Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Dare I say it ..... its a bit like soldering Tony - and I learnt that off your video!

If you think about it, whilst often competent and good with their hands most mechanics are not rocket scientists and few are high performers academically .... so with reasonable application it is something most of us (practical people) should be able to master. I wasn't designing the engine or even adapting it ... just following the instructions really - and it is mechanical rather than partially electronic like today's offerings.

Thanks Tim,

From your description, perhaps I should have made being a car mechanic my career. 

My elder son has an aptitude for such things (and he's academically very bright), and happily rebuilds all the bits and pieces for his range of classic (decaying?) cars, including two Jags (one an E-Type) and a couple of Rovers.  

The thing is, I don't think I'd risk it - not meddling with things that are potentially lethal, if I get it wrong. Making an electrically-powered, small, steam-outline locomotive (using solder) has no overall health consequences if I get it wrong (unless I throw it at the wall, it smashes and bits go into my eyes!). If it doesn't work, that's it - a dud (fortunately very few). 

Fiddling with things like (especially) the brakes on cars is too much of a responsibility. When I owned a (very, very fast) TVR, I had the brakes upgraded (such things seemed to be of no concern to TVR - they just put bigger and bigger engines into their cars). There was no way I was upgrading the brakes myself. . 

Edited by Tony Wright

Thanks Tim,

From your description, perhaps I should have made being a car mechanic my career. 

My elder son has an aptitude for such things (and he's academically very bright), and happily rebuilds all the bits and pieces for his range of classic (decaying?) cars, including two Jags (one an E-Type) and a couple of Rovers.  

The thing is, I don't think I'd risk it - not meddling with things that are potentially lethal, if I get it wrong. Making an electrically-powered, small, steam-outline locomotive (using solder) has no overall health consequences if I get it wrong (unless I throw it at the wall, it smashes and bits go into my eyes!). If it doesn't work, that's it - a dud (fortunately very few). 

Fiddling with things like (especially) the brakes on cars is too much of a responsibility. When I owned a (very, very fast) TVR, I had the brakes upgraded (such things seemed to be of no concern to TVR - they just put bigger and bigger engines into their cars). There was no way I was upgrading the brakes myself. . 

No problems with that ..... 'don't want to' (for any number of valid reasons) is quite different from 'wouldn't be able to'. I find it amusing how often we say the latter when we mean the former. If you wanted to (or had to) I have no doubt you could, but would assume its never held much attraction. 

Taking as the start point that like you your eldest is a practical man who is demonstrably good with his hands, and good at problem solving .. its uncanny how often an aptitude coincides with a passion and love of a subject - don't you agree? something to do with 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration as the saying goes.

As an aside .... its amazing how the potential consequences you mention above focus the mind to ensure that you do things properly and test them properly !

Thanks Stephen,

I don't really look at You Tube (largely because I don't know how to, in the same way that I don't know - nor want to - how to put faces on books or make little bird noises). That said, I do occasionally look at clips which others post on this thread. 

It takes a long time to make and (especially) edit a DVD. The last one Tom made took us (literally) a whole day (ten hours) to 'film'. It required our moving of lamps around. Since I've had 200% more lighting installed in Little Bytham's home, extra lighting shouldn't be necessary, though it'll still take a lot of time. 

The DVDs I appeared in, made by Activity Media, were professionally-shot and edited. The Warners ones were shot on much cheaper equipment, but they were edited professionally. All of those were for sale or as add-ons to BRM. 

There appears little or no fiscal imperative or incentive to make a DVD today - it all gets put on You Tube. It would appear that some folk have become very rich by making You Tube videos, though I have no idea how that works, and, as alluded to, I'm not interested. I don't mean I'm not interested in getting rich, but that would be by 'traditional' means as far as I'm concerned - so far all those means have proved unsuccessful! 

I'm told that people make You Tube videos on how to open boxes, how to put your latest 'delight' on the track and how to run it. Is this true? Are some so 'uneducated' in the craft of railway modelling that this sort of stuff is necessary? 

Some conduct 'reviews' I believe. Where is their qualification for this? I know when I wrote product reviews in BRM, there was a great responsibility to get things correct and to be as fair and objective as possible. Not only that, the manufacturer saw the review before it was published, so he/she could comment and have a right to reply.

My younger son is a partner in a business and some 'reviews' of what his firm makes have been very inaccurate and damaging to potential sales. He once confronted such a 'keyboard warrior' and the guy (who obviously didn't get out much, was pale of face and weedy - apologies for the stereotype) had to admit that he was completely wrong. It makes me wonder whether some such posters realise how damaging their ill-informed comments can be. Has anyone ever been sued for libel on the various forms of social media? 

We definitely live in 'interesting' times. 

Hmmmmm, faces on books and little bird noises ! what mainline are they about ?

Regards

Peter

No problems with that ..... 'don't want to' (for any number of valid reasons) is quite different from 'wouldn't be able to'. I find it amusing how often we say the latter when we mean the former. If you wanted to (or had to) I have no doubt you could, but would assume its never held much attraction. 

Taking as the start point that like you your eldest is a practical man who is demonstrably good with his hands, and good at problem solving .. its uncanny how often an aptitude coincides with a passion and love of a subject - don't you agree? something to do with 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration as the saying goes.

As an aside .... its amazing how the potential consequences you mention above focus the mind to ensure that you do things properly and test them properly !

Tim,

Tom, my elder son, used to be a dab hand at railway modelling as well. He's still interested, but rebuilding classic cars is now his principal hobby (he also works in the classic car industry, as a designer for JLR). It's a pity he's no longer active in railway modelling (though he might return to it in future) because he'd have made a fantastic contribution to Little Bytham. With a friend, he made all the baseboards for Gilbert Barnatt's Peterborough North, also laying much of the fiddle yard track and doing a substantial amount of the wiring (for which he was paid, of course to be fair). 

He used to attend shows in his own right, as a demonstrator. I'm sure he got a bit sick (as a middle-teenager) at being told 'Your Dad must have made that'. I had nothing to do with it - he just had a natural aptitude. 

post-18225-0-31488500-1513537587_thumb.jpg

He made this 9F as a 15 year old (21 years ago!). It's a Kitmaster body on top of a Crownline chassis, towing a Dave Alexander white metal tender. I admit, I helped him a little bit with this in carving off the moulded-on handrails (on one side to show him how to do it). I had no wish to be prosecuted for endangering my son's well-being. I also helped him erect the valve gear (one side), but all the rest is his work, including the painting and weathering. It's seen in action on Stoke Summit. 

post-18225-0-73700800-1513537811_thumb.jpg

It still stands reasonable muster alongside a Bachmann 9F. Such is its 'quality' that I'm quite happy to run it on LB.

post-18225-0-62129300-1513537892_thumb.jpg

He also built this Magna Models J10 when he was 15 - his first white metal kit, all solder-assembled. I showed him how to scratch-build a chassis for it, and that was that. The rest is all his. As I say, I miss what he could have contributed, but parents should never expect to demand of their children what they should do, especially as they get older.

He did loads of RTR diesel conversions and was scratch-building a chassis, complete with gear towers and two O Gauge motors, for an EM model of the prototype Deltic.

Much of what he did was published, including a couple of pieces in what was the 'Student' Modeller section of the RM. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 9

Tim,

Tom, my elder son, used to be a dab hand at railway modelling as well. ......

He also built this Magna Models J10 when he was 15 - his first white metal kit, all solder-assembled. I showed him how to scratch-build a chassis for it, and that was that. The rest is all his. As I say, I miss what he could have contributed, but parents should never expect to demand of their children what they should do, especially as they get older.

He did loads of RTR diesel conversions and was scratch-building a chassis, complete with gear towers and two O Gauge motors, for an EM model of the prototype Deltic.

Much of what he did was published, including a couple of pieces in what was the 'Student' Modeller section of the RM. 

Was it Tom who did some weathering demonstrations on the painting and lining DVD?

I'm inclined to think that the only way to give a son a true lasting interest in one's own favourite topic is to create a convincing impression to suggest that he's not allowed any involvement at all with that sort of thing.

It seems to me that Tom is following the classic trajectory within the hobby .... enjoyment as a kid/young man ..... on to other things through the 20s/30s/40s ..... returning normally in later life as the passion rekindles. The amount of threads I read from 40 or 50 year olds starting with ..... I used to enjoy model railways and then life came along dot dot dot.

He may return or not .... but i wouldn't give up hope just yet.

• RMweb Premium

I'm inclined to think that the only way to give a son a true lasting interest in one's own favourite topic is to create a convincing impression to suggest that he's not allowed any involvement at all with that sort of thing.

With my two the eldest was always interested until half way through uni. Still chats to me about model making and trains but doesn't partake anymore.

The youngest, the closest he has come is his head just in the doorway of the model room " Mum says it's dinner" changing in later days to "Can I have a lift?"

• RMweb Premium

He made this 9F as a 15 year old (21 years ago!). It's a Kitmaster body on top of a Crownline chassis, towing a Dave Alexander white metal tender. I admit, I helped him a little bit with this in carving off the moulded-on handrails (on one side to show him how to do it). I had no wish to be prosecuted for endangering my son's well-being. I also helped him erect the valve gear (one side), but all the rest is his work, including the painting and weathering. It's seen in action on Stoke Summit. 

attachicon.gifBachmann and Kitmaster 9Fs.jpg

It still stands reasonable muster alongside a Bachmann 9F. Such is its 'quality' that I'm quite happy to run it on LB.

More proof if it were needed that for models dating back 50+ years, these Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol are quite exceptional value as tools to "hone the skills".

• RMweb Gold

My lad has ordered an N gauge Pendelino and has 3 class 350 emus so that he can run 1 12 car train. he also has 2 4 car Cross Country Voyagers so that he can run an 8 car train. I think he is still into trains.

• Like 1

When I owned a (very, very fast) TVR, I had the brakes upgraded (such things seemed to be of no concern to TVR - they just put bigger and bigger engines into their cars). There was no way I was upgrading the brakes myself. . 

Do you miss the TVR? Which model did you have?

Tony

You asked for a progress report on the scratchbuild.

post-23520-0-16647300-1513565694_thumb.jpg

Little progress made as it coincided with the rush to the end of the autumn term.

Got the high level two stage box to run more easily than I had imagined I would.

As you like to finish kits quickly this might be something you would prefer to avoid. It has taken a month to get this far and the boiler is resisting most of my efforts to solder on the firebox and smoke box.

Does anyone have experience with the outside cranks, how does it all fit on?

How far out does it go? Does it get spacers? Etc.

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I owned a (very, very fast) TVR, I had the brakes upgraded (such things seemed to be of no concern to TVR - they just put bigger and bigger engines into their cars). There was no way I was upgrading the brakes myself. . 

I would have thought brakes rather than speed were the important thing on the TVR. No wonder you switched to the ECML...

• Like 1

You must be very clever. Even with a brilliant 'how to' video, I don't think I could build a vehicle engine. 

As someone who has done both, I used to be able to build and install a mini engine in less time that it now takes me to built an etched brass loco kit!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They say hubris comes before a fall...

I was feeling pretty happy about my Prairie and intended to spend yesterday evening putting on the final small details before giving my workbench a pre-Christmas "tidy". Then disaster struck. I attached the wheel balance weights, put the loco back on the track for a test run ... and realised that it was running strangely sluggishly, and struggling with a load that it walked away with a day or two ago.

My first thought (probably not very likely in hindsight) was that I'd somehow impaired the wheel insulation with the balance weights - not by enough to short the loco completely, but perhaps enough to lower the current reaching the motor. So I removed the weights, refitted them a bit away from the rims, and tried to make sure no cyano was bridging the gap. But that didn't make any difference. I also verified that the chassis was still nicely free running, with no evidence of stiffness. I relubricated and re-tested. Still no improvement. The pickups are fine and the wheels clean.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment. It behaves as if the motor has lost some power but I doubt that it's had enough running under load to risk overheating, as it's really only done a few circuits of the layout at a time.

Is it me, or do these things always happen just when we're going away for a few days, so can't get at the problem? It'll play on my mind until I'm back, I know!

Al

Edited by Barry Ten

• RMweb Premium

Tim,

I'm sure there are, though I remain in ignorance of them - as I remain in (blissful) ignorance of the duds. 

You must be very clever. Even with a brilliant 'how to' video, I don't think I could build a vehicle engine. 

Easier than soldering white metal!

Easier than curving coach sides!

I have fully rebilt a few engines.

Old Rootes group 1600cc engines, done two, second one with quite a bit of tuning to make the Sunbeam go quicker. First was my mums Avenger estate.

GM V6, fiddly but not that difficult.

A couple of bike engines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmm, faces on books and little bird noises ! what mainline are they about ?

Regards

Peter

Faces on books.

Easy

The Thomas books

Faces on them, good stories as well

• RMweb Premium

They say hubris comes before a fall...

I was feeling pretty happy about my Prairie and intended to spend yesterday evening putting on the final small details before giving my workbench a pre-Christmas "tidy". Then disaster struck. I attached the wheel balance weights, put the loco back on the track for a test run ... and realised that it was running strangely sluggishly, and struggling with a load that it walked away with a day or two ago.

My first thought (probably not very likely in hindsight) was that I'd somehow impaired the wheel insulation with the balance weights - not by enough to short the loco completely, but perhaps enough to lower the current reaching the motor. So I removed the weights, refitted them a bit away from the rims, and tried to make sure no cyano was bridging the gap. But that didn't make any difference. I also verified that the chassis was still nicely free running, with no evidence of stiffness. I relubricated and re-tested. Still no improvement. The pickups are fine and the wheels clean.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment. It behaves as if the motor has lost some power but I doubt that it's had enough running under load to risk overheating, as it's really only done a few circuits of the layout at a time.

Is it me, or do these things always happen just when we're going away for a few days, so can't get at the problem? It'll play on my mind until I'm back, I know!

Al

When fitting the weights the first time, is it possible that some cyano got into the bearings or the drive-train?

It doesn't need to have been dropped there directly - it is enough for an over-generous use in one place to evaporate into fumes, only to re-condense elsewhere; which then goes off and impairs movement / rotation without locking the whole thing solid.

In your position, I'd be dropping off the coupling rods to check that the axles still rotate freely, and running the drive-train without load to check that there isn't resistance anywhere.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Do you miss the TVR? Which model did you have?

I don't really miss it, having had 11 years of fun out of it. 

I came to the conclusion that it was time to part company after I was waiting at some traffic lights in the TVR in Bourne and caught my reflection in a shop window. I was wearing my flat 'at, and just looked a total tw*t. OK if I'd have been in my 30s, but not in my 70s!

It was a Chimaera 500 - 340 BHP from a Rover 5 litre V8 in a plastic-bodied (and light) car. No traction control, no airbags, no ABS, no power-assistance, no roll bars - nothing; expect a huge engine guzzling fuel at an alarming rate!

Someone (on a dead straight road to be fair) 'took it on' in a VW Golf GT summat or 't'other. No contest! Through bends, a different story perhaps.

It must come as no surprise for folk to discover that I never grew up. Nor ever will. 

• Like 9

Tony

You asked for a progress report on the scratchbuild.

attachicon.gifIMG_4012.JPG

Little progress made as it coincided with the rush to the end of the autumn term.

Got the high level two stage box to run more easily than I had imagined I would.

As you like to finish kits quickly this might be something you would prefer to avoid. It has taken a month to get this far and the boiler is resisting most of my efforts to solder on the firebox and smoke box.

Does anyone have experience with the outside cranks, how does it all fit on?

How far out does it go? Does it get spacers? Etc.

Richard

Richard,

As I told you when we made the chassis, I've built about five locos (all GWR) with outside cranks. In every case, the parents of them never married! 

Though unscientific, I set them out so that the inside of the cranks just cleared the frames and the coupling rod pins just missed any platforms. Clearances were tight.

A friend (as part of battering) asked me to make a Buffalo chassis for him. He didn't have anything valuable enough to barter with! 

I don't really miss it, having had 11 years of fun out of it. 

I came to the conclusion that it was time to part company after I was waiting at some traffic lights in the TVR in Bourne and caught my reflection in a shop window. I was wearing my flat 'at, and just looked a total tw*t. OK if I'd have been in my 30s, but not in my 70s!

It was a Chimaera 500 - 340 BHP from a Rover 5 litre V8 in a plastic-bodied (and light) car. No traction control, no airbags, no ABS, no power-assistance, no roll bars - nothing; expect a huge engine guzzling fuel at an alarming rate!

Someone (on a dead straight road to be fair) 'took it on' in a VW Golf GT summat or 't'other. No contest! Through bends, a different story perhaps.

It must come as no surprise for folk to discover that I never grew up. Nor ever will. 

Hi Tony

At least your TVR was keeping you company for 11 years, I had a Cortina Savage a "slightly modded car" by Jeff Uren in Middlesex. Drove it for 6 months, got fed up with the constant changes of underwear and decided to part with it while I was still alive. 

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

......... I had a Cortina Savage a "slightly modded car" by Jeff Uren in Middlesex. Drove it for 6 months, got fed up with the constant changes of underwear and decided to part with it while I was still alive. 

Now that was a car that was! 

I have no experience of either of these cars, mine was a Porsche Boxster. Oh what a wonderful drive. My great bugbear is those who think it’s a Porsch. The ‘e’ is not silent. They’re in the same mould as those who think it’s prostrate cancer. Here the ‘r’ is silent.

Sorry for the rant.

Stephen