Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

7 hours ago, maico said:

To distinguish between a place and a thing it should be City of London locomotives. The man on the top of the Clapham omnibus would look askance at anyone saying "City of Londons" in reference to an object....

Said bloke would easily recognise that there were only a few cities named 'London'.

Edited by billbedford
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 08/10/2023 at 21:54, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Terry,

Did the LNER ever own a 4-4-0T?

Regards,

Tony.

Actually, yes they did; they inherited 33 Drummond-designed 4-4-0T's from the North British Railway; the three strong "D50" class and the 30-strong "D51" class.

Neither class was popular due to small coal capacity; the D50's were gone by 1926, and the D51's were withdrawn on a steady basis from the Grouping until the last ones went in 1933.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

Actually, yes they did; they inherited 33 Drummond-designed 4-4-0T's from the North British Railway; the three strong "D50" class and the 30-strong "D51" class.

Neither class was popular due to small coal capacity; the D50's were gone by 1926, and the D51's were withdrawn on a steady basis from the Grouping until the last ones went in 1933.

Good morning,

Many thanks. 

I should have checked, of course.

The model in question didn't look like either class, though.

Interestingly (and this is not a criticism), you've put an apostrophe in the locos' classifications, as does the RCTS, and several other publishers. This has been discussed before, and I think it's wrong. An apostrophe after the class is either to denote possession or a missing letter, neither of which is relevant here in my opinion. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, MJI said:

I find lack of commas annoying, and can cause confusion.

The main one is on a few ands, or ors.

Missing the one before the and, or the or. Changes the meaning of the sentence .

Stations between Birmingham and Bristol include, Worcester, Cheltenham,  and Gloucester.

Remove the last comma and it reads like it is one station for the two towns.

I was going to comment, but JamesSpooner got in first.

Most people use everyday English and are sufficiently aware of the peculiarities of the English language to know that there is a pause, without the need to actually put in a punctuation mark, such as the Oxford or serial comma, before the last item in a list.

For some reason the good folk at Oxford seem to want to plough their own furrow. I have also come across it being used by people from a university in one of the old colonies.

In short people who use it fall into two camps. The elite and the thick.

Apologies for the construction of the above piece. I was told once that i could write a good report......... For an Engineer. I also live in a household where German is probably more commonly spoken than English.

Bernard

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Two more new Hornby locomotives just in for review.............

HornbyTurbomotiveR3013401.jpg.3f7e620f938410069b1ce0b907edc689.jpg

The Turbomotive as it first appeared, with domeless boiler. 

HornbyTurbomotiveR3013501.jpg.4cfd664cd540da1ac6a7ff201f5d1473.jpg

And its final BR manifestation before it was rebuilt into PRINCESS ANNE. I've added the extra bits supplied to this one. 

It makes an interesting comparison with...........

BrianLeestock26Turbomotive04.jpg.717800a7e75373410126cd59fa481b4b.jpg

This scratch-built TURBOMOTIVE from the late Brian Lee's collection which I mechanically rebuilt.

Full reviews of both the Hornby Turbomotives will be appearing soon in BRM.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Tony I know you are a great proponent of kit and scratchuilding and hope this effort might be ok in this thread. It has taken me over a year to get this far in part due to my own challenges, but its got to the stage where it is starting to look better. Yes its not a perfect ready to run, but its unique and I can say every bit has been cut, filed and put together by me. 

This is the cab for rebuilt D20/2 2020. I have worked from the original drawings, I must be mad as each cab side contains 17 parts if you include the handrail knobs and wite. Next will come cutting the slots in the front for the wheel spasher and then starting to attach it onto the running plate which may yet need a couple more attempts with the piercing saw to get something satisfactory.

pro-OKYNjxJd.jpeg.ffa47dafe06b02fa3c87fb270fb3dac0.jpegpro-Krdg9lsp.jpeg.fe34e5eab2edf63f2df6a33681803c73.jpeg

It may be slow but it is so satisfying even this far. 

Splendid scratch-building! 

Unless more like this is done, it runs the risk of becoming a dying art. 

Please keep us informed of progress.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Splendid scratch-building! 

Unless more like this is done, it runs the risk of becoming a dying art. 

Please keep us informed of progress.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for your kind words. I will post updates when they happen. Getting better has taken years and lots of errors and things just not that good. Ironicly the first firebox and boiler I made was for a Crownline A2/3 as Honeyway.  Possibly due to my ADHD tendencies I have all sorts on the go as when things get hard I flit to another one and then come back. I shaped the running plate this evening for under the cab so it might progress now I've finally got the cab together and got a tender kit at a good price of Ebay..

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Tony I know you are a great proponent of kit and scratchuilding and hope this effort might be ok in this thread. It has taken me over a year to get this far in part due to my own challenges, but its got to the stage where it is starting to look better. Yes its not a perfect ready to run, but its unique and I can say every bit has been cut, filed and put together by me. 

This is the cab for rebuilt D20/2 2020. I have worked from the original drawings, I must be mad as each cab side contains 17 parts if you include the handrail knobs and wite. Next will come cutting the slots in the front for the wheel spasher and then starting to attach it onto the running plate which may yet need a couple more attempts with the piercing saw to get something satisfactory.

pro-OKYNjxJd.jpeg.ffa47dafe06b02fa3c87fb270fb3dac0.jpegpro-Krdg9lsp.jpeg.fe34e5eab2edf63f2df6a33681803c73.jpeg

It may be slow but it is so satisfying even this far. 

Nothing better than a D20. Well done.

However be aware that the original drawings were destroyed in a fire and the archive drawings were made according to the current practice at the time and not how the locomotives were originally  built. DJH fell into this trap.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

6202 always ran with that cover at the front end open - as in the scratcbuilt one.

Thanks Mike,

As you've probably realised, that cover can be open or closed on the Hornby models (a testament to how much is incorporated now into RTR locos). On the scratch-built one it's permanently open.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/10/2023 at 23:59, manna said:

G'Day Folks

An Apostrophe, is only a Comma, that is above it's station !

Terry, Aka manna.

This is the other one that bugs me. Its or it’s. The possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe, thus his, hers, its, ours, yours, theirs. It’s means it is.

Sorry for the pedantry.

Ian R

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2023 at 08:28, Bernard Lamb said:

I was going to comment, but JamesSpooner got in first.

Most people use everyday English and are sufficiently aware of the peculiarities of the English language to know that there is a pause, without the need to actually put in a punctuation mark, such as the Oxford or serial comma, before the last item in a list.

For some reason the good folk at Oxford seem to want to plough their own furrow. I have also come across it being used by people from a university in one of the old colonies.

In short people who use it fall into two camps. The elite and the thick.

Apologies for the construction of the above piece. I was told once that i could write a good report......... For an Engineer. I also live in a household where German is probably more commonly spoken than English.

Bernard

As a programmer,  i understand the ease of getting things wrong, that brackets must be done correctly.

If it is misreadable, make it readable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

This is the other one that bugs me. Its or it’s. The possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe, thus his, hers, its, ours, yours, theirs. It’s means it is.

Sorry for the pedantry.

Ian R

So if you are writing about a station and its forecourt, it's the station's forecourt but if you are writing about the same station forecourt and referring to it as its forecourt, it doesn't have an apostrophe.

It has never seemed to me to be very consistent and I can understand why people get it wrong sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

So if you are writing about a station and its forecourt, it's the station's forecourt but if you are writing about the same station forecourt and referring to it as its forecourt, it doesn't have an apostrophe.

It has never seemed to me to be very consistent and I can understand why people get it wrong sometimes.

True. But it is consistent - possessive pronouns never have an apostrophe, ever.

Ian R

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

True. But it is consistent - possessive pronouns never have an apostrophe, ever.

Ian R

Wrong Ian. The apostrophe was used up to 16th and 17th centuries but fell out of use round about then.

According to Merrian Webster anyway.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Wrong Ian. The apostrophe was used up to 16th and 17th centuries but fell out of use round about then.

According to Merrian Webster anyway.

Ah, Tony you’re not paying attention. I said never have, not never had. Anyway, Webster was American, rubbish at spelling.

Time to get back to modelling topics!

Ian R

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

The easiest way to remember the 'it's' or 'its' problem is to think that 'it's' is really short for 'it is', or occasionally 'it has', as in 'it's got three wheels' which is really 'it has got three wheels'. So try substituting 'it is' for 'its' and see if it makes sense.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Ah, Tony you’re not paying attention. I said never have, not never had. Anyway, Webster was American, rubbish at spelling.

Time to get back to modelling topics!

Ian 

I did read once that when we chastise the Americans for dropping the "u" from so many words that it is they who have just kept the original spelling and us that added the "u" later.

If I can pick up an old book to do some research and it has the possessive it's, isn't that still current?

I am posting this waiting for my soldering iron to change temperature to do some low melt soldering, so modelling is happening!

Cheers and hopefully see you soon, although you will be very much missed at Missenden.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 5

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I did read once that when we chastise the Americans for dropping the "u" from so many words that it is they who have just kept the original spelling and us that added the "u" later.

If I can pick up an old book to do some research and it has the possessive it's, isn't that still current?

I am posting this waiting for my soldering iron to change temperature to do some low melt soldering, so modelling is happening!

Cheers and hopefully see you soon, although you will be very much missed at Missenden.

Best wishes

Tony

Thank you Tony, I shall (or is it will?) miss the Missenden weekend. Best wishes to you too.

Ian

• Funny 1

I'm very much a lurker on here slowly plugging away with my small EM layout . I'm currently building a pair of Eveleigh Creation Great Eastern six wheel brake thirds. The bodies are pretty much complete and I am moving on to the chassis, an enjoyable build. Here is progress so far.

20231006_195313.jpg.9847231662f5b0a63dc074db658d149e.jpg

Hope no one minds me posting as I wonder if anyone can help, I've managed to get most parts I need but have drawn a blank at Great Eastern Carriage buffers, does anyone make them in oo gauge? I think I've tried all the regular sources I can think of and so far drawn a blank. Any help gratefully received.

Martyn

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1