 'computer' was a job description and a slide-rule was the instrument of choice for doing calculations? i.e. when steam locos were last commercially designed.

It was appreciated subjectively by those with a feeling for what the mechanical components might actually be doing when working; and dealt with practically by established custom and practise, such as wire or split pin locking of nuts and conservative dimensional allowances for components under load. Good illustrations of this appreciation may be found in Bill Harvey's 'Sixty Years in Steam'. A fine example is the careful examination of the evidence, by which he was able to 'see' the failure mode which plagued the Doncaster inside big end design, and thus propose the effective solution which was applied. In this same volume his analysis of the various design defects which surfaced on the Britannia class in service is very interesting.

After the successsful conclusion of the 1925's loco.-exchanges we know that 'Gresley Was Right.' to accept and to apply the major lessons to be learnt from 'Caldicott & from Pendennis Castles.'.

You couldn't ask for a better illustration of what those who knew Gresley had to say about his thirst for knowledge. He was after any and all information to improve the output of his engineering team. At an ILE meeting in 1936, he paid a most handsome tribute to a man with the same approach, a certain Mr Churchward; who had acquired this know how about valve events from 'The Frenchmen'. It seems strange now when technical information is very rapidly disseminated and applied: but back then communication was slow, and reliable evidence difficult to obtain.