Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

WCJS.

A. Pedant M Inst RC

Was not sure and yes i do have a ratio one painted up, not easy at all.

I tend to like light upper, dark lower schemes, carmine cream, blue grey, brown cream.

All over maroon, or green a little boring in comparison.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

In fact when you think about it, steam ran on the mainline with blue & grey stock for longer than either carmine & cream or BR maroon. Starting in 1966 in dribs & drabs, from about 1968-9 most mainline steam would have had a rake of blue & grey stock in tow, until about 1986, the main exceptions being the GWS chocolate & cream heritage set, the SLOA umber & cream Pullmans, and the odd few locomotive support vehicles.

So for the thick end of 20 years, steam on the mainline with blue & grey stock was the norm.

Got carmine cream and maroon for the older stuff. But steam specials are getting a rake of mark1s in chocolate cream.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

There is a very interesting thread right here on rmweb devoted to that mini-era.

Well worth a look.

Brit15

Thanks. Thinking back, it may have been a link on that thread that led to a photograph collection on Flickr that I saw.

If I ever got to the stage where my hands and eyes no longer work well enough to build things, I would still want a layout, OO and RTR based and on the grounds that modelling pre WW1 GCR/GNR/MR/LNWR is always likely to be difficult relying on RTR, I would very likely choose that period to work in. Things like 8Fs hauling MGR wagons and grotty Black 5s on rakes of blue/grey would at least be a bit out of the mainstream. I have never liked following the herd, so I usually look at what everybody else is doing and head somewhere else!  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

.......  and then on the Southern Region at Vauxhall in March 1967 you could see this - Maroon, Blue Grey and Green !512227898_VAUXHALLMAR67039.jpg.adb8a013dd23c853a7c50457e9469966.jpg

The only BR steam loco I remember seeing in normal service is 34100 (formerly Appledore but lacking names when I saw it) at Winchester in 1967. I know I saw others as they are underlined in my trainspotting books but that is the only one that I remember when and where I saw a specific loco. I did see a colour photo one time that had those three colours plus a brown and cream Western Region carriage, which really was a full set. 

• Like 1

Livery crossover eras are often not modelled, or so it seems from exhibition layouts. There are exceptions though.

I remember commenting to John Houlden that Gamston Bank (set in 1954) needed some LNER-liveried stock as there were still some around then - some teak or mock teak carriages made it all the way through the crimson and cream era without gaining the livery. 

Stoke Summit was good in that it depicted the crimson and cream to maroon transition, as does Retford. There are other examples too. The early BR years are a good period for mixed liveries, including the 1948 experimental ones.

DMUs were not always uniform:

51270618218_55f8de1b7c_c.jpgDLW_4-10-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

46744222861_895e9bf609_c.jpg53434_53507_N677_ManVic_29-10-88 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Neither were Blue Pullmans:

41415090514_82707e0551_c.jpgBlue-Pull_down_Moreton_1-8-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr  

• Like 12

The weather being cold and wet all week, and myself having a snuffly cold I have been reading my bound volumes of "Modern Railways" magazines 1962 to 1975, bought years ago at a fiver a volume.

What I like about reading these is that the whole lot is a snapshot in time to back then, no historical articles like the other mags at the time, every issue is packed with what was actually happening (or proposed) during this very interesting time. Particularly of interest is the (usually) several pages per month headed "Motive Power Miscellany, devoted to traffic and locos in particular. Each region has a section and most useful at the end is "Motive Power Changes listing per region new locos, reallocated and withdrawn. September 1964 has 5 pages !!! (probably a short paragraph would suffice today).

A quick look on Google found this - well worth a look, and this is just the Calder valley area !!

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Prototype/Trains_Illustrated_1960.html

A wonderful source of information for the modeler of this era such as this (off the web)

image.png.9e029e35aaa0cc9ea363ab4531cd9dfe.png

Lots more here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/with/49903898513/

When I read about what we had, and look out of my front window at what we have now (WCML Wigan) - is it any wonder what's up in my loft !!

Of course it was not all rosy, the new (back then) diesels were having many teething problems, the Beeching cuts were draconian and swift, the first 9F was withdrawn, then Black 5's & 8's started to go. Dub D's (etc) were going at over 30 in some months by 1964. Tony's beloved ECML Pacifics were being culled along with ours on the WCML (Here we still had my beloved Brits till the end of 1967).

Sometimes you can find them on ebay etc. A must for the 60's fan.

image.png.0fb355dbbe1359f994df8a27ae0dda6e.png

Brit15

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steven B said:

It's not BR's fault that Gresley put the beading too low down 😀

4104057678_cb9643572c_w.jpg

RB_Gresley_unknown by robertcwp, on Flickr

Steel sided coaches carried the livery well. Mr Thompson did a much better job:

31325955711_e3b1376cd5_w.jpg

LNER Thompson 63' "RB" (Buffet Lounge Car) No.E1705E by Hugh Llewelyn, on Flickr

LMS porthole stock were OK too:

c.1970 - Wolverton Works, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.

(John Turner on Flickr)

I haven't been able to find any SR or GWR passenger stock in blue/grey.

Steven B

All Bulleid coaches remaining on the Southern Region disappeared by the end of 1968, not much over a year beyond the end of steam out of Waterloo. None ever carried blue/grey TTBOMK, presumably because their withdrawal was already anticipated when the livery was introduced.

However, the region did have a few Mk2 FKs that were green when new!

On the WR, IIRC, there were just three Hawksworth corridors that received the corporate colours. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

All Bulleid coaches remaining on the Southern Region disappeared by the end of 1968, not much over a year beyond the end of steam out of Waterloo. None ever carried blue/grey TTBOMK, presumably because their withdrawal was already anticipated when the livery was introduced.

However, the region did have a few Mk2 FKs that were green when new!

On the WR, IIRC, there were just three Hawksworth corridors that received the corporate colours. 

John

20 Mark 2 FKs were green when new. They mostly went blue/grey when converted to air brake around the time of the Bournemouth electrification or just after. One is the first carriage in this train:

24173898313_093732903a_c.jpgMN_Basingstoke_13-11-65 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

There were also about 50 in maroon when new.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks. Thinking back, it may have been a link on that thread that led to a photograph collection on Flickr that I saw.

If I ever got to the stage where my hands and eyes no longer work well enough to build things, I would still want a layout, OO and RTR based and on the grounds that modelling pre WW1 GCR/GNR/MR/LNWR is always likely to be difficult relying on RTR, I would very likely choose that period to work in. Things like 8Fs hauling MGR wagons and grotty Black 5s on rakes of blue/grey would at least be a bit out of the mainstream. I have never liked following the herd, so I usually look at what everybody else is doing and head somewhere else!  

Not sure 8Fs ever hauled MGR wagons (unless a few empties being moved between yards or off for repair) as they had no means of braking them and certainly couldn't operate at a controlled 0.5mph at the installed collieries and power stations.

7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Not sure 8Fs ever hauled MGR wagons (unless a few empties being moved between yards or off for repair) as they had no means of braking them and certainly couldn't operate at a controlled 0.5mph at the installed collieries and power stations.

You don’t need to have the automatic brake in use or have Daleks to open the doors and close them just it’s all done manually! 

West Blyth staiths only used Daleks to close the doors.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

image.png.72b28f07c8653e780289c81d08ac05e5.png

This appears elsewhere on RMWeb on this thread:

so I hope it is OK to copy it here. These are quite clearly loaded wagons being steam hauled. The original caption says it was at Morpeth.

There are other references on that thread to different steam types that have been seen hauling them.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Unidentified 9F 2-10-0 northbound at Springs Branch 1967, brand new 100 ton air braked tank wagons. There are several vacuum braked vans behind the 9F to form a fitted head, also a brake van at rear.

2013-01-15-15-45-55

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The early BR Freightliner trains had a small container that was provided for the guard. 

image.png.3cf750e9ead67faafdf7d01c4ef3d651.png

image.png.6293b8b6ded4f1c0d88e258092e9cb94.png

They were found not suitable  so a full brake was substituted usually behind the loco for the guard. At that time there was a union dispute re the guard riding in the rear cab which was later resolved. Not sure of the dates.

image.png.28047671d7661b0a7e4406eec50e4d9d.png

A Stanier full brake was often used. Not sure what the above coach is.

Brit15

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

The early BR Freightliner trains had a small container that was provided for the guard. 

image.png.3cf750e9ead67faafdf7d01c4ef3d651.png

image.png.6293b8b6ded4f1c0d88e258092e9cb94.png

They were found not suitable  so a full brake was substituted usually behind the loco for the guard. At that time there was a union dispute re the guard riding in the rear cab which was later resolved. Not sure of the dates.

image.png.28047671d7661b0a7e4406eec50e4d9d.png

A Stanier full brake was often used. Not sure what the above coach is.

Brit15

Dynamometer car?

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

1967_1_crop.jpg.81f0a4b2fe78b3f504b4b1a66c02786c.jpg

Like this, you mean? (crop of lousy pic of mine from Glasgow show. Only pic I could lay my hand on at the moment).

This is the alternative design of container guard's van - Barry O knows more about this than I do. This runs at the rear of the train - was this an alternative attempt to pacify the guards? Sorry my knowledge is very sketchy on such things (but always willing to learn). Note the humorous container that was being sold for the Glasgow show. I never go to any show without a pack of Uddingston's finest!

• Like 14