RMweb

Wright writes.....

Aha - wondered who was going to spot that!

It is Triang ... but have no idea what prototype it represents! Dad uses it as is converter vehicle, so it has a HD 'buckeye' type coupling one end (his standard coupling type) and a tension lock other end.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Aha - wondered who was going to spot that!

It is Triang ... but have no idea what prototype it represents! Dad uses it as is converter vehicle, so it has a HD 'buckeye' type coupling one end (his standard coupling type) and a tension lock other end.

The Tri-ang horsebox was sold like that after the acquisition of the HD business by Tri-ang's owners in a half-hearted attempt at creating compatibility between the two ranges.

It was quite an old model even then and could also be had in its earlier form with two tension-locks.

The general look is of a GWR prototype but the roof has a deeper curve to it. As pointed out a couple of posts ago Hornby has made a greatly improved representation in more recent times.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Tri-ang horsebox was sold like that after the acquisition of the HD business by Tri-ang's owners in a half-hearted attempt at creating compatibility between the two ranges.

It was quite an old model even then and could also be had in its earlier form with two tension-locks.

The general look is of a GWR prototype but the roof has a deeper curve to it. As pointed out a couple of posts ago Hornby has made a greatly improved representation in more recent times.

John

Ah yes, John, thanks.

I recall it had a Peco/HD coupling at one end and a tension-lock on the other.

Mine dated from the '50s, and had the earlier (non-tension-lock) style of Tri-ang coupling. As mentioned, the axleboxes were 'open', and the wheelsets (plastic) could move on the axle (why, I wonder?).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah yes, John, thanks.

I recall it had a Peco/HD coupling at one end and a tension-lock on the other.

Mine dated from the '50s, and had the earlier (non-tension-lock) style of Tri-ang coupling. As mentioned, the axleboxes were 'open', and the wheelsets (plastic) could move on the axle (why, I wonder?).

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, Tony, back when the underframes were diecast metal.

IIRC the Tri-ang "push through" axles had offset protrusions that locked one wheel to them, the other being free to rotate independently. 

I always assumed it was to stop the axles working their way out through the open axleboxes. However, it would also prevent the wheels fighting one another on the 13.5 inch radius curves of Tri-ang 's Standard and Series 3 track!

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Polybear

Indeed!

The GN Quad Arts have been right at the top of LNER Coaches in The 00 Wishlist Polls since 2013. They went into The Top 50 in 2018, staying there for 2019 also.

The Poll didn't run in 2020 and 2021 but, in 2022, they missed The Top 50 by only a handful of votes (and, it has to be said, The Poll content had been radically amended possibly changing 'the dynamics').

Taking my Poll Team hat off for a moment and speaking 'personally', I have just ordered the eight coaches that form Set No.85. They will sit nicely on my layout when running in 'Hitchin mode'.🙂

I will be interested to see how they cope with Radius 2 curves.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've received an email from Ellis Clark Trains to say they're planning to release a range of 00 Quad Arts later this year:

https://clarkrailworks.com/collections/quad-arts

The pictures suggest that the detail is amazing.

(No connections etc. etc.)

Way off my territory, but wow!

Any chance of an ex-LSWR Ironclad PP set as a follow up? 🙂

The RTR OO marketplace becomes yet more crowded....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Dunsignalling

...or more diverse (depending on one's viewpoint).🙂

Brian

Hornby didn't have enough shoulders to look back over even before this announcement....😉

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Someone brought this scratch-built GC example along.

That someone is me. Though it is not scratchbuilt, it is a kit which needed beading added and my less than perfect fitting of them is what makes it look scratchbuilt. I think it is a d&s kit. Happy to be corrected on that though. 
reading it through it sounds like I am saying that scratchbuilding is poor. Rather that my scratchbuilding does not look as good as something I have built from a kit.

richard 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, polybear said:

I've received an email from Ellis Clark Trains to say they're planning to release a range of 00 Quad Arts later this year:

https://clarkrailworks.com/collections/quad-arts

The pictures suggest that the detail is amazing.

(No connections etc. etc.)

Can anyone tell me which set i would  need for Biggleswade 1956 ? I believe there was a Hitchin to Sandy train which consisted of quad arts.

On 15/04/2023 at 13:03, Tony Wright said:

O4811.jpg.da3d417e21bfd9fc6420d4f16bd92169.jpg

Truly old fashioned frames, but an excellent runner. 

In updating or modifying older kits, has anyone experience of using the likes of Hornby or Bachmann wheels instead of Romfords or Gibson etc. In buying the buffers for my 04/8 from Peters Spares I was drawn to the other spares they provide for the O1. I'm impressed by the smooth running of my Hornby O1, so I've ordered a set of O1 driving wheels to try out, at £10 it must be worth a punt? I don't know how much a set of Romfords would cost?

1 hour ago, richard i said:

That someone is me. Though it is not scratchbuilt, it is a kit which needed beading added and my less than perfect fitting of them is what makes it look scratchbuilt. I think it is a d&s kit. Happy to be corrected on that though. 
reading it through it sounds like I am saying that scratchbuilding is poor. Rather that my scratchbuilding does not look as good as something I have built from a kit.

richard 

Thanks Richard,

I have so many pictures taken on Little Bytham of others' stock that it's hard to remember which is which. 

Anything scratch-built has particular appeal to me, though I no longer indulge in the process - too many good kits which are far better than my scratch-built efforts down the years, which included......... A1/1, A2/2, A2/3, B2 (Thompson), D49, K1, K1/1, K4 and O1, plus other adaptations. Apart from the K4 and the O1, all gone now. 

I think a better description of my scratch-built efforts might be - 'I built it and it got scratched'!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 60526 said:

In updating or modifying older kits, has anyone experience of using the likes of Hornby or Bachmann wheels instead of Romfords or Gibson etc. In buying the buffers for my 04/8 from Peters Spares I was drawn to the other spares they provide for the O1. I'm impressed by the smooth running of my Hornby O1, so I've ordered a set of O1 driving wheels to try out, at £10 it must be worth a punt? I don't know how much a set of Romfords would cost?

Good evening Charlie,

Probably worth a try. 

Since I buy my wheels in bulk from Markits, I don't know what individual drivers cost. Probably over £6.00 each?

Regards,

Tony. 

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Charlie,

Probably worth a try. 

Since I buy my wheels in bulk from Markits, I don't know what individual drivers cost. Probably over £6.00 each?

Regards,

Tony. 

I looked back at the GK article and noticed that he used the Bmann O4 as a donor chassis. I hadn't realised that Bmann had improved the spares on their website. A set of O4 wheels and rods is £22. https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/robinson-04-2-8-0/chassis?page=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1