Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Some of the comments on the thread are quite amusing. a general disbelief that Gresley carriages and Crimson and cream could possibly exist at this time. If replicating the scene, probably eighty percent of the stock would have to be built including two differen't diagrams of LMS van and an LNER 8 plank masquerading as a PO wagon. Incidental, the BG upper right,has been identified as an LMS standard type. Far from it, it's a dia 1715 with features very different from the standard 50' BG, that is if the LMS had such a thing as a standard BG.

What better example of modelling what was actually there rather than what folk are familiar with or believe should be there ?

Hi Andy

The 8 plank is one converted during the war to become a merchandise wagon by simply cutting the top planks away above the doors. Some LMS and PO wagons were also converted. I hadn't realised that they remained in service like it for so long. I assumed they had new top planks and went back to carrying coal. 

Hi Andy

The 8 plank is one converted during the war to become a merchandise wagon by simply cutting the top planks away above the doors. Some LMS and PO wagons were also converted. I hadn't realised that they remained in service like it for so long. I assumed they had new top planks and went back to carrying coal. 

It's a fantastic photo, hopefully it will inspire somebody to pick up a file, a pot of glue or even some of that nasty solder stuff. I wonder if Tony will be sneaking some SC prefix numbers on to his carriage stock?

I have a couple of Lima EE Type 4's and a Jouef one bought new donkeys years ago. Though they all run / pull well they just don't look right parked alongside each other. One is too wide, or one too narrow, or perhaps a bit of both !! How do they compare with a Bachmann one ?

If you model Shap after 1960ish you need plenty EE type 4's (Big D's). Don't bother with the MTK kit though !!!!.

Brit15

The latest Bachmann EE Type 4 is pretty well spot on in comparison with its antecedents, including the earlier Bachmann incarnation with the shortened height body sides.

• RMweb Premium

At the Warley Show, Bob Dawson delivered the pair of semis which virtually complete the buildings for LB. 

Yesterday evening and this morning, I fixed them in place, added scenic dressings around, erected any fences and telegraph poles, then took these pictures. 

Three photos which amply demonstrate that "Finescale" is about so much more than track.

If those shots had been taken under natural light (and in B&W, more appropriate to era) , I think most of us would have struggled to identify them as a model.

• RMweb Premium

Opposite him was Bodmin well modeled but ..................... :lazy:

......because the layout had been erected on a planked wooden floor, every time anybody walked past the odd wagon in the yard jumped a scale foot in the air and rocked backwards and forward.

Bernard

But that would also be the case for all the other layouts wouldn't it?

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of Lima EE Type 4's and a Jouef one bought new donkeys years ago. Though they all run / pull well they just don't look right parked alongside each other. One is too wide, or one too narrow, or perhaps a bit of both !! How do they compare with a Bachmann one ?

If you model Shap after 1960ish you need plenty EE type 4's (Big D's). Don't bother with the MTK kit though !!!!.

Brit15

The Jouef model was definitely too wide. Don't know about the Lima.

Three photos which amply demonstrate that "Finescale" is about so much more than track.

If those shots had been taken under natural light (and in B&W, more appropriate to era) , I think most of us would have struggled to identify them as a model.

Like these?

post-18225-0-57019300-1511902285_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-04134000-1511902309_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-67993500-1511902332_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for your kind comments. 

I think what pleases me more than anything else about how pictures of LB turn out now is how the work of good friends appears so 'uniform'. Bob's buildings complement the brick bridge built by Ian Wilson, which supports the loco I built, running past Ellen Sparkes' gardens and my wooden dwellings, which are passed by my elder son's 9F (hauling some of the late Pete Lander's wagons) which is under the control of Mick Nicholson's signals, which were made to operate by Graham Nicholas, and is supported by the embankment built by Rob Davey, Richard Wilson and me, and so on................. Have I missed anyone? 

Speaking of lighting, it's as 'natural' as artificial light can be. The tubes are white light and so are the pulses of fill-in flash.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

Like these?

semis 01.jpg

semis 02.jpg

semis 03.jpg

Many thanks for your kind comments.

I think what pleases me more than anything else about how pictures of LB turn out now is how the work of good friends appears so 'uniform'. Bob's buildings complement the brick bridge built by Ian Wilson, which supports the loco I built, running past Ellen Sparkes' gardens and my wooden dwellings, which are passed by my elder son's 9F (hauling some of the late Pete Lander's wagons) which is under the control of Mick Nicholson's signals, which were made to operate by Graham Nicholas, and is supported by the embankment built by Rob Davey, Richard Wilson and me, and so on................. Have I missed anyone?

Speaking of lighting, it's as 'natural' as artificial light can be. The tubes are white light and so are the pulses of fill-in flash.

Regards,

Tony.

Very nice Tony, very nice indeed.

Finally, can anyone tell which gauge the railway has?

Obviously P4 Tony........:-)

Nice semis and gardens.

Regards,

Robin

Thanks Robin,

Parts of the gardens were made by the young daughter of a friend of mine, Ellen Sparkes. She wanted something to run on her Dad's friend's layout, and they're now all planted. It is beautiful work, and rather puts to shame (if I may be so bold) some of those who won't try to do things for themselves in railway modelling. 

I find myself in an immensely privileged position. So many friends and visitors have wanted to make something for the railway. These are not from the original band of creators, but they've wished to donate something to the project which they've made themselves. 

My most grateful thanks. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The latest Bachmann EE Type 4 is pretty well spot on in comparison with its antecedents, including the earlier Bachmann incarnation with the shortened height body sides.

I agree about the latest Bachmann 2000. Last year we discussed Class 40s and I put up on my REME thread a selection of my class 40s and my comments about them.

Thanks Robin,

Parts of the gardens were made by the young daughter of a friend of mine, Ellen Sparkes. She wanted something to run on her Dad's friend's layout, and they're now all planted. It is beautiful work, and rather puts to shame (if I may be so bold) some of those who won't try to do things for themselves in railway modelling. 

I find myself in an immensely privileged position. So many friends and visitors have wanted to make something for the railway. These are not from the original band of creators, but they've wished to donate something to the project which they've made themselves. 

My most grateful thanks. 

Regards,

Tony. 

That's a great story

But that would also be the case for all the other layouts wouldn't it?

The same wagons would behave in that way if there was another layout on which they could run, but most people do not make sprung or compensated wagons, so no it probably wouldn't be the case..

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

The same wagons would behave in that way if there was another layout on which they could run, but most people do not make sprung or compensated wagons, so no it probably wouldn't be the case..

Bernard

Sorry Bernard, I must be missing something. How does the springing or compensation make the wagons more susceptible to jumping up or rocking backwards and forwards (I how they might rock from side to side)?

At the Warley Show, Bob Dawson delivered the pair of semis which virtually complete the buildings for LB. 

Yesterday evening and this morning, I fixed them in place, added scenic dressings around, erected any fences and telegraph poles, then took these pictures. 

attachicon.gifsemis 01.jpg

attachicon.gifsemis 02.jpg

attachicon.gifsemis 03.jpg

Though these still stand, over the years they've been extended, porches built and windows replaced and re-positioned. We had no 60-year old pictures to work with, so Bob guessed at what might be (where the original windows were is marked by slightly different bricks in the in-fills on the real things). 

I'm absolutely delighted with these in situ, and the whole scene looks really 'natural', with loads of space for items to 'breath'. One thing I'm not sure of is what road markings there might be. In 1958, am I right in assuming that there'd be a 'major road ahead' sign of some description, and white marks at the junction and in the centre of the roads? 

Ellen Sparkes' beautiful little gardens fit in perfectly. Thank you young lady.

Finally, can anyone tell which gauge the railway has? 

Looking good Tony, but where will you place your camera when not in use and visitors empty stock boxes?  :sarcastic:

Looking good Tony, but where will you place your camera when not in use and visitors empty stock boxes?  :sarcastic:

Good morning Jesse,

I trust you are well.

Thanks for the comments. I've now got a shelf beneath the railway where I can place my camera and also put visitors' (note the possessive apostrophe!) stock boxes on.

Best,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Jesse,

I trust you are well.

Thanks for the comments. I've now got a shelf beneath the railway where I can place my camera and also put visitors' (note the possessive apostrophe!) stock boxes on.

Best,

Tony. 

... and upon which I can also put visitors' stock boxes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very Churchillian!

The attribution of the famous "up with which I will not put" quote to Churchill appears to be doubtful. Grammarians say there is nothing wrong in ending a sentence with a preposition but in the context of Tony's sentence I happen to find my version more euphonious. This is chiefly because it repeats the structure of "where I can place my camera". If Tony had written "I now have a shelf ... I can put my camera and visitors' stock boxes on" I wouldn't have blinked.

• RMweb Premium

Beware,

Once you start something like this, the slightest slip of the quill, the most innocuous of grammatical errors or the simplest of typos will be jumped upon.

I know! 

Good example! The less we have of this sort of thing, the fewer huffing posts there will be.

Right, I'm off to the railway station...

• Like 1