Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

(As an aside I can think of at least one place where a facing point, or rather a slip, led straight from the down main into a goods yard. Hyde Road, near Manchester. But I agree, it is not the "norm" even on those railways who were not too tight to pay for point locking where needed.)

Par, Cornwall.

Of course people could always live near their places of work and walk there, taking more cars off the road and improving their cardio-vascular circulation. We have become accustomed to living away from our place of work, where we shop, where our children go to school etc. then blame others who are doing just the same.

I have always be patient when behind a tractor, a lot of the time they are not going to far. Now I have moved to Lincolnshire if I need to go somewhere I expect to find a tractor on route so factor that into my journey. It does seem a daft interpretation of a law designed to make motorways safer being used to penalise someone going about his business. We tend to forget that farming is not a past time but a very important industry.

I tend to agree Clive,

Surely the problem is that we have far too many cars on the road at any one time and the way the world is currently set up means that many actually have little or no option. We like to think that the car is a wonderful freedom which gives us our own personalised space taking us door to door, where as public transport has to be shared (sometimes with the undesirable) and takes us where it wants to go. The reality of course is that if it were efficient, cheap and well networked many would now select the latter in preference - and perhaps be much healthier by so doing. I find being in central London I rarely use my car from day to day, and walk further than many in far more rural locations - but then we benefit from a pretty good public transport system even if it is expensive, whilst using a car for the same journey would be a nightmare.

Martin,

The 'LNER' system has been mentioned, and I thought it was inspirational, too. 

In the main, though, any layout in those wonderful, far-off days which used RTR equipment would appear in the 'Proprietary Modeller' section of the RM. Almost without exception, any 'Railway of the Month' would have items on it which had been made - either from kits or from scratch. 

That is not the case today. As I've mentioned before, many, many layouts which one sees in the press or at shows use RTR/RTP equipment. If one is lucky, it'll have been improved/altered/detailed/weathered by the owner(s), but this is not always the case. It's not just mainstream OO either - even O Gauge layouts now feature much more stuff on them that's 'out-of-the-box'. 

This is progress, and it's been argued (with justification) that we've never had it so good. However, I wonder whether some modellers actually look at the real railways they're trying to recreate, either through direct observation or from historical sources. If they did, perhaps we'd see fewer of my personal pet hates...........

Including........... 

Trains displaying no lamps or discs. 

Even though front detailing is included for the RTR loco, this is left off (revealing holes in the bufferbeams) because of the retention of the dreaded tension-lock couplings.

Platforms which are far too high. During my research into building LB's platforms, the highest I found came to halfway up a buffer head. Many were much lower. On some featured layouts (aimed at the beginner), the platforms are so high they'd interfere with the opening of doors. 

Non-working signals and/or signals placed in the most unsafe positions.

Facing crossovers (at through stations), direct leads into goods yards (off fast running lines) and no trap points. 

Trains made up which just don't make sense (a gangwayed Buffet Car in a set of non-gangwayed carriages. In fairness, it could have been empty stock, though no lamps were displayed).

Nothing weathered. I'm not just mentioning stock here, but things like pristine roofs on ancient (chocolate box top?) buildings. 

No sense of place or time on a layout (often an affliction seen on vast OO, club systems).

As for running - we've been here before. 

Does anyone else have a list of 'pet hates' (mine's just the beginning)? It could be that some pet hates lists include those who list pet hates. 

As I've said before, nobody has a right to dictate in a hobby what folk should or shouldn't do. However, if a person's work is seen on display in the press or at shows (and both), then surely there is a responsibility on the builder's part to get things as right as they can, especially if a project is aimed at the beginner. 

As well as your wonderful "Little Bytham" book Tony, I got a set of secondhand bound volumes of "Railway Modeller" magazines from 1959 to 1970 (to replace the incomplete and tatty selection I had) from Ebay. What wonderful reads they are. Back in the 60's (my TT days), Proprietary Modeller and Railway of the Month were always my favourite articles. I suppose I still am a good case of a modern proprietary modeller, especially my loft layout. Many of the "Railway of the Month"  articles back then (as you write) display a lot of scratch / kit built items of varying standards. To me David Jenkinsons "Marthwaite" and his subsequent layouts set the ball rolling back around 1964 for detailed layouts.

We have never looked back from then as far as both detailed layouts and proprietary equipment goes (along with healthy mixes of the two). I wonder what folks back then would think of your "Little Bytham" layout ?

As to pet hates, I agree with your list, mine are few. What I find particularly annoying, and spoils many a good layout is the often un-disguised "hole in the back scene" entrance / exit to the fiddle yard etc. In many cases a few trees etc would help disguise it. I find modern tension locks are rubbish, as are hauling capabilities of many RTR locos, mainly due to lack of weight, but these two problems I reckon are not present with your fine kit built locos.

As to driving, never forget the Queens Highway is for all to use, Pedestrians (crossing), Horses, Steam Tractors, Cyclists, Caravans, cars, HGV's etc etc. If we all drove with respect to others than all would be fine.

Finally a Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year to all.

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks a great lifestyle, Tim (though not for me).

My comments are more directed at caravans-pullers, though the motor home I drove on test (yes, I'll do anything for money - well, almost anything) would have reached 0-60 mph if I'd have driven it over a cliff! 

Why do these folk revel in the 'open road' idea. Yes, open to them, but not to others. Have you ever driven from Barrow to Whitehaven behind a succession of caravans, even in a (potentially) fast car? 

Regards,

Tony. 

We used to have one until storage fees got so high that we could not afford them. Hit £500 a year plus insurance and it had started to rot.

I towed with a 200bhp V6 engined saloon running on LPG, I did NOT hold anyone up.

• RMweb Premium

My pet hate is the 40mph club on country roads. They saunter along at 40mph in the open countryside, where invariably, 60mph is easily and safely achievable, then, in villages (where threats are much higher and a lower limit is totally valid) with a speed limit of 30mph, they continue at 40mph. It boggles my small mind.

I hate them.

They make commuting painfull

I have no problems with passing them, then slowing down for the 30 with them trying to get past, then leaving them again at the 60 limit

• Like 1

I hate them.

They make commuting painfull

I have no problems with passing them, then slowing down for the 30 with them trying to get past, then leaving them again at the 60 limit

Yes! And you can see them getting angry at you, even though you are driving within the law! Incredible.

• Like 1

Par, Cornwall.

John,

As Poggy has also suggested, there are instances of leads into goods yards which contradict my observations.

However, what was the speed limit through Par? 50, 60, 70, 80 or more mph? I have never visited the prototype, so I don't know. 

My 'pet hates' with regard to incorrect track layouts are (probably) more general. However, to be specific, when WMRC built Moretonhampstead in OO (to 'scale' - yes, over 30' long!), a prototype track plan was used. In order to gain access into the goods yard from the single running line into the station, trains had to go into a parallel siding, then negotiate a diamond crossing to access the yard. I assume this assured safe practice both in entering the goods yard and exiting it. I imagine the maximum speed anywhere at this remote Devon terminus was walking pace, so safety was first, even there. 

At every ECML location I can think of, apart from facing points to gain access from fast to slow or vice versa, any lay-byes or goods sidings (other than through loops) could only be accessed by reversing. In fact, there were numerous lay-byes out on the road where reversing gave the only access. Yet, I've just been looking at a layout or two (obviously not prototype-based) where no observation of prototype practice has taken place. These include facing crossovers on a Settle & Carlisle layout. A signal box placed at 45 degrees to the running lines because 'it looked more interesting'. Sidings giving direct trailing access to main running lines without the protection of a trap point or sand drag. Granted, things like the latter seem to have disappeared today (though once the one at Winsford had been taken out, almost immediately a collision occurred when a Pacer over ran). 

I think this aspect is one of my pet hates which I'll continue with. And, as I always say, if you (the generic 'you') wish to model 'accurately', then look at the (a) prototype and copy it. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium

Those 40mph everywhere drivers are bred here, I feel.  There are so many of them it defies logic otherwise.  Life on a small island!

My camper van (2011 Fiat Ducato MWB panel van based) doesn't hold anyone up.  On motorways it will cruise at or above the legal limit, should you wish, and on other roads it will keep up with any normal traffic.

Back to the topic-ish, I wonder why modern RTR locos have such weedy motors. Old XO4 powered ones could take a lot of extra weight added to become decent performers in their day, or with whitemetal body kits on their chassis, and could be made to run quite well.  The modern ones just seem underpowered, despite their admitted improvement in slow speed running.

In Dorset we face particular problems as we have no motorways, only very limited stretches of dual carriageway and passing places, some notorious bottlenecks and many of our A roads are little wider than country lanes. The roads have to cater with massive influx of tourists that we need as they are a major part of our economy. The issue is, as has been discussed previously inconsiderate driving whether by tractors, tourists or locals.

I grew up on a farm and come from generations of farm workers so understand the needs of the industry, working on farms as a student was something I loved though we were never allowed to consider it as a career for reasons not relevant here.

I have used S&W auto couplings for around 20 years as I find 3 links too fiddly and won't consider tension locks. Recently I've been experimenting with Kadees as part of the rebuild of my Rickett Street layout to EM. These photos show a row of wagons both kit and proprietary that have been converted to EM and had Kadees fitted as test pieces. A Bachmann type 2 (class 24) has been converted to EM using Gibson wheels so I do model as well as moan about things! The photos show my only bit of EM track - it is too cold in the garage to work on the layout though the point work is built. This is a project to see if I can work in EM.

post-12773-0-12905100-1514738277_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-57552400-1514738570_thumb.jpg

Why use Kadees? I have read a lot of positive comments about them so thought I would give them a try. A chat with Charlie Petty told me what to buy and fitting has been relatively easy so far

Some of my most treasured possessions  are my Model Railways magazines featuring Borchester and Buckingham and my 1978 bound edition of Railway Modellers the first complete year I collected. Things were definitely different then and I return to them a few times a year for inspiration. We have never had it so good but things can always be improved and/or varied.

Vehicles seem to present a problem on quite a few layouts, often put on the road/car park/bridge straight from the box even if a lot of work has been put into the rest of the layout.

Martyn

• Like 1

Gary,

A lovely job - my congratulations. 

Just two observations, if I may, please? KINGFISHER's front numberplate only ever had the incorrect style of curly-tailed '6', not the true Gill Sans sort. And, in every picture I've seen where 60024 has red 'plates, she's carrying electric warning flashes.

Tony

Thank you for the compliment and yes you are correct regarding the electric warning flashes, the loco originally had a single chimney and rarly crest. The electric warning flashes have been ordered but may take longer to arrive i was told (due to the time of year). These together with numbers and nameplates for another loco which never existed. The loco in question being haymarket’s 8th a4 60000 Buzzard. I was told once that Buzzard plates were indeed made/cast at one point but were never fitted, the loco being otherwise named. Personally i think that, although this name is fictional, it isnt too wide of the mark (if that is the correct expression). I also intend to mount plaques on the boiler casing in the style of 60027. I found that the crest of hms merlin and buzzard are pretty close and i have a spare set so these will be used, together with a late crest bow ended corridor tender which is spare at the moment. Its just a matter of having to find the time.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Yes! And you can see them getting angry at you, even though you are driving within the law! Incredible.

And that is the best bit, you are making better progress, legal and peeing them off!

• RMweb Premium

Those 40mph everywhere drivers are bred here, I feel.  There are so many of them it defies logic otherwise.  Life on a small island!

My camper van (2011 Fiat Ducato MWB panel van based) doesn't hold anyone up.  On motorways it will cruise at or above the legal limit, should you wish, and on other roads it will keep up with any normal traffic.

Back to the topic-ish, I wonder why modern RTR locos have such weedy motors. Old XO4 powered ones could take a lot of extra weight added to become decent performers in their day, or with whitemetal body kits on their chassis, and could be made to run quite well.  The modern ones just seem underpowered, despite their admitted improvement in slow speed running.

I found towing back 5 years ago that power to weight was down to about the same as a moderately quick small car.

It was quick enough when towing to out drag or out hill climb any solo cars

• RMweb Premium

In Dorset we face particular problems as we have no motorways, only very limited stretches of dual carriageway and passing places, some notorious bottlenecks and many of our A roads are little wider than country lanes. The roads have to cater with massive influx of tourists that we need as they are a major part of our economy. The issue is, as has been discussed previously inconsiderate driving whether by tractors, tourists or locals.

I grew up on a farm and come from generations of farm workers so understand the needs of the industry, working on farms as a student was something I loved though we were never allowed to consider it as a career for reasons not relevant here.

I have used S&W auto couplings for around 20 years as I find 3 links too fiddly and won't consider tension locks. Recently I've been experimenting with Kadees as part of the rebuild of my Rickett Street layout to EM. These photos show a row of wagons both kit and proprietary that have been converted to EM and had Kadees fitted as test pieces. A Bachmann type 2 (class 24) has been converted to EM using Gibson wheels so I do model as well as moan about things! The photos show my only bit of EM track - it is too cold in the garage to work on the layout though the point work is built. This is a project to see if I can work in EM.

attachicon.gifDSC_0005_Fotor.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0001_Fotor.jpg

Why use Kadees? I have read a lot of positive comments about them so thought I would give them a try. A chat with Charlie Petty told me what to buy and fitting has been relatively easy so far

Some of my most treasured possessions  are my Model Railways magazines featuring Borchester and Buckingham and my 1978 bound edition of Railway Modellers the first complete year I collected. Things were definitely different then and I return to them a few times a year for inspiration. We have never had it so good but things can always be improved and/or varied.

Vehicles seem to present a problem on quite a few layouts, often put on the road/car park/bridge straight from the box even if a lot of work has been put into the rest of the layout.

Martyn

Dorset is lovely but the bank holiday influx of Londoners is unpleasant road wise.

Locals were so much more polite.

My personal 'pet hate' to add to the list Tony is the apparently growing trend to display a layout without a backscene, I have always contended that the eye needs

to 'rest' against something behind the main source of interest and also provide a sense of perspective. A happy and prosperous 2018 to yourself, Mo and all of 

the readers of 'Wright Writes'

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My personal 'pet hate' to add to the list Tony is the apparently growing trend to display a layout without a backscene, I have always contended that the eye needs

to 'rest' against something behind the main source of interest and also provide a sense of perspective. A happy and prosperous 2018 to yourself, Mo and all of 

the readers of 'Wright Writes'

Hi Chris

I am in the opposite opinion regarding backscenes. Too many distract from the model, they can be overpowering, they can cause a visual upset where they do not blend in, they look like an afterthought, the layout lighting gives the 3d objects one shadow (or more) and backscene's shadows go the opposite way. Perspective only works if viewing from the right place. Who is the lucky punter at a show to see this, not me. Unless the backscene is thought of as the layout is designed then it normally visually fails. If the operators feel they need to hide their fat bellies, drinks, sandwiches and other junk then a plain light blue or grey board works better than flat houses. 

A few days ago I believe an invitation was issued to us all to show what we've made this year. A combination of factors, including increased annoying consumption of my time by the "real job", plus the legacy of past efforts to prepare locos quickly to "basic standard" in order to populate the Grantham layout appropriately at shows, has put me in the position this year of finishing the year with largely the same items I had at the start, but now finished to a higher standard. A good amount of preparation of new moulds for resin casting and artwork for etched valve gear parts has also taken place as part of a successful effort to simultaneously help other modellers wishing to convert Hornby P2 locos and to generate a small amount of funding for the full size Darlington P2 project.

My own two converted P2 models thus at last have a final livery job, twiddly details added and so on, now being free from any need to be taken apart again in order to yield master parts for mould making. Here they sit on the festive table-cloth!

attachicon.gifV- two cocks.JPG

I've also tinkered with the "standard" Hornby P2 model, adding lamps and robust metal cylinder drains, substituting Gibson wheels in the pony truck and temporarily painting the rims of the coupled wheels "steel" to emulate the ex-works appearance of the new loco. When I have the time and motivation I'll probably go for Gibson coupled wheels too, for the sake of the real burnished steel rims. This model, unlike the other two P2s, had the unfortunately not-uncommon notchy motor, which I replaced with one of the larger 5-pole Cans found in the best Hornby Pacifics. For better or worse I also replaced some of the spindly, angular plastic pipework associated with the ACFI pumps and heater.

attachicon.gifSTA70872 whole.jpg

A couple of other locos that have so far run only in fairly plain finish on Grantham are these, a DJH Atlantic equipped by yours truly, idiosyncratically, with six wheel drive, and green liveried A4 Woodcock, an assembly of various Hornby LNER Pacific remnants, spares and a resin copy of a tender top.

attachicon.gifSTA70115.JPG

In the last couple of weeks I've got most of the way to finishing the livery and detailing on the A4 properly, as this image shows, and I hope the Atlantic will follow shortly.

attachicon.gifSTA70892.JPG

The restricted new output from the home works during the year has been supplemented by three new acquisitions from other sources. In the Summer, the opportunity to get a tidily built Millholme B5 came up. The loco was seen on here at the time. It has since had a works visit to bring it closer to the standard that I ultimately intend:

attachicon.gifSTA70797.JPG

In October I was pleasantly surprised to see this model on sale at a local exhibition. I did not hesitate to grab it, and it's a lovely smooth runner, but it will be a while before it receives the essential Doncaster green livery job.

attachicon.gifSTA70802 crop.jpg

Just after that, a price reduction on a certain retailer's stocks of Hornby Q6 models proved tempting. After a fair bit of study of the notes on this class I've done a stop-gap renumbering job and added a windjabber to the chimney to turn the post-war LNER version offered by Hornby into a late pre-war example. I had a tricky time trying to get the flimsy running plate to lie flat too, not helped by the presence of the bracket for the lubricator drive. I've since realised that said bracket is superfluous on the pre-war loco so I've removed it!

attachicon.gifSTA70877.JPG

I've also obtained a couple of the new Peco bullhead code 75 points to investigate what can be done with them, simultaneously digging out some long-stalled plans for a new section of railway which could ultimately form most of the scenic portion of an exhibitable layout. If circumstances next year allow me more time, I may actually get somewhere with that scheme. Who knows?

Happy New Year to all.

the v4 looks lovely indeed, I picked up my 61700 a few years ago at a swapmeet for less than £40, I thought that there must be parts missing at that price but no it was all there and went together quite easily.  I did consider painting my loco in lner livery but in the end plumped for br black (less lining).

gary

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

I am in the opposite opinion regarding backscenes. Too many distract from the model, they can be overpowering, they can cause a visual upset where they do not blend in, they look like an afterthought, the layout lighting gives the 3d objects one shadow (or more) and backscene's shadows go the opposite way. Perspective only works if viewing from the right place. Who is the lucky punter at a show to see this, not me. Unless the backscene is thought of as the layout is designed then it normally visually fails. If the operators feel they need to hide their fat bellies, drinks, sandwiches and other junk then a plain light blue or grey board works better than flat houses. 

I do agree with you Clive in some parts. It does take a great deal of planning at an early stage but if got right can be a great success when using trees, foliage, hedges and greenery. I have yet to be convinced by the use of buildings in half relief/smaller scale and suchlike.

This is the work of Paul Bambrick taken at S4um this year. IIRC in the top picture the first two rows are trees, bushes, static grass a ditch and then flat painted backscene.

This worked spectactularly well.

post-6728-0-37811300-1514751696_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-18361200-1514751713_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Those backscenes of Paul Bambrick are amazing. I brought his book on the back of seeing them at Aylesbury! There was a similar, very small, perspective based "layout" at Warley that was equally impressive in conveying a sense of depth in barely inches. One of those ones where you stop and think "how did they do that?"

Backscenes can rarely "make" a layout, they can "complete it" but done badly they can ruin one. If in doubt, it feels a pale, washed blue serves most purposes

David

I tend to agree with both you and Clive, however if you the artistic skills of Paul Bambrick they can look spectacular. I've been thinking long and hard about the back scene for Louville Lane and I suspect I'll be going for the almost plain bluey grey type sky.

By the way A Happy New Year to Tony and Mo and all who contribute on this thread.

A very happy and successful New Year to all who post on this thread. 

My most grateful thanks to all of you for making it so entertaining. 

Regarding backscenes, I'm in agreement with those who think they can either finish off a layout or ruin it. 

I'll dig through my picture library tomorrow to show some which work, and some which don't. Being a miserable old git, I'll not do it now. In fact (at just after 9.30 pm) I'm off to bed. I can't be @rsed to see in the New Year! 

I'll also show what I've been doing in the way of architectural modelling. My resolution (from tomorrow) is to be more self-sufficient and self-reliant in my own modelling. Just like you who post on here.................

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone else have a list of 'pet hates' (mine's just the beginning)? It could be that some pet hates lists include those who list pet hates. 

As I've said before, nobody has a right to dictate in a hobby what folk should or shouldn't do. However, if a person's work is seen on display in the press or at shows (and both), then surely there is a responsibility on the builder's part to get things as right as they can, especially if a project is aimed at the beginner. 

Hear Hear, if I've paid to view I have the right to pass judgement on the exhibit (but I would NEVER say it to an exhibitor).

As for pet hates, Tony, we've been compiling a thorough list on this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59319-things-which-annoy-you-with-modelling/

• Like 1