Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

attachicon.gifSlide26A.jpg

Coachman

No one is suggesting that an entire train should be made up of wagons in such pristine condition but it would not be un-prototypical to include three (possibly more) such wagons. The other wagons in the train were in the usual distressed condition (as most then were).

ArthurK

I know no one was suggesting any such thing (I'm not totally daft)  and it just goes to show how words can be taken every which way by posting on a forum. I do know what I am talking about and I know what I want to say, but my fingers dont know how my mind works...... I'll delete my post seeing as it isnt all that clear to everyone!  :banghead:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Were the tops of Duchess fireboxes ever cleaned? and how did the cleaners reach them?

Not sure but I think only when they were in works and being painted? My own experience was if you couldn't reach it it didn't get cleaned.  Good colour photos of boiler/firebox tops would be nice...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Not sure but I think only when they were in works and being painted? My own experience was if you couldn't reach it it didn't get cleaned.  Good colour photos of boiler/firebox tops would be nice...

Baz

I can confirm the inner top of the firebox and about a half metre or so width of boiler top on the Duchess was uncleaned. In fact there was a large patch of rust and peeling paint on the firebox top. Had it been a locomotive that would run on my proposed layout I might have taken a shot of that but it did not occur to me at the time.

post-2326-0-57726400-1452893043_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the atop boiler and firebox areas are not clear here.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

The first loco I cleaned gave me a burn when I touched a bare steam pipe close by the top feed. After that I was very wary and stayed clear of firebox tops where the safety valves were. Needn't have worried though as it was obvious no cleaning rag had been used up there anyway. The boiler lagging behind the chimney was also difficult to clean as the paintwork was pitted. Side tank tops were never cleaned. Running plates were generally scraped to remove a build up of oil, ash and sand with a special tool. Smokebox doors might come up reasonably well if not burned. Backs of Tenders and Bunkers....forget it! 

We are used to seeing model backheads with gleaming brass and copper plumbing. This wasn't at all usual in steam days, in fact an inspector invited us both onto the footplate of a Stanier 2-6-4T that regularly worked Manchester Victoria- Blackpool trains just to show me the firebox backhead fittings were kept spit & polished by the regular crews. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The first loco I cleaned gave me a burn when I touched a bare steam pipe close by the top feed. After that I was very wary and stayed clear of firebox tops where the safety valves were. Needn't have worried though as it was obvious no cleaning rag had been used up there anyway. The boiler lagging behind the chimney was also difficult to clean as the paintwork was pitted. Side tank tops were never cleaned. Running plates were generally scraped to remove a build up of oil, ash and sand with a special tool. Smokebox doors might come up reasonably well if not burned. Backs of Tenders and Bunkers....forget it! 

We are used to seeing model backheads with gleaming brass and copper plumbing. This wasn't at all usual in steam days, in fact an inspector invited us both onto the footplate of a Stanier 2-6-4T that regularly worked Manchester Victoria- Blackpool trains just to show me the firebox backhead fittings were kept spit & polished by the regular crews. 

I would like to see a photo of that.

Regards

Ian

Porcy 

It may be a football field now but this is how it was in 1963. In a direct line my home was about a half mile from here.

Lovely pic Aurthur. I once recommended that location to film company that used to make pop videos and yes, Derwenthaugh coke works did make a very brief appearance in a pop video. 

I thought the 21 ton minerals looked like they had been photographed at the sidings over to your right. Behind the Golden Lion Pub.

Coachman

No one is suggesting that an entire train should be made up of wagons in such pristine condition but it would not be un-prototypical to include three (possibly more) such wagons. The other wagons in the train were in the usual distressed condition (as most then were).

I suppose it depends on your location. From 1976 to 1980, at one of the collieries I used to work, it was quite usual to see large parts of rakes of 21 ton hoppers being made up of ex. works refurbs and re-bodies being delivered for loading. I always put this down to the closeness of Shildon works when the vacuum brake fitting programme was in full swing.

P

• Like 1

What beautifully-subtle work, Andrew. My compliments indeed.

I'm sure someone else must have asked this, but have you described the methods you use? If not, you should do. You have Derek to take pictures; surely a magazine would be interested. 

Hi Tony,

thanks for the comments. The photography for an article is now done, I just need to sit down and write it. A more general layout article took precedence, that should be

in Model Rail early this year. In the meantime here's a bit of a teaser.

post-26757-0-32706700-1452941879_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Tony, going back to your Barry shot of the multiple layers of lettering appearing on the one tender side. I don't know whether you're familiar with Adrian Marks - occasionally of this parish as 'Buckjumper' - but he had a go at recreating that effect on a J68 (8639). It wasn't a great success as I recall and his gallery photos of that loco don't really show it, so I suspect he may have given it up.

His work can be found here. I've always especially liked this carriage - I had it as my wallpaper for a while and looking at Adrian's site I see Larry has indicated his appreciation as well.

Some beautifully "natural"-looking stuff on there.  The Jinty with the block-and-tackle is a wonderful piece of observation, of a kind you perhaps see on only a  fraction of layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pic Aurthur. I once recommended that location to film company that used to make pop videos and yes, Derwenthaugh coke works did make a very brief appearance in a pop video. 

I thought the 21 ton minerals looked like they had been photographed at the sidings over to your right. Behind the Golden Lion Pub.

P

Porcy

This was taken at the north end of the coke ovens where the line becomes a single track leading down to Derwenthaugh. 

This link shows more views of NCB locos and wagons at Ashington and Derwenthaugh.

http://www.rmweb.co....dpost__p__11782

This is a very long topic. Derwenthaugh is about halfway down. 

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

This is a very long topic. Derwenthaugh is about halfway down. 

I've visited that thread many times before.Your photographs are very inspirational. Especially regarding the weathering. Superb photographs of the then, mundane, everyday railway goings on in the North East.

Porcy

This was taken at the north end of the coke ovens where the line becomes a single track leading down to Derwenthaugh. 

I'm with you now. Just before the fulls weighbridge with the river just over the other side of the fence. I seem to remember the river being tidal at that point. By a strange coincidence that area lies between a football pitch and a cricket pitch but a different football pitch to which I thought earlier.

In about 1986 I attended the opening of a photographic exhibition that had documented the demise of the cokeworks and the parallel building of the Metro Centre retail "emporium" on the nearby coal/coke stocking grounds. The exhibition was called "Coke to Coke".

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

thanks for the comments. The photography for an article is now done, I just need to sit down and write it. A more general layout article took precedence, that should be

in Model Rail early this year. In the meantime here's a bit of a teaser.

Cannot wait! Stunning teak finish! I shall be buying that issue for sure! 

• Like 1

I can confirm the inner top of the firebox and about a half metre or so width of boiler top on the Duchess was uncleaned. In fact there was a large patch of rust and peeling paint on the firebox top. Had it been a locomotive that would run on my proposed layout I might have taken a shot of that but it did not occur to me at the time.

attachicon.gifImg_0235.jpg

Unfortunately the atop boiler and firebox areas are not clear here.

Phil

In the latter years of the County Donegal, the remaining steam fleet (finished in red) invariably had a wide band of dirty black along boiler top, dome and firebox. In one colour photo, I thought the dome was painted black until I looked a bit closer....

Of course if you are feeling lazy you can always use this as an excuse!

If I recall correctly there were three in this condition, Winlaton mill Coke Ovens. Mid 1960s.

attachicon.gifBook 9 006_4A.jpg

attachicon.gifBook 9 006_6.jpg

ArthurK

Are you sure about the dates on those? I ask as the wagons are from the 'rebodied' number series, which I thought appeared from the early 1970s. These used underframes from 21t hoppers of both BR and LNER styles, along with some from 24.5t hoppers, that were being displaced by MGR hoppers.

Winlaton Coke Works was an oddity; a small patch of industry in an otherwise verdant area. I recollect the poshest part of Blaydon was only a few hundred yards away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure about the dates on those? I ask as the wagons are from the 'rebodied' number series, which I thought appeared from the early 1970s. These used underframes from 21t hoppers of both BR and LNER styles, along with some from 24.5t hoppers, that were being displaced by MGR hoppers.

Winlaton Coke Works was an oddity; a small patch of industry in an otherwise verdant area. I recollect the poshest part of Blaydon was only a few hundred yards away.

The colour  shot of the coke works was indeed 1963 but the B&W shots were later. I don't have the exact date to hand but my estimate is indeed about 1972-73.  The posh part you refer to was and is Axwell Park situated next to an ox-bow lake long since separated from the river Derwent. My newsagent father delivered their newspapers daily for 363 days of the year but we lived in the 'lower' class area in the middle of Swalwell.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

My newsagent father delivered their newspapers daily for 363 days of the year but we lived in the 'lower' class area in the middle of Swalwell.

Only the "lower" part of Swalwell in respect of topography. I bet it was the most vibrant part of the village being slap, bang in the middle of three pubs and the "Cosy".

P

And just to keep things on topic as regards to weathering. Here's a couple of pictures that show exhaust residue on the top of an A4 after a little over one hundred miles of running.

post-508-0-14919000-1452960278.jpg

The fully polished locos, journey had originated in Huddersfield, before picking up in York then travelling at a sedate pace over the ECML before it's water stop at Tyne Yard. The top of the boiler cladding was fairly well coated on arrival.

I wonder,  during the 1950's & 60's, after a week of running, what condition an ex works loco would have been in taking into account all the additional "emission fall out"  from, industry, other loco's and the millions of residential coal fires.

The profile view shows the rest of 60009 to be pretty immaculate.

post-508-0-64292600-1452960282.jpg

With apologies for the dire quality of light on that day.

P

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Only the "lower" part of Swalwell in respect of topography. I bet it was the most vibrant part of the village being slap, bang in the middle of three pubs and the "Cosy".

P

Ah! the cosy, Swalwell's Cinema, front rows were hard forms the front one was no more than five feet from the screen those on that looked up almost vertically but it was only a penny. We were in the plush seats (cost 3d I think). My fathers shop was directly below and when things got exciting during afternoon matinees or Saturday morning  serial films (The Lone Ranger etc.) the audience started stamping the feet  and the noise below had to be heard to be believed. I may add that the shop was in the centre of the three pubs that you mention "The Sun", "The Three Tuns" and "The Seven Stars" and if you didn't like those the were about ten others to choose from. Not bad for a village of about 3000 people.

Sorry  about all this being off topic, Tony, but Porcy has rekindled old memories.

ArthurK

• Like 3

Dear fellow Wright writes readers,

I do hope the following is appropriate; my reasons for posting this are twofold. Firstly this is a kit recommended to my by Mr Wright, and secondly, it would be great to have all the expert opinion and suggestions of the contributors of this thread as I build my first loco. So rather than start a WIP thread, I thought it might be nice to show what I'm up to on here. 

The kit is the LRM J69. I have built the chassis, the High Level gearbox (went together superbly) and added the brake gear. There is paint in the bearings currently but I'll simply ream out the excess. Everything seems to go along smoothly and I've tested the chassis under power. The center wheels look like they are very high, but actually they are very close to the rails; I was keen to avoid the see saw effect! Here are a few pictures of my efforts so far, please remove if deemed too 'off topic'. Many thanks, Tom.

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

• Like 14

Dear fellow Wright writes readers,

I do hope the following is appropriate; my reasons for posting this are twofold. Firstly this is a kit recommended to my by Mr Wright, and secondly, it would be great to have all the expert opinion and suggestions of the contributors of this thread as I build my first loco. So rather than start a WIP thread, I thought it might be nice to show what I'm up to on here. 

The kit is the LRM J69. I have built the chassis, the High Level gearbox (went together superbly) and added the brake gear. There is paint in the bearings currently but I'll simply ream out the excess. Everything seems to go along smoothly and I've tested the chassis under power. The center wheels look like they are very high, but actually they are very close to the rails; I was keen to avoid the see saw effect! Here are a few pictures of my efforts so far, please remove if deemed too 'off topic'. Many thanks, Tom.

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

Good morning Tom,

Why should anything in your post be considered 'off-topic'? Entirely 'on-topic' I'd say. 

If nothing else, if this thread can show examples of others' building/alterations/detailing/weathering, then great. In its small way, it will have achieved something. 

Good morning Tom,

Why should anything in your post be considered 'off-topic'? Entirely 'on-topic' I'd say. 

If nothing else, if this thread can show examples of others' building/alterations/detailing/weathering, then great. In its small way, it will have achieved something. 

Good Afternoon (here) Tony,

Yes, I suppose that is the essence of this forum, the sharing of ideas and how we do 'stuff'. Also, if I am able to have a go at kit building then anyone else here should be able to as well! So far thoroughly enjoying the process, and if it works, then I'll be the happiest man this side of Macau! 

Good morning Tom,

That's looking very good for a first attempt.  Shows promise (as occasionally - VERY occasionally) was written on my school reports.

One thing I would recommend is that you add some sort of 'restrainer' to the motor/gearbox assembly.  As it is, seemingly not attached to the chassis but only on the axle, it will tend to rotate and rise under power, especially with the extended HL gearbox design and a dab of solder between the extension and the main gearbox side will help once you have established the correct working position.  Have a look at how I have got around this -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106477-another-one-started-kingdom-kits-barclay-16/

Scroll down to photos.

Edit - somehow I 'quoted' from the wrong post but I think it's understandable!

Edited by 5050

This weekend was spent most enjoyably at the CMRA St. Albans Show, the last in the Arena (next year it moves to Stevenage). 

As usual, the standard was very high and I took time out to take pictures of the layouts which appealed to me the most. No layout didn't appeal, but part of my role was as one of the judges in the Denis Moore Cup, which is always awarded to layouts with regard to the scenic elements.

post-18225-0-88690500-1453134759_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-30809100-1453134722_thumb.jpg 

post-18225-0-86666000-1453134745_thumb.jpg

Arigna Town, a beautiful piece of 7mm modelling depicting an Irish terminus by David Holman came fourth in the cup.

post-18225-0-98066100-1453135415_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-62000500-1453135403_thumb.jpg

Third was Jerry and Kim Clifford's little 2mm Scale masterpiece, Tucking Mill.

post-18225-0-11517400-1453135295_thumb.jpg

Second was Loch Tat by Adrian Lambourne and the Ivanhoe MRS, a great piece of N Gauge modelling depicting the Highland in more modern times (or it could be the NBR - please forgive my ignorance). 

post-18225-0-48238100-1453135358_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-19038600-1453135390_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-62425100-1453135730_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-74568800-1453135751_thumb.jpg

But the winner was the amazing B.A.Bodil by the Modelspoorgroep Valkeenswaard from Holland. This uses four different scales to represent the passage of a railcar as it heads up a Swiss valley. In the top picture the cup is being awarded by Malcom Oliver (left). 

My other jobs included being a loco doctor and a demonstrator. In the first role I managed to raise £35.00 for the CMRA's designated charity. My thanks to those who gave donations, some of which were for no more than a bit of advice. 

In my second role, my thanks to those who I conversed with, some of whom post on RMweb (though I wish one or two had told me their user name; I found I was conversing with someone with whom I'd corresponded with on 'my' thread in blissful ignorance, until I got home - how long will this nonsense of not using real names continue?). 

Bill Bedford also showed me some remarkable carriages he's going to produce as kits. I've rarely seen such innovation, simplicity and down right common sense in a prototype for a product. He's going to send me a couple of production kits when they become available in the spring/early summer for evaluation. Please, watch this space.

Andy Edgson (Isinglass) also showed me some 3D-printed carriage bodies for LNER prototypes. Again, I'll be getting one for assessment. Early prototypes look very interesting. 

Finally, my thanks to all those who bought the locos built by the late Andrew Kinsella. Every one was sold, raising over £500.00 for his widow (a percentage of which went to the CMRA charity). Occasionally, a task comes along where it's the least one can do to help someone. Betty, his widow, was quite overcome when she found out how much had been raised for her. So was I!

Edited because, as usual, the arranging of pictures is something way above my capabilities. However, the Thumbnails should be self-evident as to what they are. 

post-18225-0-74401900-1453135108_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-32039900-1453135705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 17

Bill Bedford also showed me some remarkable carriages he's going to produce as kits. I've rarely seen such innovation, simplicity and down right common sense in a prototype for a product. He's going to send me a couple of production kits when they become available in the spring/early summer for evaluation. Please, watch this space.

I've put some photos in their own thread

• Like 1

With regard to the Hornby J50, I've just mused through the relevant thread and the general consensus seems to be that it's a top model indeed. 

One of the things I've noted about the one I bought was that it rocks on the centre axle. This doesn't seem to impede its smooth running, but it's something I avoid on any rigid chassis I make myself. Has anyone else come across this? 

Speaking with Tim Easter over the weekend, I was impressed by the patching he'd done on his model with regard to latter-day weld repairs - very typical indeed.

Finally, though the 'incorrect' style of front numberplate font is probably correct for early BR, does anyone know just how many J50s received the correct Gill sans style of front numberplate later on, please?