Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The LSW C14 has slide valves, outside admission is normal for these. The LMS Garratts definitely had backward leaning return cranks but the valve rod is pinned above the valve spindle rather than below. 

Another engine that I forgot was Big Bertha which had outside admission hence ‘backward cranks’ and radius rods below the valve rods. It was also unique* in having four cylinders but only two valves.

*Unique until proved otherwise.

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely stuff Ian,

Many thanks for showing us.

Just so I get this right, for inside admission the return crank leans forward at bottom dead centre, and backwards for outside admission? 

Which means I'm right about the LMS Garratts having backward-leaning return cranks, but wrong about the Fowler 2-6-2Ts.

Regards

True - as far as I know.

Ian R

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

If you are looking for a guide how to make scenery it's on the video on the right hand side of the screen!

Jason

Specifically light weight scenery for exhibition layouts.  Wall paper paste and paper or pollyfilla seem to be options.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mark Laidlay said:

There's extruded foam under the embankment in the photo with chux PVAed (white glue) then paint, it's the next layer to smooth out the finish before applying grass etc. that I need next.

Mark

10 hours ago, MarkC said:

In that case, I would still go for the newspaper & wallpaper paste layer, Mark. Indeed, if you add powder paint to the paste, that then saves having to put the base coat on once it's all dried out.

Mark

10 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Quite a few people nowadays use "J-Cloths" (or the supermarket own-brand equivalent) over lattice frames woven from narrow strips cut from cereal-box cardboard. Cheap, easy and very light. If the texture shows through just add a layer or two of kitchen-roll paper.

If you leave the back open, strength can be maximised by covering both sides of the lattice.

Cheap "trade" PVA can be substituted for wallpaper paste; I remember the latter occasionally going mouldy on an unpainted underside in the past, though it may be fully synthetic these days. 

I'm not keen on using newspaper covering as the ink can "burn through" some paints. Screwed up balls of it can usefully be employed as  temporary supports while the structure goes off, though.

John   

Chux in Australia are the same as J-Cloths in the UK.

I've seen exhibition layouts round here that have used Chux soaked in runny plaster, coloured with brown powder paint, rather than PVA. That smooths out and fills the weave more easily, leaving it ready for texturing.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I must say it looks very good Jason.

Regards Lez.

And with that the video has disappeared after being on daily for months!

It's the building Little Bytham one. I think if you have "Gold" membership you might not get it.

Found it on the other page. Just below Alfred and Judy.

Screenshot2024-01-04223453.png.cd6def9c92942d938ff79d092a920554.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You do realise that is Brian Mosby?

Jason

Yes, I have bought from 247  Developments when it was owned by Errol Surman, then Gary Wells and latterly Brian Mosby.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Blue roll towel! That takes me back.

Learned all my basic scenery construction skills from Mike Cook of York show fame. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Not that you'd ever know it, looking at my attempts at 'joinery' over the years!

Oh I don't know, I mean look at your wiring....

Apologies for that cheap shot, and as I recall Doug and I worked it all out without you that time in Folkestone, towards the end of the last Century.

Happy days!

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Another engine that I forgot was Big Bertha which had outside admission hence ‘backward cranks’ and radius rods below the valve rods. It was also unique* in having four cylinders but only two valves.

True - as far as I know.

Ian R

Good afternoon Ian,

Yes, I'd also forgotten about Big Bertha.

BigBertha22.jpg.80191981499f1d6facd3af49ece407ef.jpg

I built a DJH kit of it for a customer in Thailand. 

BigBerthaE.jpg.0e7e6e369eba04a20d24ead98de53b75.jpg

Geoff Haynes painted it.

I got the return crank's angle correct.

BigBerthaD.jpg.b59dd3bd325191e7de87ebd16761ea06.jpg

On both sides.

BrianLeestock18DJHBigBertha.jpg.204e8a00acd9ffff8934b76fc47c3933.jpg

I also sold one from the collection of the late Brian Lee (it, too, has the correct lean).

Who would have thought that this unique loco would be offered RTR? 

DJHLNERGarratt.jpg.1193a0cd6a554a51650311517b637cc6.jpg

As many who thought that this unique loco would also be offered RTR? 

Built from a DJH kit by a friend, it's in as first-steamed condition, with round buffers.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

22 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

True - as far as I know.

Ian R

I can't bring to mind the loco type, but I feel I've read of another British example of an actually-built four cylinder loco with only two shared valve chests, requiring four piston valve heads on each spindle, possibly combining one pair of inside and one pair of outside admission cylinders.

Had Baldwin's persuaded the GCR to take up the offer of their 2-10-2 scheme circa 1913, the only drawing I know of strongly suggests just two sets of valves between the frames for the intended four cylinders, all four being outside the frames working as yoked pairs on just two huge crossheads...

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/01/2024 at 09:21, t-b-g said:

One of the reasons why Gresley liked the 3 cylinder designs rather than 2 is because the power was applied more evenly to the driving wheels.

At the risk of being an ignoramus, my understanding is that the reason for going to >2 cylinders is that the British loading gauge does not permit outside cylinders > 21.5 " (I'm basing this on a remark made by Churchward at an ICE meeting, Sadly the ICE indexing system has him as Churchyard).

So if you need more power than two 21.5" cylinders can supply, you have to chose between 3 and 4 cylinders. Gresley went three. GWR went four. Neither right. Neither wrong.  Both give the possibility of reducing hammer, with four better than three, but at a maintenance price in complexity and lubricants.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, DenysW said:

At the risk of being an ignoramus, my understanding is that the reason for going to >2 cylinders is that the British loading gauge does not permit outside cylinders > 21.5 " (I'm basing this on a remark made by Churchward at an ICE meeting, Sadly the ICE indexing system has him as Churchyard).

So if you need more power than two 21.5" cylinders can supply, you have to chose between 3 and 4 cylinders. Gresley went three. GWR went four. Neither right. Neither wrong.  Both give the possibility of reducing hammer, with four better than three, but at a maintenance price in complexity and lubricants.

That is quite right but there were a number of very competent heavy freight locos that managed perfectly well with 2 outside cylinders, including the excellent GWR 28xx and Stanier 8F, BR 9F and many more.

So 3 or 4 cylinders were not strictly needed to get the power output needed to haul the trains.

So my view is that a decision to fit more cylinders, especially on a heavy freight loco, was done for other reasons, such as more even application of that power to the rails. The LNER main line was an interesting one for heavy coal trains and working them between the frequent and fast passenger trains gave the operating department lots of headaches. Getting a heavy coal train moving a bit easier and quicker was a factor that not many routes had to deal with in the same way.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It's interesting to see varying methods of scenery (etc) construction. Lots of usefull ideas.

I remember my first attempt with my old TT layout back in the late 60's, Mod Roc (plaster impregnated bandage cloth) was the new wonder material back then. Just crumple up and dampen newspapers, wet the Mod Rock strip and make an absolute mess - loads of fun, happy days !!!!

On my loft layout (and a bit in my garage) I use green hanging basket liner strip from Garden Centers, a usefull scenic base material.

image.png.99779a725a88428e2a413dc094768c4b.png

image.png.ce5be386f00cd971d2aeb88f5601e843.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Pride-Hanging-Basket-Liner/dp/B087PKMFC2

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DenysW said:

Sadly the ICE indexing system has him as Churchyard

A grave error. Perhaps to be expected of the ICE, whose expertise is mainly in digging holes then filling them in again.

St Enodoc BSc CEng FIMechE

• Funny 5

11 hours ago, APOLLO said:

It's interesting to see varying methods of scenery (etc) construction. Lots of usefull ideas.

I remember my first attempt with my old TT layout back in the late 60's, Mod Roc (plaster impregnated bandage cloth) was the new wonder material back then. Just crumple up and dampen newspapers, wet the Mod Rock strip and make an absolute mess - loads of fun, happy days !!!!

On my loft layout (and a bit in my garage) I use green hanging basket liner strip from Garden Centers, a usefull scenic base material.

image.png.99779a725a88428e2a413dc094768c4b.png

image.png.ce5be386f00cd971d2aeb88f5601e843.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Pride-Hanging-Basket-Liner/dp/B087PKMFC2

Brit15

Good morning God of the Sun,

The lower image shows the stuff I used as part of the basic scenic dressing on Little Bytham. 

It was bought from our local garden centre, Waterside, just south of Bourne. With a month's worth of rain falling locally in 24 hours, unfortunately it's no longer beside the water, it's underneath it! 

So many local properties have also been swamped...........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Excellent, cardboard, paper and PVA, what more does any boy need? Especially the son of a woodwork teacher....

Outside I have found steel, concrete and dirt to be excellent substitutes.

But my "grass" is anything but static(!)

IMG_8128.jpg.2b1869d5bad3656ceaeb44c97c66e5b2.jpg

Happy New Year to all and here's to building more trains!

Simon

Ah! A garden railway. I grew up with an extensive garden railway built by Dad - coarse scale gauge 0 built through rockeries and alongside lawns at ground level. Proper ballast, Bassett Lowke factory made track with timber sleepers, a liberal coating of creosote so it even smelled like a railway on a hot sunny day. After 50 years, the railway was dismantled and the track is being reused in a garden railway in Trowbridge. 

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1