RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2023 at 10:21, Tony Wright said:

Interestingly (with the possible exception of Calderwood - please forgive me if I've forgotten which gauge it's in), none of the examples shown is modelled in 'mainstream' OO or N. I suppose it's because one needs to be a 'modeller' to contemplate making depictions of pre-Grouping times.

An interesting observation; apologies for coming late to this. I think that models of earlier prototypes often have more to gain in appearance from the finer standards - the difference is significantly more visible - plus modelling an inside-cylinder 0-6-0 or 4-4-0 in the finer standards does not present the clearance issues one has to face up to with outside valve gear!

For myself, my attempts at modelling pre-grouping are in 00; that is very much a compromise driven by the knowledge that if I attempted to build everything from the track up I would never get anywhere - but that's just me; plenty of others are masters of all the arts, and I profoundly admire what they achieve.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2023 at 17:55, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clive,

I don't know whether the 'super detail gang' constitutes a 'problem', other than if super-detailing compromises running (that's my opinion, anyway). 

I've said this before, but one of the great 'influencers' in this hobby, the late David Jenkinson, once said to me with regard to model-making 'Get as many prototype pictures as you can of the model you're making (a loco/carriage/wagon), taken from the equivalent of viewing your model at around 2' 6". Anything you can clearly see, incorporate. Anything you cannot see, even if you know it to be there, omit'. When asked (by someone else) why he didn't put every last detail on the underframes of the exquisite carriages he built, he said  'If the only way you can see all that detail is if your carriage derails, rolls down an embankment and lands upside down in a ditch, don't build a layout where this is likely to happen!'. Wise words indeed.

I've never been a super-detailer (indolence, lack of skill and speed of build being the principal reasons for this state). I very rarely incorporate items like sandpipes on the locos I build. Unless they're very-prominent. Prominent on something like a 'Schools', for instance........

SEFinecastSchools.jpg.ea3f748e9f3bfb56e1be7525ea12aaa8.jpg

Building this South Eastern Finecast 'Schools' (which Ian Rathbone painted for me), I suppose makes me something of a hypocrite, given what I've written above, but those boxes and pipes are really visible (from more than 2' 6" away). Further 'super-detailing' resulted in my fitting the rear bogie wheel splashers, the linkage for the cylinder drain cocks, the cocks themselves and the front steps (the last-mentioned hardly constitute 'super-detailing'). Fitting those little splashers, the cocks and the front steps dictated that I made the chassis as a sort of 'articulated 0-8-0', with very little bogie 'swing'. As it is, 3' is its minimum radius. 

However, where an RTR equivalent is expected to negotiate train set curves........

HornbySchools01.jpg.443afe26fa66b5fe0f0d5a7d0560cc14.jpg

As with this Hornby 'Schools', then things like the 'niceties' on my 'Schools' cannot be incorporated, though the sandpipes are there. 

I should add that my main reason for omitting sandpipes is their tendency to get bent out of alignment in transit, resulting in interference and/or causing stray shorts

What's incorporated now into the latest RTR models with regard to detail is staggering, much of it (as you allude to) almost impossible to see from 'normal' viewing angles. 

I reviewed this Rapido ex-SECR brake van some three months ago.............

RapidoSECRbrakevan02.jpg.017cd3e4498f908ae3de2364a504ad91.jpg

Does this 'qualify' for David Jenkinson's observation, I wonder?

RapidoSECRbrakevan05.jpg.ef5fc86b3caaed161c677da7e55704a9.jpg

Especially where one has to break the glue joint on the roof to be able to see inside! 

This amount of detail on this superb model is staggering. But, does it come now at a price? Not far off £40.00, if memory serves! 

Do current RTR manufacturers go to these lengths because of customer demand? Some 'modellers' I know wish a lot of fine detail were not present because it's too vulnerable. Or, they don't like the idea of having to fit bits themselves. I suppose manufacturers add it on because they can, such is the 'flexibility' in modern tooling suites. 

All I know is that the standard of detailing now on RTR models (even in N Gauge) is higher than many 'scale' models built by hand in the past. Indeed, most of mine! That said, I'm also very happy with my trainset which works, even though there's not a lot of RTR on it (other than loads of altered - though not super-detailed - Bachmann Mk.1s).

What do others think?

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony and everyone, on the subject of detailing and whether it's excessive or not (apologies I'm a little late in replying) I think it's a different answer for one's own kit building as opposed to RTR.

For kit building, I can't see that there can be a 'right' or 'wrong' - it must surely be whatever the builder wants to do! If fabricating and installing a large amount of very fine detail that will definitely be invisible without either dismantling the model or at the very least upending it makes the modeller happy, then where's the problem? The one possible issue is perhaps where a builder feels under peer pressure to include more detail than he would choose, in order to avoid negative comments, but hopefully we're none of us so much in fear of criticism that we would do that except perhaps occasionally?

For RTR, I believe it's almost entirely driven by a combination of market forces and manufacturing technology so again, considering whether it's 'right' or 'wrong' seems no more useful than considering whether it's right or wrong to live with inflation, planned obsolescence or increasingly multi-functional mobile phones - so the answer to your question tony about whether the extra detail is there to meet customer demand is 'yes'.

We - humans - have allowed this commerical system to grow up around us and this is the sort of stuff it now produces; it - the system - doesn't look as if it's going to change any time soon, so we need to exercise the same sort of choices in RTR as we do in kit building decisions and buy things with the amount of detail we actually want. Caveats there too, of course: if an RTR model someone particularly wants comes out but has more fragile detail than desired, the choice becomes more limited. The RTR practice of supplying models with detailing parts not fitted, so that the buyer can choose what to fit and what to omit seems a very sensible compromise, though as you note Tony, some dislike that too.

I say that RTR is almost entirely driven by a combination of market forces and manufacturing technology because I think there's also a human hobbyist element at play here too: I imagine there must be some manufacturers who get genuinely excited about being able to offer punters more and finer detail and who see their manufacturing machinery or factories in a similar way to the way a modeller sees his workbench, as something to be used to achieve ever higher standards. Some of the smaller boutique brands certainly seem to take genuine pride in the levels of realism they achieve and that seems very similar to a modeller's pride in something he built himself: perhaps that's the healthiest or the nicest type of RTR extra detailing?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Tony and everyone, here are some photos of a project I've just completed, a fairly vintage RAI-MO kit of two KWStE wagons - a little further East in origin than the ECML, but I hope still of interest:

RAI-MOKWStEwagons20230913(1)finalnoload.jpg.87b4e8e48d0d71161646f04e80071263.jpg

RAI-MOKWStEwagons20240925(1)withloadfinal.jpg.284fae746e3d8896ad08964059d14880.jpg

RAI-MOKWStEwagons20240925(5)withloadfinal.jpg.5e318bdf280177524e86c6156d1404e1.jpg

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/09/2023 at 21:21, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of pre-Grouping layouts............

A selection I've photographed..........

AddisonRoad07.jpg.f0bec56b37e9f244b632d4cac82f7507.jpg

AddisonRoad20.jpg.481a553838023115d6196d528d583786.jpg

Kensington Addison Road in O.

Ambergate006.jpg.bf6c6e017c3ddb08d01be1e3dc5105fa.jpg

Ambergate in EM (now in P4).

Blackfriars02.jpg.eca5e6629c05a58d7be1928fa15d1dfe.jpg

Blackfriars (under construction in P4).

Bridgwater20RM.jpg.daf2f4cd9f145b431cfb24b5ea8abf4f.jpg

Bridgwater in O.

Buckingham08.jpg.0224dc6a962fac45540edbb7a3842aa1.jpg

Buckingham in EM.

Burntisland03.jpg.64f123c1a57ad6cfc7a0bfdca453f254.jpg

Burntisland06.jpg.57c25a014fea24c27fdd1d472ebeeecf.jpg

Burntisland in P4.

Calderwood01.jpg.92c09d338c0e6bd5883458d13248cbfe.jpg

Calderwood in, I think, EM.

CopenhagenFields30.jpg.9c2946ae5544856874ed5465de4c4433.jpg

Copenhagen Fields in 2mm FS (the earlier trains on this depict pre-1923).

DewsburyS701.jpg.e364d17968ce9c26415095369626069d.jpg

Dewsbury in S7.

Dollgelley08.jpg.191ad1b334ba1fb8ea60cf45a7c59be4.jpg

Dollgelley in O.

EdingtonJunction01.jpg.2a99a7896835200f38c5cdf7eb8f4076.jpg

Edington Junction in O.

GWRBroadGauge01.jpg.6d05b3b7b3293156c10c3557dda9d042.jpg

GWR broad gauge in 7mm.

HopeUnderDinmore02.jpg.eed77d250f7b2d6a954fed645b72cf59.jpg

Hope Under Dinmore in EM

LondonRoad04.jpg.704c69367151509aafaa4bbe8810972b.jpg

London Road in P4.

OgdenFold01.jpg.dc13c72c463a5351eabef74ba83f5f10.jpg

Ogden Fold in P4.

StGeorgesHill0Gauge03.jpg.202e73ee586e7754b9516d0108663fc1.jpg

St. George's Hill in O. 

Interestingly (with the possible exception of Calderwood - please forgive me if I've forgotten which gauge it's in), none of the examples shown is modelled in 'mainstream' OO or N. I suppose it's because one needs to be a 'modeller' to contemplate making depictions of pre-Grouping times.

Absolutely super set of photos there Tony. For us colonials so far away from the UK layout scene these are great to see. Thanks for sharing. Andy R NZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy R said:

Absolutely super set of photos there Tony. For us colonials so far away from the UK layout scene these are great to see. Thanks for sharing. Andy R NZ

Thanks Andy,

I'm glad you liked them.

I've probably got more pre-Grouping layout images (or shots of layouts with models in pre-Grouping condition), so I'll have a further look.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

After taking the pictures of Hornby's 61576 yesterday, I thought - that looks familiar..........

And it was..............

Peterborough04.jpg.1b74cde6245427c01bdc7b4b933aba3b.jpg

I'd built exactly the same locomotive for Gilbert Barnatt some 20 years ago for service on his original loft-based layout. 

I made it from a Crownline kit (later, PDK) and Ian Rathbone painted it.

At some point, it appears to have lost its front numberplate.

Whether it ever got a replacement, I don't know..............

B1261576.jpg.0ddb883c67e53dd667f11675b8c50645.jpg

But it's still running strong on his Peterborough North layout. 

Mr Rathbone's painting is superb!

And...........

B1261576ElySouth1958.jpg.0b1497bdd361d7290a3d58b07fe012ce.jpg

Here's the prototype; at Ely in 1958.

Please observe copyright restrictions on the last image. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2023 at 21:57, Chas Levin said:

I imagine there must be some manufacturers who get genuinely excited about being able to offer punters more and finer detail and who see their manufacturing machinery or factories in a similar way to the way a modeller sees his workbench, as something to be used to achieve ever higher standards. Some of the smaller boutique brands certainly seem to take genuine pride in the levels of realism they achieve and that seems very similar to a modeller's pride in something he built himself: perhaps that's the healthiest or the nicest type of RTR extra detailing?

That's evidently the case. The point has been made repeatedly, though it seems to fall on deaf ears, is that all that extra detail - such as brake van interiors, to pick one example - costs next to nothing; just the CAD designer's time - and they're an enthusiast who isn't being paid an enormous salary. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

That's evidently the case. The point has been made repeatedly, though it seems to fall on deaf ears, is that all that extra detail - such as brake van interiors, to pick one example - costs next to nothing; just the CAD designer's time - and they're an enthusiast who isn't being paid an enormous salary. 

I don't quite follow that!

When increased prices are queried, we are told that the market demands ever more visible detail, and it all costs.

However, when we query invisible detail, we are told that it costs next-to-nothing.

Do the Chinese ladies stick in and paint all those extra internal details free-of-charge?

Frankly, such statements are nonsense; ever more detail, visible or not, is provided in order to out-do the competition - it's a form of arms race!

I had hoped that this pointless competition would have stopped before we got into invisible additions - but it seems that I was over-optimistic!

Toilet rolls in the lavatory compartments, anyone? Who will be the first?

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

When increased prices are queried, we are told that the market demands ever more visible detail, and it all costs.

However, when we query invisible detail, we are told that it costs next-to-nothing.

Do the Chinese ladies stick in and paint all those extra internal details free-of-charge?

Frankly, such statements are nonsense; ever more detail, visible or not, is provided in order to out-do the competition - it's a form of arms race!

I had hoped that this pointless competition would have stopped before we got into invisible additions - but it seems that I was over-optimistic!

CJI.

No of course the Chinese do not paint the interior for nothing. But if they do 100 in an hour - which I suspect is close to the truth - the extra cost will be of the order of 7p per wagon.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I wonder whether this might be one of those cases of a single amount that seems tiny to us being seen as significant by a large company's accountants, because it's incurred so many times and adds up to a significant total?

In which case both of your statements John are true: extra detail does cost - in the aggregate - but it also costs next to nothing on an individual model...

• Like 2

I think what is telling is the price of older tooled models has also increased.

HAA Hoppers are the best example, the old Hornby versions being sold at the same price of those from Accurascale. Despite the Accurascale version being superior in terms of the amount of detail present.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I mentioned some little time ago that I'm conducting a series for BRM highlighting 'budget modelling'. 

I've acquired some 'tatty' OO locos and stock at very cheap prices (thanks Elaine) with a view to tidying them up, improving them, detailing them to turn them (I hope) into 'presentable' models.

However, what does one do with something like this?

Ridiculousbrakevan.jpg.7e138d013cb8c30f91ce3e905ca438da.jpg

This was given to me by Elaine of Elaine's Trains. I wonder who thought this was a good idea?

Anyway, as well as buying some low-cost models from her, I also bought this.........

HornbyB1261576studio.jpg.804fce27df21507c0097655de72efb43.jpg

A second-hand Hornby B12/3. The previous owner had done nothing to it, other than install a decoder in the tender; meaning it was DCC 'On-Board'. All for £75.00! 

I certainly think this qualifies as 'budget modelling', given that it's such an excellent model at source. 

Guess what was the first thing I did? Yes, get rid of the decoder (a Hattons' one - I assume that it's at the 'low-cost' end of chips?). 

And the second thing? Fix all the extra bits supplied by Hornby. 

Photographing this, set me thinking. With the discussion regarding RTR or kit-building, what about this below for a comparison?

PDKB1261530studio.jpg.b6408d4cd10039c7685832cc5a9b2699.jpg

I built this from a PDK kit which Ian Rathbone painted.

How does it compare? Well, from the 'cost' aspect, £75.00 wouldn't buy the drive which is in this! Then there's the cost of all the other components, plus the painting price. 

If anything, the Hornby driving wheels have better-looking spokes than the Markits ones under this. 

Of course I've had the 'pleasure' of making this model, which is difficult to put a price on. 

And, on the layout.............

HornbyB1261576onlayout01.jpg.adf4f550923d81bfc75e2627447de8a2.jpg

I've added lamps, a crew and put real coal in the tender. 

PDKB1261530onlayout01.jpg.fc8569c92319bd50d926d5c6ca0ad345.jpg

Which are pre-requisites for any loco I build/modify.

HornbyB1261576onlayout02.jpg.c8c51603824bf9e0c4e6d1da03c66ef6.jpg

The Hornby one is a bit 'bulled-up' in comparison, though I do have a picture of 61576 with brass beading on the splashers (though I'm not sure about the highlighted hinge straps or dart). Anyway, it'll be renumbered to a South Lynn-allocated B12 and weathered. 

PDKB1261530onlayout02.jpg.8cb6fb0c6af817b07a30cfe812510274.jpg

There are two things where I think the Hornby B12 doesn't compare quite so well. It doesn't have the subtlety of Ian's painting (which is exquisite) and it can't take 'The Leicester', which is loaded to nine cars, six of which are metal kit-builds. This one, being packed with ballast, has no trouble. 

I would also add that the small details do not seem anywhere near as good as your model. Yes, the overall Hornby model is very nice, and the body very good, but guard irons are too thick and plasticky as are the details ahead of the splashers, which are not helped by being picked out in red. Similarly for the brake gear.

It may be an optical illusion but the front bogie wheels also look too wide compared with your PDK kit. The cab glazing is made to be handled and not break but doesn’t have the subtlety of your build.

Small details like the wire from the side of the boiler are rarely fitted to RTR locos, and are difficult to add to a plastic model.

Such details are easier to fit and stronger when made of metal and can be soldered on, so part of the comparison is the benefits of working with brass and metals compared with plastic.

Ian Rathbones’ painting does make a huge difference as you say.

I do have a Hornby B12, and think it is a lovely model, but compared with your build it doesn’t have character, and somehow feels too precise compared to the original engines which had a lifetime of wear. It is a nice model to start detailing though.

I bought it second hand missing a guard iron, so rather than adding one replacement, make new ones for both sies would be an improvement. Personally, on the plus side, but definitely a negative for Tony, it has a quite an expensive DCC sound chip fitted and sounds great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

No of course the Chinese do not paint the interior for nothing. But if they do 100 in an hour - which I suspect is close to the truth - the extra cost will be of the order of 7p per wagon.

That might be the cost to Hornby etc., but what does it cost us, the Customer by the time it's used as an excuse to jack the price up?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

That would require modelling tissue in the four foot... and I’m certainly not going to that level of detail!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Can’t agree with this. I’ve never heard it definitively claimed by any manufacturer that the improved detail is responsible for the increase in prices.  Instead it is fat more reasonable to believe that the price increases are as a result of increased manufacturing costs in China and other countries rather than a bit more plastic used/ design time.

look around, cost of everything manufactured in China has risen.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Kitmaster coaches - or to be pedantic, the Peco interiors - had detailed toilets which couldn't be seen behind frosted windows. Now that must have been late 50s?

Still using some of the Peco parts myself. Toilets still on the card. NO point in making them up, or the luggage racks!

Mike Wiltshire

PecoToilet.jpg.367b33e059bd9f0b7f343b1aef6e85af.jpg

• Like 7