RMweb

Wright writes.....

When I've asked questions of the owner, what is there to say? 'I bought this; I had that made for me; I commissioned that, etc. No, I'm much more interested in what folk have done for themselves, and always will be. They have a personal story to tell of how they did it. Just as you have in the building and maintenance of your line in the garden. Just great!

I guess, my view of it is that Long Marton is mostly the work of Peco, Hornby, Bachmann, Dow Corning, Digitrax & Winsor Plywood, but that assembling all the bits into what I have done is my work.  While I would love to have kit built coaches, the 4 or 5 sleepers I have part built and haven't found time for are kind of a poor excuse,  (even worse, I have 2 rakes of wagons to build in my copious spare time (!) that I should have (ha !) since I am retiring in 3 weeks) .  That being said, I have a layout, that works, and does most of what I want it to.  I built the layout, and would claim it as my work- unlike my traction engine, or the little steam wagon.  The little wagon is an interesting question- at what point would I claim it as being my work?  I built the original pump and mounted it, and fiddled around with a bunch more of it (I plumbed it, making up a bunch of the fittings to do so)- but it is my dad's work, really.  The trailer is mine- even though I didn't weld the frame together, I subbed that job out.  To me, the issue is one of credit where it is due, and as I have posted before Tony W., you do an outstanding job of giving credit where it is due.  I know of other people who would claim credit for having "made it themselves", when you ask them how, then the pravda (truth) starts coming out- and they were the general contractor, but actually didn't make very much of it at all...

James

• Like 1

Many Thanks for your kind comments. At the moment I'm still struggling with the buildings for Kingsbridge Regis, something I'd not really tried before. So far 2 scratch built buildings (the goods shed and train shed) and several kit bashed American kits. To see the results of this new endeavour for me look at my layout thread.

• Like 1

I have to accept that probably there will be no new videos of "how to" or of Little Bytham, that does seem to be the circle of life today,.  However, I do hope that the U-Tube stuff continues.  I and several others over here in the GWN (literally today) who have really enjoyed watching both Return to and Trainsporting at Little Bytham as well as other shorter videos.

• Like 1

There could well be a further U-Tube presentation with regard to Little Bytham. It's down to Tom Foster, who shoots and edits the programmes. I do jobs for him and he reciprocates, but the making of a half-hour presentation takes a whole day to shoot and loads of time to edit. OK, if it's your job, or the programme is for sale, but this is all spare-time stuff, good though it is. 

I have publication deadlines to meet for this autumn, which means a regime of completing the buildings (or as many as possible). With that in mind, all the information for the platform buildings was sent off to Bob Dawson today. Ian Wilson is working on the footbridge and the booking office. Since he doesn't do RMweb, he won't know that another loco (a K2) will be in his possession in return. With all these done, it might be an idea to shoot another sequence. We'll see. 

• Like 3

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

well we do have a week together of "spare time",

i think i might be bad influence on you sir.  :mosking:  :dancing:

well we do have a week together of "spare time",

i think i might be bad influence on you sir.  :mosking:  :dancing:

One might hope that during the week you're here in the autumn, I might get you to understand that 'I', as in the subjective case of the first person pronoun, is always written as a capital letter! 

As for your being a bad influence on me; how?

Regards,

Mr. Wright. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony , Hope you don't mind me bothering you again,but is it me or is it getting harder to find shops/traders stocking wheels.I've always used Romford wheels in the past but I believe these are on longer produced,looking on line at the various shops that I have dealt with in the past they don't have much left in stock and don't have any Markits wheels so can youself or anyone recommend the best place to go to ? (Especially A3 bogie wheels). Dennis

• RMweb Premium

A search of this very topic may reveal a variety of opinions and findings on the Scalelink wheels, probably not too long since last discussed. That might save re-airing the topic. I found that they worked well enough on my P1, others have encountered technical snags. They don't look quite so posh as a Gibson or esoteric Markits driving wheel.

I think Andrew Hartshorne (Wizard / 51L / Comet Models) may keep Markits stock to suit the Comet kits but I don't know if he supplies them separately too.

• RMweb Premium

I have looked at Wizard/51L, 247,Roxey,DMR, plus my old favourites Mainly Trains and Holts ,when I go to exhibitions these days it's difficult to find traders who stock wheels and detailing bits like you use to find,hence my plea for help . Dennis

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian I have visited Markits web site, didn't think of Googling them direct !! Stuck in my old ways , looks like the bank balance is in for a big hit !!! Thanks again Dennis

• RMweb Premium

I have looked at Wizard/51L, 247,Roxey,DMR, plus my old favourites Mainly Trains and Holts ,when I go to exhibitions these days it's difficult to find traders who stock wheels and detailing bits like you use to find,hence my plea for help . Dennis

The simple way is order direct from the manufacturer, unless you need other bits at the same time that come from another source (e.g. Wizard/51L) who also sells the necessary wheels.  That way you only pay one set of postage.

Do Mainly Trains have much left in the way of wheels - I was under the impression they were on the edge of being shut down due to retirement?

Alan Gibson will have a stall at the forthcoming ExpoEM and Railex exhibitions in May, and at Scalefour North next weekend - all excellent exhibitions.

HTH

Brian

As I understand it, kit makers don't stock wheels because the profit margin is slim which means they cannot afford to stock the many and various wheel designs. Also, not all modellers want the same wheels anyway, due to scale preferences etc.

Markits are the way to go in my opinion for 4mm scale but the web site is not all that user friendly. Best to pick up the good old telephone.

In 7mm scale there is the universal Slaters plus more esoteric S7 manufacturing from places like Walsall. This seems to be quite a stable market place with Slaters being present at all Gauge O meets. And their mail order system works well.

Hi Tony , Hope you don't mind me bothering you again,but is it me or is it getting harder to find shops/traders stocking wheels.I've always used Romford wheels in the past but I believe these are on longer produced,looking on line at the various shops that I have dealt with in the past they don't have much left in stock and don't have any Markits wheels so can youself or anyone recommend the best place to go to ? (Especially A3 bogie wheels). Dennis

Good evening Dennis,

Several people have responded to your request already and I can add little more. 

Markits (Mark Arscott) can be contacted direct on 01923 249711.

Dave Ellis of SE Finecast will supply Romford/Markits wheels with all his kits on request. The big difference now from in the past is that Markits does actual wheels for specific classes. For instance, you mentioned A3 bogie wheels. Time was when an LNER Pacific would come with 12mm generic bogie wheels. If you order the bogie wheels for an ER Pacific from Markits now you'll get a proper ten-spoke bogie wheel, complete with the prominent boss. These are a huge improvement and every Hornby or Bachmann ex-LNER/ER Pacific I have has these wheels fitted. Hornby's bogie wheels (every type) are really awful and Bachmann's aren't much better - I don't even use them as wagon loads, though I'm glad I didn't throw them all away. The reason for this is that an old friend has less-than-perfect trackwork on his loft layout and has one or two kit-built locos. Romford/Markits bogie/pony wheels have a propensity to derail, so I just fit the coarse Hornby/Bachmann ones as substitutes, which don't. So, it looks to me that if your track is dodgy, stick with the Hornby wheel. If it's good track, then substitute them immediately! My friend also bought a Heljan Tango, and the fine pony wheel on that fell off all over the place. Since there's no other RTR equivalent for that tiny pony wheel (and it's as fine as a Markits one), I substituted a coarse Bachmann pony wheel. Of course, it was too large a diameter, so out with the dental burr in the mini drill to carve a lump out of the front frames (not recommended!) to give clearance. It now works perfectly, but ughh! Needless to say, every Tango I've tried on LB works beautifully. 

Another advantage (at least to me) of the Markits carrying wheels is that they can be supplied as live-to-one-side. This is perfect for returning the current via as many wheels as possible on the non-insulated side. It also allows for the 'American' system of pick-ups (which I don't use). This means, of course, that the whole of the bodywork on a metal loco is live to one side. Since I don't use DCC (nor ever will), so what? 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

- has anyone tried the Scalelink wheels?  They seem very similar to Markits, but a lot cheaper...

HTH

Brian

I used them on my J71 and they are fine.You do have to be careful as the centres are plastic and the square aperture for quartering can become rounded with too much removal and replacement of the axles.

• RMweb Premium

I used them on my J71 and they are fine.You do have to be careful as the centres are plastic and the square aperture for quartering can become rounded with too much removal and replacement of the axles.

Many thanks - that would explain the price differential between Markits and Scalelink wheels then.  You get what you pay for....

Out of interest, does anyone know how the profile of Romford wheels compares with the current Markits offerings?  Am I correct in thinking the later wheels have a finer profile?

Thanks.

Brian

Many thanks - that would explain the price differential between Markits and Scalelink wheels then.  You get what you pay for....

Out of interest, does anyone know how the profile of Romford wheels compares with the current Markits offerings?  Am I correct in thinking the later wheels have a finer profile?

Thanks.

Brian

I think I am right in saying (open to correction by those who have used them more) that the newer wheels have finer flange (RP25 110?), but still use the overscale 2.5mm tyre width, presumably as RP25 79 or similar would have meant re-tooling all the centres? It is that width that puts me off them despite their undoubted quality and convenience.

Thanks.

Brian

Brian,

With regard to the difference between the older-style Romford wheel and the current Markits ones is that the latter has a much finer flange. Towards the end of their separate existence, Romford wheels became available with what's described as RP25 flanges (quite what this means, I'm not entirely sure), though the older, coarser, flange style was still available. I believe the RP25-style wheel was introduced coincidentally with the wheels being supplied blackened, but that doesn't mean that all black-centred Romfords are RP25. What it does mean, though, is if you pick up some all-silver Romfords, they'll be to the old profile. 

As far as I know, all Markits wheels are to RP25 profile. Most current RTR locos are close to this as well, though not all the bogie/pony wheels (with the exception of Heljan's Tango's pony wheel, which is). That's why I always advise replacing them. On decent track, even the later Peco Code 100 (not the old-style, dead-frog 'Universal'), RP25 wheels run exceptionally well. On C&L track, the older-style Romfords have a tendency to clatter on the tops of the chairs. So do Bachmann's Austerity's tender wheels, and the A1 and A2 tender wheels. The bogie/pony wheels just about get by, as do Hornby's, though some can clatter. It's just that they look so awful!

Last year I sold for charity/gave away dozens and dozens of the older-style Romfords, some even without the crankpin hole tapped. They were to keep very old locos alive, where the original wheels were either the wrong size or had all-mazak construction. Some of Buckingham's locos will be shod with them because they're more tolerant of ancient track. Thanks to Martin Long for donating many of them.

I've used the Scalelink wheels on a demonstration chassis I built for SE Finecast. They're very good, but are generic rather than specific. They're also much cheaper than Markits but don't have the 'put on, take off' capability as the latter, at least with regard to the potential number of times one can do it. That said, this isn't anywhere near the same problem as with friction-fit wheels. The Scalelink wheels will go on, come off, go on, etc, several times without any problem - which should be enough.   

• Like 1

As I understand it (would the more knowledgeable please confirm, I'd like to be sure) the number after the 'RP25' is the tyre width in thous - so RP25 110 (has 110thou, just over 2.5mm tyre - Markits), RP25 79 has 79thou tyre, 2mm, close to Gibson/Ultrascale fine 00/EM profile? The flange gets finer as the tyre gets narrower.

http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/RP-25%202009.07.pdf 

If there are any Romford type wheels with a 2mm tyre I'd be very interested to hear.

Edited by johnarcher

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tony,                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Thank you for your reply,we have met on a few occasions mainly at Wigan and had a few chats about kit building,I have always built my locos more or less the same as yourself especially regarding pickups ,I tend to replace all RRT wagons/coach wheels with Romford (maybe just out of habit) but leave the locos alone.                                                                                                                                     Thirty years or so I had a off license shop and had part off it as a model rail shop stocking loco kits and all the bits and bobs required to build them,the kits I usually acquired direct, but a lot of stock came from Kings Cross models,when my model shop came to a demise I went back into engineering but I had a good collection of loco kits with  romford wheels,which I have  built over the following years, since then  I have used mainly trains they stocked all I needed,sadly no more as they run  down their stock.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I have just started my retirement and looking at my projects I need wheels,the last few exhibitions I have attended the stands you could go to have disappeared hence my problem,but after last nights kind responses first thing on Monday I'll be calling Markits and hopefully ordering a set of B16 wheels and bogie wheels for my Hornby A4s /A3 (I have two DJH A3 to build )                                          Thank you all      Dennsi 

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of Bachmann tender wheels, Tony, do you have any advice for replacing those on the older style of tender such as the split-chassis Halls? These run in holes in the tender frames but are prone to becoming wobbly due to the failure of the plastic muff. Can scale wheels be substituted without too much difficulty or is the only solution to build a replacement chassis such as a Comet one?

Alastair

On the subject of Bachmann tender wheels, Tony, do you have any advice for replacing those on the older style of tender such as the split-chassis Halls? These run in holes in the tender frames but are prone to becoming wobbly due to the failure of the plastic muff. Can scale wheels be substituted without too much difficulty or is the only solution to build a replacement chassis such as a Comet one?

Alastair

Alastair,

I'm afraid I cannot offer first-hand advice on Bachmann split-chassis models (locos and tenders), because (with one exception) I don't own any. In my experience, they're mainly jerky, noisy and unreliable. One A4 I had just collapsed as its drivers' axles just split apart (is that what's meant by split chassis?). A V2 ran like a lame dog and three B1s sounded like lumberjacks at work. All now have proper chassis, apart from one A4 which still runs quite well.

As for the tenders, all I can say is what I've done. On one B1 and the V2, I replaced the wobbly wheels with the old-fashioned stub-axle Jackson wheel (16mm disc). These seemed to fit into the holes quite easily, though the frames have to be prised apart with great care! One might be able to fit pin-point axles, providing the original axle holes have bearings put in (?), but I haven't done this, so cannot comment from direct experience. The other (and far better) solution is to build a Comet sub-frame for them. Most of my earlier Bachmann tenders have these now.

The old-style Jackson stub-axle is no longer available. I might have a few 16mm spoked ones in a dusty box somewhere well-hidden, but it'll take a bit of rummaging to find them. I assume the Halls had spoked tender wheels. If they had discs, you're welcome to any of the dozens of old 16mm axles I've got.   

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

Out of possible interest, I've just written a potted history of Thompson's main line carriages for Bachmann Times, to coincide with the release of the new Bachmann models later this year. 

On digging through my collection of pictures, I came across the following pair (apologies if these have appeared before).

post-18225-0-15572100-1460200703_thumb.jpg 

I took this shot at Retford in 1965, just as the dive-under was being constructed.

post-18225-0-48662600-1460200700_thumb.jpg

This one was taken at Exeter, a year later. 

What they both show is that, even late on, these cars could be seen as strengtheners in principal expresses; in the latter case, not just on the ER. 

• Like 16

Out of possible interest, I've just written a potted history of Thompson's main line carriages for Bachmann Times. . . .

This one was taken at Exeter, a year later.

What they both show is that, even late on, these cars could be seen as strengtheners in principal expresses; in the latter case, not just on the ER.

Tony, your photo at Exeter reminds me that the main station building has the strangest architecture. Head on it looks OK, but from the side you see what is in your photo and it really doesn't make much sense. Was there a train shed at one time that would explain the presence of the tall brick wall? Compared to Paddington, Temple Meads and the much missed Snow Hill, Exeter seems to have been short changed by the GWR and its predecessor.

As an aside, while typing this on a tablet I keep getting my spelling changed, but the frequency of such often absurd suggestions is much less than I experienced yesterday while typing a complaint on a KLM flight attendant's iPad. She had it set to check Dutch spelling! This complaint was for one of two let downs by the airline. The other ongoing complaint is that my checked bag containing my more valuable modelling tools has been lost in transit. Why did I check it? You can probably guess that some of the contents would never pass a carry on inspection.

At the last minute I decided not to take the recently acquired David Andrews Compound kit with me because it is so heavy. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Edit, Saturday evening: I have received a message that the suitcase has been found and is on its way to me. Mind you, until it arrives I am still keeping fingers and toes crossed! The problem remains that I will almost certainly never know if the security authorities did a scan and interpreted the contents to be in some way threatening. I will be returning to the UK by car which in itself poses a problem - did you know that Brittany Ferries do not allow knives to be carried in a car? How that affects camper vans I know not, but a knife could be a modeller's scalpel, could it not!

Edit on Sunday evening. No suitcase, the courier won't delver it until Tuesday. So I will drive to the airport tomorrow to retrieve it. This really beggars belief.

Edit on Monday afternoon.  I drove to Montpellier (1-1/2 hours each way) and collected the suitcase.  The lock and zipper had been ripped off by someone but miraculously the contents were as I packed them.  My hole-widening broaches were scattered and the punch for my Metalsmith's riveter had become dislodged (but still in the case).  Apart from that I think I have everything intact.  As a frequent flyer I have had several suitcases replaced but usually by a large size that I never use.  KLM are only to get a claim for expenses incurred - so far I have been offered a few airmiles.  This should be closure, should anyone read it now it's on an old page.

Edited by Focalplane