Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

29 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Good morning Tony, 

That's an interesting question, I personally find words and the way they're used fascinating, and fun!

I think the plural should be Flying Scotsmans......You have far more experience and expertise in these matters than me but, to my mind at least, the subject(s) is/are an object that happens to be identified as Flying Scotsman rather than a person with wings from Scotland if you can understand my explanation! That's the way my mind works I'm afraid! 

Best wishes,

Jim.

Good morning Jim,

You're right, words are fascinating.

Ian Rathbone and I once discussed the plural of DUCHESS OF MONTROSE, seeing there were so many thousands made by Hornby Dublo in the '50s. I think we decided it should be DUCHESSES OF MONTROSE, though should CITY OF LONDON's (the eventual two-rail version) plural be CITIES OF LONDON or CITY OF LONDONS? I think the former.

All fascinating stuff.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Subtly redesigned to keep within 13' 0" height (to maximise network compatibility). Inside the clothing is the same boiler as Tornado - they will be interchangeable. Smokebox on No.2007 is longer to accommodate. All hidden under cladding - visually it will look like No.2001 (in original condition)

Many thanks for that, I was aware that the boiler/firebox  was the same as Tornado's. I just find it somewhat ironic that what is essentially a Thompson combination of firebox and boiler, should find itself in a replica Gresley engine.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

42 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Many thanks for that, I was aware that the boiler/firebox  was the same as Tornado's. I just find it somewhat ironic that what is essentially a Thompson combination of firebox and boiler, should find itself in a replica Gresley engine.

I just find it somewhat ironic, that without the skills, knowledge and experience of the East Germans, there would not be boilers in either of them. 😃

Bernard

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I just find it somewhat ironic, that without the skills, knowledge and experience of the East Germans, there would not be boilers in either of them. 😃

Bernard

Not necessarily true. Plenty of places can build boilers.

The Unknown Warrior has a UK built boiler, built in all places Huyton in Liverpool!

https://heritageboilersteamservices.co.uk/projects

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard

Erm.. you can get a boiler in the uk.. andvit doesn't have to be kept "warm" to stop it trying to self deconstruct...

Leeds and Bradford Boiler Co  has supplied a few boilers over the years  and others have been set up to do the work.

And.. of  course.. they build very large pressure vessels in Barrow in Furness..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Camperdown said:

>Didn't Jim Russell build exquisite GWR rolling stock, yet collect vintage tinplate, often restoring it?

Not sure about Jim Russell, but Jim Whittaker did, and did a regular feature in Model Railways about restoring tinplate.

Thanks,

I got the wrong Jim, I think.

Regards,

Tony. 

2 hours ago, Pebbles said:

But the Thompson/Peppercorn boilers were based on the original shortened P2 boiler of the A2/2s.

Thus, boiler, dome (perforated steam collector type/Peppercorn), double Kylchap and 50' grate/firebox, all Gresley. 

2007 is really a Gresley engine in just about every detail, adapted/improved for the 21st Century. It really owes little to either Thompson or Peppercorn. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not necessarily true. Plenty of places can build boilers.

The Unknown Warrior has a UK built boiler, built in all places Huyton in Liverpool!

https://heritageboilersteamservices.co.uk/projects

Jason

I did put a smiley face.

Of course I know that you can get UK built boilers.

However the people behind the locomotives in question chose not to.

Why would you, when all the design and testing work has been done in producing this?

For many years the fastest stem locomotive in the world.😀

Bernard

00230108.JPG.1fd5a3928fe8d0e31d127ace84112672.JPG

• Like 8

On a slightly lighter note, the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust was responsible for introducing a new word into the German language. When redesigning the rivetted dia. 118 boiler into an all-welded design (designated dia. 118a), the Germans were completely stumped by the perforated steam collector feature and had to design it from scratch, with full FEA etc. The drawings thus carried the legend 'Banjodom for UK'.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

But the Thompson/Peppercorn boilers were based on the original shortened P2 boiler of the A2/2s.

Thus, boiler, dome (perforated steam collector type/Peppercorn), double Kylchap and 50' grate/firebox, all Gresley. 

2007 is really a Gresley engine in just about every detail, adapted/improved for the 21st Century. It really owes little to either Thompson or Peppercorn. 

Regards,

Tony.

I would like someone to point to any Gresley engine with a 50sq ft grate/firebox mated to a 17ft boiler combination. Gresley used the 17ft boiler on his V2  mated to a 41.25sq ft grate/ firebox. In the case of the A4s a18ft boiler was used; the reduction of 1ft from the 19ft of the A3s being taken up by a 1ft extension of the 41.25sq ft grate/firebox, incorporating a so called combustion chamber. Gresley did used a 18ft boiler on 2006 mated to a 50sq ft, again the reduction from 19ft boiler used on the other P2s being the incorporation of a combustion chamber. The only other instance was the rebuilt W1 which from memory had  a 19ft boiler? mated to a 50sq ft grate/firebox. Gresley paid great attention to fuel economy and it would appear that the experience at top shed retaining/favouring their A3s and A4s with the 41.25sq ft grate/ firebox. bears testimony to this. Fuel economy is not just saving fuel, it means less work for the fireman.

I was specific, a 17ft boiler mated to a 50sq ft grate/firebox was not Gresley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Johnson said:

Sorry if this restarts the Airfix debate, but attached is an old price list showing the rail kits available in the 1960s. As you can see I purchased very few (the ticked ones), but I had lots of aircraft kits.

Airfix rail kits.pdf 446.87 kB · 14 downloads

Website here if you are interested in Airfix/Kitmaster railways.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/index.htm

When I was buying them "new" in the late 1970s very few were still available. Some locos, 16T mineral, ESSO tanker, cattle wagon, meat van and brake van. I never saw any of the others.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I did put a smiley face.

Of course I know that you can get UK built boilers.

However the people behind the locomotives in question chose not to.

Why would you, when all the design and testing work has been done in producing this?

For many years the fastest stem locomotive in the world.😀

Bernard

00230108.JPG.1fd5a3928fe8d0e31d127ace84112672.JPG

Seen faster, back in 1988, a streamlined blue one, with slightly slower blue on at Stratford on Avon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jim,

You're right, words are fascinating.

Ian Rathbone and I once discussed the plural of DUCHESS OF MONTROSE, seeing there were so many thousands made by Hornby Dublo in the '50s. I think we decided it should be DUCHESSES OF MONTROSE, though should CITY OF LONDON's (the eventual two-rail version) plural be CITIES OF LONDON or CITY OF LONDONS? I think the former.

All fascinating stuff.

Regards,

Tony.  

Proper nouns do not change their spelling in the plural, thus  Merchant Navys, West Countrys and Countys are all correct although my iPad doesn’t like it. Where it is ‘something of something’ I suppose either part can be plural. 

Ian R

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

On a slightly lighter note, the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust was responsible for introducing a new word into the German language. When redesigning the rivetted dia. 118 boiler into an all-welded design (designated dia. 118a), the Germans were completely stumped by the perforated steam collector feature and had to design it from scratch, with full FEA etc. The drawings thus carried the legend 'Banjodom for UK'.

Another oddity was that 18201 at some point in time aquired a dial in the cab that was of English origin. I cannot remember the name of the company, but I have a video by Bob Symes where the name is clealy visible.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Iain.d said:

I’m not sure if my latest completions fit the ‘brought back to life’ brief (of a couple of weeks back) or the ‘modelling on a budget’ brief initiated a few pages back. Either way, I’ve refurbished another pair of 30 year old Parkside Dundas wagons – a PC25 13T LNER 5 Plank Open and a PC28 BR 12T Shock Open.

When doing this type of modelling, I initially begin by trying to take them back to their individual pieces and then clean up the mouldings, remove any mouldings or detail that I intend to replace with better quality components, drill the required holes for additional detail and so forth. Sometimes I’m fortunate and they disassemble easily, other times the glue bonds remain strong. This was the case with the LNER 5 plank open, only the brake levers were easily removed (along with the wheels) so actions such as drilling out the brake hangers to take the cross rods was done with them still in place, a touch awkward but doable.

ParksideDundasPC25LNER13T5PlankOpen(01).jpg.22bd70101f440b4e0c577750dcd88177.jpg

I made up the brake safety loops from left over offcuts of .45mm nickel wire and door bangers from fret waste and vacuum pipes from left over .8mm brass rod and wrapped with a strand of stripped electrical wire.

The Shock wagon came apart more easily, and as I wasn’t sure what I would ‘load’ it with, I decided to cut out the sub floor and replace it with about 35g of lead sheet. I replaced the tie bars with left over thin brass strip.

ParksideDundasPC28BRShockOpen(01).jpg.88d44a5e86e8c558759fa8670911ef2b.jpg

On both wagons I was able to drill through the buffer shanks with a .5mm drill and then partway through (about 90%) with a .9mm drill so that Alan Gibson spring buffer heads could be fitted.

ParksideDundasPC25LNER13T5PlankOpenParksideDundasPC28BRShockOpen(02).jpg.3417c8efdcadfde14276dba3bcb1cb34.jpg

And the right way up…

ParksideDundasPC25LNER13T5PlankOpenParksideDundasPC28BRShockOpen(03).jpg.70b3b995663798ec6793f0f725346bb3.jpg

They’re both finished in Railmatch Freight Stock Bauxite 2235, transfers by CCT and weathered with a light wash and some dry brushing. I have tried to represent the interiors as unpainted using a variety of Vallejo acrylic ‘wood colours’, a brown wash and some dry brushing.

ParksideDundasPC25LNER13T5PlankOpenParksideDundasPC28BRShockOpen(04).jpg.c8eea90d3dc3c1f27ac72828fb596448.jpg

I decided to load the 5 plank open with a Bachmann container, with some lead glued inside it. Both will have instanter couplings fitted once they arrive from Rumney Models.

ParksideDundasPC25LNER13T5PlankOpenParksideDundasPC28BRShockOpen(06).jpg.b7f02fad43e3a06a7d09352703d576a3.jpg

A few hours of quite enjoyable modelling done over a number of weeks.

Kind regards,

Iain

Very fine work, Iain. Do you airbrush your wagons?

All the best,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
Typo

My English Master would have insisted that , if you are referring to several versions of a single name/identity e.g CITY OF LONDON, the name remains in the singular and all the various examples are "CITY OF LONDON's"  It was always a good idea to agree with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, rowanj said:

My English Master would have insisted that , if you are referring to several versions of a single name/identity e.g CITY OF LONDON, the name remains in the singular and all the various examples are "CITY OF LONDON's"  It was always a good idea to agree with him.

But NO apostrophe!

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

22 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Another oddity was that 18201 at some point in time aquired a dial in the cab that was of English origin. I cannot remember the name of the company, but I have a video by Bob Symes where the name is clealy visible.

Bernard

Wasn't Budenberg by any chance was it? Sounds German; based in Manchester. I remember Fred Dibnah popping in there once (by traction engine, of course) on one of his programmes!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

This is a difficult question to answer. For example, should we write City of Truros or Cities of Truro? Neither feels right.

Cities of Truri. I know where the door is..

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Very fine work, Iain. Do you airbrush your wagons?

All the best,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your kind comment, no they're all brush painted and then brush varnished.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 13:09, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Collectors or Modellers !! If you've got more than two loco's........................... you're a Collector, even if you run them.

Terry. Aka manna

I'm not.  I was in discussion with an insurance company regarding cover for my model railway,   I saw the model railway as a whole, it never occurred to me that it was a collection of rollingstock, track, buildings etc. etc. which is what they suggested.

Mark in Melbourne

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 07/10/2023 at 12:51, Mark Laidlay said:

Here's the brass version, there's one for sale in Melbourne currently - the seller seems to be looking for $6,000AUD.  It's not selling, yet.  image.png.349a92543df1be15fa5b405696a8b165.pngI won't be buying it.  At least the tender wheels aren't green...

I  recognise that backdrop! Their sold gallery has hundreds of locomotives listed.

https://brassdepartment.com/gallery/

DSC_7374.jpg

DSC_7378.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 9