Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The latest DJH A1 is now complete..............

DJHA16012611.jpg.663bfbe7b8fab7ad4b2bd7da4f8f580b.jpg

Taken from the 'offside', just to be different. 

As this kit approaches its 50th birthday, I still consider it one of the best on the market. 

I wonder how many have been built over the decades? I've built over 30, and the one above certainly won't be the last. It used to be the one most-popular with my customers. 

Does anyone else have examples of DJH A1s, please?

Absolutely lovely, Tony and I bet it runs as nice as it looks.

Many years ago, in my (much) younger days, I used to build kits for a model shop in Guildford. This started off as a means to earn money whilst a student at the university there, but later became a major strand of my enjoyment of this wonderful hobby of ours. In fact, I continued building kits for the shop (proprietor was Mike Day, if anyone remembers him) for almost 10 years after leaving university, well into the early years of my career with British Rail.

One of the last kits I built for him (maybe even the last?) was actually a DJH A1. Come the end, Mike was happy for me to present him with the loco in grey primer and he then passed it on to Brian Badger for painting (although to begin with, I used to paint and line the models for him myself).

Most of the kits I built for Mike were from the likes of DJH, Wills, Kemilway etc. It was a very good way to build up experience but by the time I had my first exhibition layout ready for showing ('Engine Wood'), I realised that I had hardly any locos or stock to run on it, so I borrowed heavily from Simon ('Not Jeremy') for several years, until I had built enough of my own.

Although I took photos of some of my early builds for the shop, unfortunately I cannot find any of that A1.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Absolutely lovely, Tony and I bet it runs as nice as it looks.

Many years ago, in my (much) younger days, I used to build kits for a model shop in Guildford. This started off as a means to earn money whilst a student at the university there, but later became a major strand of my enjoyment of this wonderful hobby of ours. In fact, I continued building kits for the shop (proprietor was Mike Day, if anyone remembers him) for almost 10 years after leaving university, well into the early years of my career with British Rail.

One of the last kits I built for him (maybe even the last?) was actually a DJH A1. Come the end, Mike was happy for me to present him with the loco in grey primer and he then passed it on to Brian Badger for painting (although to begin with, I used to paint and line the models for him myself).

Most of the kits I built for Mike were from the likes of DJH, Wills, Kemilway etc. It was a very good way to build up experience but by the time I had my first exhibition layout ready for showing ('Engine Wood'), I realised that I had hardly any locos or stock to run on it, so I borrowed heavily from Simon ('Not Jeremy') for several years, until I had built enough of my own.

Although I took photos of some of my early builds for the shop, unfortunately I cannot find any of that A1.

Thanks Captain,

I've thoroughly-tested the new A1 this morning.........

DJHA16012612Apanning.jpg.85c9f0275d6ac1652e86ef4120da424c.jpg

It was very happy (at very high speed) on an express.

DJHA16012613panning.jpg.b33a1c81c4beda26bd5b20dd8937e7b3.jpg

And just as happy (if slightly slower) on a fully-fitted goods.

According to my schoolboy notes, I only saw 60126 (which this will become) once.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

After taking panning shots of my new A1, I thought I'd take some others featuring recent items.............

Pro-ScaleB1panning01.jpg.33c5d9d103ac82c76b3278be6b7c324d.jpg

My new Pro-Scale B1.

LittleEnginesO47panning02.jpg.16ad71e74b2ffb97624c24a2be0504a2.jpg

And my new Little Engines O4/7.

RapidoDynamometerCarpanning01.jpg.4879cfe8ab1d477e26f5bd895e802d4a.jpg

And Rapido's Dynamometer Car, behind my latest (new last year) Nu-Cast K2.

Somewhere on the GE main line in early BR days..................

I'm slightly amused when taking shots like this, inasmuch as I get one 'reasonable' image from between a dozen and 15 shots with the D3 set on 'burst' model. I just dump the duds. I don't think I'd have tried this process using film. Think of the waste!

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 16

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Can't help with stockists but I'd be inclined to go down a size rather than up, if that helps.

Same issue I'm afraid, closest size down I can see is 6' 19 spoke for the Black Five. Still out of stock with Wizard

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The first experiments in teddy bear fur did indeed follow on from a trip to see Leamington Spa. The first area of "Wolf" fabric came from there. John McCrea then contacted the supplier and obtained a substantial roll.

John and I played around with a few techniques, including the heating treatment, which is designed to make the individual strands of fur curl and be less dead straight. One demo, at Glasgow show, resulted in a small fire in John's toolbox but that is another story! We experimented with various colouring techniques and adopted a dry brushing method, using mostly acrylic "Sap Green" but allowing much of the yellow of the fabric to show through. We preferred that to the soaking it in green dye or paint that others have done but that is personal choice and both methods work.

John got hold of some dog clippers, along with some upgraded blades, as the ones that came with the clippers became blunt very quickly. He measured out, cut to size and trimmed the fabric and I did the detailing, using cheapo hairspray and a range of different scenic materials to add variety and texture. I can't recall who did the basic colouring. I certainly did some as I can remember coming home with very green fingers but we may have shared that task. The drainage ditches fences, hedges, bushes and old allotment huts were done by me.

It was really the start of the "Retford Mob". Roy was making little progress and I had started going over and spending some time with him. He was disheartened and felt that the layout would not progress any further as John Phillips and Geoff Kent had little interest in getting involved. I had said that although I could never replace those two, I would be willing to have a go at some scenic work. I had only just started when John McCrea arrived on the scene and we worked together on the area around the crossing. Gradually, one or two other started coming along and contributing in one way or another and it soon became a regular working session. Out of all of us, I would happily credit John McCrea with having by far the biggest input and he has really achieved a huge amount of progress in the scenic work and in the buildings.  

This video of Retford from 2003 shows what it was like before that work was done. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Can't help with stockists but I'd be inclined to go down a size rather than up, if that helps.

16 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Good evening everyone.

I'm on the hunt for some (4) Markits 6' 2" 18 Spoke Driving wheels for my LRM NER G class, but everywhere seems to be out of stock. Does anyone know where I can find some, or if anyone has any surplus to requirements? They're also sold as A2, B1, P2 and V2 driving wheels.

I actually need 6' 1.25" for the G class, but these are the closest I can find!

- Dylan

Dylan, 

would also commend that you go for a slightly smaller diameter wheel as suggested if you can't find the ones you want from Markits (the catalogue available online is dated 2013). Wheels were often turned when worn in service, reducing the effective diameter by up to 1.5". So a 6ft wheel would be okay, although you may have to compromise on  the number of spokes.

Alan Gibson also list the wheel for the V2 but you may prefer to stick with a slightly inaccurate 6ft Markits wheel for ease of fitting.

Jol

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Dylan, 

would also commend that you go for a slightly smaller diameter wheel as suggested if you can't find the ones you want from Markits (the catalogue available online is dated 2013). Wheels were often turned when worn in service, reducing the effective diameter by up to 1.5". So a 6ft wheel would be okay, although you may have to compromise on  the number of spokes.

Alan Gibson also list the wheel for the V2 but you may prefer to stick with a slightly inaccurate 6ft Markits wheel for ease of fitting.

Jol

Thanks Joe, I'll try and find something. I don't like using Gibson, the quality seems ok for wagon wheels, but that's about it.

If you are the Joe Wilkinson that designed this kit, my hat comes off for you. It's absolutely superb and is a joy to build. I'm already wanting to build a second!

Dylan

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hi Dylan

yes that is one of the loco kits I designed for John at LRM. the others all being LNWR. Great to hear that you are enjoying it. This is my built version (I had a bit of practise building the two test etches). I don't have the skill to line the wheels and a few other livery details may be a bit inaccurate. This despite having bought several NER loco textbooks when creating the design artwork.

G1assembled.jpg.845099893de831f0c3419b45a3dbfc88.jpg

679 has Sharman P4 plastic centred wheels with 20 spokes, which I happened to have in stock when I built the loco. Having just one green engine amongst all the black ones made me worry that it might be a bit lonely so I have a Tennant 2-4-0 kit to build and a friend is building a set of D&S NER clerestory carriages to run with them (I have agreed running rights for the NER on London Road).

One point if I may, my name is Jol (short for Jolyon). Having an unusual name has made me conscious of getting peoples names right.

Jol

Thanks Jol,

here’s where mine is at the moment. Chassis built and making good progress with the body.

IMG_2294.jpeg.c51d446abc23ad6417b479e7689c1d61.jpeg

IMG_2295.jpeg.95fdd0276db4c002fa308e9eba888909.jpeg

If you’re still in the kit designing business, we’re in desperate need of a Tennant! The Kimber kit is being increasingly hard to find now.

and apologies about the name, that’ll be autocorrect kicking in!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Thanks Jol,

here’s where mine is at the moment. Chassis built and making good progress with the body.

IMG_2294.jpeg.c51d446abc23ad6417b479e7689c1d61.jpeg

IMG_2295.jpeg.95fdd0276db4c002fa308e9eba888909.jpeg

If you’re still in the kit designing business, we’re in desperate need of a Tennant! The Kimber kit is being increasingly hard to find now.

and apologies about the name, that’ll be autocorrect kicking in!

Hi Dylan,

looking good. Are you going for the challenge of the opening (sliding) cab windows?

Ironically the other NER loco kit I have yet to build is a Tennant, bought s/h from Australia through the S4 Society Forum. I particularly like 2-4-0s and 4-4-0s so was happy to get it, especially as I wanted to see what one of Arthur Kimber's kits are like. The previous owner had removed most of the parts from the etch, and assembled a few parts, so it is something of a jigsaw. Fortunately a 

My kit designing days are over for several reasons, the major one being a problem with my right eye which makes computer work rather uncomfortable. I have read that Arthur's daughter hopes to get his kits back into production, so keep your fingers crossed. 

Jol

• Friendly/supportive 10

3 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hi Dylan,

looking good. Are you going for the challenge of the opening (sliding) cab windows?

Ironically the other NER loco kit I have yet to build is a Tennant, bought s/h from Australia through the S4 Society Forum. I particularly like 2-4-0s and 4-4-0s so was happy to get it, especially as I wanted to see what one of Arthur Kimber's kits are like. The previous owner had removed most of the parts from the etch, and assembled a few parts, so it is something of a jigsaw. Fortunately a 

My kit designing days are over for several reasons, the major one being a problem with my right eye which makes computer work rather uncomfortable. I have read that Arthur's daughter hopes to get his kits back into production, so keep your fingers crossed. 

Jol

Thanks Jol,

I haven't yet worked out how to do the sliding windows. I've already soldered in the outside frames to them, so if I can still do it and work out how, I'll give it a go.

Yes, Arthur's daughter is helping him with it, I received a R class from her last week. She said they're sending out an availability list next week so am hoping the Tennant is on there.

Many thanks,

Dylan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Yes, Arthur's daughter is helping him with it, I received a R class from her last week. She said they're sending out an availability list next week

Dylan,

What's the best way to get hold of that list?

Steve

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Thanks Joe, I'll try and find something. I don't like using Gibson, the quality seems ok for wagon wheels, but that's about it.

If you are the Joe Wilkinson that designed this kit, my hat comes off for you. It's absolutely superb and is a joy to build. I'm already wanting to build a second!

Dylan

Never had any problems with Gibson loco wheels.. and I seem to have used lots of them especially as the Markits wheels are very hard to get hold of (and are a bit wide treaded).

Bad

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, robertcwp said:

This video of Retford from 2003 shows what it was like before that work was done. 

That  video is exactly as I first met Roy at Retford! Operation boards outside at the front, minimal fiddle yards and hardly any scenic areas.

The basic  grounding around the flat crossing was started by Richard Nice and myself,  then T-B-G and Buccaneer John completed the area and started the teddy bear fur work. 

That is where I met Rich, and became involved in many exhibition operating weekends with his Stainmore Summit.

Pete

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Same issue I'm afraid, closest size down I can see is 6' 19 spoke for the Black Five. Still out of stock with Wizard

Good evening Dylan,

Having just exchanged PMs, I thought a comment on here might promote more messages of help than anything I might offer.

You're building the loco in question in P4. If so (apart from setting-up/testing frames during construction) any Markits drivers will be of no use for running on P4 track (unless anyone knows differently). Some folk won't even use them in EM because the tyres are too wide (though I've never had any issues in that regard). 

You've asked my advice/help in building your P4 frames. You're asking the wrong person, I'm afraid. The most-accurate 4mm gauge will never give me what I want (which Bytham does - 21 A1s now!), and, more importantly, I don't have anything like the requisite skills to build locos to such 'fine' standards, nor ever will. 

Hence this post. I'm sure there are many who contribute on here who'll help you.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Dylan,

Having just exchanged PMs, I thought a comment on here might promote more messages of help than anything I might offer.

You're building the loco in question in P4. If so (apart from setting-up/testing frames during construction) any Markits drivers will be of no use for running on P4 track (unless anyone knows differently). Some folk won't even use them in EM because the tyres are too wide (though I've never had any issues in that regard). 

You've asked my advice/help in building your P4 frames. You're asking the wrong person, I'm afraid. The most-accurate 4mm gauge will never give me what I want (which Bytham does - 21 A1s now!), and, more importantly, I don't have anything like the requisite skills to build locos to such 'fine' standards, nor ever will. 

Hence this post. I'm sure there are many who contribute on here who'll help you.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony,

I have a friend who turns down Markits/Romford wheels into P4, he did some for my E1 (J72) and they look the business. My frames are fully built, square and sprung with CSB, so it's just the mounting of the motor that needs to be done now. Like I said on our PM, I've got your DVD, so that should help.

Many thanks,

Dylan

• Like 4

Hi Tony and fellow modellers, l am in the process of  starting to place lamps on the front and rear of my trains.

My question is, does the brake van on a fully fitted freight train in BR steam days have side lamps fitted?

E.g., red light facing to the rear and a white light facing forward. 

Unable to find many photos covering  this subject.

Regards

Greg Mills

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pete55 said:

That  video is exactly as I first met Roy at Retford! Operation boards outside at the front, minimal fiddle yards and hardly any scenic areas.

The basic  grounding around the flat crossing was started by Richard Nice and myself,  then T-B-G and Buccaneer John completed the area and started the teddy bear fur work. 

That is where I met Rich, and became involved in many exhibition operating weekends with his Stainmore Summit.

Pete

Hello Pete,

When I first started going, the basic groundwork along the front area was in place and painted brown (like the are around the West Carr Road bridge in the video) and the controls were already on the inside. I had thought it was around 2002/3 but perhaps it was a bit later if the 2003 date on the video is correct.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Pete,

When I first started going, the basic groundwork along the front area was in place and painted brown (like the are around the West Carr Road bridge in the video) and the controls were already on the inside. I had thought it was around 2002/3 but perhaps it was a bit later if the 2003 date on the video is correct.

I think I started going around 2006 ish, I don’t ever recall seeing controls on the front. I bought Strove around 2009 from a contact via “Retford” and by that time I’d been going regularly for a couple of years. I might have some images of those early days, however Roy’s reluctance for pictures to be taken means there’s very few.

On 07/01/2024 at 03:45, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Bernard,

The loss of a beloved pet is especially heart-rending (I speak from personal experience!). 

So far, even though she's actually walked on Little Bytham, Jilly hasn't settled down to dozing on the hanging basket liner. 

I think she prefers .............

Jilly2332203.jpg.b7e538d54fedc6b3bf01ab80e9738713.jpg

Just being a tart! 

She's the one who meets and greets all our visitors, and everyone seems to fall in love with her (even those who profess not to like cats). No one is allowed to see the railway unless they've petted her first. 

So many of my railway modelling friends have a great affection for cats.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

It’s all fun and games until you’re under the table trying to coax her out. 

B3DF3D90-9337-4E7D-B83A-504F94DF1442.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

It’s all fun and games until you’re under the table trying to coax her out. 

B3DF3D90-9337-4E7D-B83A-504F94DF1442.jpeg

Might I suggest donning protective gear, and a water pistol?

• Funny 5

13 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Thanks Tony,

I have a friend who turns down Markits/Romford wheels into P4, he did some for my E1 (J72) and they look the business. My frames are fully built, square and sprung with CSB, so it's just the mounting of the motor that needs to be done now. Like I said on our PM, I've got your DVD, so that should help.

Many thanks,

Dylan

Dylan,

I suggest you ask the question on the S4 Forum where, I am sure, a number of CSB proponents will offer practical advice.

In essence the motor needs to be able to move a small amount freely, but as I have never built a set of frames with CSB I can't offer any firm advice.

Jol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Pete,

Hi T-b-g,

Was Roy's workbench shed (in the shed) built when you first came? That was around 2004 when I did that.

Pete