Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Whilst I go and find my Thompson B1s and will take some photos accordingly, I shared with Tony recently a few pics of a W1/Hush-Hush build that was started with the purchase of two damaged Hornby bodyshells off eBay. Here they are as purchased:

IMG_4447.thumb.jpg.7f9a826a8b2feeb9746bcaf0deb01d88.jpg

As you can see, the deflectors in particular are very badly damaged. No problem, I thought...so after some careful gluing/filling/sanding/and paint on the less damaged one to check a paint match, here were the two bodyshells:

IMG_4697.thumb.jpg.1de95935bd2981b838b54076eea5f4eb.jpg

A cruel closeup on the one with the paint match test. It has since been brushed back for a coat of aerosol paint on the offending area of the deflector. Nevertheless, the paint chosen for the burnished steel and the deflectors match Hornby's original colour scheme.

In the meantime, I put together spare parts, approaching Graeme King for the cartazzi parts from his resin W1 kits (these have been altered slightly to match the as-built loco, Graeme's kit is for the rebuilt locomotive).

IMG_4995.thumb.jpg.5dcfe6c9ead11f5f13a12ab82079122c.jpg

The other parts were two Hornby A3 chassis I had spare (and had been lying around doing nothing for at least six or seven years), and two Hornby Railroad Flying Scotsman 1928 tenders, which were subsequently modified and painted accordingly.

IMG_5217.thumb.jpg.bdf98165011295add1acb1e51fced6c3.jpg

Another cruel closeup shows I have to modify the position of the cartazzi, and then build it up, at the rear end to match the as-built W1. The tender paint and lettering (Fox Transfers) matches Hornby's bodyshell perfectly.

The current state of affairs:

IMG_5211.thumb.jpg.03204fbefc55e8b1d48e9434c3d11704.jpg

There are many more modifications to carry out on the model, including but not limited to the cylinders, the eccentric, new extension frames, correct bogie type and in the right colour, but...

...recycling these damaged bodyshells into something workable has been very pleasing, and hopefully the results will be worth the effort, with one loco going on eBay to help pay for my upcoming wedding, and the other locomotive going into my private collection of L.N.E.R. machines. 

Is a brand new Hornby W1 better than my way? Absolutely, for a frills and all model of the W1. Has mine come out cheaper? At £25 a bodyshell plus £70ish for all of the parts (and using up two spare chassis that had sat around for years), also yes. Is recycling the bodyshells good? I think so, maybe there's a bit of the environmentalist still in me that hates waste and would rather take someone else's broken things and fix them and make them into something workable.

By far the thing I am happiest about is the paintwork. I nailed the colour choices, I feel, and I hope you agree. I'll post an update if it is of interest once the models are complete.

Thanks to Graeme King for digging out his moulds and providing me with the impetus to fix the locos.

• RMweb Premium

Might I just thank everybody for their kind reactions to my hacked servos and level crossing and suggest for those able to go that the 2mm Association is holding it's delayed Diamond Jubilee exhibition this coming weekend in Derby, where the best in 2mm modelling will be seen.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/170562-2mm-scale-association-diamond-jubilee-expo-18-19-june-2022-derby-conference-centre/#comment-4842206

regards to all,

Bob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Can anyone help identify this coach for me please? I haven’t a clue and I need to know what it is so I can sell it. 

Many thanks in advance 

26A9A0CC-FD39-44F3-8109-5CD4E7F4D5A2.jpeg

Jesse,

as Andy says , a LNWR Radial underframe carriage, probably a D277 (Lavatory Third) and from a Microrail kit (AFAIK the only people that produced  42ft radial underframe LNWR Carriage kits in 4mm), with a common problem of the plastic roof curling up at the ends.

Identifying LNWR Carriage Diagrams is fairly easy with the LNWR Society's Webbsite section  on that topic at lnwrs.org.uk.

There is also a comprehensive list of kits under the Features/Modelling/4mm section (although it doesn't include some NLA kits, such as the Microrail radials) which may help identify the other model you have.

If well painted and with 00 wheels they shouldn't be difficult to sell, although the main market will be in the UK.

Jol

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

By far the thing I am happiest about is the paintwork. I nailed the colour choices, I feel, and I hope you agree. I'll post an update if it is of interest once the models are complete.

Hi Simon,

Was the paint colour an off-the-shelf (Railmatch/Pheonix/Humbrol etc.) or did you mix it yourself?

Many thanks,

Brian

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
39 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hi Simon,

Was the paint colour an off-the-shelf (Railmatch/Pheonix/Humbrol etc.) or did you mix it yourself?

Many thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I was lucky enough to come across the RAL number for the colours on a spec sheet they published several years ago, and ordered a touch up jar, and an aerosol of that colour.

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Hi Brian,

I was lucky enough to come across the RAL number for the colours on a spec sheet they published several years ago, and ordered a touch up jar, and an aerosol of that colour.

Best wishes

Simon

It might be helpful to other members if you quoted the RAL number?

CJI.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Thanks Andy. 

So now I have to try and sell a LNWR Coach. 

Well if you don't fancy repainting it, I might be able to give it a home.....

Andy G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

Is the carriage part of the same collection you mentioned to me yesterday?

Regards,

Tony. 

16 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It is Tony, there’s another LNWR full brake that I’m not sure to part with. All depends if I’m bothered to repaint it. 

The auction of the model railway items of the late Ron Reilly @nerron that we mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I used to go fishing here as a lad. Leeds & Liverpool canal at Ince, GC line to Darlington St goods and Wigan Central.

Ah memories. As my (now) wife lived at Worsley Hall Estate, our favourite walk used to be along this canal a bit further along. A lovely walk - past the sewage works, along the canal and back by the baked bean factory! I believe it has changed in the last 50 years, though!

Lloyd

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

The sewage works is now Robin Park where the annual Wigan Model Railway exhibition is held. (Its in October). Heinz bean factory has been extended and is now the largest food factory in Europe.

Quite a nice walk down the towpath towards Appley Bridge these days. The fish were always a bit more healthy on that side of Wigan I must admit !!!

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/06/2022 at 13:17, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Whilst I go and find my Thompson B1s and will take some photos accordingly, I shared with Tony recently a few pics of a W1/Hush-Hush build that was started with the purchase of two damaged Hornby bodyshells off eBay. Here they are as purchased:

IMG_4447.thumb.jpg.7f9a826a8b2feeb9746bcaf0deb01d88.jpg

As you can see, the deflectors in particular are very badly damaged. No problem, I thought...so after some careful gluing/filling/sanding/and paint on the less damaged one to check a paint match, here were the two bodyshells:

IMG_4697.thumb.jpg.1de95935bd2981b838b54076eea5f4eb.jpg

A cruel closeup on the one with the paint match test. It has since been brushed back for a coat of aerosol paint on the offending area of the deflector. Nevertheless, the paint chosen for the burnished steel and the deflectors match Hornby's original colour scheme.

In the meantime, I put together spare parts, approaching Graeme King for the cartazzi parts from his resin W1 kits (these have been altered slightly to match the as-built loco, Graeme's kit is for the rebuilt locomotive).

IMG_4995.thumb.jpg.5dcfe6c9ead11f5f13a12ab82079122c.jpg

The other parts were two Hornby A3 chassis I had spare (and had been lying around doing nothing for at least six or seven years), and two Hornby Railroad Flying Scotsman 1928 tenders, which were subsequently modified and painted accordingly.

IMG_5217.thumb.jpg.bdf98165011295add1acb1e51fced6c3.jpg

Another cruel closeup shows I have to modify the position of the cartazzi, and then build it up, at the rear end to match the as-built W1. The tender paint and lettering (Fox Transfers) matches Hornby's bodyshell perfectly.

The current state of affairs:

IMG_5211.thumb.jpg.03204fbefc55e8b1d48e9434c3d11704.jpg

There are many more modifications to carry out on the model, including but not limited to the cylinders, the eccentric, new extension frames, correct bogie type and in the right colour, but...

...recycling these damaged bodyshells into something workable has been very pleasing, and hopefully the results will be worth the effort, with one loco going on eBay to help pay for my upcoming wedding, and the other locomotive going into my private collection of L.N.E.R. machines. 

Is a brand new Hornby W1 better than my way? Absolutely, for a frills and all model of the W1. Has mine come out cheaper? At £25 a bodyshell plus £70ish for all of the parts (and using up two spare chassis that had sat around for years), also yes. Is recycling the bodyshells good? I think so, maybe there's a bit of the environmentalist still in me that hates waste and would rather take someone else's broken things and fix them and make them into something workable.

Thanks to Graeme King for digging out his moulds and providing me with the impetus to fix the locos.

Good evening Simon,

Good jobs, well done. 

Have you considered altering one of those W1s to its last manifestation before being rebuilt? That is with the smokebox door exposed, a double chimney, the hood smoke-lifter fitted and the exposed reversing gear.

Come to think of it, has anyone?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Simon,

Good jobs, well done. 

Have you considered altering one of those W1s to its last manifestation before being rebuilt? That is with the smokebox door exposed, a double chimney, the hood smoke-lifter fitted and the exposed reversing gear.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hornby are doing one . A secondhand option however, maybe cheaper !!.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-w1-class-hush-hush-smoke-lifting-cowl-4-6-4-10000-era-4-r30126

https://us.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/p2-or-not-p2-question

Edited by micklner
  • Thanks 1

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Simon,

Good jobs, well done. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

I've decided to build them as close to identically as possible, so that I can sell the second (in the spirit of raising some money for my upcoming wedding) as a repaired/new chassis and new tender bodge of sorts.

Someone out there will get an "almost" Hornby W1 I intend to be supremely honest in the sale photographs, showing every stage of the build, including a parts list of the Hornby parts numbers.

I only need one "Hush Hush" for Ganwick Curve (it's already out of my normal timeframe of 1942-49) so am happy to pass on my good fortune to someone else who might like a W1 with working flanged cartazzi and bissel truck wheels.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Tony,

I've decided to build them as close to identically as possible, so that I can sell the second (in the spirit of raising some money for my upcoming wedding) as a repaired/new chassis and new tender bodge of sorts.

Someone out there will get an "almost" Hornby W1 I intend to be supremely honest in the sale photographs, showing every stage of the build, including a parts list of the Hornby parts numbers.

I only need one "Hush Hush" for Ganwick Curve (it's already out of my normal timeframe of 1942-49) so am happy to pass on my good fortune to someone else who might like a W1 with working flanged cartazzi and bissel truck wheels.

Best wishes

Simon

Have you got a thread on the layout mate? I’ve not seen many wartime LNER layouts. 

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Have you got a thread on the layout mate? I’ve not seen many wartime LNER layouts. 

No photographs anywhere until it’s in a good enough state to photograph. However I think there’s at least some footage on my YouTube account somewhere when I started building.

Baseboards were built in 2014 and I had them finally wired up in 2020, and fiddle yards done in 2021. Meanwhile, the scenic work takes place quietly in what little time I have.

The whole layout will move up to my new home in north London soon and at that point I might drop some photos on the LNER groups on Facebook. 

Most of the models are wartime liveried and the trains deliberately wartime themed, with a few exceptions for trains I love like the coronation, flying Scotsman, Yorkshire Pullman, etc. 

You’ll be disappointed if you are looking for wartime scenery, it was designed primarily so that any train could run on it up to when the extra bores were built at Ganwick at each tunnel end. So it’s pretty much the cutting, with pine trees, a couple of 1930s houses at one end, double track and lots of greenery.

The troop train planned and the war department trains I am building should make it quite clear what era it’s in, however. I’m particularly excited by the number of 1:76 airfix models I am building for some warwells.

13074802-9E3C-42C9-9F9A-5D2E37D7E812.thumb.jpeg.b0b71fa1f9fdc6cde7a888dd0a93d2d0.jpeg

The locomotive roster on the other hand is nearly complete with a glut of locomotives in liveries covering the main period of 1942-9 and a few exceptions pre Second World War. Such as Isinglass here which is yet another of my Railroad Scotsman conversions, soon to be weathered. It uses many of Graeme Kings resin parts, a whole new cab, replacement tender, and so on and so on…

No photographs anywhere until it’s in a good enough state to photograph. However I think there’s at least some footage on my YouTube account somewhere when I started building.

Baseboards were built in 2014 and I had them finally wired up in 2020, and fiddle yards done in 2021. Meanwhile, the scenic work takes place quietly in what little time I have.

The whole layout will move up to my new home in north London soon and at that point I might drop some photos on the LNER groups on Facebook. 

Most of the models are wartime liveried and the trains deliberately wartime themed, with a few exceptions for trains I love like the coronation, flying Scotsman, Yorkshire Pullman, etc. 

You’ll be disappointed if you are looking for wartime scenery, it was designed primarily so that any train could run on it up to when the extra bores were built at Ganwick at each tunnel end. So it’s pretty much the cutting, with pine trees, a couple of 1930s houses at one end, double track and lots of greenery.

The troop train planned and the war department trains I am building should make it quite clear what era it’s in, however. I’m particularly excited by the number of 1:76 airfix models I am building for some warwells.

13074802-9E3C-42C9-9F9A-5D2E37D7E812.thumb.jpeg.b0b71fa1f9fdc6cde7a888dd0a93d2d0.jpeg

The locomotive roster on the other hand is nearly complete with a glut of locomotives in liveries covering the main period of 1942-9 and a few exceptions pre Second World War. Such as Isinglass here which is yet another of my Railroad Scotsman conversions, soon to be weathered. It uses many of Graeme Kings resin parts, a whole new cab, replacement tender, and so on and so on…

The pennies just dropped, I remember where I’ve seen the W1 comversion, on the LNER modellers FB page. 

I’ll have a look on YouTube, my second love is History, particularly the Second World War. I was originally going to model the same period as you, but after seeing Grantham in the March 2014 (I think) BRM and the late 30s stuck to me like sh*t to a blanket. I’ve stretched my period of 1935 to 1940 on hopes of modelling some sort of wartime train, like a troop train of sorts. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, gr.king said:

I do find it satisfying when items that would typically be dismissed as sub-standard, or damaged beyond use, are "upcycled" at moderate cost into something worthwhile. Throwing money at the hobby to make purchases of the very latest and /or supposedly top-quality products isn't the only way to get results. Whilst some of the ideas and methods outlined in the book would rate as a rather crude these days, when I took up (attempted) serious railway modelling 30+ years ago, with limited funds, a little book by Cyril Freezer was of great help, I think it's title was something along the lines of "Building Model Railways on a Budget". All money has to come from somewhere, generally by working hard for it if you're a normal person, so why not make it stretch as far as possible, and learn to use some practical modelling skills along the way?

Just to add a slightly different (and more provocative) thought to that W1 rescue project, in reality, what sort of a mess might have been made of "rebuilding it into something more practical" had the loco had it been left in high-pressure compound condition until ET took office? 

• Like 2

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
10 hours ago, gr.king said:

Just to add a slightly different (and more provocative) thought to that W1 rescue project, in reality, what sort of a mess might have been made of "rebuilding it into something more practical" had the loco had it been left in high-pressure compound condition until ET took office? 

I suspect ET would have improved the locomotive, given he took over from Stamer in 1933 at Darlington works and was subsequently responsible for the fitting of the double chimney (on Gresley instructions - see page 79 of William Brown's book on no.10000 for the secondary source, or the primary source, the files, are available in the NRM).

The modified locomotive was inspected post double chimney and cowl fitment, after not being repaired at Darlington, pending further investigation, and was subsequently rebuilt at Doncaster to her final streamlined A4-esque form, as the most powerful express passenger locomotive in the British Isles.

Thompson appears to have had a fondness for 10000 in both of its forms, in its rebuilt form it was used to compare and contrast performances with the P2s which subsequently led to that class' rebuilding along conventional lines.

Edited by Simon A.C. Martin