Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi Everyone,

I've been making a start in the world of kit building over the last year or so and its been great fun with loads to learn and some amazing inspiration on this forum alone!

The focus for me tends to be LNER and as a result I have a as built SE Finecast W1 on my bench thats been there for some time as I keep on struggling with the valve gear. As a first kit (and that was probably mistake number one!) the body and tender went together rather well which was nice for a start. the chassis did too and was free running with no motion attached which was a start but it all goes down hill from there.

Since it was driving me mad I decided to move on a bit and I was given an old K's P2 - nothing amazing by some of todays standards but an excellent starting point to push myself a a bit further into the construction of the body. However learning from my past i started on the chassis, again with free running results with no motion. However I'm finding the same problem with the motion locking up in parts.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to track this issue? - I've tried to look at it but can't seem to find the where it's locking.

Hi Everyone,

I've been making a start in the world of kit building over the last year or so and its been great fun with loads to learn and some amazing inspiration on this forum alone!

The focus for me tends to be LNER and as a result I have a as built SE Finecast W1 on my bench thats been there for some time as I keep on struggling with the valve gear. As a first kit (and that was probably mistake number one!) the body and tender went together rather well which was nice for a start. the chassis did too and was free running with no motion attached which was a start but it all goes down hill from there.

Since it was driving me mad I decided to move on a bit and I was given an old K's P2 - nothing amazing by some of todays standards but an excellent starting point to push myself a a bit further into the construction of the body. However learning from my past i started on the chassis, again with free running results with no motion. However I'm finding the same problem with the motion locking up in parts.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to track this issue? - I've tried to look at it but can't seem to find the where it's locking.

Show some photos , it could be a number of reasons.

Hi Everyone,

Look at the size of coupling rod holes as they might bind on the crank pins at certain stages of the rotation.

Richard

A problem sometimes overlooked is that the coupling rod holes are too big. as mentioned previously, and also the coupling rod hole centres are different to the chassis axle centre line.  It pays to calibrate these components as accurately as possible.  If they are out-and don't be surprised-Iain Rice's Wild Swan book shows how this can be remedied.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely no help to Gordon, I'm afraid, but this is the motion at work on my P2. The only engine that would push this rather heavy engine along (motor gearbox not yet installed) was Jerry Clifford's Dapol class 52 diesel at the recent CMRA show.

On an 0-6-0 chassis, it is possible to check at which end the binding is occurring by putting the rods on front and middle and then rear and middle to reduce the number of variables in looking for the problem. Is the problem in the coupling rods or motion?

Tim

• Like 3

Tim showed me Lord President at the CMRA show. I was blown away by the detail work in such a small size though it is a mighty beast even in 2mm. Congratulations are due to him and his team for winning the best in show award for Copenhagen Fields. It really is a tour de force and a worthy winner. Every time I see it there is more to observe. It is a phenomenal concept and brilliantly executed.

Our Great Leader tried to get me to purchase a 4mm B12 to tip me over the precipice!  I resisted but I do not think the resistance will last long as it looks the business. What fortunate chaps you 4mm types are these days. If these detail levels routinely expected were available 35 years ago I would never have converted to 7mm.

The CMRA show was excellent with some stunning creations. The thing that spoilt it for me was that many of the super layouts such as Sidmouth were too low to really appreciate the effort that had been put into the model. I do feel it is not appropriate to bend down in front of a model as if in prayer and when things are crowded, it is a bit anti social to do so. Why are exhibition layouts set so low?

Regards

Martin Long

Hi Everyone,

Gordon,

I assume it's the coupling rods which are binding? If so, it'll invariably be when the crank pins are at 3 o'clock and/or 9 o'clock on one side or both sides. That being the case, just ease the bearing holes in the coupling rods with a broach - a twitch at a time. It's essential that the chassis is powered to test this. It really is pointless (as an absolute test for freedom) just pushing a chassis along by hand. All you're doing there is driving the rods using the chassis, not the other way round (which is what it'll be when it's running under its own power). I've seen demonstrations of a chassis rolling beautifully-freely powered by gravity down a slope, only to be told that they bind under their own power. This is even more of a problem if the coupling rod bearing holes have been opened out too much. With the last point in mind, the only cure I've found is to bush those over-sized holes and start again.

One other tip is to use a Poppy's Wood chassis jig.  

post-18225-0-71611300-1484563100_thumb.jpg

I use this device exclusively now for building loco frames. Here it's in use getting everything square for the chassis of the 16XX featured recently. Because the coupling rods themselves are used for setting up the bearing centres, the chances of any binding are greatly reduced.  

I hope this helps. 

Tim showed me Lord President at the CMRA show. I was blown away by the detail work in such a small size though it is a mighty beast even in 2mm. Congratulations are due to him and his team for winning the best in show award for Copenhagen Fields. It really is a tour de force and a worthy winner. Every time I see it there is more to observe. It is a phenomenal concept and brilliantly executed.

Our Great Leader tried to get me to purchase a 4mm B12 to tip me over the precipice!  I resisted but I do not think the resistance will last long as it looks the business. What fortunate chaps you 4mm types are these days. If these detail levels routinely expected were available 35 years ago I would never have converted to 7mm.

The CMRA show was excellent with some stunning creations. The thing that spoilt it for me was that many of the super layouts such as Sidmouth were too low to really appreciate the effort that had been put into the model. I do feel it is not appropriate to bend down in front of a model as if in prayer and when things are crowded, it is a bit anti social to do so. Why are exhibition layouts set so low?

Regards

Martin Long

Martin,

Thanks for mentioning the CMRA Show at Stevenage at the weekend. 

What a terrific event; my compliments to the organising team and to David Crossley in particular. There were a few issues of access on the Friday evening and for visitors on the Saturday morning, but these have already been resolved for next year. 

It was a privilege and an honour on my part to be a member of the judging team for the Denis Moore Cup for scenic modelling. Copenhagen Fields was a most-worthy winner, but Black Country Blues ran it a very close second. There were many other beautiful layouts which were in contention. 

post-18225-0-27627800-1484563679_thumb.jpg

In this shot, the cup is being presented to Tim Watson of the MRC (and the CF leader) by Malcolm Oliver of the de Havilland MRS

post-18225-0-70002700-1484563669_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-90034200-1484563671_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-30544500-1484563674_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-01932300-1484563677_thumb.jpg

I managed to get some shots of Copenhagen Fields. It really is a breathtaking creation. 

post-18225-0-66142600-1484563689_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-76632900-1484563691_thumb.jpg

You mentioned Tim Watson's P2 in 2mm FS. I also got a chance to get pictures of this. It really is stunning workmanship. 

My stand was next to MODELU, the brilliant range of scanned figures and all sorts of beautifully 3D-printed accessories for the model-maker.

post-18225-0-50533500-1484563681_thumb.jpg 

post-18225-0-03721100-1484563684_thumb.jpg

Including these lamps in 7mm scale (they're available in other scales as well). They really are terrific and absolutely to scale. Say goodbye to blobby, over-scale loco and stock lamps now. 

Many thanks to Graham Clark and his team for letting me take the MODELU pictures on Netherwood Sidings. This is a splendid evocation of the Woodhead electric route in its final years in O Gauge. 

post-18225-0-98671100-1484563686_thumb.jpg

It brought back many memories for me. 

For my part, other than judging and being scanned by Alan of MODELU (yes, I'll be taking 'scale' pictures on Little Bytham henceforth!), Mo and I ran a loco/stock-building demonstration and a loco clinic. May I please thank all those with whom I chatted and especially to those who donated generously to the CMRA charity? Between us, Mo and I raised £71.00 for the charity which, among other things, visits those who are house-bound and distributes books and DVDs - a most-worthy cause. 

As for fixing things it was a case of failure followed by success. A new RTR loco proved way beyond my capabilities. Why are they so difficult to get apart? Why are self-tapping screws used to hold parts together? Why, with even the most careful handling, do so many bits break off? The success? A well over-40 year old Tri-ang Hall which didn't go. A 'model shop' had apparently repaired it for the princely some of £26.00. Some repair!. So, a new pick-up made, the motor brushes adjusted, the whole thing cleaned and oiled and away she went. Crude? Of course. However, fast-forward a further 40 years and I'll bet that Hall is still going. How much of today's RTR will we able to say that about, I wonder? 

One final note, if I may, please? I came back home heartily encouraged. Not everyone I spoke to was as old and as much as a git as I am. All wanted to make/modify things themselves. I spoke to nobody who wanted others to do their modelling for them and all seemed to be as keen as mustard to have a go themselves. The future of our hobby? Bright, if Stevenage is a barometer!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifCopenhagen Fields 52.jpg

attachicon.gifCopenhagen Fields 54.jpg

attachicon.gifCopenhagen Fields 56.jpg

I managed to get some shots of Copenhagen Fields. It really is a breathtaking creation.

Unfortunately, the breath got taken away from our Up Goods Distant bracket signal on Saturday (second picture). The joys of exhibition layouts.

Tim

Martin,

Thanks for mentioning the CMRA Show at Stevenage at the weekend.

What a terrific event; my compliments to the organising team and to David Crossley in particular. There were a few issues of access on the Friday evening and for visitors on the Saturday morning, but these have already been resolved for next year.

It was a privilege and an honour on my part to be a member of the judging team for the Denis Moore Cup for scenic modelling. Copenhagen Fields was a most-worthy winner, but Black Country Blues ran it a very close second. There were many other beautiful layouts which were in contention.

Denis Moore Cup winner 17.jpg

In this shot, the cup is being presented to Tim Watson of the MRC (and the CF leader) by Malcolm Oliver of the de Havilland MRS

Copenhagen Fields 50.jpg

Copenhagen Fields 52.jpg

Copenhagen Fields 54.jpg

Copenhagen Fields 56.jpg

Tim Watson P2 02.jpg

Tim Watson P2 03.jpg

You mentioned Tim Watson's P2 in 2mm FS. I also got a chance to get pictures of this. It really is stunning workmanship.

My stand was next to MODELU, the brilliant range of scanned figures and all sorts of beautifully 3D-printed accessories for the model-maker.

ModelU lamps 02.jpg

ModelU lamps 03.jpg

Including these lamps in 7mm scale (they're available in other scales as well). They really are terrific and absolutely to scale. Say goodbye to blobby, over-scale loco and stock lamps now.

Many thanks to Graham Clark and his team for letting me take the MODELU pictures on Netherwood Sidings. This is a splendid evocation of the Woodhead electric route in its final years in O Gauge.

Netherwood Sidings 02.jpg

It brought back many memories for me.

For my part, other than judging and being scanned by Alan of MODELU (yes, I'll be taking 'scale' pictures on Little Bytham henceforth!), Mo and I ran a loco/stock-building demonstration and a loco clinic. May I please thank all those with whom I chatted and especially to those who donated generously to the CMRA charity? Between us, Mo and I raised £71.00 for the charity which, among other things, visits those who are house-bound and distributes books and DVDs - a most-worthy cause.

As for fixing things it was a case of failure followed by success. A new RTR loco proved way beyond my capabilities. Why are they so difficult to get apart? Why are self-tapping screws used to hold parts together? Why, with even the most careful handling, do so many bits break off? The success? A well over-40 year old Tri-ang Hall which didn't go. A 'model shop' had apparently repaired it for the princely some of £26.00. Some repair!. So, a new pick-up made, the motor brushes adjusted, the whole thing cleaned and oiled and away she went. Crude? Of course. However, fast-forward a further 40 years and I'll bet that Hall is still going. How much of today's RTR will we able to say that about, I wonder?

One final note, if I may, please? I came back home heartily encouraged. Not everyone I spoke to was as old and as much as a git as I am. All wanted to make/modify things themselves. I spoke to nobody who wanted others to do their modelling for them and all seemed to be as keen as mustard to have a go themselves. The future of our hobby? Bright, if Stevenage is a barometer!

Hi Tony, many thanks for taking a look at the well tank, apparently the motor should pop out so it can be adjusted so ill have a go removing the glue and seeing if I can get it to run!

Cheers

Lewis

Edited by gooey_lewy

Unfortunately, the breath got taken away from our Up Goods Distant bracket signal on Saturday (second picture). The joys of exhibition layouts.

Tim

Tim,

post-18225-0-79680800-1484572677_thumb.jpg

I've straightened out the top three posts, but I can't do anything with the main, bottom one. 

post-18225-0-25844200-1484572680_thumb.jpg

Perhaps a tight crop (having removed all the cobwebs- not easy to see in the overall shot)? This is from one of the other images. 

• Like 4

Tony

Good to see you and Mo at the show over the weekend. Edward and I enjoyed the show. Other than the obvious above, Porth St John stood out for me. For Edward, the SciFi Saturn moon layout and Clydach, the Welsh narrow gauge were his highlights. He did also stand next to another child by Copenhagen fields and get into a conversation about Dr Beeching!

Just a word on Modelu. What Alan is doing is in my view excellent. A brilliant use of technology to move the hobby forward to make things not possible even 10 years ago and who wouldn't want a ''mini me' driving or

firing their locos? An engaging person to boot and I hope he does well.

David

• Like 2

Hi Tony, many thanks for taking a look at the well tank, apparently the motor should pop out so it can be adjusted so ill have a go removing the glue and seeing if I can get it to run!

Cheers

Lewis

Lewis,

My apologies for not being able to get your well tank to go properly. 

The best of luck with your fixing it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

Morning Tony,

had the A2 running on the layout last night. The down fiddleyard is now pinned and wired, testing was done with the A2, pretty excited to see it romp round in a few months! :D

• RMweb Premium

A week or two ago we were discussing kit built Thompson coaches. That spurred me into action on my d.368 sleeper. I have made some progress as can be seen in the pictures below, but have now hit a bit of a stumbling block as I can't find any pictures that give me the underframe and roof detail or even exact bogie location (they are stuck on with blutac at present!). The best picture I can find is on p108 of the Harris blue book. Does anyone know of any better sources?

post-19760-0-09613600-1484598236_thumb.jpgpost-19760-0-74413400-1484598245_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A week or two ago we were discussing kit built Thompson coaches. That spurred me into action on my d.368 sleeper. I have made some progress as can be seen in the pictures below, but have now hit a bit of a stumbling block as I can't find any pictures that give me the underframe and roof detail or even exact bogie location (they are stuck on with blutac at present!). The best picture I can find is on p108 of the Harris blue book. Does anyone know of any better sources?

attachicon.gif_1030364.JPGattachicon.gif_1030365.JPG

thank you for posting. Whose underframd did you use. I ask as they're 66 ft long not 63?

I think that your model is in fact a D.369 SLST with 12 berths and a toilet at both ends. The D.368 SLSTP had 11 berths and an attendants compartment at one end and 2 toilets at the other end. The photo in Harris is misidentified.

There are several Thompson sleeper photos on Robert Carroll's Flickr site including a couple of underframe shots albeit a SLF. There are 3x D.369 photos in the Christmas 2007 issue of Modelrail.

Bogie centres according to the diagram are 47ft.

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Premium

Tim,

attachicon.gifCopenhagen Fields 52.jpg

I've straightened out the top three posts, but I can't do anything with the main, bottom one. 

attachicon.gifCopenhagen Fields 53.jpg

Perhaps a tight crop (having removed all the cobwebs- not easy to see in the overall shot)? This is from one of the other images.

That is a lovely shine of the safety valve of the eight footer that will never tarnish!

Tim

Morning Tony,

had the A2 running on the layout last night. The down fiddleyard is now pinned and wired, testing was done with the A2, pretty excited to see it romp round in a few months! :D

Good evening Jesse,

I'm glad the A2 is still performing well. 

You'll be pleased to know that all of John Brown's locos handed over to me prior to Warley have now been sold, raising a fair bit in excess of a thousand pounds for a bereaved family, with donations to charity as well. You certainly had the best one. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

thank you for posting. Whose underframd did you use. I ask as they're 66 ft long not 63?

David,

This is a combination of parts from many sources ( aka a bodge?!). You are right that they are longer than the standard Thompsons which doesn't make life easy. I used a pair of Railroad 'shortie' underframe that I picked up for 50p each, and glued them together on a plasticard former. All the underframe detail has been removed, ready for new bits when I can work out what goes where. It seems to work for now, but we'll have to see when it is pressed into service. The other bits are Mousa sides, 247 ends and MJT roof and HD bogies.

Andy