Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Quite a few sellers seem very slow to learn that lesson, that the value of an item is not what you think it's worth, it's what you and another person can agree it is worth.

But, equally, if you pitch the starting price too low, and only one person bites, you'll never know what it could have made

Unless vendors are in a rush to shift, things, they can always rerun the item from a lower point later.

Of course , there's also the possibility that nobody might want it at any price!

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But, equally, if you pitch the starting price too low, and only one person bites, you'll never know what it could have made

Unless vendors are in a rush to shift, things, they can always rerun the item from a lower point later.

Of course , there's also the possibility that nobody might want it at any price!

John

You can always put a reserve price on it although it will cost you upfront.

I put things up for buy it now with offers enabled that way I only pay them when it sells and I can reduce the price and the lowest offer limit as it goes along if I get no offers. That way I control the sale, so far it's worked a treat.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Quite a few sellers seem very slow to learn that lesson, that the value of an item is not what you think it's worth, it's what you and another person can agree it is worth.

Cost, price, value - the eternal triangle.

Memories of Sayer Chaplin...........

Is it my imagination, but didn't guy Williams once use some parts to build a loco for Pendon in the early days? It could be (probably is) my ever-crumbling memory, but I seem to recall a mention in the MRC of decades ago.

Has anyone on here ever built one of their kits?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Memories of Sayer Chaplin...........

Is it my imagination, but didn't guy Williams once use some parts to build a loco for Pendon in the early days? It could be (probably is) my ever-crumbling memory, but I seem to recall a mention in the MRC of decades ago.

Has anyone on here ever built one of their kits?

There was an article in one of the MRJ compendia on building a Sayer-Chaplin LMS diesel shunter kit.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've never built a Sayer Chaplin kit - a bit before my time!

They were certainly an early exponent of the technology. I think they were quite collectible at one time, so presumably a complete kit would be of interest to a collector. No idea of the value though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ken Northwood of Torreyford fame (Modeller Oct 62 et al) built and ran several Sayer kits. Just to show how old they are, his modified hall from Sayer Chapman parts won an award at the Model Railway Engineering Exhibition in 1953. It had a Pitman motor, in the tender, driving the loco via Graham Farish UV joints so he could fill the loco with lead to haul the less than free running stock of the time.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That Acro 4F is a thing of beauty. Its certainly something that belies its age, maybe the only thing that points to the age is the Romford screw coupling on the front, which is just massive. 

I have to say I do like it, and its nice to have some real locos being built Tony (running for cover...)!

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall two or three of these vehicles stabled at York in the motorail siding (old platform 1) on a Saturday morning in the late 70s. I think they were used in the York - Inverness sleeper / motorail which operated on alternate nights usually hauled by a class 40. The only occasion I saw the train was on a winter’s morning when heavy snow delayed its arrival into York by about 4 hours. By then, the lower deck was out of action following an accident when a railway employee became trapped / crushed. Lovely models of an unusual prototype. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, polybear said:

A quick Google suggests the Heljan Car Transporters will only(?) be sold as a set of three, around £200.

Good morning Brian,

That would appear to be the case, especially in original maroon............

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter01.jpg.03b29d7800cb40c7dfdfeaf0fc42b26c.jpg

It's a beautifully-presented package.

Alternative couplings are supplied, and a bag of end-detail bits should the buyer wish to fit them (some of those bits get in the way of the tension-locks). 

One thing I didn't know is that the roof lights' positions varied between batches. These are catered for. 

My full review will be in BRM and a video of the train in action will appear on WOR.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

A couple or so more points regarding the 'Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier'............

Most of the prototype photographs I have of it show the southbound service, with the passenger accommodation at the rear (four Mk.1s, including a catering car). Does anyone know what these were, please (I don't have the relevant CWNs for the period)? Secondly, did they carry destination boards? 

Finally, if £200.00 is the price for a set of three of the Heljan models, what does a Southern Pride kit of one cost, please (if still available)?

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple or so more points regarding the 'Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier'............

Most of the prototype photographs I have of it show the southbound service, with the passenger accommodation at the rear (four Mk.1s, including a catering car). Does anyone know what these were, please (I don't have the relevant CWNs for the period)? Secondly, did they carry destination boards? 

Finally, if £200.00 is the price for a set of three of the Heljan models, what does a Southern Pride kit of one cost, please (if still available)?

Thanks in anticipation. 

Good Morning Tony

A quick search, and I found I asked you the same question on May 25th 2014! It was a BSO, FK, RU, and an FO.

Best Regards,

Lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks in anticipation. 

The SPM are just under £40 ea. The alternative to the SPM or Heljan is the Bachmann EFE versions announced a few months back. Werepoilt for choice.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Brian,

That would appear to be the case, especially in original maroon............

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter01.jpg.03b29d7800cb40c7dfdfeaf0fc42b26c.jpg

It's a beautifully-presented package.

Alternative couplings are supplied, and a bag of end-detail bits should the buyer wish to fit them (some of those bits get in the way of the tension-locks). 

One thing I didn't know is that the roof lights' positions varied between batches. These are catered for. 

My full review will be in BRM and a video of the train in action will appear on WOR.

Regards,

Tony. 

If you buy them to run on a layout then the packaging is rather irrelevant - other than for safe transport. However, this may be a further example of a product that is aimed at the collector market or to satisfy those who get the most pleasure out of buying and owning things.

Who will be first with an "unboxing video"? There's an opportunity for you, Tony.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

If you buy them to run on a layout then the packaging is rather irrelevant - other than for safe transport. However, this may be a further example of a product that is aimed at the collector market or to satisfy those who get the most pleasure out of buying and owning things.

Who will be first with an "unboxing video"? There's an opportunity for you, Tony.

i understand the need to protect items during shipping, but I don't like the trend toward lavish, bulky packaging that seems to be increasingly the norm with model railway products. As you say, probably driven by the collector market to a degree.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry Ten said:

i understand the need to protect items during shipping, but I don't like the trend toward lavish, bulky packaging that seems to be increasingly the norm with model railway products. As you say, probably driven by the collector market to a degree.

Totally OTT - if I bought them; (which I won't, having SP kits); the box would go in the bin.

Apart from anything else, I could store two or three times as many models in the space that box would occupy!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1